Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2016, 08:53   #11686
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A road rage incident near Harohalli on the outskirts of Bangalore claimed the life of a person, another was critically injured and recuperating after surgery

Source:Road rage claims 23 year old's life after SUV brushes against his car
The source of an article from another newspaper regarding the same incident talks something else, and apparently it was due to usage of High Beams!!

(Received from a friend)

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...09062016003031

Since both these refer to Harohalli and "SUV", I presume it is the same incident.

Last edited by ampere : 10th June 2016 at 10:26. Reason: Removed print reference and added online reference
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:03   #11687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The pic of an article from another newspaper regarding the same incident talks something else, and apparently it was due to usage of High Beams!!
(Received from a friend)
Since both these refer to Harohalli and "SUV", I presume it is the same incident.
If you refer the New Indian Express details, it says the road rage was because of overtaking and not due to high beam. Looks like conflicting info from different newspaper sources.
Old 9th June 2016, 09:03   #11688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The victims' names, car types, location etc. all match. There is a more detailed report in BM that makes the story even more unbelievable:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/articleshow/52662911.cms
Old 9th June 2016, 09:06   #11689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A road rage incident near Harohalli on the outskirts of Bangalore claimed the life of a person, another was critically injured and recuperating after surgery
Patience is non existent today. Irrespective of the type of vehicle you drive, everyone wants to squeeze through and gain that few seconds of advantage without realizing that you end up spending many minutes behind a slow moving vehicle just because you decided to squeeze through another lane or drive on the other side of the median.

Just makes me wonder what the situation will be in the next 5 years. With India slated to be the biggest growth market for cars, I am pretty sure that infrastructure in most cities will not keep pace with the explosion of personal vehicles and we will end up spending more & more of our time in mind numbing traffic.
Old 9th June 2016, 09:16   #11690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Patience is non existent today. Irrespective of the type of vehicle you drive, everyone wants to squeeze through and gain that few seconds of advantage without realizing that you end up spending many minutes behind a slow moving vehicle just because you decided to squeeze through another lane or drive on the other side of the median.
More than patience it is the ego factor responsible for this. In this case the competition was between Scorpio and Etios drivers as to who should overtake. The Scorpio driver would have thought that his being a bigger vehicle should have more say on the road than the Etios. Truly sorry state of affairs.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:00   #11691
Distinguished - BHPian

The Bangalore Mirror article shared by Binand has the most bizarre story. However, I would not be surprised if the actual events were entirely different.

Anyways, have seen few spots around Kanakpura which has 'Under CCTV survilence' signboards put up. Hope the cameras are working and police is able to get some clue from them.
Old 9th June 2016, 14:01   #11692
Team-BHP Support

Deccan Herald has its own version of the road rage incident. Though details may vary between papers, it's pretty clear that both parties could've backed off instead of escalating the situation to the point it turned homicidal.

No patience and no humility. Perceived slight worth dying for?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dh.jpg

P.S. Shoddy reporting though, Chikkannadoddi is ~50 kms from Harohalli, not near as DH reports.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2016 at 14:14.
Old 9th June 2016, 16:45   #11693
Senior - BHPian

Please sign the petition "Chief Minister of Karnataka @CMofKarnataka : “FREE OUTER RING ROAD, BENGALURU OF THE EVERYDAY TRAFFIC MESS! #fORRward”"
The goal is to reach 1,000 signatures.
You can read more and sign the petition here: https://www.change.org/p/chief-minis...ail_responsive
Old 9th June 2016, 19:34   #11694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
You can read more and sign the petition here: [/url]
I have signed it, but the question though is, does it really make people move? What is the importance given to these petitions on change.org.
Old 9th June 2016, 23:54   #11695
BHPian

Never understand the Bangalore traffic. Yesterday, KR Puram was so clear at 6 PM and in one shot (~5 mins wait) the ORR signal to KR Puram (near Hyundai/Renault) opened; I passed KR Puram in about 10 mins. Today traffic back pile till Mahadevapura flyover!

And.. Is there any ban on truck entries into ORR? Saw a BIG line up (~15) at Tin Factory today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It can't be that the government must absorb all losses either. Governments run on everyone's money - why should say, a taxpayer in Bellary subsidize the losses of BMTC in Bangalore? This is a bit of a slippery slope.
That's the way any Govt can work. Try looking at tax collections at Bangalore vs rest of KA (or Mumbai vs rest of MH).

For that matter, the very same logic would apply at public transport at Bellary as well.
Old 10th June 2016, 07:33   #11696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
That's the way any Govt can work. Try looking at tax collections at Bangalore vs rest of KA (or Mumbai vs rest of MH).
You are talking of tax collection. I am talking of spending government funds. Different things. There is a growing school of thought that spending tax money on public sector companies (BMTC is one) is a very bad idea, and governments are finding it more and more difficult to justify such spending.
Old 10th June 2016, 08:25   #11697
BHPian

Bus has broken down on the left lane on top of BETL a little distance after the lay-bye going towards EC from Silk Board. Already bumper to bumper for about 2km at 8am. Do watch out.

Coming from EC to Silk board, just after the ramp from EC-Phase-1 they have dug up the road on top of BETL over a week ago and they have still not fixed it! Cars seem to have no issues but most bikes barely manage to get any grip on this stretch of road. Everyone drops down to 30-40kmph till the stretch is done while cars whiz by unconcerned at 100+!
Old 10th June 2016, 08:38   #11698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Never understand the Bangalore traffic. Yesterday, KR Puram was so clear at 6 PM and in one shot (~5 mins wait) the ORR signal to KR Puram (near Hyundai/Renault) opened; I passed KR Puram in about 10 mins.
Lucky you !! I had a harrowing time last evening at 4:00pm. Took me 45 mins to reach Tin factory from Mahadevpura. Worst of the lot were the cabbies and then you have those few odd over loaded trucks which simply refuse to move.
Old 10th June 2016, 10:37   #11699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass
I have signed it, but the question though is, does it really make people move? What is the importance given to these petitions on change.org.
I generally don't sign on any online petition, as I feel it is a futile excercise. Pressure groups meeting the concerned officials in person is most probably the only way to get things going. Local political support is also required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram
And.. Is there any ban on truck entries into ORR? Saw a BIG line up (~15) at Tin Factory today.
Yes there is. But in very many cases these trucks still manage to sneak in through some pocket roads. And also I don't know if the concrete mixer trucks and the huge tipper trucks carrying construction material are considered in the set of trucks which are stopped from entering the city during peak hours. The initial ambitious decision was to ban all sort of trucks, but finally it was only the long distance (out of state) trucks bringing in vegetables etc. got into trouble. The tippers and concrete mixers seems to be run by the local rich & political gang, so rules were not applied to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
There is a growing school of thought that spending tax money on public sector companies (BMTC is one) is a very bad idea, and governments are finding it more and more difficult to justify such spending.
This is out of topic for this thread, but just thought I would type this in. Perhaps we should try to evaluate the US model, and customise it to our own needs. India generally has a "top down" approach when distributing the tax money. The Central Govt. has the maximum fund pool, followed by the state governments. It is the state governments who allocate funds to various cities, towns, villages etc. And this leads to the complaint that states may use all tax money on just maintaining one city. The US on the other hand has a "bottoms up" approach. Every city or town gets a good share of the tax money generated from that city, town. They keep that and pass the rest up to the county, state and the national level etc. The quid pro quo is that the city/town has to manage the show by the tax money collected by it. In US, the towns/cities are expected to raise and maintain their own police & emergency services etc. County Sheriff's Deputies or State Troopers are very less in number and have wider jurisdictions. If we copy this exactly to say Bangalore, then BBMP & BDA would get a good share of tax revenue coming in from Bangalore city and the onus of providing all facilities would also rest with them. The mayor would have some serious work in allocating funds to the BMTC, City Police, City Fire Brigade, BWSSB etc. etc. He just cannot sit and whine that state government is not giving him funds.
Old 10th June 2016, 10:47   #11700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You are talking of tax collection. I am talking of spending government funds. Different things. There is a growing school of thought that spending tax money on public sector companies (BMTC is one) is a very bad idea, and governments are finding it more and more difficult to justify such spending.
Dear Friend, we are a mixed economies. Our economy is very poor compared to most of the developed or even developing countries. Rather than asking why it is spent, the question should be how it is spent. You cannot expect all public sectors to be making profit, and they are not meant to be!

The idea of public service sector is to provide 'service' or reach to larger section of society. While I and you may be able to spend Rs 100 for 15 km volvo drive, there would be a large set of public who will not be able to, for them the govt will have to provide a subsidised rate through a different means called ordinary bus. Again, since the per capita income in cities is higher, the citizens can afford a higher price, but at rural belt it would be a different situation.

Yes, I am completely against popularism moves, like giving rice for Rs.1, giving free TV, etc.

The underlining is Govt is not to make profit, but to distribute the collected resources wisely, but today that is a big question. Though BMTC has made profits many times, lets expect it to run more efficiently than profitably.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks