Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:57   #10681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

After the sankranti and slow start to the new year, road traffic for this week has come back to normal. I used to take 1 hour last week and the week before returning from Kormangala to RT Nagar, now I take 1hr 30 min to 1hr 45 min

I guess the next round of respite will be in March/April when schools and colleges shut down.
Old 23rd January 2016, 15:51   #10682
Senior - BHPian

Saw this dio being driven erractically (sometimes slow, other times very fast) ! Was noticing it from wilson garden all the way till lalbagh main gate signal. On going past it noticed it was being driven by a kid mostly around 10-11 years of age. Neither he nor his brother (did not look old enough to be a father or an uncle) were wearing any helmet even and to top it it had one of those disco type head lights which keep blinking! (what is it called I do not know).

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Do not know what these people think. They also jumped the signal (most people do jump this particular signal) and kept going.
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:25   #10683
BHPian

Thanks all. It's been a year since I left Blr. Wanted to know if they have changed any roads to one ways signals to avoid etc. As NPV said I might take that route. I am taking the bike from a friend for most part. Only the last drop to madiwala would be in a Rick. Am taking the conti from madiwala. Thanks to all for sharing info. Makes me better prepare to plan the few hours I have. 😀
Old 24th January 2016, 08:25   #10684
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Thanks all. It's been a year since I left Blr. Wanted to know if they have changed any roads to one ways signals to avoid etc.
Well, few changes around the Old Madras road/NGEF area that you may not be aware of are:
1.If you take the Nagavarapalya road to reach Old Madras road (via the Gopalan Grand Mall/erstwhile Chetan theatre), you cannot turn right towards Pai Layout. Instead you will have to take the road towards Vishwa Vihar/Behind Big Bazaar and turn right onto Old Madras Road at the signal.

2.If you take the NGEF Road from Kasturi Nagar and reach Old Madras Road, you cannot turn right towards Suranjan Das Road/80 Feet Road junctions. Instead, you make a left turn, go all the way till the Metro station and then just ahead, make a U-turn

3.Suranjan Das road towards Bimanagar and HAL market/Old Airport road is good, but for a small stretch near the BEML arch.

Reach out if you need anything when you're here
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 11:08   #10685
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like most folks have take the day off to enjoy a 4 day weekend as tomorrow is a holiday on account of Republic Day. It was a breeze to work today (Indiranagar-Whitefield on old madras road route), just 20 minutes

Quote:
Am taking the conti from madiwala.
I thought Conti travels bus starts from Richmond road near the mosque, just after Shoolay circle signal, has it moved to Madiwala now ?

Last edited by NPV : 25th January 2016 at 11:30.
Old 25th January 2016, 11:18   #10686
BHPian

Rampant flouting of traffic rules is really becoming bothersome and dangerous in our city. At any traffic signal one notices many violations and has an opportunity to snap the offender in his/her act. Question is how safe is it for the good Samaritan to upload these snaps on BTP's Public Eye website where one is asked to share his/her name and contact details ? How easy is to for the violator to get the logger's information for some "consideration" ? Why does BTP need it anyway - isn't the picture proof enough of the violation ? The good Samaritans could remain the anonymous super heroes.
Old 25th January 2016, 11:46   #10687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I thought Conti travels bus starts from Richmond road near the mosque, just after Shoolay circle signal, has it moved to Madiwala now ?
Madiwala is their second pickup point. Origin stays the same (Richmond).
The one way changes and U-turn information really helped.
Traffic near KR Puram station on sunday morning at 6:30 am was complete mess with a 16 wheeler carrying TMT iron rods, breaking down. Felt like "now am in Bangalore".
Drive from NGEF to Madiwala was a breeze. Took ~30 minutes only. NGEF-OMR-100ft road-ORR-Madiwala.
Suranjan das road has widened up very well close to HAL market. The stretch between Jeevan bhimanagar and BEML unfortunately is the same. Another thing I noticed was, lot of cars were parked on pavements/near sidewalks (on indiranagar 100ft road). It used to be banned back then.
so many traffic cops catching motorisits at Ulsoor lake/Old madras road (near BDA complex) / Indiranagar 12th main / the usual domlur flyover spot outside Airtel. They were halting even guys wearing helmets and who don't seem to be offending traffic rules.
Old 25th January 2016, 12:04   #10688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Question is how safe is it for the good Samaritan to upload these snaps on BTP's Public Eye website where one is asked to share his/her name and contact details ? How easy is to for the violator to get the logger's information for some "consideration" ? Why does BTP need it anyway - isn't the picture proof enough of the violation ? .
Lets answer this last one first.

3. BTP needs it in case the offender would like to take up the issue with court refusing the claim made by the uploader. In this case, the uploader will have to be an eye witness evidence to back the claim of the offense made.

2. Not sure about the backend at BTP but this is not an advanced anonymous system of reporting. These reports are filled into a database which is then manually checked by a person there and he files the actual offense notice against the vehicle. Hence this person might have details of who uploaded the picture as filled in the form. If this person is accessible, then so will the info be accessible.

1. Lastly coming to how safe it is, I think its not an issue since you can always give in a proxy for yourself Been there, done that. Even if they want to contact the person, they will get the details of a non existent person/email id/phone number. They should ideally track your IP, then trace it back and find you, for a petty 100 buck fine. No one will do this. But dont reveal your actual details there. That makes the job easy if someone wants to find you
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 12:20   #10689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Why does BTP need it anyway - isn't the picture proof enough of the violation?
BTP needs it to prove chain of custody in case required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_custody

Quote:
They were halting even guys wearing helmets and who don't seem to be offending traffic rules.
They are running a campaign to enforce helmets for pillion riders as well. This might be part of that campaign.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 15:06   #10690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
3. BTP needs it in case the offender would like to take up the issue with court refusing the claim made by the uploader. In this case, the uploader will have to be an eye witness evidence to back the claim of the offense made.

2. Not sure about the backend at BTP but this is not an advanced anonymous system of reporting. These reports are filled into a database which is then manually checked by a person there and he files the actual offense notice against the vehicle.
If there are lawyers in the group, perhaps they can give more accurate information. At least in KL, when traffic police cases goes to the court the witnesses mentioned in the charge sheet are generally police men (who was part of the squad which detected the violation). Very rarely does that happen now, as pretty much every traffic police squad has an SI in charge, who is authorised to levy spot fines.

And contesting such charges are also a big time bother. One thing the magistrates etc. may not show very high level of tolerance here. If some one decides to contest the case, the case gets postponed to another date when the police men listed as witness would also have to appear in court. The magistrate may also set any bail bonds etc, to ensure that the accused appears in the court. For the police men, it is not a big deal as it is part of their job. This being a traffic "petty" case, neutrality of witnesses etc. are not of that very high importance (say when compared to a murder trial).

Next thing, if a police officer is manually checking every picture before sending a notice, they may also ensure that only pictures with very strong evidence would actually get processed. Please note in Bangalore even traffic police officers do use cameras. So in a good case, where there is a strong evidence (in the picture), and chances of the actual photographer not appearing in the court, the police can very well say that one of their officers took the picture (and he would be there as the witness). The accused in the case would have a tough time explaining the wrong doing, plus the witness being coached.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 16:36   #10691
Senior - BHPian

On the route I take to office there are some pockets where traffic will be built up or standstill. One of them is in front of christ college where because of the college as well as the new IT campus there will be a slow traffic. I have seen many morons who take U turns on the flyover and drive back or some who try to jump the median. Today I thought of capturing one fellow who was trying that stunt and put it on BTP page but I noticed that the picture (posted below) I have taken does not have the vehicle registration number.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4011.jpg  

Old 27th January 2016, 18:07   #10692
BHPian

Being on Bannerghatta Road which houses some of the large Hospitals, I used to only wonder how the Ambulance would reach the hospital in case of emergency at peak hours. Are the motorist really considerate enough to leave space for ambulance when the sirens are on, do they understand the meaning of emergency, do they have any sympathy, is our system designed for emergency. I got the answer on Last Friday, when a close friend's father was being taken to Manipal Hospital via Marathahalli.

On Friday 22nd at around 6:30 AM my friends father was feeling breathless, so they called a MARS ambulance. The ambulance promptly showed up and picked the patient. They took the Hoodi, Graphite India and Marathalli Main road from Seegehalli at around 8 AM. It took them 50 mins to clear the traffic from Hypercity to Marathahalli Bridge. The traffic was choc-o-bloc that day and traffic was hardly moving. Even when the attendant was announcing over loud speaker to move, they were only indicating others in front to move.

By then he had a cardiac arrest. Since there was no pulse and he wasn't responding, they moved towards VIMS Hospital in Marathahalli. I was stuck in the same jam some 1.5 KMS away and only got regular updates over the phone. By the time I reached VIMS Hospital, he was declared bought dead.

He could have been easily saved if they had reached the hospital in time. I really feel sad and frustrated with the whole situation. I don't want to blame any individual section, but I think the whole system need overhauling.

Regards
Old 27th January 2016, 19:09   #10693
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning I noticed that cops had barricaded the junction below the ORR ramp near Whitefield Honda. This seemed like a good move since the traffic from the new and old Railway under bridges were unable to cross over across the ITPL main road and instead turned left on ITPL Road to take the U-turn a little distance ahead.

However, as we all know we have traffic that learns super fast and is very quick to adopt new means to get the work done
This evening, the traffic from ORR coming from the service lane beside the Renault and other car showrooms (this stretch is supposed to be a one way for traffic going from ITPL Road to ORR and these guys are not supposed to be coming this way!) were crossing over to head into the new under bridge by going over the median which has been flattened possibly to barricade it off soon
Old 27th January 2016, 19:27   #10694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

On Friday 22nd at around 6:30 AM my friends father was feeling breathless, so they called a MARS ambulance. The ambulance promptly showed up and picked the patient. They took the Hoodi, Graphite India and Marathalli Main road from Seegehalli at around 8 AM. It took them 50 mins to clear the traffic from Hypercity to Marathahalli Bridge. The traffic was choc-o-bloc that day and traffic was hardly moving. Even when the attendant was announcing over loud speaker to move, they were only indicating others in front to move.

By then he had a cardiac arrest. Since there was no pulse and he wasn't responding, they moved towards VIMS Hospital in Marathahalli. I was stuck in the same jam some 1.5 KMS away and only got regular updates over the phone. By the time I reached VIMS Hospital, he was declared bought dead.

He could have been easily saved if they had reached the hospital in time. I really feel sad and frustrated with the whole situation. I don't want to blame any individual section, but I think the whole system need overhauling.

Regards
Sad to hear. Condolences. This is the most heart rending aspect of our chaotic traffic. I think on a daily basis just due to traffic several lives are being lost due to a delay in reaching hospitals.

Just curious to know, any reason they did not stop at Yashomathi Hospital or head to Columbia Asia/Vydehi Whitefield?

I assume there is some best method/protocol to follow when one sees an ambulance and the traffic farthest from the ambulance in front should start reacting and making way. Here mostly we wait for the ambulance to be on our tail before attempting to make way and by then there is no place to move.

Of course, our infrastructure has nothing that can help an ambulance move faster.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 19:32   #10695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Being on Bannerghatta Road which houses some of the large Hospitals, I used to only wonder how the Ambulance would reach the hospital in case of emergency at peak hours. Are the motorist really considerate enough to leave space for ambulance when the sirens are on, do they understand the meaning of emergency, do they have any sympathy, is our system designed for emergency. I got the answer on Last Friday, when a close friend's father was being taken to Manipal Hospital via Marathahalli.

Regards
Condolences. Yes, the system needs overhauling and people need some sense to be hammered into their heads too. But we have most of the infrastructure to blame too. Alas, the ranting isn't going to help.

Most Viewed