Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:02   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Well, the parents need to be taught "Better Mr. Late than Late Mr." in their offices.
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:57   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Bangy guys, sorry for going OT, but I know this is the fastest place to get a response.

I am conducting a training program at Global Village on Mysore Road this weekend. I have done the same last month too, but at that time I was accomodated in a decent guest house at JP Nagar, near Shoppers Stop.

This time however, the vendor has booked accomodation to me at a hotel that is purportedly nearer to the training venue----it is one Hotel Sharda Residency located opp KSRTC Satellite Terminus on Mysore Road.
I just wanted you guys to confirm that it is a decent enough hotel as I need to spend 3 nights in it. If not, any other hotel do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Venu
Old 4th December 2009, 12:33   #1158
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Have you seen hurrying parents violating all safety norms to drop their offsprings at the school gate in time?
I apologize if this is OT, but, I vividly remember such a situation when I was a kid. We had a driver and he used to drop me off at school before dropping off my mom and dad at work. Once, we were caught in a rather bad traffic snarl enroute to Mekhri Circle. Those were the days when Bangalore had no Outer Ring Road and all the trucks heading to Tumkur Road used Mekhri Circle, IISC-Yeshwantpur road to get to Tumkur Road.

My driver realizeng I was going to be late, was trying every which way to get in front of the trucks when my dad yelled at him saying, don't hurry, there is no harm if he reaches late one day. Of course, this was over a decade and a half ago, but I still remember what my dad said.

I don't mean to preach nor judge anyone here, but honestly, what sort of an example are parents setting for thier kids when they recklessly jump traffic signals when they would have recited the rhyme ' Stop says the red light...go says the green' to their kids just the previous evening at home?
Old 8th December 2009, 21:31   #1159
Team-BHP Support

Returning home on Old Airport Road, a bike coming out from Domlur, jumps the signal and comes out right in front of me, a cop steps out to stop him, he accelerates savagely, the inspector steps out behind the cop into the bikes path. Bike smacks into him, headlight catching him in the solar plexus, mudguard grazed his jewels andhe went flying backwards into my path

Luckily, we (oncoming traffic) could see this happening, I braked and held up traffic. Bystanders lifted up the inspector, I was about to offer first aid, when he in a master stroke of resilience, strides over, starts kicking the rider and was about to thrash him. i decided to move on as Domlur has its fair share of rowdies. Some thoughts

1: The total lack of respect for the law and safety
2: The crazy risks that our cops take for very little compensation
3: Lack of education and common sense is dangerous

I bet the rider will have a long spell in the cells tonight.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:28   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Thats a rather unfortunate incident! Thankfully the inspector wasn't injured (atleast not something that was apparent immediately).I hope he had a chance to get himself checked at a hospital for internal bleeding, or probably some broken bones (pain that sometimes take a while to show up).
What was the biker thinking? With two people in the way,mow them down and scoot from the scene? Moron! I hope he got a sound thrashing from the cop right there,and an extended thrashing at the police station!
Law & order doesn't seem to be of anyone's concern.The cops aren't respected,thanks to all the corruption one sees around.If not for money,power & the ' I know so-and-so, and I'll get away scott free' attitude is what makes everything this bad.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:10   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Returning home on Old Airport Road, a bike coming out from Domlur, jumps the signal and comes out right in front of me, a cop steps out to stop him, he accelerates savagely, the inspector steps out behind the cop into the bikes path. Bike smacks into him, headlight catching him in the solar plexus, mudguard grazed his jewels andhe went flying backwards into my path

Luckily, we (oncoming traffic) could see this happening, I braked and held up traffic. Bystanders lifted up the inspector, I was about to offer first aid, when he in a master stroke of resilience, strides over, starts kicking the rider and was about to thrash him. i decided to move on as Domlur has its fair share of rowdies. Some thoughts

Nice to know he got kicked right on the spot and hopefully get a good amount of thrashing in cell. Sure he'll pay up for all the hospital bills plus the Donation to traffic cops.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:32   #1162
BHPian

Quote:

So sad to hear that such disrespect is shown to the poor traffic cop who is just trying to do his duty. Would'nt the biker liable to be booked under some criminal offences as well, like obstruction of justice, causing grievous injury apart from reckless driving? He should spend a long time in jail and this news should spread to every one who drives around, jumping signals at will. Imagine what this bozo would have done if he has been driving a car!!

Nainar
Old 9th December 2009, 10:59   #1163
Team-BHP Support

Abroad, this incident would have made the papers and the person made an example of. Sadly this will go unseen.
Old 9th December 2009, 23:35   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abroad, this incident would have made the papers and the person made an example of. Sadly this will go unseen.
Isn't there any way to report this to the press?Of course, without a proper statment from the cops, nothing can be done. If only some journalist was present at the scene when this happened.A few pics and a decent write up ought to have done the trick.
Old 9th December 2009, 23:47   #1165
Senior - BHPian

I also witnessed something similar last week. A cab was stopped by cop for attempting to jump the red light. The driver hurled some abuses from a partially open window and ran off nearly mowing down the guys with them.
Bangalore cops really need to teach such people a lesson.
Old 10th December 2009, 00:10   #1166
Team-BHP Support

I was caught on residency road and brigade road junction for jumping a red light last saturday.

It was saturday rush and the traffic was piled up. I crossed the light when it was green but couldn't clear the intersection as the traffic in front of me was not clear.

The cop told me to pull over and issued a fine using Blackberry. No amount of explaining helped. He pulled 2 cars over in front of me the same way. They crossed in green but the jam meant that it became red by the time they could reach the other end of brigade road.

My dad then told me not to bother arguing as for the cop it makes no differences. They hear countless excuses and many people argue with them. Most of the times it is the ones who actually do a mistake but still argue for no reason. That leaves the innocent ones also to be guilty in the eyes of the cop.
Old 10th December 2009, 03:45   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I was caught on residency road and brigade road junction for jumping a red light last saturday.

It was saturday rush and the traffic was piled up. I crossed the light when it was green but couldn't clear the intersection as the traffic in front of me was not clear.

The cop told me to pull over and issued a fine using Blackberry. No amount of explaining helped. He pulled 2 cars over in front of me the same way. They crossed in green but the jam meant that it became red by the time they could reach the other end of brigade road.

My dad then told me not to bother arguing as for the cop it makes no differences. They hear countless excuses and many people argue with them. Most of the times it is the ones who actually do a mistake but still argue for no reason. That leaves the innocent ones also to be guilty in the eyes of the cop.
Seen this happen many times at the Cauvery emporium junction.Many people coming in from Commerical St get through the lights, but due to the back up from Brigade rd, they get stuck (sometimes bang at the middle of the junction, blocking off MG Rd entirely).
It might be asking for too much, but if a cop can stand at the lights and wait for people to jump the sign, can they not observe the vehicles that try to cross after the lights turn amber? If someone is genuinely caught up in the block,they should be let scott-free.
Old 11th December 2009, 00:42   #1168
BHPian

Blocking traffic at junctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Seen this happen many times at the Cauvery emporium junction.Many people coming in from Commerical St get through the lights, but due to the back up from Brigade rd, they get stuck (sometimes bang at the middle of the junction, blocking off MG Rd entirely).
It might be asking for too much, but if a cop can stand at the lights and wait for people to jump the sign, can they not observe the vehicles that try to cross after the lights turn amber? If someone is genuinely caught up in the block,they should be let scott-free.
I've not seen anyone following it here but we are supposed to keep distrance from the vehicle in front; so that, in case of such situations, when traffic flow stops, we do not inadvertently block another crossing path/road at junctions. This applies to junctions that are w/ or w/o signals. I've seen this as a pretty basic practice in US and Europe as well.

Well, in the given enviornment here, one can argue the practicality of such practices. This applies to many rules, actually!

Cheers,
-KK
Old 11th December 2009, 08:19   #1169
BHPian

I wonder when the METRO will be completed. I bet 25-30% of the traffic on bengaluru roads will subside, it pains to see all such unruly things happen, its gut wrenching.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:52   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
My dad then told me not to bother arguing as for the cop it makes no differences.
Very true. Its of no use.

1. Got caught for taking the no free left in Marathahalli. Seems that was the first day they put it and I was not known.
Cop : "sir, you are not suppose to do this."
me : "Sorry sir, did not notice the board."
Cop : "You are good. pay me 100rs fine"

2. Cop catches me in front of the ABB for taking the right. The light was green for me to take right. But one cab coming from opp direction as usual kept going straight even after the light turned red for him. Cop thought it was me who took in red.

But I just explained him thinking its of no use. But it did helped. And saved from paying fine.

Most Viewed