Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2016, 19:43   #12691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishhm74 View Post
Left office at Graphite at 16:30 and reached JP Nagar by 17:45!! Took the old airport road via Koramangala inner ring road and Silkboard.. Was pleasantly surprised at lack of traffic.. Not sure how the traffic was via usual Outer Ring Road route but google maps showed crimson red all way through.
1hr 10 minute commute today from Whitefield to BSK Via old airport road. Situation was clean throughout. Heard there was some issue near Marathahalli bridge which caused a huge pile up. Apart from that the majority of riots were there southward from my area with lot of stuff burnt here and there. Not sure about the situation tomorrow but wherever it's happening, people seem to have a negative attitude against professionals. One of my friend and colleague was ganged upon though he is a born localite. He had to convince people that he was a localite and yet they mocked at him for not being a part of the protest. Pretty helpless the situation is for any person.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 19:49   #12692
Senior - BHPian

Just back home. The drive from my office in Sarjapur to my home near Lalbagh was peaceful. No issues along the way and no traffic as well. Shops were all closed along the route though! One thing I noticed was that people were driving properly, no honking and no rash driving plus all stopping on red signals.

Seeing news now about some 20 buses belonging to KPN and other travels burnt .
Old 12th September 2016, 20:21   #12693
Senior - BHPian

Started from Whitefield at 1800Hrs, and was at home by around 1900Hrs. At least on Whitefield Main Road, Varthur road etc. things were peaceful. Saw policemen chasing away crowds, most likely trying to shut down shops. A couple of Hoysala mobiles were also there.

How ever (totally opposite to my prediction); the evening has actually increased the rioting. Mysore road, Nayandahalli, Byatarayanapura are all a war zone now. Pretty much every senior officer of the police is out there now. Additional forces are getting rushed in from other zones of the city, but at places their vehicles are getting gharaoed.

Last edited by SDP : 13th September 2016 at 14:50. Reason: Edited off-topic portion of the post
Old 12th September 2016, 20:25   #12694
BHPian

Reached home at Kodihalli on Old Airport Road from Malleshwaram. Drive was peaceful; BMTC buses are in service including Volvo's and Airport shuttles. Only police presence was near Trinity circle, just 5 in number. Does not inspire any confidence to citizens.
Old 12th September 2016, 20:51   #12695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
#CauveryIssue: #Section144 CrPC Is Imposed In Bengaluru City From 12-09-2016 to 14-09-2016.Strict action shall b initiated agnst miscreants
Source: https://twitter.com/BlrCityPolice/st...48335376945156

Better hold on tight and not venture out for the next 2 days.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 20:57   #12696
Distinguished - BHPian

I never believed in politics and, being an Indian, not governance either.. nevertheless its very depressing what has happened all of a sudden today and the rest of the month looks bleak as well as the city has ruptured and torn in half, never in my dreams did I imagine that I'll get to see such a situation in a city with a strong fabric yet known for its indifference in a cool way. If this is the scene today I don't think it's going to improve over the next few years.. in fact it might worsen to a point where no work can get done, no infrastructure is built and of course.. the water availability problem as well. When I was a baby the city had a little under 30 lakhs in terms of population and today it is nearly 4 times that, this puts pressure on every available resource - water, electricity, space, food, traffic etc.

As someone who casually drove about underneath the arching canopies of tree-lined boulevards without a care in the world just 7-8 years ago - be it anywhere, Indiranagar, Jayanagar, Electronics City, Sarjapur Road, heck even M.G Road, Brigade Road, Lavelle Road, Langford Town etc, today I find it incredibly difficult to reach my office at a distance of 5.5 km in an hour. Its heart breaking in a number of ways for me personally and only because I'm attached in some way, to this city and I'm seeing it drown, slowly. My childhood, my simplest, happiest moments can never be relived anymore.

Last edited by SDP : 12th September 2016 at 23:36. Reason: Removing last para. Hope you understand.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 22:17   #12697
BHPian

I need to go to the airport from near Iskon at midnight to pick up some family members. What is the current situation there? Can anyone let me know?

Last edited by SDP : 13th September 2016 at 14:52. Reason: Please use CAPITAL letters where required
Old 12th September 2016, 22:21   #12698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
i need to go to the airport from near Iskon at midnight to pick up some family members. what is the current situation there? can anyone let me know?
Most of the escalated disturbance seems to be focused around the Mysore Road area. Midnight hours should be safe (BTP tweeted that airport transport is functioning normally), but it would still be advisable to not travel alone if possible.
Old 12th September 2016, 22:21   #12699
BHPian

I travelled today @5PM from Electronic City to Whitefield. It was more or less normal except some traffic congestion near Marathahalli.
Old 12th September 2016, 22:22   #12700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
i need to go to the airport from near Iskon at midnight to pick up some family members. what is the current situation there? can anyone let me know?
As long as you have a KA vehicle, and are well versed with Kannada, hit the street. Worst case you may face some blocks which you can clear if you tell your dear one is coming home from abroad or something. Not a huge risk. Avoid any confrontations and just listen if someone tells you to get back home. Thats it I feel.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 22:23   #12701
BHPian

Is there any issue with fuel availability. My fuel is almost nearing empty and I need to hit the airport at around 4 in the morning from JP Nagar. Any fuel bunks operating at that time on the route ????
Old 12th September 2016, 22:34   #12702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Is there any issue with fuel availability. My fuel is almost nearing empty and I need to hit the airport at around 4 in the morning from JP Nagar. Any fuel bunks operating at that time on the route ????
i am sure there will be other options, but one 24 hour petrol bunk i remember is next to madhav rao park in basavangudi. I will be headed to the airport at midnight, I'll let you know if I see any bunks open
Old 12th September 2016, 22:43   #12703
JD1
BHPian

Even though there were lot of rumours floating around since Noon, City Police twitter handle did an awesome job of constantly communicating.
I wanted to work till late but seeing the situation getting worse, I decided to leave around 5:30 from Whitefield. At that time ORR was showing RED in google maps around Marathahalli and Bellandur while reports of protests at Ecospace were coming. So decided to take the Hope Farm, Varthur, Sarjapur road long way to reach HSR Layout. No issues with traffic or any tire burning thruout the route. Infact shops in Varthur were opened. However they were closed on Sarjapur road and HSR. Smoothly reached by 7. After reaching home I checked and came to know about the lorry accident which might have choked Marathahalli-kadubeesanahalli traffic.

My office has declared close tomorrow so one more working from home day.

Can someone working in Ecospace confirm that there were issues in late afternoon/evening or was it just rumours?

Last edited by SDP : 13th September 2016 at 00:01. Reason: Deleted off-topic potion
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 22:43   #12704
BHPian

Quote:
My fuel is almost nearing empty and I need to hit the airport at around 4 in the morning from JP Nagar. ????

If you don't find fuel pump in the city then if you somehow make it to the airport road you will find lots of pumps along side the airport road but below the elevated road many are open 24 hrs.
Old 12th September 2016, 22:44   #12705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about this as I have seen all petrol bunks closed down on my way from office as well as near my home. Might open later in the night if the situation returns to normal.

Most Viewed