Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 14:41   #9766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Here are some pics (Some top secret project?) The army guys and traffic kept waiting at a distance:
Is that a bomb squad (one army personal holding helmet)? Or might be they were carrying something important and the vehicle broke down!
Old 6th November 2015, 14:46   #9767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Here are some pics (Some top secret project?) The army guys and traffic kept waiting at a distance:
Is that the EC flyover?
Old 6th November 2015, 16:02   #9768
BHPian

All the discussions we did in the above 652 pages seemed useless when i read this: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...m_campaign=TOI
Old 6th November 2015, 16:15   #9769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
It is cheaper to drive my Petrol Sedan to office which is 4 KMs away than come by a BMTC volvo which is crowded. Why should I then leave the comfort of my car and walk to a bus stop that is 500 meters away through a dusty road (or slushy if it rains) and wait at the bus stop exposed to dust, sun and deal with conductors who either do not have change or not give tickets to pocket the money that I give?

For the past 1 week, I am taking a cab to work since my car is in the workshop. I did a cost comparison of various travel options for going to office and back (5 KM one way).
1. Cab - Rs. 200 -- Can go up-to 400 or more when surge pricing is on.
2. Auto - Rs. 200 -- Provided I manage to convince the fellow to come for the trip in the first place.
3. Volvo Bus - Rs. 60 -- Plus a walk of ~1.5 KMs and two dangerous road crossings.
4. Car - Rs. 48 -- One liter of diesel even if I assume a modest FE of 10 KM/l.

I don't foresee myself ditching my car anytime in the near future.
Jaguar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 17:00   #9770
BHPian

Some relief finally.

Name:  wp_ss_20151106_0001.png
Views: 920
Size:  183.5 KB
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 17:32   #9771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Some relief finally.
Is that what they put in a divider on the road for? Sorry but me thinks this is just going to add to the confusion.

On another note, smooth traffic today. I working from the home.
Old 6th November 2015, 17:36   #9772
BHPian

Well, I travelled from Jayanagara 9th block to Chokanahalli for nearly 3 weeks last year in June. Used to Leave home at 6 am and return around 10 pm. Thankfully, I got my posting at my preferred location or else I would have blown my top off navigating thru traffic.

Hats off to all BHPians who commute daily..
Old 6th November 2015, 17:37   #9773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I did a cost comparison of various travel options for going to office and back (5 KM one way)...

I don't foresee myself ditching my car anytime in the near future.
If you ride to office in a guzzler (relative terms) like RE or Duke (~30kmpl), it'll cost you less than Rs.25, which is at par with what you'd be paying for a non-AC bus ride. This is one reason for the burgeoning number of (reckless) 2-wheelers in the city.

BMTC is quite expensive compared to other city transport undertakings for short distances, unless you have a monthly pass (which is also not so economical for the higher class services).
Old 6th November 2015, 18:12   #9774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
For the past 1 week, I am taking a cab to work since my car is in the workshop. I did a cost comparison of various travel options for going to office and back (5 KM one way).
I have data going back to 2010; my Civic costs me (on fuel) between Rs. 6-7 per km - which means cost will not be the motivating factor for me to switch to public transport.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 22:58   #9775
Senior - BHPian

Was witness to one of the worst driven auto-rickshaws I have seen in my 23 years in Bangalore.

KA-01-AD-7870.

He was driving his auto as if he was getting the auto to dance to some Bollywood item number. I'm not even trying to joke here. It infuriates me to even think of how the was driving that auto. The rear of the auto was swerving around because of the sudden turns the auto driver was taking. Add to this whole mess incessant and unnecessary honking and close tailgating.

When I was beside him, he would intentionally try to scare me by suddenly turning into me. He seemed to have his friends with him, so I did not want to take a photo and land in trouble.

The auto was being driven today on Old Airport Road at around 9:00PM.

I actually was swearing under my helmet looking at him driving and had to get myself to calm down and ride unaffected. Wish I had pepper spray to spray on his face and get him to sit still for an hour!
Old 7th November 2015, 23:07   #9776
Distinguished - BHPian

Panathur road is dug up near Kadubeesinahalli junction. Expect a huge block once weekend ends, more so since rains are forecast for next few days.
Old 7th November 2015, 23:35   #9777
BHPian

Our standard and quality of living is going backwards as time progresses. When every other country is witnessing an increase in standard and quality of living, we are going down. Polluted air, water, lakes, ground water, bad to pathetic roads, pathetic traffic. There is just no end in sight.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 12:26   #9778
BHPian

For any app developer out there I have an idea. The app can be on our phones and it can map/plot speed and hence give a live view of the traffic situation. Map provider like google maps can take advantage of it as well.
Old 8th November 2015, 12:59   #9779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
For any app developer out there I have an idea. The app can be on our phones and it can map/plot speed and hence give a live view of the traffic situation. Map provider like google maps can take advantage of it as well.
Well, that's exactly what Google Traffic does when it colours routes as red/yellow/green based on traffic density.
Quote:
Google Traffic works by analyzing the GPS-determined locations transmitted to Google by a large number of mobile phone users. By calculating the speed of users along a length of road, Google is able to generate a live traffic map. Google processes the incoming raw data about mobile phone device locations, and then excludes anomalies. When a threshold of users in a particular area is noted, the overlay along roads and highways on the Google map changes color.
More info: https://googleblog.blogspot.in/2009/...n-traffic.html
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 18:39   #9780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Panathur road is dug up near Kadubeesinahalli junction. Expect a huge block once weekend ends, more so since rains are forecast for next few days.
Even the Chinnapanahalli road leading to the level crossing is in tatters. The recent rains have caused more havoc on the roads than before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks