Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 11:56   #12841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Atleast they decided not to go the BRT way on this bad designed ORR

I think we need to hire road planners from abroad since its a unheard science in this country and is mostly a art (a bad kind).

But again Cities do not remain planned ones as a whole once it starts growing. So planning has to be done in satellite/autonomous parts
Old 20th September 2016, 13:30   #12842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
PS: BTW, I do I haul 30KG airport baggage, in metro, from city to airport
That's where our city planning(or the lack of planning) comes to the fore. I've once taken 30Kg luggages in Germany in Metro trains for large distances from inside city to airports. from the place where I was accommodated till the airport, the ramps, the lifts, footpath heights matching the bus and S-bahns(street-trains) floors, foothpath seamlessly merging into roads at junctions are all so neatly done as per standards, all these made sure that pulling the luggage was as easy as how we pull it inside the airport. Of course, my luggage had the bigger wheels which helped too.

Quote:
The new name is 'Madivala Machideva Road'. Unfortunately, it doesn't touch Madivala area at all
Madivala in Kannada means a person who washes clothes and this person Machideva must have been one such person. Its nothing do with the Area Madivala. IMO, HAL road would've been a better choice of name for the Old Airport road
In fact the Locality Madivala got its name because years ago, when Bangalore ended at the current East end(precisely why it is called so), this area was full of washermen and hence the area got its name.
Edit: BHPian binand has given more info

Quote:
This is insulting to engineering capability of BDA. The engineers who designed flyovers must come out and defend their design in public.
The BDA engineers would be least bothered. Of the flyovers I've seen in Bengaluru, I feel Hebbal flyover and Jayadeva flyover are poorly designed. and then the magic boxes at Kaveri theatre junction and KR circle are bad too

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 20th September 2016 at 13:32.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 15:50   #12843
BHPian

Amongst poorly designed flyovers, the prize must go to the twins on either side of Ecospace, Bellandur.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 17:15   #12844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Amongst poorly designed flyovers, the prize must go to the twins on either side of Ecospace, Bellandur.
Add the agara lake/ORR/HSR layout twins as well
Old 20th September 2016, 19:17   #12845
Senior - BHPian

Drove back at 1800hrs from ITPL side towards Elec. City. Traffic was less till even Varthur town. Then there was a mad rush of trucks and cars from Sarjapur side. May be they just crossed over to KA side before the verdict news got spread.

Police also is present in better strength. So let us hope things would all be peaceful.
Old 20th September 2016, 21:33   #12846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Silk board - KR Puram metro to be implemented along with phase 2.

Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../45654242.cms?
Three expressways are slated to come up at busy junctions, connecting Hebbal, Hosur Road and K R Puram
For Silkboard-Hebbal stretch, the Govt has to decide whether they are building a metro or elevated expressway or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It is not named after the locality. Madivala Machideva is a historical figure, profiled here:

http://lingayatreligion.com/Sharanar..._Machideva.htm
The name 'Old Airport Road' isn't going away soon. Lets say by a long shot people start using the new name. Madivala Road is easy on the tongue than Machideva Road. In case people start calling it as Madivala Road, a newcomer would be surprised to learn that this road doesn't pass via Madivala area. I was alluding to this conjecture
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 08:02   #12847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The name 'Old Airport Road' isn't going away soon. Lets say by a long shot people start using the new name. Madivala Road is easy on the tongue than Machideva Road. In case people start calling it as Madivala Road, a newcomer would be surprised to learn that this road doesn't pass via Madivala area.
Yep. Couple of years back they renamed Indiranagar 100 ft Road after SK Karim Khan, yet I don't think even the road signs are completely changed.

OA Road already can create a lot of confusion - there are several signs on ORR at least that tell travelers to take the OA Road to reach the airport. This, despite the new airport being operational for nearly 10 years now.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 08:55   #12848
BHPian

Traffic situation is pretty normal. Yelahanka to Cessna Business Park took 60 minutes, when i started at 0700 hrs.
Old 21st September 2016, 09:16   #12849
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update on the situation around Madivala/ Silkboard/ E-City today? I need to go and pick up my car from the service station which is in Electronic city. Bad idea today?
Old 21st September 2016, 09:46   #12850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Any update on the situation around Madivala/ Silkboard/ E-City today? I need to go and pick up my car from the service station which is in Electronic city. Bad idea today?
Life is normal in E-City! Traffic is also back to "Form".

Last edited by SDP : 21st September 2016 at 10:21. Reason: Deleting off-topic portion of the post
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 10:21   #12851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Traffic was fairly normal (implying crowded). Reached EC about 20 mins back from NGEF (Byapanahalli Metro). Took me about 50 mins, left at 9am.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 10:33   #12852
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, a few updated directly from BTP site:

1. Richmond Road flyover loop now open. That should massively alleviate the mess underneath on the left service road which is overwhelmed by the ongoing TenderSURE work.

2. All vehicles going to KR Puram and Tumkur, i.e. not towards KIA, stay left at CBI Junction. You can already spot bikers coming the wrong way :-(

3. Foot-Over-Bridge (FOB) work about to start at Bharatinagar Cross just after the Yelahanka Air Force Station (when KIA-bound) sweeping downhill curve on Bellary Road. It is anyway a risky stretch and they will close off the fast lane and create a oval shaped construction area on the median for the concrete support work.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-clipboard01.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-clipboard02.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st September 2016 at 10:36. Reason: Photo
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 11:22   #12853
BHPian

The electronic city traffic police have, in my opinion, a great job with the traffic flow redesign at the hosa road signal. I have to take a couple of u-turns to go from Basapura road to Hosa Road and vice versa, but the wait times at the signal have definitely reduced.
Notyetgrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 13:12   #12854
BHPian

Quote:
The name 'Old Airport Road' isn't going away soon. Lets say by a long shot people start using the new name. Madivala Road is easy on the tongue than Machideva Road. In case people start calling it as Madivala Road, a newcomer would be surprised to learn that this road doesn't pass via Madivala area. I was alluding to this conjecture
Unfortunately, google maps has already updated the name of old airport road to Madivala Machideva Road.
I found this when I was doing my usual traffic check this morning before starting to work and was confused as to why it is asking me to take Madivala road!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 15:05   #12855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
The electronic city traffic police have, in my opinion, a great job with the traffic flow redesign at the hosa road signal
I too feel the same. I usually join from Hosapalya road to kudlu junction and then on the left hand side service road to join the Hosa main road from that junction. From the past few weeks, I was connecting to Bomanahalli straight from HSR layout and continue on the left side service road all the way to Hosa road junction. But now, due to the diversions and re-design of the flow, I join Hosur road at Kudlu junction and then continue on the main road till Electronic City Phase 1 signal. It has been relatively less of a hassle.
Having said that, on monday evening, I left office at 6 and reached home in HSR layout at 7:15 pm

Last edited by SDP : 21st September 2016 at 16:07. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Most Viewed