Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2016, 15:17   #11716
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Took a ride on the Metro yesterday. Felt quite surreal to reach Majestic from Bypanahalli in 20 min. Hopped on another train, got down at Cubbon Park, spent some time in the park and play areas with kids and then got back. The Cubbon Park station being just outside the park gates made it very convenient. No last mile connectivity or traffic, parking or crossing hassles. Definitely will be going there more frequently.

Trains were quite full up. A system like Metro is definitely the way to go. Hope Phase 2 and 3 are able to move much faster as compared to the very slow progress seen in Phase 1.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 05:19   #11717
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The suburbs are the ones that badly need Metro connectivity.
Any sensible person would prefer to use the Metro rather than waste time and create stress for him/herself sitting in a non moving car, in thick, indisciplined traffic.
Old 13th June 2016, 07:56   #11718
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the proposed steel flyover construction is not going down well with the public who feel it is a waste of their hard earned money. Well, why not. Instead of constructing another flyover, try to improve the suburban train connectivity. Given the amount of land they have near the airport. the govt should lay a railway line connecting airport and Devanahalli. We have trains running from Bangalore Cantonment to Devanahalli. Increase the frequency. Likewise operate trains from Whitefield, Kengeri, K R Puram etc.
Old 13th June 2016, 09:05   #11719
Distinguished - BHPian

If its not obvious already, Bangalore has one small problem - small roads. I for one hope that there are no more plans for metro/rail/added BMTC buses/autos any more than is existing. The suburbs have roads on average sized anywhere from 40 feet wide to less than half of that.. I blame the destruction of Indiranagar squarely on the metro line which not only looks grotesque but also takes away a chunk of the road all so that a couple of dozen people can have a joy ride from there to a stones throw away MG Road. I have completely stopped going to Indirangar for the same reason.

The city needs a more planned residential spread, over 60% of the population of BTM /Koramangala /HSR /Indiranagar should consider moving towards north zone, Jayanagar the less said the better but the problem there is too much of low-end commercialization and its become the least posh area of the city as a result. The government has made all this impossible because all the million offices in the city are concentrated within EC/ORR, and the north side is under-developed with poor water and electricity supply. Bangalore is tilting dangerously on the south-east side while the north has become an apartment builders paradise with over 80% lying vacant. Its time that companies slowly shift to the north side of the city and force the government to up the infrastructure there. The solution according to me is not in connectivity, but in creating 4 equally well developed zones in the city with their own offices, malls, hospitals etc and make the population NOT travel all over.

Last edited by dark.knight : 13th June 2016 at 09:06.
Old 13th June 2016, 09:19   #11720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THen how do you go from Bhashyam Circle towards Windsor Manor?? Don't tell me they expect us to go upto Mekhri Circle and take a U turn
I missed this completely.

The answer is right within your question .

Refer to this post on BTP's Facebook Page.

Quoting the same:

Quote:
Traffic Advisory:
Kaveri Underpass is closed. Those who travels from Bhashyam Circle and using Kaveri under pass to go further either towards Mekhri Circle or BDA junction need to use Kaveri underpass Up ramp and proceed further up to Mekhri Circle up ramp and take U turn at Mekhri circle and come back to BDA and Windsor Manor.
Quote:
Also what's the status of widening of Bellary road from Mekhri circle to BDA junction. Been reading about it since ages but no action on the ground.
"Consistent" and no progress at that! So dare devils on Bikes, Mahindra Boleros and Tata Aces still enter the makeshift road and merge where road gets narrower closer to Cauvery Theatre.

Sample these (barring the last 2) which were part of a hasty implementation when the authorities wanted to give a "Signal Free" experience to the Airport:
  1. High Grounds Junction: Had a round about and now there is a Traffic Signal

2. Windsor Manor: Except for few hours post 10PM, this is a Manually controlled Junction

3. BDA Magic Box: Is very narrow and traffic is clogged in both directions only because 4 lanes merge into 2

4. Cauvery Magic Box: Officially closed now but has not made any difference for daily commuters, especially driving towards Hebbal (I tried for 2 weeks now)

5. Mehkri Circle Underpass: Well designed and well executed one but even with a pedestrian bridge and the BMTC Bus Shelter shifted further ahead, jams galore as exactly where these buses exit the shelter is a U for those wanting to go to Sanjaynagar from Hebbal side. I am more than sure this U will witness a closure in coming months

6. Hebbal Flyover: Marvelous to show off but on present day, is a big disaster. Bus Stop right before the Flyover towards Hebbal and Esteem Mall Pedestrian crossing soon after the flyover. To add to this, merging traffic from ORR and the ascent after the Pedestrian crossing Signal and Bangalore's infamous relaxed rule to allow trucks to ply 24/7!!
And now, if the proposed Metal Bridge from Sophia's/High Grounds till Hebbal gets implemented, I am already scared on how things will be when work starts!
Old 13th June 2016, 09:46   #11721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I missed this completely.

The answer is right within your question .
Making people go round in circles, so that no one reaches their destination is what they love to do . There is such a huge flow of traffic from Sankey bridge side who want to join Bellary road and go towards the city. Imagine making them join Bellary road (which is already bursting with traffic) and go in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And now, if the proposed Metal Bridge from Sophia's/High Grounds till Hebbal gets implemented, I am already scared on how things will be when work starts!
I read that to make this 'Steel' bridge they first have to demolish BDA flyover, Gangenhalli flyover, CBI junction flyover and Veterinary college flyover!! If they even dream of going ahead with this, even hell will be a better place than all the roads in Bangalore North!!

And get this, they want to make it a toll road.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 13th June 2016 at 09:48.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:35   #11722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
ook a ride on the Metro yesterday. Felt quite surreal to reach Majestic from Bypanahalli in 20 min. Hopped on another train, got down at Cubbon Park, spent some time in the park and play areas with kids and then got back. The Cubbon Park station being just outside the park gates made it very convenient.
This was my planned activity for yesterday, but got cancelled . First plan was to leave the car at Bayyappanahalli, go all the way to Mysore road on the return journey get down at Cubbon park, spend some time there and return to Bayyappanahalli. But a few other commitments delayed the onward journey to BYPL. And then it also started drizzling in Sarjapur Road side. Knowing that I would have to return from BYPL via the infamous ORR and the two Beesanahallis I decided to postpone the metro ride. Did not want to sit in traffic blocks on ORR on a Sunday evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
Well, why not. Instead of constructing another flyover, try to improve the suburban train connectivity. Given the amount of land they have near the airport. the govt should lay a railway line connecting airport and Devanahalli.
Some how I feel the various civic agencies in Bangalore still have not realised the importance of efficient public transport. Most of their action plans orient around the usage of private vehicles. Widening roads, building these kind of fly overs all seems too be keeping in mind that people would have to use their private vehicles. Other metros like Mumbai and Chennai even today, I feel gives good focus on the public transport aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight
Bangalore is tilting dangerously on the south-east side while the north has become an apartment builders paradise with over 80% lying vacant. Its time that companies slowly shift to the north side of the city and force the government to up the infrastructure there.
I agree with you. The Western side (Magadi road and beyond) also I guess is in the same boat. The companies I feel would not have any great interest in now moving Northwards. Unless they are given some monetary benefits (tax cuts; again??). If many companies suddenly move Northwards, they may get worried that attrition rates would be higher. The South Eastern and Eastern side also see lost of techies now entrenched in the apartments there. They may find the travel to the Northern Frotiers (if I can use that word) too much. I feel it is on the government to force or incentivise companies to setup shops in the Northern parts.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:40   #11723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Some how I feel the various civic agencies in Bangalore still have not realised the importance of efficient public transport. Most of their action plans orient around the usage of private vehicles.
I do not have much info on Mumabi wrt Volvo buses being used by BEST. In Chennai the number of volvo buses plying within the city is way too less compared to Bangalore. Could the action plans of the govt revolving around the usage of private vehicles lie around the fact that the state govt has invested lots of money in buying volvo buses as a result of which they are not too keen to improve suburban railway network within the city?
Old 13th June 2016, 14:54   #11724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I do not have much info on Mumabi wrt Volvo buses being used by BEST. In Chennai the number of volvo buses plying within the city is way too less compared to Bangalore. Could the action plans of the govt revolving around the usage of private vehicles lie around the fact that the state govt has invested lots of money in buying volvo buses as a result of which they are not too keen to improve suburban railway network within the city?
KSRTC has the distinction of the most ethical State Transport Undertaking in India for having followed the rule book in utilizing JnNURM funds. However the BMTC, one of the largest beneficiaries under JnNURM, is a mere crook. It violated the guidelines, by renting out buses to IT sector for dedicated pickup and drop trips. Though it benefited a smaller section of the society, the public in general was leftout. To rectify this condition under the rule of JnNURM, the BMTC again purchased brand new Volvo buses and deputed the JnNURM ones for Public Transport. Though a good move to conform to norms, but the downside? The IT sector gets the really good buses, the rest, nothing and the department is going under loss for last few years.

The railways are struggling for expansion within city though there is high potential. The city station is too crowded to accommodate more trains and majority of the city track are single which is a great hinder for expansion. land acquisition is a big challenge, and most of the railway land along with track has already vanished!
Old 13th June 2016, 14:59   #11725
BHPian

The incident I am going to write down is very common but it reinstates my feeling of we Indians being arrogant and educated fools. Here it goes:

Saturday around 11:30 AM and I am waiting at the silk board junction for my ride towards E-City. One gentleman in Santro with a kid (boy) around 5 years of age and a lady sitting at the back, waiting at the signal. The scene inside the santro goes like this.

The guy is at the wheel and the kid is jumping inside that small car back and forth as if it is his play room. He is was all laughing and jumping and happily playing around. I couldnt fathom the extent of danger if the kid does like this in a moving car and god forbid the gentleman at the wheel had to corner or brake hard.

What I did?
I couldn't hold on to my instinct and thinking of the driver as an educated genetlman, I knocked on his window. I politely asked him if he has heard about child restraint systems and how important is it belt kids under 8 years with a seat belt. Topping it all, I also requested him not to allow the kid to have adventures inside the car considering the risks involved.

The reponse:
He acknowledged the risks as a gesture of guilt but went on saying that he drives really slow with his son and the risks are too less. But, he thanked me for the concern and kept on saying that if he feels the need, he would think about it but for now, this is how he has been driving for last 3 years. Discussion over and window is up again

My conclusion:
In our country most of us know and understand what is right or wrong but unfortunately majority of us are unwilling to follow the right path or follow the rules. Don't know how to see this but to me it is pure carelessness and arrogance.

Being a father myself I wish and pray to god for the well being of the little kid, but putting his life to risk knowingly is worst sin anybody can commit.

I hope we get little more conscious and caring for human life be it our loved ones or not. We can never grow with this utter disregard for human life.

Amen!
Shiv_1984 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 16:00   #11726
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'd posted a picture of a similar installation on Inner Ring Road near Ejipura junction. Have also seen one opposite the Shanthinagar bus stand on double road and on old airport road near the MG Road turn off. Yesterday I saw one more similar setup near the Bhattarahalli turn off on Old Madras road.
During an early morning weekend trip, avoided the BETL and took the Hosur Road lower section and spotted one more more similar camera installation on Hosur Road before the Hosa Road/NICE road junction, probably at previous signal.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:25   #11727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
Could the action plans of the govt revolving around the usage of private vehicles lie around the fact that the state govt has invested lots of money in buying volvo buses as a result of which they are not too keen to improve suburban railway network within the city?
The Volvo buses as I see them, are dying. Because the AMC which BMTC had with Volvo has now expired. Pretty much every alternate day, I heard of Volvo buses going off road/breaking down. BMTC has a profit mandate, and that may also be causing problems to them. The state government does not give any subsidy or extra funds to BMTC and it has to manage most of the things by itself and show profits.

Building a suburban rail network requires close coordination and very active planning with the Railways and the state government. The railways would only be willing to play a bigger role, if they find that the efforts and money they put on laying new tracks, upgrading signal infrastructure, bringing in more trains etc. is going to be worth it. Railways generally don't go for pure profit motive, but they don't want to start pure loss making schemes. Off late I have started getting a feeling that the state government is trying to ensure that most people with higher disposable income is restricted to be in the city so that lots of power groups (land sharks, realtors, auto dealers, vehicle fleet owners all the way down to shady PG accomodation providers) can make the maximum money. Suburban rail networks etc. also allow people to stay at far away places and makes commute a simpler activity. Which means people would also start moving out .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder
The railways are struggling for expansion within city though there is high potential. The city station is too crowded to accommodate more trains and majority of the city track are single which is a great hinder for expansion. land acquisition is a big challenge, and most of the railway land along with track has already vanished!
Well not exactly. The main line from SBC towards Madras side is already double line and electrified. Congestion at SBC may be there, but perhaps a more detailed study is required on that. So running a few MEMU type trains from SBC to WFD or BWT is not a big problem. May be at least during the peak hours. Or they should try to improve the BYPL station (it has got a good yard near by, where the idle trains can be parked) to work along with the Metro. People should have the option to cross ever from the MEMU (coming from say BWT) to Metro at Bayyapanahalli and then use that to say reach Majestic, MG Road etc. The problematic areas would be the YPR to BYPL route (which is single line) and the BYPL-CRLM-HLE-HSRA route which is single line non-electrified. 20 years have now gone by after the IT boom, these issues should have got sorted out by now if there was a long term vision in the early days.
Old 13th June 2016, 17:46   #11728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The problematic areas would be the YPR to BYPL route (which is single line) and the BYPL-CRLM-HLE-HSRA route which is single line non-electrified. 20 years have now gone by after the IT boom, these issues should have got sorted out by now if there was a long term vision in the early days.
The hosur line was closed for gauge conversion back in 1995 and considering that the IT boom took place sometime post 2003, the govt still had time at their disposal to double the route if not electrify. Lack of vision from the govt.
Old 13th June 2016, 19:30   #11729
BHPian

Hi, Is there any common whatsapp group for traffic updates as I travel from Electronic city to Manyata tech park daily and different routes have different traffic condition at various times. It will be great to know which ones are better. If there is some whatsapp group, please let me know, as driving 35+ kms one way has made me go mad.
Old 14th June 2016, 10:30   #11730
Senior - BHPian

BMTC Volvo Breakdown for the day: Some where near Kamanahalli, Banaswadi a Volvo bus has broken down, but it is moved to the service line.
Looks like there is some VIP visit planned for the Western and Northern parts of the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks