Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 18:54   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Service Roads are not main roads period.
Common sense. The service roads are feeder roads and provide access to commercial and private homes, establishments that cannot and should not be built with direct access to higher-speed roads. If I was to build my house with my garage opening onto a main highway, traffic would have to stop for me to just enter my home. This is why we have service roads. Just because everyone here uses the service road as a normal road does not take the meaning of a "feeder" road away! I know it is tempting to ride on the service road and all that but it is not there for the purpose of using as a normal road.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:59   #1277
BANNED

Quote:
Ok Rocky has probably put it the right way.

Another example where a wrong instead of being corrected has been accepted and made a norm - I meant the signal at the Nagawara Junction Service Road.

No the main signals meant for the main roads are not for Service Roads. However you might look at it.

I will tell you why?

Where do folks coming from Main Road Turn to If they want to go left at the intersection?

And how will the people coming from service roads join the main road when the signal goes green for the main road? Should the signal first stop the people who want to turn left and allow the service road vehicles to join the main road?
For Manyata, there is a signal. For Hennur, it is a 1 way, vehicles cant come to the main road from service road. For road oposite to Kammanahalli, there is a divider, all other intersections ahead have traffic lights, where there is no "Free left" turn for vehicles coming from Service or Main road.

I've prepared a diagram to explain you this. Apologies for the drawing, didn't have much time to make it, ended up something like this:-
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-road.jpg  

Old 19th February 2010, 19:10   #1278
BANNED

Quote:
Everything needs to be mentioned somewhere to be understood? Commonsense bhi koi cheez hai?

I am alarmed at this argument because I cannot fathom the understanding here.

We have a long way to go before we can be called developed or educated.

Now I will wait to be called a saint or hypocrite.
Come on, why hypocrite? you could have chose other words Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Common sense. The service roads are feeder roads and provide access to commercial and private homes, establishments that cannot and should not be built with direct access to higher-speed roads. If I was to build my house with my garage opening onto a main highway, traffic would have to stop for me to just enter my home. This is why we have service roads. Just because everyone here uses the service road as a normal road does not take the meaning of a "feeder" road away! I know it is tempting to ride on the service road and all that but it is not there for the purpose of using as a normal road.
Service roads are for highways, noone builds houses just on the highways..!

A frontage road (also called an access road, feeder, service drive, service road, outer road, and surface road, although the later term can also refer to other roadways that are not necessarily frontage roads) is a non-limited access road running parallel to a higher-speed road, usually a freeway, and feeding it at appropriate points of access (interchanges). In many cases, the frontage road is a former alignment of a road already in existence when the limited-access road was built. In other cases they may be built prior to construction of the limited-access road. In urban areas, frontage roads are frequently one-way roads when they exist on both sides of a highway. In more rural ones, such roads are typically two-way.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 19th February 2010 at 19:11.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:14   #1279
BHPian

Two iranian women abused (verbally and physically) traffic policemen last night when they were asked to produce the driving license and papers after failing the breath analyzer test.

Courtesy: Times of India
Bangalore: Drunk Iranian women assault cop-News-Videos-The Times of India

Last edited by Irish : 19th February 2010 at 19:16.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:22   #1280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Two iranian women abused (verbally and physically) traffic policemen last night when they were asked to produce the driving license and papers after failing the breath analyzer test.

Courtesy: Times of India
Bangalore: Drunk Iranian women assault cop-News-Videos-The Times of India
The news is not complete.

The lady was probably drunk, but she was angry and fighting because the jobless people over there broke her car's wind-shield, and were misbehaving with her. She was wrong on being drunk, but noone had the rights to touch her, not even the police, and that's why she was in the news.

However, the channel guys came lot later. Lots happened before that.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:34   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
The news is not complete.

The lady was probably drunk, but she was angry and fighting because the jobless people over there broke her car's wind-shield, and were misbehaving with her. She was wrong on being drunk, but noone had the rights to touch her, not even the police, and that's why she was in the news.

However, the channel guys came lot later. Lots happened before that.
Jobless people broke her car's windshield? But why?
Anyways, if the version told by you is true then what has happened to our media? Especially with such a respected news channel.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:48   #1282
Team-BHP Support

I tried this section three four times. But later realized, there HAS to be a way to beat this. That way is go through city and find out alternative. At least driving till governor's house is uneventful.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:49   #1283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Jobless people broke her car's windshield? But why?
Anyways, if the version told by you is true then what has happened to our media? Especially with such a respected news channel.
She was drunk, and did not want to pay the fine. The cop could have given her a Challan, right? She could have paid it in the court later. However, this did not happen. The cop asked for license and RC book, when the lady refused, the cop started abusing her and soon a scene was created. People without better job, started gathering and wanted to become an AVATAR saving the Cop from a lady. Aren't our cops trained enough to handle a lady or a crowd?

Soon the crowd went mad after seeing the drunk lady revolting, and throwing stones on the car. They broke the windshield and damaged the car "Alto".

Respected news channel? I remembering this news "News 9" telecasting a "Breaking news". A Pros caught in a residential place. It had such vulgar scenes, they shot the girl in undergarments and showed on TV.

Probably this is so we should stop discussing this more, before the Mods get on me.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:58   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've prepared a diagram to explain you this
Ranjan. What Spitfire is trying to say is what the pic below represents.

See the jagged MS Paint brush line from service road...

Spirfire - Are you a hosur road victim ? I know all too well about the below pic.

Just becoz 2-3 idiots want to go from Service road to mexico - READ - the other side of their world, they end up screwing everybody else... I see this daily and can only cry!!!

Old 19th February 2010, 20:07   #1285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ranjan. What Spitfire is trying to say is what the pic below represents.

See the jagged MS Paint brush line from service road...

Spirfire - Are you a hosur road victim ? I know all too well about the below pic.

Just becoz 2-3 idiots want to go from Service road to mexico - READ - the other side of their world, they end up screwing everybody else... I see this daily and can only cry!!!

Attachment 291284
Hi, your diagram needs correction.

There is no -U-turn allowed. moreover, there are traffic lights, why would all the vehicles from all direction move at the same time? the 2-3 idiots you are referring to are either breaking signals, or they are not Idiots..!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 19th February 2010, 21:42   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Service roads are for highways, noone builds houses just on the highways..!

A frontage road (also called an access road, feeder, service drive, service road, outer road, and surface road, although the later term can also refer to other roadways that are not necessarily frontage roads) is a non-limited access road running parallel to a higher-speed road, usually a freeway
Thanks for taking it off Wikipedia .

But seriously that article is written from the viewpoint of Western roads. We here in India have service roads within the city and in many large roads. In Banglaore, these are not highways. So the service road is there to serve a purpose - to "service" the main road! So how can regular traffic be allowed to run on these service roads? And moreover, just because the main road is blocked, traffic cannot be allowed to move to the service roads.
Old 19th February 2010, 22:10   #1287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks for taking it off Wikipedia .

But seriously that article is written from the viewpoint of Western roads. We here in India have service roads within the city and in many large roads. In Banglaore, these are not highways. So the service road is there to serve a purpose - to "service" the main road! So how can regular traffic be allowed to run on these service roads? And moreover, just because the main road is blocked, traffic cannot be allowed to move to the service roads.
Of course that is from Wiki.

Yeah, you want people to have a mentality like those in UK and US, but when it comes to the meaning, reaction is "But seriously that article is written from the viewpoint of Western roads"

Anyways, this debate can go on and on and on.... would request you to go to the OOR once, and check out the roads over there. Bangalore Traffic police/Infrastructure is not that bad as people project.

I know the saints don't, but still try taking the service road over there ONCE, and then you will realise how the service roads are structured so that people WONT come on the main road using service road.

I will try to get pictures or Videos of a junction there then probably people will accept that vehicles on the service roads are not the one who want to use it as a short-cut.
Old 20th February 2010, 08:53   #1288
Senior - BHPian

wow almost two pages of discussion on service roads. the main issue brought out is - what it was meant to be used for and what it is used for are different and hence the TJs when traffic from these service roads try to get back on the main road.

However, nobody commented on the other (more easy to implement) solution of limited rt turn time.
Old 20th February 2010, 11:48   #1289
BHPian

Service roads are always a nuisance if they meet the main roads at any signal junctions. Those MORONS failed to realize that now the intersection has 8 roads joining at the junction whereas the signal is meant ONLY for 4 roads. There are no specific signals for service road users. The road designers are absolutely stupid. They don't think. They don't drive. They don't even use the roads they design. Even if they use it, his pea-brain would fail to notice any issue.
Intel juntion on ORR used to be one such idiotic junction. Don't know if its still the same.
Service ROADS are NOT for bypassing the traffic and get ahead of others. If you're doing it, you're one of the reasons for the bottlenecks.

-- Torqy
Old 20th February 2010, 14:53   #1290
BHPian

Found this on Youtube.
For all those IDIOTS who can't stick to a lane, this is a good tutorial.

-- Torqy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks