Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 22:54   #9796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I took the Alpine Eco Road, Doddanekundi Main Road and reached Varthur Main Road today bypassing Marathahalli Bridge, Kundalahalli Gate, Brand Factory, etc. Definitely made the ride a lot better.

Riding a two wheeler in the rains is compounded by people using high beam. The bad visibility is just worsened by these people. :(

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Enough is enough, this isn't Cherrapunji, or is it?
Haha. What do you have to say about Bangalore, after today?
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 08:01   #9797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Haha. What do you have to say about Bangalore, after today?
Words cannot fully explain what I'd want to express, horrified is more like it and this is from someone who hates even the lightest of showers. Even to go to a nearby place (1.5 km) it took a full 55 minutes yesterday and the car+my driving skills were tested to their limits by way of flooded roads, sudden potholes, sheer lack of street-lighting, criss-crossing zombie drivers etc. Driving apart I was fiddling with the front wipers, rear-wipers, toggling the rear defroster and setting the heating level for the vents. I was also drenched twice (well first time my sweater took the beating) and 2nd time the shirt itself. As of yesterday evening I've developed a cold.

Who was that who equated rains to beauty again?
Old 10th November 2015, 08:48   #9798
BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/49727724.cms

Great news!!! Strangling already choked whitefield. How did they get permission to develop such a thing??
Old 10th November 2015, 08:57   #9799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post

Great news!!! Strangling already choked whitefield. How did they get permission to develop such a thing??

Embassy - Screwing up Bangalore traffic since the 21st century, and forever
World class facilities inside, but when you step out of this park, it is nothing but a stench filled lake and non existant roads.

They will obviously have enough links with the deaf government to get such approvals. Like they care about the current condition, the impact it will have on the Marathahalli-Varthur road and so. Thank god my office is shifting out of this area by the time this tech park comes up.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th November 2015 at 08:59.
Old 10th November 2015, 09:43   #9800
Senior - BHPian

I checked up Google Maps (on cell phone) at around 2030Hrs. Looks like even at that time every major road was having traffic jams. Banaswadi, and Kormanagala seems to have the maximum problems. Traffic jams were even there on Chandapura flyover (which is really outside city limits).

As I write this, it is still drizzling in EC side but thanks to a holiday less vehicles on the road. There are also frequent power cuts, so that even the most ardent atheist/disbeliever would have to celebrate Deepavali - by lighting "deepams", instead of sitting in the dark.
Old 10th November 2015, 14:23   #9801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

http://m.economictimes.com/news/poli...w/47465723.cms

Need anyone say more? He is now the minister for Bangalore

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th November 2015 at 14:23. Reason: Typo
Old 10th November 2015, 14:45   #9802
BHPian

Ecospace entry is in a complete mess today. I have seen bad traffic at this place, but today was heights. Traffic all the way from Ecospace flyover till Kadubeesanahalli underpass, the left service lane was choked as well, I almost decided to go back home and as I came down the flyover, saw that the Barricades right in front of the it has been removed (by Cops and they were manning the entry) and blocking the vehicles coming from the service lane. Huge bunch of cars just choking the entry point and almost eating 3/4th of the ORR. Phew, took 10 mins to negotiate the bunch and get into Ecospace, Anyone planning to reach Ecospace do WFH if possible
karts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 14:56   #9803
BHPian

I left office @4 yesterday, this made the drive peaceful. Needless to say the water logging and potholes on the ITPL main road were irritating. Plan to do the same today.

My colleague has started getting his Thar to office since a few days.

Me: 'I thought the Thar is for your off-road trips.'
My colleague: 'Is there a difference?'
sidzz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 15:28   #9804
Team-BHP Support

Took nearly 3 hours to commute home from Doddanekundi to BSK 3rd Stage yesterday, after having waited till 9 PM for traffic to subside

I'm staying home today and tomorrow, and possibly for the rest of the working week if things don't improve by Thursday. If only companies allowed permanent remote employees, I'd shift out in a heartbeat to my peaceful home in a tier 2 city, setup a full home office with all gadgets/power backup to ensure seamless availability and work/live forever in peace. Could always come in for the occasional 'physical presence mandatory' meetings. I can't fathom what's achieved by this daily torture we call 'commuting'. Please don't say enhanced productivity, I'm out of smileys to included an LOL in this post!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th November 2015 at 15:31.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 15:41   #9805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If only companies allowed permanent remote employees, I'd shift out in a heartbeat to my peaceful home in a tier 2 city, setup a full home office with all gadgets/power backup to ensure seamless availability and work/live forever in peace. Could always come in for the occasional 'physical presence mandatory' meetings. I can't fathom what's achieved by this daily torture we call 'commuting'. Please don't say enhanced productivity, I'm out of smileys to included an LOL in this post!
I second your thoughts. Few people in my previous organization used to do this but, not out of traffic frustration.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:29   #9806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Few people in my previous organization used to do this but, not out of traffic frustration.
Looking at Bangalore's traffic congestion in the recent past, I think this may well be the ONLY REASON for organisations to rework their staff commuting strategies.

IMO, the following have failed:
  • Start early to work and leave early from work - Worked really well initially, but like with everything else, everybody adopted this and we are back to square 1
  • Car pooling - Just doesn't work irrespective of the combinations, considering the various deadlines/responsibilities/obligations individuals may have.
  • Shifting your stay closer to work place - Sounds ideal but to a great extent an extremely difficult decision that involves loads of personal/family opinions
  • Better infrastructure management - This may never happen in Bangalore. One cannot blame cops entirely as there is only so much that a handful of them can do to control lakhs of commuters and their vehicles pouring into town everyday

Being born & brought up in this 'Once' Garden city, I can bet my bottom buck that Bangalore was never designed to cater to the congestion/rush/people in-flow that IT sector brought along. I almost shudder to imagine the future of this peaceful town.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 10th November 2015 at 16:34.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 11:01   #9807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Being born & brought up in this 'Once' Garden city, I can bet my bottom buck that Bangalore was never designed to cater to the congestion/rush/people in-flow that IT sector brought along. I almost shudder to imagine the future of this peaceful town.
Exactly. Especially the parts of Bangalore which have become IT infested. Having limited entry and exit points makes the whole area unsuitable for any expansion. To access the ITPL area, there are only three roads, one from KR Puram, Marathahalli and Varthur on the other side. Marathahalli bridge is the mandatory gateway for majority of the traffic. Similarly, outer ring road has very few main road junctions, rest of which are small village roads(once upon a time) and a few gullies which again was never meant to handle the kind of traffic that it bears today.

This lack of parallel roads and alternative routes has totally spoilt the scene. The very few alternate roads and shortcuts(??) present are also jam packed. Hence, if a jam originates at Bellandur, the traffic pile up is capable enough to choke Marathahalli. And yet people have no alternatives if they want to travel parallel to the outer ring road.

Same case for Old airport road, ITPL main road and so on. The presence of big properties alongside these roads mean that there is no clean road that can run parallel to these roads. Its all kaccha roads habitualised by cabbies which can come close to an alternative. Again a difficult bet as one random day, we will find that the road is dug up or there is some blockage.

Government is totally deaf on this issue and I actually admire the work of traffic police. They are doing the best and sometimes even have gone beyond their limits to implement changes.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 11:19   #9808
BHPian

Just reached office at Malleshwaram in 30 mins from Old Airport Road.
Cauvery theatre underpass on Sankey Road is closed probably due to water logging. Traffic is being diverted over the underpass, expect delays on this strech.
Old 11th November 2015, 11:32   #9809
Senior - BHPian

Sparse traffic today. Was able to reach my office in EC in 30 mins which usually takes 1.5 hrs. Expecting it to be similar until this weekend.

OT, but the weather is awesome and I am feeing like bangalore weather is like 90's. Loving it! Few snaps of BETL today morning ( taken by my colleague).

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447221717.273842.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447221730.628074.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447221743.786251.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447221753.291286.jpg
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 11:34   #9810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Till date Whitefield, Area near Manyata Tech park, Bellandur, E City were contributing to the chaotic situation that we are presently seeing. Now it's Varthur's turn to screw up Bangalore even more.
Why can't the govt shift the new tech park to say Mysore/Tumkur.

Most Viewed