Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:18   #10171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman
The starting salary of an IT engineer is atleast 50% less than the starting salary of a govt employee at the lowest grade.
I did try to search for pay-scale related information, and did find some links. As per this link about UP, it says that UP government followed the 6th Pay commission recommendation and decided to keep the pay-scale of Class 4 (the lowest grade; peons etc.) at 4470-7440 + a grade pay of Rs.Rs 1,400. So even at the highest pay grade, a Class IV chap may get a basic pay of less than 10,000 p.m. Then add up DA, HRA etc. and it cannot go beyond Rs.16,000 p.m. Most of the IT companies pay their freshers higher than this. And off course there could be smaller companies, or contracting agencies which would be paying people less. But if you can help me find the pay scale details of Karnataka Government folks, may be we get more clarity here.

Quote:
IT guys are at least working from home not loitering around skipping your work
I feel we are generalising here. That every IT employee is a hard worker, and every non-IT fellow is a lazy bum. I know at least one large IT company who is now tracking the time an IT engineer spends at his desk/PC on a day to day basis. This was because they clearly figured out that their engineers are loitering around the campus and having good lengthy tea breaks and lunch breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitheeshsreeram
For a regular Joe in IT in a city like Bangalore life is just one pay cheque to another. Poor planning is to blame for the mess Bangalore is in, just wish IT guys were in the voters list
Then there are millions of people who also survive just like the Joe in IT. And for them their pay scales are even worse. And most of them have 6 day weeks. Their commuting times are also high, and most of them cannot afford a four wheeler and have to rely on public transport. IT folks would still be on a better standing that actual average Joe at Bangalore. Yes, IT people being a vote bank is one way to get things done. But that is easier being said than done. IT folks themselves are not united, and most of their career aspirations would make them think like individuals.

I have been in Mumbai (for a year), and as we all know Mumbai is much more bigger conglomeration of people from India. Taxi-wallahs from UP and Bihar, Businessmen and share traders mostly from Gujarath, a whole brigade of middle management and clerks from South India, and the entire government machinery by Marathis etc. But even with all this the city seems to be working in much more unison. Perhaps all these groups also have a fair share of common problems, which every one has to go through. Bangalore on the other hand seems to be getting dividied more on IT v/s non-IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide
Nattily dressed whitefield gents and ladies flashing placards splattered with English words isn't going to gather anyone's attention, except the media types. I heard the corporators didnt even discuss the protest in the meeting held 2nd half of the same day.
You nailed the problem, my friend. To be frank the IT people (irrespective from the state where they come from, or where they work) have NOT been able to generate much sympathies from the 'sons of the soil' group. The IT people still stand out as a different group from the rest. Bangalore had a large number of Public Sector Undertakings, and their staff were from many states. But even they have kind of 'acclimatised' with Bangalore, and their voices may have more power. Perhaps that is why even the Whitefield protest seems to be an "elitist" attempt which the local "sons of soil" in Whitefield area itself not being bothered about. Perhaps a strong demand by HAL and BEL employees (and ex-employees), would have more local support and pushing power than employees of Infosys, Wipro or SAP.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:27   #10172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
I checked the BTP FB page and couldn't find any post relevant to this. I stay in an apartment on the service road. Yesterday night, traffic was allowed in the opposite direction on the service lane from Hosa Jn to EC Phase 1 and I could see vehicles today morning too.
One way signs have been kept on the service lanes at Hongasandra in the direction towards the city. But no one seem to be bothered with it. If the service lanes are indeed made unidirectional, I'll come to know in the evening and will update.
Here's the 2 posts from BTP on their FB page:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20151202102718.png

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd December 2015 at 10:28.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:24   #10173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Here's the 2 posts from BTP on their FB page:
Thanks Vid6639.

Does this mean the service lane on one side is only made one-way?

The post from BTP sound very confusing. I use the service road on the Basapura side and hence did not see any one-way rule in effect.

So this might lead to a pileup on the Basapura side today evening.
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:30   #10174
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's local Bengaluru edition of Indian Express and Deccan Herals newspapers carry an article about Tunneled roads for Bangalore as as possible solution given the cost and trouble of land acquisitions for road/infrastructure projects. An american firm will be making a presentation soon to the State government if this report is to be believed.

Source: Indian Express, Bengaluru edition Dec 2 2015 - "Tunnel Roads to Help Reduce Bengaluru's Traffic Jams ?"

Last edited by NPV : 2nd December 2015 at 11:31.
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:56   #10175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Today's local Bengaluru edition of Indian Express and Deccan Herals newspapers carry an article about Tunneled roads for Bangalore as as possible solution given the cost and trouble of land acquisitions for road/infrastructure projects. An american firm will be making a presentation soon to the State government if this report is to be believed.

Source: Indian Express, Bengaluru edition Dec 2 2015 - "Tunnel Roads to Help Reduce Bengaluru's Traffic Jams ?"
Perfect!! That's the best solution to turn Bangalore into Venice. Come future monsoons, or heavy rains like last month and Bangalore can have it's very own waterways, which are unheard of, in non-coastal towns. Brilliant, just brilliant
hifisharu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:56   #10176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today's local Bengaluru edition of Indian Express and Deccan Herals newspapers carry an article about Tunneled roads for Bangalore as as possible solution given the cost and trouble of land acquisitions for road/infrastructure projects.
A few points we need to consider.
1. The plan is to build a tunnelled ring road AROUND the city. Then two diagonal ring roads which would also CRISS CROSS each other at some point.
2. This seems to be another form of Metro. The efforts to build such tunnels may be even more than tunnelling for the metro. The tunnels may have to be bigger in size (to accommodate two lanes of road traffic). Now compare the time taken to build even the incomplete Metro of today. And decide on how much time it would take to build these underground ring road and the diagonal roads.
3. The authorities still does not understand one thing. The only way to reduce traffic congestion (beyond a point) is to bring in some curbs on vehicle usage. That is the number of vehicles on the road should be reduced. It could be through punishment or inducement. A city like Singapore penalises the car drivers by charging a sur-charge if they bring their vehicles to certain parts of the city, but they also induce the travellers to use public transport by having a good, clean and punctual public transport system.

Sorry for being so pessimistic; with these kind of knee-jerk ideas we cannot expect much change to come. Bangalore may see a better day, when lot of its existing citizens get so fed up with life that the decide to quit the city en-masse out of sheer frustration.

Last edited by sachinpk : 2nd December 2015 at 11:58.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:00   #10177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another piece of information just to fool the public. I bet this will not take off similar to that of peripheral ring road. When the govt finally wakes up to implement tunneled roads, costs would have sky rocketed.
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:06   #10178
Senior - BHPian

The ECC road from Deens academy to ITPL road is closed for road work.
Existing tar and mud is being removed upto 2 feet depth.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20151202_082755-copy.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20151202_090215-copy.jpg
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:12   #10179
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Perfect!! That's the best solution to turn Bangalore into Venice. Come future monsoons, or heavy rains like last month and Bangalore can have it's very own waterways, which are unheard of, in non-coastal towns. Brilliant, just brilliant
Yes, look at it positively - we can give up our cars and 2 wheelers, reduce pollution levels and instead take Gondola rides right here in the Venice of South india
Jokes apart, this tunnel ring road seems very far fetched given the current scenario, which is why I wasn't very optimistic in my original post as well!
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:57   #10180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tunneled roads for Bangalore as as possible solution
Right. After elevated roads now we are going to have underground roads. Is there nobody in the decision-making chain whose feet are on the ground?

Btw, the article says the company proposing this is American and has done similar projects in Malaysia as well. I googled a bit; the only tunnel project in Malaysia I could find is the SMART Tunnel which was built by Malaysian companies with expertise from Mott MacDonald, which is a British company. I'm trying to see who's selling this snake oil to the KA government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Now compare the time taken to build even the incomplete Metro of today. And decide on how much time it would take to build these underground ring road and the diagonal roads.
I don't hope to see the completed metro in my lifetime. Even if this project is signed off in another year, I don't hope to see it completed in this century, even. :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:40   #10181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
..the article says the company proposing this is American ...
Being an American co. , I won't be surprised if GoK is left holding a bulb in the labyrinth beneath, while the Yankee laughs all the way to Wall Street.

Last edited by WindRide : 2nd December 2015 at 13:42.
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:48   #10182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Being an American co. , I won't be surprised if GoK is left holding a bulb in the labyrinth beneath, while the Yankee laughs all the way to Wall Street.
you do have a wonderful sense of humor. i loved certain other posts of yours as well
Tunnel roads definitely dont seem a solution. Next up: KA officials saw Minority Report. They are speaking to Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg for flying cars.
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:33   #10183
Senior - BHPian

In Boston, they went for underground roads too. Problems were same as here.

But if you look at the cost overruns and time ourruns of that project, it can never be done in India.
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:20   #10184
BHPian

When the civic authorities here struggle with elementary concepts like lane markings, signage, traffic signals and street lighting I don't see how proposing these futuristic concepts is of any use. The mess is caused in a large part due to unruly behaviour by road users combined with road surface issues like potholes and unauthorised speed breakers. If these are addressed in a systematic way there will be quite a lot of improvement.

I participated in the save Whitefield protest at Graphite India junction. I'm not a Whitefield resident but I do work here and so decided to support it. While standing there I observed a number of motorists who, after blatantly committing a violation (driving up the wrong side of the road, trying to take illegal U-turns etc.) have the gumption to actually stand and challenge the traffic police as though they did nothing wrong in the first place. The only way this behaviour will change is if the police are a lot stricter about enforcing the rules.

Last edited by ajitkommini : 2nd December 2015 at 15:23.
ajitkommini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:21   #10185
BHPian

Tunnel road project by American company was briefed to media yesterday by Bangalore incharge minister. He even told no govt officers (read BBMP) taking his words seriously about infra/road repair works. Then, how can people take his words about tunnel road project seriously?
Nempuguru is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks