Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:39   #10006
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Oh I think I got the answer now, why are Bangalore roads so bad ?

Well, it's a ploy to attract & encourage automobile startups - their MVP (Minimum Viable Product) just needs to have Good Ground Clearnace, All-terrain tyres and a small, peppy engine with just 2 gears at most! The roads are already capable (out of the box capability) of being used for any and all tests that their test mules would need

Last edited by NPV : 23rd November 2015 at 10:47.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:45   #10007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Well, it's a ploy to attract & encourage automobile startups - their MVP (Minimum Viable Product) just needs to have Good Ground Clearnace, All-terrain tyres and a small, peppy engine with just 2 gears at most! The roads are already capable (out of the box capability) of being used for any and all tests that their test mules would need
Right and we already have a first prototype (Got it as a forward, I think it came in Deccan Herald)

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whitefieldtraffic.jpg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 23rd November 2015 at 10:47.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:21   #10008
BHPian

Another massive traffic jam again in Whitefield area. My wife had to reach hotel capitol on rajbhavan road. Booked a cab at 9:30am. It could reach Hoodi only at 10:10am from Gopalan school. A crazy 40 minutes to cover less than 2kms!!! I ask him to take devasandra -> kr puram -> tin factory route. He drops my wife at the destination in 70 minutes. Thank god for me knowing that route or the cab would still have been at Tin factory. Horrible horrible traffic
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:15   #10009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Right and we already have a first prototype (Got it as a forward, I think it came in Deccan Herald)
Instead of depicting a car as a tanker, they should have drawn bullock carts as that is the pace with which one has to crawl these days in Whitefield, Marathahalli etc. We are going backwards to 10th century instead of 22nd century.
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:34   #10010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The Big Bazaar junction now has become a big bottle neck on week days.
In Whitefield, its a jam irrespective of which direction you point your vehicle to in the evening/ morning. And just when I think I have found a better road, with uncanny accuracy, the BWSSB or what-ever-it-is turns up overnight to dig the road to smithereens.

Only saving grace is that all the speed breakers (especially the unscientific-ones) are holding up. They should use the same tech for the roads as well.

I deeply regret that I didn't opt for a Thar or such. Though the Elite doesn't bottom out, my heart doesn't allow to subject it to abuse.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:06   #10011
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning I noticed that BWSSB work on the stretch opposite Decathlon (in the Whitefield-KR Puram direction) on ITPL main road has reduced the available space for vehicular movement to barely 1 lane, quite sure this is going to a bottleneck today especially this evening
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:31   #10012
BHPian

Quote:
It's not just the main or bigger roads that are bad in Bangalore. Today I was going around Indiranagar defence Colony and found that several cross roads there are like of roading tracks
Lots of potholes spread all over these roads and seems like today many of them have been filled...with debris so you can see broken bricks, concrete blocks, heck even ceramic tiles
I somehow managed to avoid falling off the scooter at several places.
Seriously don't know if I should laugh or cry seeing the pathetic condition of roads!
Really, that's strange. I live in Defence Colony and don't know which cross you navigated. Most survived the rains. Except the one peripheral link road (near the ground on 6th Main) which is a BBMP Dump thanks to lax segregation. Most parts of Indiranagar II stage and HAL II stage have taken the brunt of the last rains pretty well.
Driving to Decathlon, Whitefield over the weekend was an experience I won't wish on anybody.
Juggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:38   #10013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
And just when I think I have found a better road, with uncanny accuracy, the BWSSB or what-ever-it-is turns up overnight to dig the road to smithereens. I deeply regret that I didn't opt for a Thar or such. Though the Elite doesn't bottom out, my heart doesn't allow to subject it to abuse.
Though what we imagine can be written off as conspiracy theories, I too feel that the BBMP observes any smooth patches of roads left in this city and then goes to work on them to repair/unclog drains/lay pipes or cables etc. They take particularly keen interest in freshly laid roads. If our imaginations aren't completely wrong they will find ways to challenge even Thar drivers by digging with bulldozers, thus forming meterorite-strike scale potholes.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:39   #10014
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Really, that's strange. I live in Defence Colony and don't know which cross you navigated. Most survived the rains. Except the one peripheral link road (near the ground on 6th Main) which is a BBMP Dump thanks to lax segregation. Most parts of Indiranagar II stage and HAL II stage have taken the brunt of the last rains pretty well.
I was referring to the other side of 100 feet road, Indiranagar 2nd stage ?
One example is the road connecting 12th main to 7th main, get into 12th main at the signal on 100 feet road (towards Cambridge layout direction) and turn right at the first cross road beside Namdharis. This road goes all the way upto 7th Main - pathetic condition! Debris were being used on this road to fill the potholes.
Another one that stands out is the Sai Baba mandir road (13th Main) from the church on the 100 feet road side till the post office, very bad condition.
And yes the 6th main road itself near the Park and church - there are wide, deep ruts on that road there, very dangerous for 2 wheelers

Last edited by NPV : 23rd November 2015 at 14:42.
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:57   #10015
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring to the other side of 100 feet road, Indiranagar 2nd stage ?
One example is the road connecting 12th main to 7th main, get into 12th main at the signal on 100 feet road (towards Cambridge layout direction) and turn right at the first cross road beside Namdharis. This road goes all the way upto 7th Main - pathetic condition! Debris were being used on this road to fill the potholes.
Another one that stands out is the Sai Baba mandir road (13th Main) from the church on the 100 feet road side till the post office, very bad condition.
And yes the 6th main road itself near the Park and church - there are wide, deep ruts on that road there, very dangerous for 2 wheelers
Ok, not to belabor a point but those are neither Defence Colony nor are these recent developments. The one beside Namdhari, opp Golds Gym has been that way for over 2 years now. And the 6th Main Park stretch is barely 200 metres, is very recent (post rains). They just held a well attended Dussehra circus / mela there.
My point being the local ward guys manage to fill the potholes relatively swiftly and efficiently and they do not deserve to be maligned thus. Of course this is relative to the mayhem witnessed in suburbia.
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:10   #10016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Though what we imagine can be written off as conspiracy theories, I too feel that the BBMP observes any smooth patches of roads left in this city and then goes to work on them to repair/unclog drains/lay pipes or cables etc. They take particularly keen interest in freshly laid roads. If our imaginations aren't completely wrong they will find ways to challenge even Thar drivers by digging with bulldozers, thus forming meterorite-strike scale potholes.
If the conversation I had with a person whose friend works with the BWSSB is anything to go by, you are partly right.

Apparently, BWSSB waits for BBMP to lay roads and then goes to work on those very roads because it is cleaner for them to work then. They will not have to deal with much, gravel and what not.
ashwin.terminat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:53   #10017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
If the conversation I had with a person whose friend works with the BWSSB is anything to go by, you are partly right.

Apparently, BWSSB waits for BBMP to lay roads and then goes to work on those very roads because it is cleaner for them to work then. They will not have to deal with much, gravel and what not.
But they have to dig over an extra layer of asphalt as compared to digging before the road was asphalted. Doesn't make sense as usual.

The other point I can think of for the reason of digging newly re-laid roads are probably because the pipes beneath are already with one leg in the grave, with the heavy machinery above and with a new layer of asphalt , they are prone to give up the ghost and then the roads are dug up to replace them.
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:59   #10018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
But they have to dig over an extra layer of asphalt.
Our BBMP does a good job of minimizing the BWSSB's work by laying roads a few inches thick at most.

But either way, it is a major loss to the exchequer. If only these departments had a little synchronization, our lives would be better and our government would not waste the money it makes through our taxes.

Maybe we should gift these guys an enterprise subscription to Todoist, or Any.Do or something of the sort!

That said, the stretch near CMRIT from Kundalahalli Colony must be the single worst stretch of road(No, it isn't a road) I have ever encountered.

It even creates a massive traffic jam behind it all the way upto Graphite India signal.

Maybe Whitefield is called "White"field because there is no tar anywhere?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 23rd November 2015 at 17:02.
ashwin.terminat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:04   #10019
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Whitefield Alert:
Left office early today around 3:15pm and by 4pm I'd only reached near ABB junction via Hoodi, ATM junction, Graphite Road, bumper to bumper slow moving traffic Still wondering what caused it and where!
Instead of risking getting caught near Brigade Metropolis/Decathlon (from the ABB junction I could see only vehicles occupying every inch) so turned right at ABB junction and then took Devasandra, turned out to a good move. I was home by 4:30pm.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:20   #10020
Senior - BHPian

Guys travelling near Rammurthy Nagar may want to take note.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3853893

Most Viewed