Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:06   #11836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The CM was to make some visit to Jigani or Anekal from what I heard. Seems this would be the time for him to return to the city.
Must be something more than that, because even today morning, I saw civil policemen positioned every few metres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Leads me to wonder what is Point 6 all about ? How does riding in a group become a violation ?
Most of the times big biking groups (mostly young riders) while riding late night block the road, create noise and probability of some untoward incidents are more. if some are drunk, its all the more probable.
I guess such groups are genaralised as "riding in groups"
But the blanket statement gives out a message that all group riders are offenders-whether they are responsible are not.
A reponsible group if stopped can easily be identified by the police and they just ask them to leave and not stay in groups at odd hours.

A similar thing had happened to me once-we had planned a surprise party to a relative (a senior citizen) at midnight. So all relatives had assembled in front of their house at 11:45 and waiting for the clock to strike 12 so that we can barge into the house (of course it was kept open by other members inside the house)
A police jeep happened to come around that time and he called us and asked what we were doing at that hour on the road.
We just explained him everything and he just warned us not to stand in groups at odd hours and asked us to dieperse quickly.
We just agreed and he went away

So, we must not read too much into it IMO.We must not read too much into it IMO. And if we are responsible and even if stopped we are stopped at night, we should not take offence IMO-Atleast I won't.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2016 at 10:46. Reason: Typo
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:32   #11837
Distinguished - BHPian

Air force bus breakdown at the narrowest section of the road just after HAL signal. Usually take me 10-15 minutes to cross HAL but today it took close to 35 minutes and this was at 7.45 am. Cabbies were already starting to occupy half of the other lane and on the whole it should be a typical bangalore chow chow bath in and around HAL. God save those who are taking old airport road to reach ring road.

P.S: Wonder how they plan to move the bus as the rear axle seemed to be damaged.

Last edited by procrj : 23rd June 2016 at 09:35.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:49   #11838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Must be something more than that, because even today morning, I saw civil policemen positioned every few metres
Okay. What you saw was the rehearsal. Today CM and a union minister is visiting Jigani in the morning hours. Looks like entire Bangalore rural district police are now in Jigani & Hebbagodi. Don't think any traffic problem though.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:55   #11839
BHPian

Prepare for heartache - traffic will be beyond hopeless in the coming few weeks in Whitefield. Hope Farm Jn and Kundalahalli Gate Jn grade separators to be constructed. And Graphite India Jn to be widened. Hope there is noticeable improvement in traffic after this.

This project was stuck in hurdles in land acquisition since 2009 Finally the government got round to fixing things I guess.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...049.ece?w=city
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:57   #11840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our BTP folks released this yesterday and honestly a good move.
+1 However, the 7pm to 7am duration doesn't make sense, as these hooligans come out once the roads are relatively free. Until 9 or 10pm, cops can use point 6 at their whims and fancies - you will find two-wheelers riding in "groups"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A reponsible group if stopped can easily be identified by the police and they just ask them to leave and not stay in groups at odd hours .... if we are responsible and even if we are stopped at night, we should not take offence
This holds good if the cop in charge is not in a bad mood. However I must say that on the rare occasions I've been stopped during DUI checks and violation checks, despite many sloshed 'gentlemen' having a 'civil discussion' with the policemen on duty, they have behaved politely with me and have let me go when they're done verifying that I'm sober and have not violated any rule.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:02   #11841
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Whitefield updates:
-A new Metro Wholesale outlet is coming up on ITPL main road right opposite Decathlon/Airbus. I hope this doesn't lead to more traffic problems at this junction that already sees slow moving traffic almost always due to the Goshala road junction.
-Another round of digging (pavement edges this time!) had started yesterday near ATM junction (Hoodi Road-Graphite Road intersection) and also near the Indian Oil petrol pump near HPE office
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:46   #11842
BHPian

Quote:
Our BTP folks released this yesterday and honestly a good move.

Leads me to wonder what is Point 6 all about ? How does riding in a group become a violation ?
While point 6 could be open to generous misinterpretations, points like carrying an extra pillion, not wearing a helmet etc should be cracked down upon irrespective of what hour of the day it is. What is sorely absent at odd hours is adequate policing and that being the case, threat comes not just from punks doing wheelies. Hope the authorities realize that homicidal cabbies are as big a threat at late hours, if not more that bikers.

Instead of issuing badly phrased and redundant circulars, I hope there is focus on filling vacancies and improving morale among the policemen
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:52   #11843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib
How about fixing a Traffic Signal half way through in the flyover? That will ensure vehicles are stopped and will make traffic jams within the flyover
. This was piloted in the fly over built on what was once known as Residency Road Circle. It seems it was like first time in the world, that a traffic light was put up on a fly over. Engineers etc. were not very happy with this, as they said that fly overs are built assuming that vehicles constantly move (and not like a parking lot where vehicles stands static).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
This being actually an internal circular, I would not assume that "violation" actually means some offence as per the laws in the country. It is more likely the areas/issues which the police should focus on. I very well know whom this order is targetting. Every night youth from certain parts of the city get on their modified bikes and start doing stunts like wheelies etc. This generally starts at around 0300Hrs in the morning. And this is not one or two sets of bike riders doing this, but a group. They indulge in racing, and trying to outsmart each other in various stunts. There are also an active bunch of supporters who stand on the side and cheer them. Around 8 years back one such youth, tried his luck too far only to get shot and killed by the Army sentry guarding a senior official's residence. The Point #6 is essentially talking about this entire setup. It is NOT meant for say a group of techies all going home together as a convoy after a late night party. This issue is just not a simple traffic violation problem, it has far wider connotations. Perhaps that is why this circular has gone out to both Law and Order and Traffic Police officials. All said and done, I have my own apprehensions on whether this drive would be every effective.

Last edited by sachinpk : 23rd June 2016 at 12:54.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:36   #11844
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Encountered terribly slow moving traffic on ITPL Main Road, Hoodi Road, ATM junction, ORR-ITPL Road junction, KR Puram Railway station junction and Tin factory today on the way back home. There seemed to be a distinct increase in the number of trucks plying, some with containers, others with Oil tanks and concrete mixers. Thursday blues ?

Last edited by NPV : 23rd June 2016 at 16:38.
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:51   #11845
Senior - BHPian

Found on WFR's twitter account: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...s-techies.html

Yet another grandiose pie-in-the-sky plan.

Maybe they'd have better success if they simply banned vehicles from entering ORR at all times.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:03   #11846
BHPian

My father is coming to Bangalore by train tonight. The train has a 1 minute scheduled stop at Whitefield. The time will be around 10-30 PM or later. I'l be there to receive him. Is there a parking place at Whitefield railway station? Is the area generally safe at night ?
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:05   #11847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Found on WFR's twitter account: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...s-techies.html

Maybe they'd have better success if they simply banned vehicles from entering ORR at all times.
Honestly it is so stupid and illogical that one can only laugh in dismay. Almost thought it was a faking news article.

Quote:
Sources in the Urban Development Department told Deccan Chronicle that the road between Silk Board Junction and K.R. Puram will be grilled barring vehicle entry.

“There will be only entry and exit to the left of the four-lane road on both sides providing seamless travel. Service roads will be upgraded and rectified for one-way vehicle movement as thousands of company vehicles use this road to enter campuses. U-turns will be provided only under the flyovers to facilitate uninterrupted traffic flow,’’ sources said.
Really!! Dont these planners realize that all the traffic jams are not due to end to end commuters and are all due to the amount of people that have to enter and exit in between. In addition they are also studying feasibility for the Metro. Where will that go.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:10   #11848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My father is coming to Bangalore by train tonight. The train has a 1 minute scheduled stop at Whitefield. The time will be around 10-30 PM or later. I'l be there to receive him. Is there a parking place at Whitefield railway station? Is the area generally safe at night ?
Whitefield railway station is a small station. You can park at the gate of the station on Kadugodi Market side.
10.30PM is not very late and there will be people on the road and vehicles plying. The area is well lit.

Still, its better to exercise caution.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:16   #11849
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Yes parking is available right outside the ticket reservation counter.

10:30 is not too late, the area is pretty safe.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 18:07   #11850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Is this a new road or the existing road modified. Looks like the new proposal will simply go down the drain.

Most Viewed