Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:39   #9586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
OT: Which is the famous dosa shop? What's the name and location?
I do not remember the name of the shop. As you proceed towards NGV on the Ganapathi temple main road, just after the 5th cross road (this is perpendicular to the ganapathi temple main road), look towards your right.
You will see lot of people hanging around an auto rickshaw that has been converted into a kind of dosa stall. This is the famous dosa shop I am talking about.
You get all kinds of dosa.
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:15   #9587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I visited Bangalore city two weeks ago. First time being there. It was a Sunday. I noticed a couple of aspects.

1. The roads are quite narrow.
2. People seem to drive in lanes vs. NCR driving.
3. Most cars did not have scratches on the back. Here all cars are scratched.
4. The airport is really really far from Bannerghatta Road.
5. The flyovers are again narrow, and easily get choked. Really quick.
I recently moved from Bangalore to Gurgaon, quiet frankly both are almost same in terms of traffic and congestion. Earlier we loved the good quality roads of GoodGaon which possibly lasted till the meagre rains decided to lash the city, post that the roads have same size and depth craters as they were in Bangalore (makes us feel at home )

The driving sense is bad in GoodGaon (as compared to Bangalore), if not careful you might get surely run over by someone, people are in eternal hurry.

One place you can see this is when parents come to drop kids to school. Bangalore was not so scary as near school folks behaved (In my experience), here i am scared to drop my daughter far off from school gate.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:00   #9588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I recently moved from Bangalore to Gurgaon, quiet frankly both are almost same in terms of traffic and congestion. Earlier we loved the good quality roads of GoodGaon which possibly lasted till the meagre rains decided to lash the city, post that the roads have same size and depth craters as they were in Bangalore (makes us feel at home )

The driving sense is bad in GoodGaon (as compared to Bangalore), if not careful you might get surely run over by someone, people are in eternal hurry.

One place you can see this is when parents come to drop kids to school. Bangalore was not so scary as near school folks behaved (In my experience), here i am scared to drop my daughter far off from school gate.
It depends where you are in GGN. The Cyber City area is quite bad, and same with the metro rail areas. Though if you move to Sohna Road, Sector 50 types of places with high towers, the roads are wide. Overall there is congestion. But yea, people are boorish and brash here. Gurgaon exploded 10-15 years ago. So there is a huge influx of extremely rich people, with minimal education and ethical manners. No one cares for anyone.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:15   #9589
BHPian

Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls today morning were like extended version of KR Puram and Silk Board. The lane discipline was thoroughly missing. Everyone including some cars with tbhp stickers were behaving like some of the yellow boards we see in Bangalore on daily basis. It felt like a wrong decision to take this route on an extended weekend. The restaurants enroute looked like refugee camps. No parking spot, no place to eat and more importantly felt like a "langar' than a paid restaurant.
Only good thing which I did was not to take the elevated toll road from silkboard to EC. The jam on that toll booth was over the elevated section for roughly about 1km at 7am.

Last edited by adi_gt : 22nd October 2015 at 13:37.
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:50   #9590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls today morning were like extended version of KR Puram and Silk Board.
The other hand KR Puram & Tin factory were like Krishnagiri toll booth on workday noon hours
For the first time in months Kasthuri Nagar to my office (including crossing Doddanekkundi signal) lasted less than 20 minutes!
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 20:46   #9591
Distinguished - BHPian

Madiwala road is officially the worst road in city limits. One has to drive/ride over the stretch to appreciate its beauty.. there are atleast 5-6 layers on this road- the tallest layer being the patchwork done over a (hold your breath) existing patchwork! From there on it just goes lower and lower thanks to potholes with depths varying from 4-6 inches and diameter of over 2-3 feet. Ample buses passing over this stretch every minute will ensure that potholes will grow by the day.

Its not just the condition of it, but also an equally well planned bus-stop at the end of the road which would block about 66% of the road at the turning point. Then there are jaywalking citizens, vegetable purchasers stopping their vehicles in a no-park zone occupying the total right side at times & of course the numerous vehicles going through this rigmarole of a road. Hope this road is left untouched for another couple of years, hey no one is complaining, are we?

Last edited by dark.knight : 24th October 2015 at 20:48.
Old 24th October 2015, 23:32   #9592
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Madiwala road is officially the worst road in city limits.
Well, its always good to get a perspective, but hey wait!
Purely in terms of road conditions I think there are at least 2 close contenders - the ITPL Road from Bhoruka/ABB Junction upto Big Bazaar junction alternates between extremely bad and bad. I have to endure this every working day. And during the last couple of days I found one more - Nandidurga Road
BBMP, BWSSB and other agencies care a lot about heritage and history so with these roads they've taken us to pre-historic times! Most days I see a dust storm at the ABB junction.
Old 25th October 2015, 02:31   #9593
BHPian

Drove to Girinagar and back on Friday 23rd Oct. Started from office in Mahadevapura around 5pm and reached by 6pm via old madras road and mysore road . With traffic very light, the drive was a pleasure. Returned back via outer ring road again in one hour. How I wish Bangalore had such light traffic always. On other fridays, using old madras road and mysore road would be suicide
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 08:43   #9594
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49521655.cms

Quote:
Bangalore Traffic Police intends to roll out a lane discipline drive in three corridors - road to KIA and elevated expressways of Hosur Road and Tumkur Road - from mid-November. Before that, by the month-end, a massive drive against on-road use of cellphones will be taken up by traffic police.
Mobile Phone Usage
Quote:
The drive against on-road cellphone use will start from this month-end. A person caught for the first time will be fined Rs 200. On second offence, the fine amount will be Rs 600. Third-time offenders will have to pay a fine of Rs 600 and their driving licence will be kept under suspension for a minimum period of three months, Saleem added.

"Prior to this drive, BTP will come out with hoardings and pamphlets educating people on how dangerous it is to drive while talking. Then, the campaign will begin and last for 10 days, he added. Even talking through bluetooth or speaker phone is not permissible under the law. These days, people not only talk, but resort to messaging as well while driving. This is putting the lives of others in danger. The time has come to treat the use of cellphone while driving as a bigger threat to the city's traffic," he further explained.
Lane Discipline - Pilot on 3 Roads
Quote:
"Once the cellphone use drive ends, we will launch another drive to induce lane discipline. In the first stage, we will start disciplining people on KIA road, Tumkur and Hosur Road elevated roads. The left lane is meant only for goods and commercial vehicles. The right lane is for fast-moving vehicles such as cars. The mid lane will be meant for goods vehicles and buses," Saleem said.

"On the road to KIA, buses and cabs cause a lot of inconvenience to others. Buses cannot come onto the right lane. Similarly, cabs should be on the right lane without overtaking. The speed limit for fast moving cars on these roads is 80 kmph. Speed limit for buses is 50 kmph. For goods vehicles, it is 40 kmph. People should not exceed speed limits." Saleem said. The fine amount for lane violation is Rs 100.

Saleem added that BMTC buses are the biggest culprits on the city's roads. So far, traffic police have booked 46,718 cases against BMTC drivers this year. Out of these, around 26,000 cases are for parking in no-parking zones and disturbing vehicular movement.
My Observations
  • As always, nice intentions, particularly in enforcing lane discipline amongst buses and cabs. Will these intentions carry over to enforcement, or will it turn out that only the soft targets (i.e. white boards) will be targeted?
  • I'd also like to know more about how BMTC handles those cases - do they ignore them (similar to how you can't get TP insurance from a BMTC bus that hits you), or do they pay the fines (using our tax money)?
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 09:07   #9595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Well, its always good to get a perspective, but hey wait!
Purely in terms of road conditions I think there are at least 2 close contenders - the ITPL Road from Bhoruka/ABB Junction upto Big Bazaar junction alternates between extremely bad and bad. I have to endure this every working day. And during the last couple of days I found one more - Nandidurga Road
BBMP, BWSSB and other agencies care a lot about heritage and history so with these roads they've taken us to pre-historic times! Most days I see a dust storm at the ABB junction.
The ABB stretch is bad but nowhere as bad as Madivala Market. For a practical comparison, I can take the left lane in front of ABB in case I spot a line of trucks crawling in the right and pass them successfully. Especially my SX4 breezes past the muddy stretch. If I ever tried to to that in the right lane in front of Madivala market, I would have to walk back and collect various parts of the suspension lying on the road. Pure jeep territory
Old 25th October 2015, 09:26   #9596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The ABB stretch is bad but nowhere as bad as Madivala Market.
Bro, check the road conditions of Basvanpura Main road from Ayappa Nagar to Battrahalli signal ( on NH4). It's a moon surface with 2km of only tractorable roads.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 09:37   #9597
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ABB stretch is bad but nowhere as bad as Madivala Market. For a practical comparison, I can take the left lane in front of ABB in case I spot a line of trucks crawling in the right and pass them successfully. Especially my SX4 breezes past the muddy stretch.
I'm sure there are several other roads in Bangalore that are very bad, so time to have a poll ? Quite sure there are folks on the forum who travel regularly on various roads in Bangalore and they will all have one or more recommendations for this list!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 07:06   #9598
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Had to attend a wedding reception last evening in one of the convention centers in Rajajainagar industrial area and it was a dream drive, totally unexpected.
Started at 7:15pm from near Commercial Street and was at the venue by 7:55pm

Took the Chalukya circle-Race Course-Sivananda circle-Seshadripuram-Platform road-Okalipuram-Bhashyam circle-Rajajinagar-Chord Road route
Old 26th October 2015, 07:15   #9599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ABB stretch is bad but nowhere as bad as Madivala Market. For a practical comparison, I can take the left lane in front of ABB in case I spot a line of trucks crawling in the right and pass them successfully. Especially my SX4 breezes past the muddy stretch. If I ever tried to to that in the right lane in front of Madivala market, I would have to walk back and collect various parts of the suspension lying on the road. Pure jeep territory
The Madiwala market road is so bad that even the buses invariably slow down when they encounter a pothole. Looks like some construction work is going on in that road as I have seen some pipes lying on the side of the road.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 08:18   #9600
Team-BHP Support

Avoid Old Airport Road going into town. A private bus smashed into the rear of a Volvo bus near the Domlur junction. Traffic is backed up for miles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks