Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 12:23   #12241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Not a single person interested?
No statutory powers, no remuneration, special duties... why would anyone be interested?
Old 28th July 2016, 12:31   #12242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
No statutory powers, no remuneration, special duties... why would anyone be interested?
I guess in that case we can just carry on the rants and not do anything to help solving the situation!
KevinP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 12:45   #12243
BHPian

Just returned back home, after spending 2.5 hrs in traffic from 9:45AM to 12:15 AM. In the last 2 hrs, the traffic barely moved 500 meters from More megastore, Mahadevapura to EMC

I don't think it was just the flooded railway underpass that was holding up traffic. Must've been deadlocks too, as people were driving along on wrong side as well.
Old 28th July 2016, 13:08   #12244
Team-BHP Support

I left my BSK 3rd Stage home @ 8.45 AM for a meeting scheduled to begin @ 11.45AM, was still at Marathahalli at @ 11.30AM. Sick of (sometimes not so) silently cursing the never ending traffic and other people sitting in the cab muttering how they could walk to office faster, I finally decided to do it!

22 kms from my home to Marathahalli in a cab = 2 hrs 45 mins = 8km/hr
3.2 kms from Marathahalli to Bagmane WTC Doddanekundi in 25 mins on my two feet = 7.688km/hr

I can almost literally walk as fast as BLR traffic. I can't change the city, but I refuse to be handicapped by its deficiencies.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th July 2016 at 16:15.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:17   #12245
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of experiences from friends today:
1. Bus commute from Hebbal-Whitefield took about 3 hours, attributed mostly to the water logging near Tin Factory

2. Haralur Road to Whitefield by car took 3 hours, attributed mostly to the water logging in the underpasses on ORR
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:38   #12246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I can almost literally walk as fast as BLR traffic. I can't change the city, but I refuse to be handicapped by its deficiencies.
Appreciate your feat Mate. But who knows a time may come when there is traffic jam because everyone decides to walk . As such there is less space for the cars and 2 wheelers to move. Now imagine if everyone starts walking.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th July 2016 at 16:27. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 28th July 2016, 13:44   #12247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
I guess in that case we can just carry on the rants and not do anything to help solving the situation!
You are falling into a logical fallacy called politician's syllogism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politician%27s_syllogism

As far as I'm concerned, the "no remuneration, no power" description of these wardens' work only demonstrates the level of disinterest the top brass has in solving the city's problems.
binand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:54   #12248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Appreciate your feat Mate. But who knows a time may come when there is traffic jam because everyone decides to walk . As such there is less space for the cars and 2 wheelers to move. Now imagine if everyone starts walking.
There's nowhere to walk already!

I was nearly run over as many times as the number of minutes I spent walking, and a majority of idiots were probably driving to the same campus I work at or some such, going by appearances. The only person who didn't honk at me when I had to walk into the middle of a lane (or barely crawling traffic) for a few steps to avoid a puddle, was a public bus driver. This isn't about education, this is about common human decency that seems to ebb away in inverse proportion to the money people earn.

I met an old lungi-clad Malayalam-speaking gentleman on the way, who asked me in broken English how far Yeshwantpur was, I was . He said he caught a bus from Whitefield and had a train to catch later in the day, and still had a smile on his face saying he didn't expect such a long morning walk, and had no money on him. He refused to take any money I offered him to take a cab and showed me his bus and train ticket and pointed to the jam: "your money is as useless to me right now as these tickets. God bless you".

As much the morons in govt. and civic authorities are failing citizens of my reasonably well-to-do ilk, it's people like him who bear the brunt of this horrendous mis-management much worse than I'll ever experience myself.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th July 2016 at 13:56.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 14:26   #12249
BHPian

Quote:
As much the morons in govt. and civic authorities are failing citizens of my reasonably well-to-do ilk, it's people like him who bear the brunt of this horrendous mis-management much worse than I'll ever experience myself.
Don't you think this is the right time for the 'road users' to show their anti and go on a strike? If tonight it doesn’t rain, we all forget the underpass and start focusing on Ecospace!
Old 28th July 2016, 14:50   #12250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3.2 kms from Marathahalli to Bagmane WTC Doddanekundi in 25 mins on my two feet = 7.688km/hr
Completely

If these figures are right then you need to be on the Indian long distance running Olympic team.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th July 2016 at 16:29. Reason: Quoted post edited
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 15:06   #12251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Completely

If these figures are right then you need to be on the Indian long distance running Olympic team.
I was surprised too, but then I had a gun to my head (critical meeting with my global lead, different story that it got delayed because others were still on the way!), and it was a relatively short stretch. My actual long-distance pace probably won't get me onto any team worth naming, but thanks for the compliment!

I do walk/jog/run for leisure (done it for years), but I absolutely despise doing it with a clock ticking up/down. Takes the fun out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Ha Ha. Marathahalli bridge to WTC is 3.1 km if you walk along the road. That brings down the average speed to a more realistic 7.44 kmph
Thanks for catching the brain-fart. Presumably forgot to switch G-Maps to walking mode:blush:. There go my Olympic dreams. Oh well

P.S. Do I report my obviously (but inadvertently) dubious claims to the mods or do I get to keep my road speed record?

Last edited by Zappo : 28th July 2016 at 19:04. Reason: Two smilies per post please.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 15:16   #12252
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Ha Ha. Marathahalli bridge to WTC is 3.1 km if you walk along the road. That brings down the average speed to a more realistic 7.44 kmph

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th July 2016 at 16:31. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 28th July 2016, 16:21   #12253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Reported to mods and fixed now. You owe me an Olympic spot!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 20:17   #12254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This morning as I approached the Tin Factory junction from Railway underpass at Benniganahalli on Old Madras Road I was surprised to see the junction ahead totally free and clear. When I reached closer to the place where ORR down ramp merges, I saw very few vehicles were merging and couple of cops were just doing 'bystander' duty. There was quite a lot of water logging at that point which caused reduced number of vehicles to come down on the ramp very slowly. This problem ensured that the junction near the Hanging bridge and even the service road all the way upto KR Puram Railway station was fast moving!

*Picture of the situation is there in @procrj's post above
I had experienced something similar few months back after a heavy rain.Sped through Tin factory and KR Puram at 50-60kmph while hundreds of vehicles were stuck on the downramp from ORR.
Old 29th July 2016, 00:48   #12255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Seen these fliers around HSR today. ]
News article about this protest.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks