Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 15:50   #12511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Just got this on WhatsApp:

"Accident near bidadi.. huge traffic towards mysore..debris yet to be moved from road. Reschedule trips to 1 hour later towards mysore"
Old 30th August 2016, 19:13   #12512
BHPian

Today I saw a Santro near Hoodi with all its windows (including driver side window!!!) and rear windshield covered with those non-transparent window blinds Highly stupid or plain careless!!!!
Old 30th August 2016, 20:18   #12513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Highly stupid or plain careless!!!!
Did you see it met with an accident or about to?
As long as he is driving safe, why blame him, when you have as stupid and careless people on the road without any such barriers and with two wide open eyes trolling around and causing accidents.
Old 30th August 2016, 20:25   #12514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Did you see it met with an accident or about to?
As long as he is driving safe, why blame him, when you have as stupid and careless people on the road without any such barriers and with two wide open eyes trolling around and causing accidents.
He almost did cause an accident while changing from the left to right lane as there was a car next to his car.
Seeing you defend the driver so strongly, were you in the car by any chance?

How can you call him a safe driver when his rear windshield is covered by window blinds? And how can you call something like this as a barrier? Ridiculous argument!!!
I might have trolled him, but it was not as unsafe as what this other guy was doing.

Last edited by rohanak1 : 30th August 2016 at 20:34.
Old 30th August 2016, 21:27   #12515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
He almost did cause an accident while changing from the left to right lane as there was a car next to his car.
Seeing you defend the driver so strongly, were you in the car by any chance?

How can you call him a safe driver when his rear windshield is covered by window blinds? And how can you call something like this as a barrier? Ridiculous argument!!!
I might have trolled him, but it was not as unsafe as what this other guy was doing.
I did not try to defend that driver. I wouldn't deserve to be here if I did. I was just trying to cool you down mate, meaning to say, those things what you saw today are part and parcel of Bangalore traffic!

balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 22:46   #12516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I did not try to defend that driver. I wouldn't deserve to be here if I did. I was just trying to cool you down mate, meaning to say, those things what you saw today are part and parcel of Bangalore traffic!

In that case I am really sorry balenoed. I generally keep cool to all the nonsense that happens on our roads as it will continue to happen and no point losing my mind over it as in the end it's going to give me a hard time. We just need to keep cool and move on.
Old 31st August 2016, 06:41   #12517
Senior - BHPian

With heavy rains lashing Bangalore through the night, will we be in for another traffic mess today.
Planning to work from home today instead of enduring the nightmare on the roads.
Old 31st August 2016, 08:33   #12518
Senior - BHPian

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...cus-turns.html

Focusing on metro construction would make sense rather than going for BRTS. Not sure if BRTS will actually work in Bangalore.
Old 31st August 2016, 08:40   #12519
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this post on BTP Facebook page. Road closure applicable for next 5 days.

For those around Sarjapur road.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fb_img_1472612864482.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 08:48   #12520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...cus-turns.html

Focusing on metro construction would make sense rather than going for BRTS. Not sure if BRTS will actually work in Bangalore.
This is from metro man Shreedharan,
Quote:
Rejecting the idea of a Bus Rapid Transit System Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS), Sreedharan said it would not be able to handle the traffic on Bengaluru's narrow roads.
Link: http://m.timesofindia.com/city/benga...w/53692560.cms

Nothing more to add.
Old 31st August 2016, 09:04   #12521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This is from metro man Shreedharan,

Link: http://m.timesofindia.com/city/benga...w/53692560.cms

Nothing more to add.
Not sure if anyone is proposing to have BRTS on small roads. Just for facts, when there was BMTC strike, the number of passengers the Nayandahalli-Byappanahalli metro carried in a day was 1 lakh. Compare this to over 50 lakh that BMTC carries everyday. So you need a combination of both to solve the issues.

But I agree that we need Metro expansion in a mammoth extent since BMTC itself causes lots of traffic mess everywhere and has reached a point where more buses can only add to traffic chaos and cannot solve traffic jams.

Also, the travelling time is pretty much constant in Metro and train based services. RK Mishra has said there are 9 lakh people working on the ORR stretch. What kind of system would solve this issue ?
Old 31st August 2016, 09:21   #12522
Distinguished - BHPian

One more round of planning for de-congesting KR Puram:

FLYOVERS EXPECTED TO EASE TRAFFIC IN KR PURAM
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/53935146.cms

KR Puram junction, one of the major congestion points of the city, might see some relief in the coming days. The consultancy that is preparing the revised master plan (RMP) for Bengaluru 2031 for the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA), has proposed construction of three flyovers, an underpass and an intermodal interchange hub with three levels at the KR Puram Railway Station.

According to the report accessed by Bangalore Mirror, the Old Madras Road (NH4) at KR Puram Junction carries both inter- and intra-city traffic and witnesses heavy passenger and goods' movement. The location is peculiar in that there is KR Puram Railway Station and rail overbridge (cable bridge) at the same junction.

The planning authorities have a lot of work to do here. The stretch from Ulsoor Lake to KR Puram is punctuated by several roads, and these are plagued by poor junction design and high-traffic volumes. The existing KR Puram railway station, local bus stand, inter-city bus stop at KR Puram Cable Bridge, the newly-proposed world-class railway station at Baiyappanahalli, the KSRTC Satellite Bus Depot at Baiyappanahalli, and the proposed extension of metro phase 2 from Baiyappanahalli towards Whitefield - all offer an opportunity for multi-modal integration of different transport systems.

A reconnaissance survey of Old Madras Road - from Ulsoor to KR Puram/ORR - was conducted to identify possible improvements for this stretch.

What are the problems?

Several attempts have failed to regulate traffic management on this particular stretch. The Indiranagar BDA Complex, Indiranagar Police Station and Indiranagar bus depot are all on this stretch. Swami Vivekananda Road currently has five consecutive left turns towards Ulsoor at very small intervals. This has an adverse impact on traffic movement, resulting in traffic congestion.

Further, it is said that the newly-proposed, 'world-class' railway station is being developed by South Western Railways (SWR) at Baiyappanahalli railway yard. The access to this station is only through Old Madras Road-NGEF or Baiyappanhalli junction, which is already congested.

According to the report, there exists a half-finished flyover on Baiyappanhalli Main Road, extending from the proposed railway station at Baiyappanahalli towards Old Madras Road over the existing level-crossing. Adding to the ongoing traffic mess is the Bagmane tech park, located off Suranjan Das Road, along with a number of industrial units, all adding to considerable traffic.

The metro line currently terminating just north of the stretch of Old Madras Road, creates considerable traffic and generates commercial activity around the Beninganhalli lake junction. Going a little ahead, at KR Puram railway station, the rail over bridge towards Whitefield intersects the KR Puram junction at exactly the point where traffic from four different directions merges. The consultancy firm noticed that the poor junction design and inadequate integration of modes ensured that traffic was perennially clogged at this junction.

WHAT ARE THE PROPOSALS?

1 Junction of CMH Road (Intermediate Ring Road) and Baiyappanahalli: A unidirectional flyover, 2.5 km-long, has been proposed from Indiranagar BDA complex towards RMZ Millennia (east of Ulsoor Lake), in the direction of Trinity Circle, to have 'seamless' traffic movement.
According to a report, segregating to- and fro- traffic by means of the unidirectional flyover would reduce congestion caused by multiple consecutive left turns on this stretch. In order to make this junction signal-free, an underpass is proposed from CMH road towards Baiyappanahalli metro station on Swamy Vivekananda main road below the metro line. Right turn movement from Ulsoor towards CMH road on Swamy Vivekananda can take place below the metro station.

2 NGEF Circle junction of Suranjan Das Road and NGEF Main Road — A flyover has been proposed from Indiranagar General Hospital all the way up to KR Puram railway station junction, to join the existing cable bridge. The approximate length of the flyover is 9 km. U-turns will be provided under the flyover where required. A right turn link is proposed towards NGEF main road from Swamy Vivekananda road, which will connect to the proposed Baiyappanahalli Railway Station. NGEF main road is proposed for widening to 24 m thus improving connectivity to the new railway station at Baiyappanahalli.

3 Beninganahalli lake junction towards KR Puram Cable Bridge - A double-height flyover has been proposed towards KR Puram rail over bridge at Beninganahalli. Traffic coming from the ORR grade separator from Hebbal can merge onto the double-height flyover towards KR Puram. The traffic from KR Puram towards Trinity Circle will move on the existing single-height flyover. Also the metro line runs in-between the flyovers, thereby segregating traffic from all directions.

4 KR Puram railway station junction at the intersection of NH4 (towards Hoskote) and Outer Ring Road towards Sarjapura - An intermodal interchange hub with three levels has been proposed at KR Puram railway station. On the ground level, KR Puram railway station; at second level, BMTC bus station and at the top level, BMRCL metro station has been proposed. The will improve accessibility and reduce the congestion at KR Puram/ Tin Factory.
Currently, there is an existing uni-directional flyover from Mahadevapura to Lowry Junction. The double-height flyover will further link to cable bridge flyover (to be widened) and connect Tin Factory to the Ring Road flyover that lands at Lowry College. Another arm of the flyover will merge with IRPL main road via a half cloverleaf interchange. This will help vehicles from Hebbal to seamlessly bypass the KR Puram junction and continue their journey towards Marathalli and beyond.
A bus terminal has been proposed at 7.5 m above the railway track, integrating the railway line with the buses and metro. Thus, the integrated interchange hub for three different modes of transport has been proposed.
Old 31st August 2016, 09:38   #12523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
FLYOVERS EXPECTED TO EASE TRAFFIC IN KR PURAM

KR Puram junction, one of the major congestion points of the city, might see some relief in the coming days. The consultancy that is preparing the revised master plan (RMP) for Bengaluru 2031
I'm laughing at the year in the plan's title of 'RMP for Bengaluru 2031', because given the pace of work of civil works, that's when its likely to finish. I'm crying thinking of the traffic mess this will cause during the construction period!

That said, KR Puram is long overdue for an improvement, so here's wishing them well.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 09:57   #12524
BHPian

For a while now, Abhishek Goyal has been tweeting about roads sinking.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cratyqfwgaap_6n.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cratyvywiaejonc.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cq710kxvuaa6afj.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cq710lbvmaahrsi.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cqojmftvmaaxnxk.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cqmsbixukaa5vs.jpg

This is outside my house. They had dug up the road to lay some BWSSB pipelines. And no re-laying the road after this. This is the third vehicle in two days to get stuck. I can't imagine what would happen in the coming days, especially at dark.

Apart from this, all over HSR layout, GAIL is hard at work digging up roads to lay those gas pipelines. What do they do after? Close up the dug up portions LOOSELY with mud, and then layer with stones. If it rains overnight, the entire layer is now a sunk mud pit. They come 4-5 days later, and put a very very thin layer of tar, without packing in the mud. Another day of rains, and we have tar pits.

And to top it all off, they dig the tarred portion AGAIN, to put junction areas or what not.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20160831-9.14.40-am.jpeg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20160831-9.14.42-am.jpeg

The apathy of BBMP is just appalling. The attitude says it all doesn't it ? Yes we are corrupt. I don't care if you know it or not. We will not get caught. Even if we are, it'll be 2 decades before we are sent to prison.
bharat4ever is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 10:46   #12525
BHPian

Roads are built on soil. If theres a gap below the earth, and water is draining out soil slowly, eventually theres going to be a significant hollow area which may not hold up after a certain amount of stress.

So EoD, tar roads sink. And we can't do much about that.

Seeing people exclaim & complain is getting so usual now, I'm almost numb to it !

We've ourselves handed over responsibility & autonomy to the corrupt BBMP. And its not like citizens have been active to ensure they follow a fool-proof work-flow.

Then when houses are demolished even after having all approvals, we "allow" the aggrieved to suffer. Alone.

IMO apart from corruption, social apathy is the biggest stress creator. Whether its a government body or a private enterprise or even a household.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 31st August 2016 at 10:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks