Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2016, 08:57   #13306
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Suit your routing to match the time or suit your time to match the routing. I would like to go with the latter if situation permits! An early morning start will help. But in this case Friday also I expect traffic; not in the city but at the toll gates. 4AM is a good time though.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:35   #13307
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota and World Resources Institute explore improved connectivity to Bangalore Metro.

Quote:
Toyota Mobility Foundation (TMF) has entered into an agreement with World Resources Institute (WRI) to seek possible solutions in first- and last-mile connectivity to metro transit in Bangalore.

Bangalore, with a population of around 12 million people, has experienced rapid urban growth and development in part due to its status as the IT capital of India. This surge has powered the economy, but has also resulted in issues of congestion and limited access to mobility. To overcome these, the city has invested in a metro line within the city and currently aims to enhance its ridership.

TMF and WRI say they want to improve accessibility to metro transit in Bangalore and increase its usage through a process of research, capacity building, open collaboration, and testing. This would provide more local citizens better ease of movement throughout the city.
Quote:
In the first year of the project, TMF and WRI will build a stakeholder network and invite them to identify practical and feasible solutions to first- and last-mile connectivity issues. They will propose these ideas through an open innovation challenge. TMF and WRI will support winning solutions and aim at scaling them in Bangalore and other cities. After evaluating the results of the project, TMF will determine the scope of future activities in India.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd December 2016 at 10:37.
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:05   #13308
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to everyone - we will be (hopefully) leaving by 4 a.m. I also have FASTag on my vehicle and hope to reap the benefits, unless they allow non-tagged cars into FASTag lanes which they are highly likely to do to ease the queues.

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd December 2016 at 15:12. Reason: Typo
Old 24th December 2016, 00:04   #13309
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this in Hindu newspaper today.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_20161224_000327.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 15:12   #13310
Distinguished - BHPian

Those planning airport trips and new year party, do note the news below -

Quote:
While Airport taxi drivers complain that the cab-aggregators are indulging in predatory pricing, their own drivers are unhappy at the dwindling incentives, and are threatening a strike on December 31.
Link
Old 25th December 2016, 18:39   #13311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My dad said he noticed work almost complete
Drove on the flyover today. It's open from the Hebbal side and there is still work going on the tumkur road side. Hence if you need to get from hebbal - tumkur road, just take the flyover on ORR
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 08:59   #13312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Those planning airport trips and new year party, do note the news below -

Link
“The drivers have planned it strategically. On New Year’s Eve, many people go out for parties and also a lot of short distance rides are booked out of which they earn Rs 50-80. This is not profitable. Also, sometimes, some customers may end up vomiting. In city taxis, they will have to pay a penalty but it is not so for Ola and Uber. Whatever may be the reason, they have planned the strike on a strategic day,” he added.

I Feel pity on the cab drivers who have drunk customers. If all of the drivers go on strike then we may see many drunk and driving cases on New year eve.
Old 27th December 2016, 10:38   #13313
Senior - BHPian

MNC firm's 'touch-not' attitude leaves 85 defective BMTC buses idle

Another senior BMTC official said, “Volvo’s technical staff refuse to even touch the buses, stating that the high-tech engines have been tampered with by the BMTC maintenance staff who are careless about even changing engine oils, that according to the Volvo technicians are substandard and cause glitches.”
Ekroop Caur, Managing Director, BMTC, is in touch with the global head of Volvo to address the issue. “A particular lot of around 300 Volvo buses has one defect or the other, and mostly, because they are becoming older. I am in touch with Hakan Agnevall, the global head of Volvo, and have asked him to take up servicing and maintenance of buses as a drive and resolve the issues on priority basis. In principle, they have agreed to do it free of cost,” she said.

Hope BMTC does not make Volvo pay for repairing their buses, considering it to be some prestigious work (of BMTC being magnanimous to take help of Volvo).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 11:17   #13314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
MNC firm's 'touch-not' attitude leaves 85 defective BMTC buses idle

Another senior BMTC official said, “Volvo’s technical staff refuse to even touch the buses, stating that the high-tech engines have been tampered with by the BMTC maintenance staff who are careless about even changing engine oils, that according to the Volvo technicians are substandard and cause glitches.”
Volvo has a valid point here. Its plain stupidity of BMTC to first screw up the buses with all sorts of Jugaads and then expect Volvo to set things right. I havent seen a single Volvo bus till date that is technically fine and all systems working. Even the drivers blame poor maintenance by the BMTC workshops and carelessness in fixing issues at a infant level.

If BMTC are really looking at long term usage and reliability, I feel its best to let the complete maintenance to be handled by Volvo and then make them responsible for anything that goes wrong instead of trying to cut costs at a penny level and then be pound foolish. Now they want to scrap old buses and buy new ones which will again be good for a few years only. After that, back to square one. The workers in the BMTC workshop cant fix a mirror correctly, and how can they even touch the engine and electricals?
Old 27th December 2016, 12:11   #13315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If BMTC are really looking at long term usage and reliability, I feel its best to let the complete maintenance to be handled by Volvo and then make them responsible for anything that goes wrong instead of trying to cut costs at a penny level and then be pound foolish.
Or else, BMTC should ensure that their mechanic folks have been adequately trained to handle repairs on Volvo buses. We must also understand that BMTC would have a work force of mechanics, who cannot be kicked out.

Kerala SRTC also is facing this issue for quite a long time. Many of the low floor Volvo buses (given to them under the JNURRM scheme) is now having technical problems. KSRTC maintenance crew are not trained to handle such repairs. But worse is that they also do not have any attitude to learn & upgrade their skill sets. One reason why Ke.SRTC comes up with the same body structure is because the staff at their work shops only know that design. But people would slowly start asking for more comfortable travel, and sooner of later more ergonomic body designs have to be introduced.
Old 27th December 2016, 12:40   #13316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
[url=http://www.deccanherald.com/content/588514/mnc-firms-touch-not-attitude.html] MNC firm's 'touch-not' attitude leaves 85 defective BMTC buses idle
[/i]
Hope BMTC does not make Volvo pay for repairing their buses, considering it to be some prestigious work (of BMTC being magnanimous to take help of Volvo).
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/566015/hi-tech-buses-low-tech.html

It was a problem that was reported earlier too !

I see them broken down quite regularly. How many of us run our cars if there is a sensor indicating some malfunction ? BMTC needs to take the blame also since they have a dont care attitude for issues and keep the buses running.
Old 27th December 2016, 12:54   #13317
BHPian

I remember once when I was coming down from Ooty to Mysore in an Airavat at 12 AM.
The driver was not happy with his lights. Either one bulb wasn't working or was not bright enough or something. This was near Gudalur.
So he decides to fiddle with the fuse box of the Volvo. So here I sit, thinking maybe he know what he's doing. He did something and then started the bus. The bus refused to start. No battery issues etc, just that the bus didn't allow the starter motor to kick in. Awful silence, and nothing more.
Eventually they had to get a spare Volvo from Ooty, which took another 2 hours to get to where we were.

Moral of the story, do not let anyone touch the innards of a Volvo. It's not a normal 'gaadi' type bus.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 10:36   #13318
BHPian

Another accident at the same spot. The start of the agara flyover towards silk board. Traffic was slowed mainly due to onlookers but no major jam due to fewer vehicles on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1482901393258.jpg  

bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 09:56   #13319
BHPian

Anyone has any information about this? I got it from Reddit, and has happened on 29th December. This looks like it's right at the entrance to the Iblur service road.
Old 30th December 2016, 10:31   #13320
BHPian

Was it an Accident? Anybody hurt?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks