Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 17:47   #11941
JD1
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
I am not sure if the additional traffic is due to the construction near ecospace or due to another tech park opening in the ORR stretch.
Things have gone from bad to worse in the last 6 months on this stretch and looks like will only get worse.
On Sunday (or Saturday) BWSSB dug up ORR in front of Ecospace causing mayhem this week (and for another week or 2). They had not taken permission citing emergency work (I guess to clear drainage or something causing the kadubeesanahalli underpass to become swimming pool during mild rains). This is the reason for increased traffic chaos this week causing backup that extends till Noon. Plus every single day this week there was bus or some other vehicle breakdown near Bellandur adding to the mess.
In evenings also the traffic backup to cross Ecospace is extending till Marathahalli and stays on till 8-9 pm this week (in other weeks evening traffic starts to free up after 7:30pm).
Hopefully BWSSB completes their work quick and by that time the Ecospace footbridge also completes which will enormously help vehicular traffic.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:54   #11942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
On Sunday (or Saturday) BWSSB dug up ORR in front of Ecospace causing mayhem this week (and for another week or 2). They had not taken permission citing emergency work (I guess to clear drainage or something causing the kadubeesanahalli underpass to become swimming pool during mild rains). This is the reason for increased traffic chaos this week causing backup that extends till Noon. Plus every single day this week there was bus or some other vehicle breakdown near Bellandur adding to the mess.
In evenings also the traffic backup to cross Ecospace is extending till Marathahalli and stays on till 8-9 pm this week (in other weeks evening traffic starts to free up after 7:30pm).
Hopefully BWSSB completes their work quick and by that time the Ecospace footbridge also completes which will enormously help vehicular traffic.
Its not just that. There are new offices that have opened up. Many in Global Tech Park (LSI) and EcoWorld. Earlier I used to get out of Global Tech Park in 2-3 min now it takes 20 minutes. Ecospace mess is only adding up.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:56   #11943
BHPian

Left eckspace at 3.15pm today and took 90 mins to reach JP nagar. Crawled from Agara flyover till Udipi garden signal, where a BMTC bus had broken down. Was able to speed up after that.
Old 29th June 2016, 18:05   #11944
Senior - BHPian

I have actually given up driving to Bagmane world since beginning of the month. Whilst the traffic nightmare hasnt gone away, what is at ease is the fact that i can sit in the comforts of the Volvo bus that i take from Banashankari. I took my car to work after a long time yesterday, and boy, it was such a nightmare. The traffic bottleneck was ONLY due to the eco space mess.

It was 11.30 AM when i crossed Silk board, and i could cross Ecospace only at 12.40 pm. People wanting to get into Ecospace had piled up along the single lane service road in the middle. There were 3 lanes of cars waiting to snuggle into that lane. The left most lane was blocked by the Buses, and there were pedestrians crossing the road. All of these were very spicy recipes for the disastrous back up from Ecospace till Agara side.

Once i crossed Ecospace, i could reach Bagmane World in 10-12 minutes.

Ecospace needs some serious thinking for some serious workable solutions.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 18:22   #11945
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend has a misfortune of getting his bike into a pothole on the ORR. This is at the end of the down ramp over the Mysuru road towards PESIT. The result was a bent rim and an endless wait for a replacement. However there were no causalities but something major waiting to happen in near future. So people using this road be aware of this spot.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20160629wa0005.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20160629wa0002.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20160629wa0003.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20160629wa0004.jpg

While the Bengaluru is slow moving on one side, the faster ones have their own drawbacks.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 18:22   #11946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
IEcospace needs some serious thinking for some serious workable solutions.
The only way, I feel is to make the vehicle parking in EcoSpace prohibitively expensive. I know this would not gel well with the employees who work out of that place. But unless EcoSpace has some manageable amount of vehicles coming in and going out of the place, this problem would not get resolved.
Old 29th June 2016, 18:29   #11947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The only way, I feel is to make the vehicle parking in EcoSpace prohibitively expensive. I know this would not gel well with the employees who work out of that place.
Ecospace is politically well-connected, isn't it? I've heard that is the reason they get near-direct access from ORR, and any kind of congestion control measure in that area is withdrawn quickly enough.

Otherwise I'd want BTP to install traffic lights at exit points of such places - Ecospace is one, Phoenix Market City is another. With long reds for people attempting to exit the place.

Edit: Came across these. Should come to Bangalore too.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...hyderabad.html
http://asianetindia.com/wear-your-he...ol-in-cuttack/
http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...news-1.1167714

Last edited by binand : 29th June 2016 at 18:31.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 18:33   #11948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
It was 11.30 AM when i crossed Silk board, and i could cross Ecospace only at 12.40 pm.

More than 4 years back, I used to drive from Meenakshi Temple on Bannerghatta road to EcoSpace to drop my wife and then continue on to Manyata. I dont think I will be able to fit that into a single day now and still be productive at work!

Sad to see that over these years, situation has only deteriorated in Bangalore.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 19:00   #11949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
It was already done for quite a few years on Richmond circle flyover. There was a signal and traffic was diverted on the wrong side for a few mins creating the illusion of driving in a right-hand-side-drive country.
Thats exactly why i added this point.
As the new flyover is getting constructed in ORR, no wonder if they do it again

-Ravi
Old 29th June 2016, 19:25   #11950
BHPian

The point that I see here, after driving through so much horror for relatively infinite time when compared to normal regular commute time, also mentally abusing tens of bus drivers and cab drivers how does everyone get in a frame of mind to work at their workplace.

I have tweaked my work hours so that I hit lesser traffic, but that luxury is also getting away with the kind of traffic apocalypse that we are experiencing. It takes me good time to get into frame of mind to work upon reaching work place and when back. That is when when I absolutely love driving and love spending time in/with my car. I honestly feel, how much of productively is bangalore losing everyday. This is just converting us all into a bunch of very very irritated people.

I can handle the slow moving traffic and bottlenecks and all. I lose it when I see people (starting from bikes, then yellow plates and then huge multi-axle trucks) driving on the wrong way. I have seen so many a times that these offenders passing next to a traffic inspector unquestioned. I strongly feel, to start with DL cancellation and vehicle impounding should be done for such offenders who are willingly breaking rules.
Rahul_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 19:38   #11951
BHPian

With the Yemlur (off) road perennially under water and slush I have been using Kaggadasapura - Marathalli - ORR - PTP route since 2 weeks.

Until the Yemlur Junction traffic moves at snail's pace. Beyond that a slightly faster snail :-) and beyond that a slower snail pace until we get into PTP. Last week I observed that a U Turn was allowed before Marathalli which helped me to take the Tulasi theater road to reach the service road which connects PTP.

Today was like any other day when while taking the U turn a cop clicks photos of the car. :-( . Rules changed overnight.

And the time taken is just over an hour for a distance under 10 kms one way.

To top it as soon as I exit my apartment there was a jam and slow traffic till the main road. The road in question is 5th Main Malleshpalya which is a link road to Kaggadasapura as well.

This has become a routine and now I am used to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1467209249180.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1467209264682.jpg  

Old 29th June 2016, 19:44   #11952
BHPian

Vehicle vehicle every where.. Not a single road to drive.. This is the condition of Bangalore. More than 50% of the traffic snarls are created by unruly and uncivilized way of driving by all category of vehicles.

Last edited by Sree73 : 29th June 2016 at 19:47.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 21:11   #11953
BHPian

Some RJ on an evening show today: Someone just called in saying there is a Jam at ecospace.So avoid roads around EcoSpace.
Colleague: Yeah, and do what fly?

I thank my stars when I am able to cover 6 kms to and fro(Ecospace to Marathahalli) in an hour. If it were another country authorities would have been sued for allowing growth without infrastructure but not in India and not especially when it comes to Bangalore, where you pay one of the highest road taxes for non existent roads/slush/jams.
And as for EcoSpace, the mother of all IT parks in the world, words can't describe the ride in and out everyday. If people plan to group together and sue the builder for such a stupid goof up by allowing so many offices and a single exit, count me in. And guess what they are making more offices inside to add just that extra pinch of hell to all your lives people. Wonder who allows them despite the extreme pain it gives to and fro for the ORR commuters everyday.
AppyS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 22:33   #11954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The only way, I feel is to make the vehicle parking in EcoSpace prohibitively expensive. I know this would not gel well with the employees who work out of that place. But unless EcoSpace has some manageable amount of vehicles coming in and going out of the place, this problem would not get resolved.
It may not solve the problem. People will hire cabs if they need to pay for parking. May lead to additional chaos.
Old 29th June 2016, 22:44   #11955
JD1
BHPian

The worst part about Ecospace traffic is that this is known since a year or two and nobody is talking about implementable long term solutions - only rhetoric and plans that will never see the light of day. The biggest change is the footbridge that is being built and that itself is a statement of poor initial planning and I-dont-care attitude of politicians !!! Now let's welcome Ecoworld into this ORR world to further destroy the 2 km/hr speed that we are getting in that stretch.
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed