Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2015, 10:04   #9991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Last night, I was a little ahead of National Games Village. I was going to take a turn when I saw that an Innova driver had driven his Innova over the 15cm high divider. Both his right wheels were off the road. The divider was around 2cm from the inside of both the right wheels.

It was raining and I knew no one would offer to help. So I parked the bike on the side, put my gloves inside the bag and went to help him.

He asked to push the car from the front while he tries to reverse. The wheels were just turning but didn't have enough traction to move the car.

He then got some stones to fit underneath the right wheels hoping to get some traction. But the stones were too big and the wheels too low to be able to effectively use them.

He then tried multiple things but could not get the car out. The car was mechanically alright; just stuck.

I left after around 45 minutes because I was offering zero help by then because I didn't know what to do. By that time, more kind people had joined in to helping the poor driver who claims he was trying to avoid a speeding Indica when he ran over the divider.

In these situations, what does one do? How can one get his car free?
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 10:16   #9992
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more media coverage on the pathetic traffic conditions at Whitefield.
As per the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board, the RSPM (Respirable Suspended Particulate Matter) levels in Whitefield area have gone up alarmingly and are 283% above the national average

Source:Indian express, Bangalore Edition (City Express), 21 Nov 2015 - Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 10:28   #9993
BHPian

Since both the right wheels are off the power is going to one wheel, combined this with the rain the innova would have had a tough time. One way to move the car would be to keep a wooden or metal plank under the right wheel.
Old 21st November 2015, 11:17   #9994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I have been using the maps off late to check for traffic before I leave office. The travel is from Malleshwaram to Old Airport Road, hence multiple route options are available and the data shown is about 80% accurate.
Vouch for this. I have started using google maps each morning (and evening) for checking the route and it has been pretty useful. while it does not cut down the average commute time, I have been able to hit the average commute time each day of last week and avoid any choked roads or junctions.

In my experience, it has not deviated by more than 10 minutes at the end of the ride compared to the estimate it gave at the start of the journey. I cover about 14 km from BG road to EGL. You can basically avoid the worst case scenarios with this.
Old 21st November 2015, 17:31   #9995
Team-BHP Support

If one can notice, city is slowly shifting to western style of work. Reach office early and leave early. Though its a good practice, but its been literally forced on to folks here, thanks to traffic. There are regions like Hebbal/Whitefield/KR Puram etc, where if one doesn't reach early, one might as well chose to work from home.

Another key takeway: Ground clearance and bigger tyres are now important requirements to buy new a vehicle thanks to bad roads (or no roads!)

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2015 at 01:19.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 19:40   #9996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If one can notice, city is slowly shifting to western style of work. Reach office early and leave early. Though its a good practice, but its been literally forced on to folks here, thanks to traffic. There are regions like Hebbal/Whitefield/KR Puram etc, where if one doesn't reach early, one might as well chose to work from home.

Another key takeway: Ground clearance and bigger tyres are now become an important requirement to buy new a vehicle thanks to bad roads (or no roads!)
Sad part is that now starting early is no longer working out for me. A year back, starting at 4:30pm from Whitefield meant I reach home near E-City within an hour. Today even a 4:00PM start takes than 1.5 hours at best.

The rains have just added to the woes....
Old 21st November 2015, 22:20   #9997
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Today commuted by car from my parents home in Malleswaram to Bommanahalli. The Adugodi Main road is infested with potholes, bang in the middle of the road. The Madiwala Market road is going from worse to extremely worse. The fact that even buses find ways to negotiate potholes, speaks about the road quality.
Old 21st November 2015, 23:12   #9998
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not just the main or bigger roads that are bad in Bangalore. Today I was going around Indiranagar defence Colony and found that several cross roads there are like of roading tracks
Lots of potholes spread all over these roads and seems like today many of them have been filled...with debris so you can see broken bricks, concrete blocks, heck even ceramic tiles
I somehow managed to avoid falling off the scooter at several places.
Seriously don't know if I should laugh or cry seeing the pathetic condition of roads!

Last edited by NPV : 21st November 2015 at 23:15.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:24   #9999
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha npv, was on the same route, following a tractor dumping this stuff into potholes and driving off. Probably a couple of crores siphoned off in the name of pothole filling.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 06:16   #10000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are regions like Hebbal/Whitefield/KR Puram etc, where if one doesn't reach early, one might as well chose to work from home.

Another key takeway: Ground clearance and bigger tyres are now important requirements to buy new a vehicle thanks to bad roads (or no roads!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Sad part is that now starting early is no longer working out for me. A year back, starting at 4:30pm from Whitefield meant I reach home near E-City within an hour. Today even a 4:00PM start takes than 1.5 hours at best.

The rains have just added to the woes....
The Big Bazaar junction now has become a big bottle neck on week days. After the new traffic plan to de congest Graphite India was implemented, more traffic started taking Big Bazaar junction. Last week, I started from office near KTPO by 4:30 PM still took more than 15 minutes to cross Big Bazaar. The junction has heavy traffic in the after noon ( 12:30 PM ) due to heavy traffic of school buses. I have seen the line of vehicles extending up to Vydehi couple of times in the afternoon. Kundalahalli & Hopefarm junctions are crowded even during weekends. Wondering what happened to the "Signal Free" road from Domlur to Hope farm?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2015 at 10:40. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:53   #10001
Distinguished - BHPian

Introducing a new breed of road vermin apart from the already existing auto rickshaws - the OLA cabs. Yesterday I saw an OLA Micra with alternating red-blue LED lights like the landespolizei (German police) use on their cars. The "driver" used it every opportunity he could along with loud constant honking and headlight flashing to get his way as he was the sole occupant of the vehicle. I saw all his antics through the mirror and held my ground as I was travelling at a safe city speed. The signal changed to yellow and I peacefully came to a halt as he moved up behind me & started using the LED's & honked (maybe the poor moron was colourblind?). As the light changed back to green he desperately tried to change lanes to get ahead in this billion $ race of his, I saw that the road has high median barriers and there wasn't a signal for another 2 km so I decided to school him as I let him overtake from the middle lane for about a second and in the next second he was far back in my RVM as he rashly changed lanes to the further left (creating a heart-in-mouth moment for 2 bikes).

Again let me assure everyone that I wasn't speeding and the limit was well under city restrictions and I took every measure to check that the road was empty. This driver only thinks that he drives fast whereas all he was doing was rash driving by zig-zagging and honking while his actual speed was under 50. I think this is a daily habit of his and I hope someone complains to OLA/ traffic police very soon. Those lights should be taken out as they are highly illegal and deceptive.

This is my little note for OLA : I will never avail of your cab services, when I'm not driving I'd rather take an auto or Volvo bus. You exploit the convenience loophole by making users call cabs via mobile but all that results in is that cabs drive fast & rash to squeeze in as many customers in a day as possible. Android apps be damned, I'll walk and get a little exercise while trying to catch a ride.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:42   #10002
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The Peripheral Ring Road project has been approved by the centre and work (I think they mean land acquisition actually!) will begin in 3-4 months.
Source:Indian Express, Bangalore Edition 22 Nov 2015 - "Centre Approves Peripheral Ring Road, Work Set to Begin in 3-4 Months"

*Many people, especially our politicians are touting this as the one solution to the majority of traffic woes in the city but I'm sure we all understand that it just isn't the fact!
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 11:28   #10003
JD1
BHPian

Talking about poor quality roads, pothole developed in the new Allalasandra flyover!!
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49865837.cms

Even without traffic, a rain spell is enough to break new road so how can we find solace on patchy road fixes?
Old 22nd November 2015, 11:39   #10004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Talking about poor quality roads, pothole developed in the new Allalasandra flyover!!
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49865837.cms

Even without traffic, a rain spell is enough to break new road so how can we find solace on patchy road fixes?
And how "Beautiful and clean" the surface looked just before inauguration .
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1448172515332.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2015, 22:34   #10005
Senior - BHPian

Got this over Whatsapp !

If only I had the option

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20151122wa0050.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed