Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 19:09   #11281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Looks like there are also a few folks who are injured. Saw a VIP convoy moving towards Narayana Hrudayalaya side. Other wise the city streets were pretty much empty (on the South East part of the city). This "protest", seems to be not a very simple straight forward one.
As per the reports the actual reason is the rampant exploitation going on in the garment industry. The change in PF rules just was a trigger. The strike was leaderless and such mobs will soon vent their anger against everything which come in their paths. One classic case was the riots which followed Rajkumar's death in Bangalore. No one knew against what that protest was all about?
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 20:22   #11282
Distinguished - BHPian

In between all these strikes, I witnessed a funny accident involving two cabs in the morning and both drivers got the best lessons of their life. This happened in the crawl below the KR Pura bridge.

To my left was a Tata Sumo cab whose driver was busy texting. He used to let the vehicle crawl and look at the phone to type. He had properly adjusted to the pace of the traffic and was in his own world. After some distance the pace increased and there was a gap ahead of the Sumo since he never accelerated. From my right, an Indica cabbie abruptly cut into my lane and continued further to cut the Sumo cabbies lane very rashly to occupy that gap. Just when the Indica driver thought he executed a swift move, the Sumo guy hadnt realised that he got a vehicle in his path and he had to slow down. The Sumo continued forward as if there was no indica and banged the rear corner of the Indica and scraped its left rear quarter panel and door.

Only after this the Sumo driver realised what was happening and started yelling at the Indica guy "Where the hell did you appear out of" and the Indica guy was in no mood to listen and there started a huge blame game

Since he was half way across my lane, I could move ahead without being blocked. I guess both would have learnt their lessons.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th April 2016 at 20:23.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 21:36   #11283
BHPian

Expecting the worst, I started from JP Nagar towards Bellandur at 4PM via Lake road - silk Board - HSR. But the route was pretty clear, with about 30% less traffic compared to other days.
Now, should we expect the same tomorrow? I heard from elsewhere that the new norms are not in force now!
Old 19th April 2016, 22:24   #11284
BHPian

Guys, Just started tracking these protests today and I'm traveling back from Kerala to Bangalore tomorrow. Would be reaching Hosur at around 4pm, are there any protests between Attibele and Silk board?
Old 19th April 2016, 22:42   #11285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Would be reaching Hosur at around 4pm, are there any protests between Attibele and Silk board?
Major protest was near Bommanahalli, however seeing news that PF guidelines are reverted back to earlier ones. So, guess there won't be protests tomorrow. Anyways, keep an eye on this thread, if any issue you can consider Hosur - Bagalur- Sarjapur route and join ORR based on condition near Kaikondanahalli.
Old 20th April 2016, 06:16   #11286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Major protest was near Bommanahalli, however seeing news that PF guidelines are reverted back to earlier ones. So, guess there won't be protests tomorrow. Anyways, keep an eye on this thread, if any issue you can consider Hosur - Bagalur- Sarjapur route and join ORR based on condition near Kaikondanahalli.
Thanks Suhas. Shall check this thread again this afternoon.
Old 20th April 2016, 08:03   #11287
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic is normal on bannerghatta road.

Last edited by arun_josie : 20th April 2016 at 08:06.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 09:42   #11288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Traffic is normal on bannerghatta road.
Yes. So far so good . People using Airport Road (near Domlur) may find a big surprise. BWSSB has dug up the road at the middle of the night. Looks like there is absolutely no coordination between the various civic agencies, traffic police etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
As per the reports the actual reason is the rampant exploitation going on in the garment industry. The change in PF rules just was a trigger.
True. Garment industry has more of "indentured labour" and they are exploited as well. Most of the workers are semi literate women from very poor economy house holds.

Quote:
The strike was leaderless and such mobs will soon vent their anger against everything which come in their paths. One classic case was the riots which followed Rajkumar's death in Bangalore. No one knew against what that protest was all about?
Hmm.. I tend to disagree. It cannot be a case that 1000s of women workers (and men off course) just get the idea to stop working on Monday morning, gather up and then block the road and riot. When all this happened, perhaps there was no visible leader inciting the mob, but there could be folks in the background who spread the message around, incited a lot of people to do the same thing at a scheduled time. After ensuring that things are working according to their plan, they just disappeared.

In the case of Rajkumar's death it was just that the crowd was getting unruly. The police were easily outnumbered. But what I heard (so take it for what it is worth) after things subdued a lot of auto rickshaw drivers had some mid night visitors who came in, and took them to some undisclosed locations. And some good treatment was meted out, but done in a very discreet way.

Any way this is all off topic. So let us continue the "rants" only..

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2016 at 19:38. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 20th April 2016, 09:52   #11289
Senior - BHPian

Is Silk Board towards ORR alright today? I somehow was lucky for the past two days, both ways and am hoping there aren't any incidents today, particularly at Silk Board and in other areas.
Old 20th April 2016, 11:46   #11290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Is Silk Board towards ORR alright today? I somehow was lucky for the past two days, both ways and am hoping there aren't any incidents today, particularly at Silk Board and in other areas.
Cr.PC 144 has been declared in the city limits for next three days starting this midnight (20th to 23rd April). So I am not expecting much trouble today onwards.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 00:21   #11291
Distinguished - BHPian

In this high-technology metro city, street-lights seem to be a rare find, even if found they aren't switched on and I'm talking of major roads. This city suffers from very poor lighting at night in most of the suburban areas, forcing motorists to upgrade to highly illegal wattages of headlamps & using high-beams, both of which bring a perfect contrast to the pitch dark roads to make it zero visibility.

It hasn't rained yet but the roads are all mostly in terrible condition, jams are getting worse by the day as I've noticed a nearly 10+ minute addition to the average travel time to work. Roads like the St.John's junction, Madiwala, McGrath Road, Indiranagar-Ulsoor signal, Silk Board etc make me question what on earth is going on, how can such bad planning ever come to be and worse yet, continue with no signs of a solution!? A builder-sponsored 4 page article in a major newspaper pointed out how the metro line will develop all the regions it passes through and how rates are shooting up into the vast unknown as a result.. couldn't help but laugh after reading it. From Garden City to Car-den City, we've come a long way.. down.
Old 25th April 2016, 16:32   #11292
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of updates on the KR Puram-Devasandra-Hoodi route:
-Last week on Thursday evening the Devasandra road was blocked between Ayyappa nagar and KR puram junction (near the market) as the road was being relaid, not sure if the work has been completed. Had to turn right and take the Bhattarahalli road which has been relaid completely and also widened at some places, was a smooth drive till Old madras road.
-Today, the road connecting to the service road beside the Hoodi Railway bridge was being repaired, so if you take the road next to the Bharat Petroleum pump on ITPL road, you will not be able to reach Hoodi Railway bridge - I learnt the hard way and had to turn back! So, today I could not take the Devasandra road as this approach road was being repaired.

Last edited by NPV : 25th April 2016 at 16:33.
Old 25th April 2016, 20:39   #11293
Distinguished - BHPian

One bus, many numbers

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_0235.jpg

See this bus running for Emc2. The driver has intentionally peeled off the numbers to confuse police or other citizens. How can such a reputable organisation allow such kind of cheap ways to evade law enforcement? Anyone here working for EMC2? In my office cab drivers are suspended if they have a broken mirror or dont wear seatbelts while driving. Can anyone take this issue up with the transport desk?
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 07:10   #11294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
One bus, many numbers

See this bus running for Emc2. The driver has intentionally peeled off the numbers to confuse police or other citizens. How can such a reputable organisation allow such kind of cheap ways to evade law enforcement? Anyone here working for EMC2? In my office cab drivers are suspended if they have a broken mirror or dont wear seatbelts while driving. Can anyone take this issue up with the transport desk?
This act of running buses with the same number is quite rampant among the inter state private bus operators. Good you brought this out.
Old 26th April 2016, 07:25   #11295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
One bus, many numbers

Attachment 1500675

See this bus running for Emc2. The driver has intentionally peeled off the numbers to confuse police or other citizens.
Pls post this on the BTP's FB page. Let them go after him

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks