Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:07   #1066
BHPian

but any idea when the elevated flyover from silk board to electronic city is opening seems even asphalting of the road is finished.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:17   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Then came the Bypass which eased but much before a "situation" arrived, a new bypass with those amazing twin-tunnels was already made operational giving such a marvellous entry and exit to the city. All this when the traffic was not that Bad.
When, oh when will Bangalore city get a bypass?

why do all the trucks have to go thru the middle of the city to get to the other side? why is our (ring) roads blocked with parked, accident and broken down trucks?

when will work finally start on the Peripheral ring road? I pass by a portion of the peripheral ring road (around 2-3 km only) on the way to a friends farm a few times each year, and where the road was in a reasonably good shape 5 years ago, now it is a mess. No development has taken place in the last 5 years that i have been using that stretch AT ALL.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:17   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post

Thanks for the good news. I feel it is just ridiculous for all vehicles to go thru Brookefields/Graphite junction to reach EPIP / ITPL.
The road that connects EPIP to Old Airport-Varthur Road (through the Borewell Road and Nallurahalli) is now fully asphalted and ready.

Those who come from Old Airport / Marathahalli side to EPIP/ITPL need not come via Brookefields/Graphite India Junction.

At Kundanahalli Gate, they need to drive straight towards Varthur, and take a left turn around Palm Meadows and drive right into EPIP.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:50   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Why can't this city have narrow foot paths and wider roads?
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:54   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
When the odd one gets injured or killed, the other pedestrians burn the vehicle and beat up the driver and cause disruption of traffic for hours until lathi-charged. .
and then they build a speed / vehicle breaker at the spot in memory of the dead guy who darted / strolled across the road without bothering to check whether there were any vehicles in the vicinity that perhaps wouldnt be able to stop in time to save him from his own idiocy. Whatever happened to look-left, look-right and look-left again before crossing the roads?

When the next guy dies within 5 feet, the story gets repeated AND they build another speed / vehicle breaker there too.........
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:28   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
True, from IIM towards Bannerghatta Park, there is a signal that on the Hulimavu junction not too many people bother to stop for - especially the Volvos. Jumping signals, not bothering to stop for the signal is the norm. But I feel that the newly put in speed-plateau also does not help in matters!

Also, at the Bilekahalli signal, NO ONE bothers to stop. At times, I have seen that there is a fight between guys who have the green light and others who are already jumping the signal. All this with a cop there. On the rare times when I am riding back from work at night, I stop at this signal if it is red but am literally honked out of my wits to move. Their logic - wiggle in between the traffic which has right of way and get moving! I wait for the signal to turn but though I ride a Bullet, I am scared sometimes that some joker will beat me up.
Almost all the signals on Bannerghatta Road are a joke.
I always make it a point to roll up to the white line and stop.I am yet to find someone who would honk at a leather jacket-arm length gloves-sports helmet TBird or just a happy guy singing to himself in a punto .
Anyways, since I have always given the donkey a stiff competition in stubborness, no bull horn or scare tactics can make me jump any signal. Once I remember a auto guy trying to nudge me at the Adugodi signal(Hosur road) when I politely pointed out the eye-in-the-sky to him.Even that traffic-rules-abuser kept quiet after that!
I guess even Bilekahalli jn has a cam. Next time anyone honks, look out for the cam and point it out to them.
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:55   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
When, oh when will Bangalore city get a bypass?
I dont know how long you have been in Bangalore, but the Trucks used to pass through the city centre via Old Madras Road, Ulsoor Lake, Jayamahal. yeshwantpur and onwards. Imagine the confusion then

The current Ring Road (ORR) was built to decongest the city, but Bangalore grew too much that even the ORR is within the city now
Old 22nd October 2009, 18:44   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Almost all the signals on Bannerghatta Road are a joke.
I always make it a point to roll up to the white line and stop.I am yet to find someone who would honk at a leather jacket-arm length gloves-sports helmet TBird or just a happy guy singing to himself in a punto .
Anyways, since I have always given the donkey a stiff competition in stubborness, no bull horn or scare tactics can make me jump any signal. Once I remember a auto guy trying to nudge me at the Adugodi signal(Hosur road) when I politely pointed out the eye-in-the-sky to him.Even that traffic-rules-abuser kept quiet after that!
I guess even Bilekahalli jn has a cam. Next time anyone honks, look out for the cam and point it out to them.
Yeah but I don't just keep quiet - I sometimes get so annoyed that I scream at the guy behind who is honking at a signal! And didn't know there was a cam at the Bilekahalli signal - need to locate it and start pointing it out to jokers.
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:59   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah but I don't just keep quiet - I sometimes get so annoyed that I scream at the guy behind who is honking at a signal! And didn't know there was a cam at the Bilekahalli signal - need to locate it and start pointing it out to jokers.
At Bilekalli, instead putting a cam there, they should remove the signal and put the median. Then make it one way to enter the small lane in Bilekalli and exit at road next to IIM compound wall. This will ease the traffic we face every day every hour.
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:20   #1075
BHPian

National Road Safety and Traffic Management Board

From Live Mint:
New panel to look into traffic management - Economy and Politics - livemint.com
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:44   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Till I got married, I never had a chance to drive in Gujarat and my perception (I never had any in the first place) completely changed. if one subtracts the City driving here, I give a thumbs up to the Highway driving. Great amount of discipline followed and never ever one dares to overtake from left. I have seldom seen anyone doing beyong 80-100kmph mark and maintaining a steady pace.Aggression is almost non-existent here. A mere flash of the headlights and the vehicle moves left to give way to overtake!
Check out Sarkhej- Gandhinagar stretch full of Malls and Multiplexes and service lanes for easy entry and exit into these places. They seldom block traffic. This stretch is not "usually" marred with traffic Jams but the civic authorities planned it in advance.
I drove in Gujarat for the first time and I could'nt agree more. In the expressway I was so surprised to see the right lane being empty, for vehicles to overtake and once the maneuver is done, vehicles went to left lane. And when I flashed lights, the vehicle ahead moved to left giving lane change indication. And this flashing has to be done only once. I could not believe my eyes, having driven in the highways of southern part of India.

And this mall entry/exit is a classic case of traffic management. The Oasis mall is in the junction and every time I see a jam because of cars entering/exiting the mall, I feel ashamed for the BBMP/BDA that gave permission for such a mall to come with no room for entries/exits.I mean, how can some one be so dumb not to anticipate entry/exit of vehicles from a mall?
Quote:
Check out the entry to Bangalore from any direction - Mysore Road, Hosur Road, OM road, Tumkur Road, Bellary Road. Which one is better? (or worse).

Pune's Katraj Ghat (NH4) always encountered Jams and driving till the city was a pain. Then came the Bypass which eased but much before a "situation" arrived, a new bypass with those amazing twin-tunnels was already made operational giving such a marvellous entry and exit to the city. All this when the traffic was not that Bad.
Entry/exiting Bangalore is a nightmare for sure. NICE road has eased it a little bit in the south - north corridor but still has a long way to go. Pune also had its own share of problems, entering from NH9 going to Mumbai will have to come through the city till they formed the new byepass through Parvati. It is a breeze now.

It is not about patriotism. When such advance planning can happen in Gujarat, maharashtra, why should Karnataka be left behind? Why cant the civic authorites drive through these states to know how traffic is managed?

Nainar
Old 24th October 2009, 21:58   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
And if you could have noticed at the Mahadevpura Junction the moron of a Traffic Policeman stops the traffic on the ring road and is allowing the traffic from the inside lanes to flow across the ring road. This created a block right uptill KR Puram railway station. The signals there were switched off i guess.

What an idiot that traffic policeman proved to be.
This happens every other day around 7:00pm. Huge pileup of traffic on ORR near Mahadevapura junction while traffic from the service roads and small lanes trickles through the junction

How can he be such a senseless idiot? Words like moron and idiot are like praises to him. Gosh, i wish one day frustrated people would give him an earful.

Is there anyway we can complain against this?

-Pallavi
Old 24th October 2009, 22:43   #1078
BHPian

Daily I'm having horrifying experience with the "NO FREE LEFT TURN" at the ISRO circle on airport road. I don't know why people don't get the idea that you are supposed to wait for green to take a left where a 'no free left" with a crossed left arrow board is posted.

Today a water carrying tank kept on honking continuously for left turn because I was blocking his way. I too was waiting for signal to take a left, but this guy was mad and gave me a stare when he crossed me on airport road.

I totally agree with the person who started this thread. Nothing is going to change if the people don't change. Wider roads don't make any difference. No one understands that this kind of behavior delays them too. My message to everyone would be to remind them that "offenders are the biggest losers". They don't just create problems for others, but for themselves too.
Old 24th October 2009, 23:31   #1079
BHPian

i've had this no free left turn issue get me into multiple fights - a few weeks back in koramangala at one such crossing, I had a 2 wheeler guy honk (kid as pillion). I lowered window and gestured signal is red, so can't go anywhere. I see him in my side rvm throwing expletives at me, so I lower the window again and show him the finger. That does it for this guy, he wiggles from my left and blocks my way when signal turns green, then with the kid behind him, says some really really bad words. I decide to skip the left and go straight to the next left, with this buffoon following me as if he is giving me chase and I am running! Then when I take the next left, this swearing joker realises he can't keep up and so takes off.
In all this stupidity, he not only blocked my way, but all others who wanted to take left and also go straight. Patience is seriously missing in the average person nowadays.

Edit - i need to be more tolerant too, but somehow can't stand such morons :-)

Last edited by jassi : 24th October 2009 at 23:32.
Old 25th October 2009, 00:58   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i've had this no free left turn issue get me into multiple fights - a few weeks back in koramangala at one such crossing, I had a 2 wheeler guy honk (kid as pillion).
-
-
-
-
-

Edit - i need to be more tolerant too, but somehow can't stand such morons :-)
If I were you I'd have cut him off, and yelled at him in front of his kid and scarred his macho-dad reputation forever. I have no sympathy for b$@#$%%s like them and believe that ONE TIGHT SLAP will set their head on the right way. But then again jassi sir, well done on keeping a calm head, or i sense that biker would've lost his

ONE TIGHT SLAP.

Last edited by Nitronium : 25th October 2009 at 00:58. Reason: typo

Most Viewed