Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:29   #13171
BHPian

Horrible traffic on Harlur road - Parapana agrahara road. Stuck for almost 45 minutes now. Moved hardly 500 meters.
Old 23rd November 2016, 09:33   #13172
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Today first time I saw a traffic police standing at the exit of Agara flyover towards Iblur.
The cop has been there for the past few months, or even a year. there are a few days that he is not there. A stark reminder of bad/ zero planning when it comes to flyovers and underpasses.
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:44   #13173
Senior - BHPian

Saw a funny incident today. Now there is this junction on Whitefield Main Rd. and there is always a queue of vehicle waiting in the smaller road to join the main road. Today I too was part of this queue, and had around 4 vehicles in front of me. The leader of the queue was a Yellow cab who wanted to take a right turn, and had put on his indicator well in advance. Suddenly I find a Mahindra SUV type vehicle just overtaking all the three vehicles (including me) and standing slightly behind the first cab.

A BMTC bus was on the main road blocking the entry of vehicles from the smaller road. Soon the BMTC bus moved off. The Mahindra SUV driver thought that the route is clear. But the cabbie moved forward in a slow fashion to turn to the right. The SUV was stuck . All the other vehicles behind the cab could now easily move forward and take left turns. When my turn came, I wanted to know who was the idiot driving the SUV. To my surprise it was a woman; a cooling glass & ear phones on both ears. The expression on her face was just priceless!! . But it is these kind of morons who make even other people lose hope in being a patient driver.

Last edited by sachinpk : 23rd November 2016 at 10:45.
sachinpk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:11   #13174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Saw a funny incident today.

But it is these kind of morons who make even other people lose hope in being a patient driver.
Our roads are so full of such dimwits buddy and I have had to promise my wife that I will not loose my cool

Instances such as overtaking from the left with a bus ahead and then cutting into my lane without even a signal is something I have started expecting, and more importantly IGNORING!!

What really ticks me is when a jackass does that and then starts honking relentlessly, expecting mine/other vehicles to vanish at the press of a button (horn)

OT - How I wish there was a hidden mechanism of a 220 volt Jolt to the people who would press and hold the horn button for more than 3 seconds.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 23rd November 2016 at 11:12.
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:22   #13175
BHPian

This is a rant towards BTP where they sometimes spoil what is working efficiently. For past few weeks, the morning traffic from on ITPL road (via Phoenix) to Garudacharpalya Junction was relatively OK. Starting this week, it has redeemed its past glory. Today morning around 8.30-10.00 am, it was at its peak. A policeman was holding the traffic coming from Phoenix side at the Decathalon T-junction for considerably longer period of time and releasing the traffic from Brigade metropolis side (towards KR Puram). There was a pileup till HP due to this madness.

Last edited by adi_gt : 23rd November 2016 at 11:25.
Old 23rd November 2016, 18:12   #13176
BHPian

BMTC bus breakdown on bellandur central flyover left lane towards silkboard
Old 23rd November 2016, 20:34   #13177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
BMTC bus breakdown on bellandur central flyover left lane towards silkboard
Yes. The traffic had backed up till Marthahalli. 😌
Old 24th November 2016, 09:30   #13178
Distinguished - BHPian

Maratahalli market and Bridge are probably the biggest choke points for anyone travelling to ITPL on a daily basis. Wonder what BBMP/BTP is planning to ease out the mess here as it could easily make a difference on 30-45 for anyone travelling via this route.

All of this week I have been experimenting with public transport and I must say that its a lot lot easier than driving 60 kms a day. What used to take me 2.5hrs to drive to work and back now takes me 3 hrs to 3.15 min via public transport. The biggest gain is time I get to myself. I can read, listen to music or even think through some work related problems and I seem to be in a much more positive frame of mind as compared to when I was driving to work.

Metro is the biggest saving grace! I take the metro to Mantri mall & then the feeder bus to majestic and then 335E on my way to work. On the way back, Ola share comes to the rescue! Reach Baiyappanahalli metro and then its a breeze to Majestic - hop onto the feeder to Mantri and I'm back in Yeshwantpur. Baiyappanahalli to Yeshwantpur takes me 1 hour and that is because of the feeder bus change in between which eats up 20-25 minutes. Once Mantri is connected to Majestic, its gonna be a lot lot faster.

BMRCL needs to get its act together and connect whitefield quickly. That will make an immense difference to traffic all across the city!

Last edited by procrj : 24th November 2016 at 09:32.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 10:09   #13179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Maratahalli market and Bridge are probably the biggest choke points for anyone travelling to ITPL on a daily basis. Wonder what BBMP/BTP is planning to ease out the mess here as it could easily make a difference on 30-45 for anyone travelling via this route.
The compound wall that your see after Marathahalli Market towards the bridge, that property belongs to HAL. BBMP and BMTC have been begging for this piece of land for more than 15 years, but in vain! BMTC had proposed a bus hub there. HAL is simply not giving and even not using this property and has become a dumping yard. There is a small temple just opposite to Marathahalli market, that used to be a very small makeshift temple, that has grown now. You know what problem would be if you try meddling it now. There has been reports on reports stating that this road would be widened, but God know when. If you notice most of the new buildings that have come up in last two years are atleast 30~50 feet inside from the main road.

Its is more of BBMP waking up and take that decision. But we all know what is at store for now! Until then have a peaceful journey in the bus. You will also get lot of time to sleep
Old 24th November 2016, 12:44   #13180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
temple just opposite to Marathahalli market, that used to be a very small makeshift temple, that has grown now. You know what problem would be if you try meddling it now.
True. Infact with two temples on either side of the road and with scores of smaller shops near to that I dont have any hope of this road getting widened.

In this route, I guess we can expect road near Shankara Netralaya - Kundanahalli junction side, where there was a proposal to widen the left lane while traveling towards ITPL. This will help in decreasing the traffic pileup when the signal is red.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 18:08   #13181
BHPian

Have been in Bangalore since 20years and there's one thing that keeps increasing: the number of people who drive alone in a car. Seriously? Do they not have the slightest guilt? Pollution, traffic, etc. Travelling alone in ac, sometimes in a 7-seater. Well, we do have to do our bit as citizens. There was an ngo giving away "shame-on-you" cards to such people when they were at signals.
Well, that's pretty offending, but still. We have to do our bit to save the city..
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 22:39   #13182
Distinguished - BHPian

Please take note:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20161124wa0080.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20161124wa0079.jpg

(Received via WhatsApp)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 23:15   #13183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Have been in Bangalore since 20years and there's one thing that keeps increasing: the number of people who drive alone in a car. Seriously? Do they not have the slightest guilt? Pollution, traffic, etc. Travelling alone in ac, sometimes in a 7-seater. Well, we do have to do our bit as citizens. There was an ngo giving away "shame-on-you" cards to such people when they were at signals.
Well, that's pretty offending, but still. We have to do our bit to save the city..
Here is my situation if I would like to use public transport to work:
  • Need to walk 1.2 km from home to bus stop and half of the road is dusty, no proper footpath, not to mention about pollution. Good number of riders/drivers don't care for pedestrians (I don’t want to encourage autos who don’t run on meters and not a great fan of riding two wheeler)
  • BMTC Volvo bus fare for a distance of 8 km is more than what I spend on fuel in my car and seat availability is an issue during peak hours. Government run organizations main aim should not be to earn revenue only, but greater public good.
  • Above all, while returning home, I will have to risk my life to cross the Outer Ring Road to catch a bus on the other side of the road.

I paid 15% value of my car as Road Tax to the Government. Should not they use portion of that money to improve infrastructure? For me, personal safety and health is important and if public transport can offer that, I would be more than happy to use public transport.

Last edited by airbus : 24th November 2016 at 23:21. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 00:02   #13184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Here is my situation if I would like to use public transport to work:
  • Need to walk 1.2 km from home to bus stop and half of the road is dusty, no proper footpath, not to mention about pollution. Good number of riders/drivers don't care for pedestrians (I don't want to encourage autos who don't run on meters and not a great fan of riding two wheeler)
  • BMTC Volvo bus fare for a distance of 8 km is more than what I spend on fuel in my car and seat availability is an issue during peak hours. Government run organizations main aim should not be to earn revenue only, but greater public good.
  • Above all, while returning home, I will have to risk my life to cross the Outer Ring Road to catch a bus on the other side of the road.

I paid 15% value of my car as Road Tax to the Government. Should not they use portion of that money to improve infrastructure? For me, personal safety and health is important and if public transport can offer that, I would be more than happy to use public transport.
A very valid point. And those were the very answers that people received after they questioned.
People can take 2-wheelers. But still, its a question of increased risk and health issues due to smoke.
All these points justify using cars. But problem is, people just blame the government and continue doing what they do. They dont take trouble in finding colleagues who go by the same route and pool resources.

We all know how the government is. That doesn't mean we keep going at it! After all, look at your kids and think of the future that you're going to give them!

For my part, i make sure that people from my office who have difficulties in accessing public transport and riding 2-wheelers, find atleast one partner to travel with! Its about time the rants turn into actions!
But yes, not everyone's situation is the same and i truly understand their situation... Hope our public transport becomes more reachable than it is now!
Old 25th November 2016, 04:24   #13185
BHPian

Are tolls being collected in Nice ring road?

Most Viewed