Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2016, 20:33   #13216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
It is sad that he skid, but it is actually quite hilarious. He panicked way more than necessary.
He basically used the front brakes at low speed while turning and bike actually came to standstill but his body moved ahead due to moementum.How do I know this ?.Experience teach you lot of lessons.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 21:33   #13217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hey Balenoed,
It's absolutely not your fault. Like many BHPians suggested, you have to stop at the intersection. Good defensive driving.

I would also blame the Tempo traveller for parking at the corner like an idiot. It obstructs the field of view for you and the biker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I have thought about these things too. But if you look at the laws, all it says is given the width of the road and the zone, your built up area can be so much.
Hey srishiva,
We have a FSI (floor space index) which defines how much we can build over a plot of land- taking into account all factors such as road width, the amount of resources etc. That is also being violated by paying bribes to BDA authorities. Hence, some constructions are deemed illegal.

The government should have divided the city into zones (in the 90's before expansion) and defined an FSI for each zone. We could have grown to a bigger city rather than a congested one we have now.
Old 1st December 2016, 22:20   #13218
BHPian

Ian Fleming — 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action'

Today I got hit by a yellow board cab on my right rear door. His paint smeared over my door, but no damage.

I stopped and asked him why he hit me. He claimed I drifted into his 'lane'. He demanded payment for the 'damage'. I told him to follow me to the police station.

Halfway, he disappeared.

This is the third time it has happened. Looks like a new scam to extort cash from private car owners.

PS I blocked one driver in a narrow street and took his key while my son called a police man from the intersection. He made the driver pay me 500 bucks. Not enough for the damage I suffered, but a great moral victory!
proton is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:30   #13219
BHPian

The stretch from PES college (near Nayandahalli junction) to Kanakapura Road junction has various construction work on-going.
1. Flyover construction near Devagowda Petrol Bunk junction (Although in full swing now, it is going on for ages)
2. Flyover construction near Hosakerehalli Petrol Bunk junction (Still can't understand why this is required)
3. Road dug for the route via Hosakerehalli Petrol Bunk junction, Hoskerehalli junction, Kathriguppe junction
4. Road dug for the route via Kamakya theatre, Devagowda Petrol Bunk junction, Geological Survey of India, Kanakapura Road junction
I am not sure about the purpose of digging the roads in this stretch but one thing is for sure - This road can no longer be termed as Outer Ring Road. Even before these works started, this stretch had heavy traffic movement. Now it is worst and after completion of these works, the traffic will no way reduce in this route. One more feather in the cap to BBMP guys for demonstrating how not to plan.
vijayvelprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:43   #13220
Senior - BHPian

^^
I suffer everyday. I do take an alternate route via Jayanagar, even though it's 2 km longer.

I do know an parallel route which can be done easily with a two wheeler. (Only from PES to Kanakapura road signal)
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:56   #13221
Distinguished - BHPian

Starting midnight of this day, toll plazas governed by NHAI will start collecting toll after a gap of almost 4 weeks.

The shortage of cash, especially 500 and 100 post demonitization has ensured that alternate "arrangements" are made. One of them is to pay by your Credit or Debit card.

The BETL Booth in EC Phase 1 was all decked up to hint motorists on this set-up.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20161202073824.png

Notice the flex sign with VISA/Mastercard logos to tell motorists that this booth will accept cards for payments.

TGIF or else I would have been part of the chaos if this had to start today.

Planning to finally settle for FastTag over the weekend as I am sure swiping card and the arguments will certainly not be the most efficient way to manage the horrendous queues at the toll booths and with BETL, we know its chaos guaranteed even without a reason - Thanks to the erring & educated populace that drives here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd December 2016 at 08:00.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:06   #13222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Today I got hit by a yellow board cab on my right rear door. His paint smeared over my door, but no damage.

I stopped and asked him why he hit me. He claimed I drifted into his 'lane'. He demanded payment for the 'damage'. I told him to follow me to the police station.
My brief training in self-defence apart, I also carry pepper-spray with me nowadays. The situation is at the absolute pits of hell with the demon-itisation and people are like mindless zombies after money again, if someone wants to extort money from me I want to make sure I do damage such that they never, in even a small corner of their depraved minds, think of committing such a crime again.

Its a great time to be a misanthrope, I'm loving it.
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:35   #13223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hey Balenoed,
It's absolutely not your fault. Like many BHPians suggested, you have to stop at the intersection. Good defensive driving.

I would also blame the Tempo traveller for parking at the corner like an idiot. It obstructs the field of view for you and the biker.

Hey srishiva,
We have a FSI (floor space index) which defines how much we can build over a plot of land- taking into account all factors such as road width, the amount of resources etc. That is also being violated by paying bribes to BDA authorities. Hence, some constructions are deemed illegal.

The government should have divided the city into zones (in the 90's before expansion) and defined an FSI for each zone. We could have grown to a bigger city rather than a congested one we have now.
Built up area means the same. I was answering to why they cant stop people from building. Even if everyone adheres to the FSI, we will have too much traffic. Traffic to other parts of the city also go through ORR. Its not just problem with buildings.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:04   #13224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I was answering to why they cant stop people from building.
They can, actually. The framework to do that is called Zoning laws. These are quite popular in the western world, but not so much in India (though pretty much all the urban development authorities have something or other to say in this matter).

I do recall some activity in Koramangala, where residents of a residential zone successfully challenged and stopped commercial development. Need to look up the details.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:29   #13225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
They can, actually. The framework to do that is called Zoning laws. These are quite popular in the western world, but not so much in India (though pretty much all the urban development authorities have something or other to say in this matter).

I do recall some activity in Koramangala, where residents of a residential zone successfully challenged and stopped commercial development. Need to look up the details.
The whole ORR is commercial zone already ! The problem is that roads need to cater to businesses on that road plus an enormous amount of traffic taking that road to other places. Dont think western frameworks can help here.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:16   #13226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
The stretch from PES college (near Nayandahalli junction) to Kanakapura Road junction has various construction work on-going.
You are right. Eventually the fly-over work will start at Janatha Bazaar junction and Food world Junction as well. The apparent project and plan is to make a signal-free corridor from Nayandahalli to Silk board. ORR will be a mess for next few months for sure.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:30   #13227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Starting midnight of this day, toll plazas governed by NHAI will start collecting toll after a gap of almost 4 weeks.

The shortage of cash, especially 500 and 100 post demonitization has ensured that alternate "arrangements" are made. One of them is to pay by your Credit or Debit card.
Madness will prevail. And it will take much longer to pay by cc or debit card. But hey, it is all for the greater good of mankind on the planet.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:33   #13228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
You are right. Eventually the fly-over work will start at Janatha Bazaar junction and Food world Junction as well. The apparent project and plan is to make a signal-free corridor from Nayandahalli to Silk board. ORR will be a mess for next few months for sure.
This is going to be a HUGE problem at the Kadirenahalli underpass. The underpass ends just before the at-grade junction with the road leading into Kumaraswamy Layout. And this at-grade junction is very messy, what with bits of the Uttarahalli main road leading to Banashankari bus stand also joining. If I remember correctly, the underpass took a good 10+ years to complete.
So are they going to extend the underpass beyond the junction with Kumaraswamy Layout 50' main road? And could they not have done this 10 years back?

And then there is Sarakki junction (with Kanakapura Road) - no space for a flyover because of the Metro.

The entire ORR stretch through Banashankari 3rd Stage goes over hillocks. The Hosakerehalli signal is at the top of one such hillock. Expect an underpass here - a flyover on the ORR will be super steep.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 2nd December 2016 at 14:34.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:44   #13229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
The apparent project and plan is to make a signal-free corridor from Nayandahalli to Silk board. ORR will be a mess for next few months for sure.
Yes. But what is the plan for completing this corridor? I know it is not correct to ask this to BBMP. Hope it does not take years.

It would have made sense if a flyover or underpass was planned in DG circle rather than a flyover in Hoskerehalli Petrol Bunk junction. It would have diverted the traffic entering into NICE link road.
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:52   #13230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
Yes. But what is the plan for completing this corridor? I know it is not correct to ask this to BBMP. Hope it does not take years.

It would have made sense if a flyover or underpass was planned in DG circle rather than a flyover in Hoskerehalli Petrol Bunk junction. It would have diverted the traffic entering into NICE link road.
I vaguely remember the close date for this project as March 2017 on a board, put by BBMP on the project details. It seems the deadline will stay only on the "board" because it looks practically impossible now though to meet the deadline.

True. Completely agree on the DG circle part. It's always a chaotic situation there owing to the disorganized traffic management. A BMTC bus stop just before the turn to NICE is to be blamed partially. NICE, when they built the flyover there, could have considered bringing this junction under it though. God bless us.

Most Viewed