Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2017, 21:32   #13396
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Silkboard metro plan related news article.
Link

Going by current status, not sure how long it's going to materialize.
Old 12th January 2017, 21:41   #13397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Silkboard metro plan related news article.
Link

Going by current status, not sure how long it's going to materialize.
The article starts, "If all goes as per BMRCL's plan...". How many instances of things working out as per BMRCL's published plan do we know?

Having said that, I don't see a ramp for traffic from Bommanahalli to Agara. This will intersect the traffic from Agara to Madiwala (like it is right now) under the stacked interchange, with traffic lights?
Old 13th January 2017, 07:03   #13398
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The only way out is if the Big Companies all move out of Bangalore into the hinterland.
Then the suburbs will fill up with people and ease the city a bit.
Sadly, they will have to battle the lack of infra in those suburbs until our dear darling Government sees fit to build the necessary infrastructure to welcome them!

All this stuff about attracting investments into Karnataka is balderdash, first they need to create the infra and then go about marketing it - or at least, start the process and begin the building activity and then showcase it to prospective companies to attract them.

We are a doomed lot, if we are going to continue like this!

Car sales are down by some 16% on account of demonetization the paper says - in a way this is a blessing in disguise because the existing infra is already badly overloaded and a little respite from adding new cars, is absolutely necessary right now!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 08:29   #13399
Team-BHP Support

Let's not forget we're talking about a civic administration that fixes roads overnight before an event, preferably only on the side the dignitaries will use, and not for public convenience.

Fat chance any of those grandiose plans are going to see the light of day as-is.

Less spoken about BMRCL's competence, the better.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 18:23   #13400
Distinguished - BHPian

When you rant about incomplete ROB work and then when it all gets functional, you shift the jam to the next signal, as expected:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-whatsapp-image-20170113-6.01.48-pm.jpeg

This one is from the Goreguntepalya Junction (Taj Vivanta) on Tumkur Road soon after you ascend from the newly opened ROB over the railway tracks.

Quite interestingly:
  • Walking is the fastest
  • Taking a U-Turn and heading back through a longer route will save you 5 mins
  • Waiting at this signal (multiple times) will make you cross this in 21 mins

Welcome to the mess where you create flyovers only to shift the jam to the next signal. We have seen enough of such snarls in these years anyway
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 19:03   #13401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
When you rant about incomplete ROB work and then when it all gets functional, you shift the jam to the next signal, as expected:
The paradox is that the HMT route is seeing much less traffic now and is a better option if you are heading towards ORR/ Tumkur road.
In the morning when I cross this stretch at around 8 AM, the pile up is very minimal. I typically cross in 2-3 minutes with maximum one cycle of waiting. The signal is usually set for 30 seconds on green and 60 seconds on red that time.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 19:10   #13402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The paradox is that the HMT route is seeing much less traffic now and is a better option if you are heading towards ORR/ Tumkur road.
In the morning when I cross this stretch at around 8 AM, the pile up is very minimal. I typically cross in 2-3 minutes with maximum one cycle of waiting. The signal is usually set for 30 seconds on green and 60 seconds on red that time.
Totally agree. On a normal weekday for my office commute, I have never taken the ORR after the ROB opened.

This was just a curious check as usual and today I am working from home.

This week, I used the HMT road even for my onward commute around 0730am and the Junction at Jalahalli was so easy without any cops' presence and no heavy vehicles.

In the evening as well, when I enter HMT, the oncoming traffic is minimal too and overtaking chances have now multiplied.
Old 13th January 2017, 20:33   #13403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
One option is to park your car at SV Road metro station and board the metro there.
This is an option. However, after crossing 3 painful signals (big bazaar, suranjandas road, 80ft road) I see no point in using the metro unless I need to go to Mysore road.

The way they are extending the distance to be travelled, I think they might eventually keep only the Pai Layout roundabout open and ask everyone to travel till there,
Old 16th January 2017, 06:37   #13404
Senior - BHPian

Folks: Traffic Alert

Near Mantri Sarovar turning on the ORR, a Ritz cab has crashed on to the divider I guess. Saw the vehicle being towed. Hopefully the mess is cleared before traffic piles up.
Old 16th January 2017, 10:02   #13405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks: Traffic Alert

Near Mantri Sarovar turning on the ORR, a Ritz cab has crashed on to the divider I guess. Saw the vehicle being towed. Hopefully the mess is cleared before traffic piles up.
One of my friends who passed this junction at 6:45AM told me now that there was nothing. So looks like it's cleared before the peak time
Old 16th January 2017, 10:22   #13406
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
However, after crossing 3 painful signals (big bazaar, suranjandas road, 80ft road) I see no point in using the metro unless I need to go to Mysore road.
Yes, reaching Byappanahalli metro station entrance on old Madras road is painful when coming from KR Puram side. I think the better option is to take the ORR ramp, get into Kasturi Nagar and park on the railway station side and then use the metro entrance there.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 20:39   #13407
Senior - BHPian

WhatsApp is abuzz with a wall collapse near Mantri Mall... Anyone knows what happened and the severity?
Old 16th January 2017, 20:54   #13408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
WhatsApp is abuzz with a wall collapse near Mantri Mall... Anyone knows what happened and the severity?
This news link has some details. Looks like a portion of the parapet collapsed injuring 2. The main mall wall was also close to collapsing as per the report.

BBMP has withdrawn occupancy certificate.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...collapse-55808
Old 16th January 2017, 21:10   #13409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
BBMP has withdrawn occupancy certificate.......
I won't be surprised if they're up and running soon with a patch-up job on the damaged area. The news report claims the mall was issued a notice for fire safety concerns in a 2016 inspection, wondering why OC was not suspended/withdrawn then? Waiting for something to happen before taking action?
Old 17th January 2017, 10:11   #13410
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Source

Quote:
In an attempt to curb the robberies and accidents on national and state highways, the state government unveiled 100 highway patrolling vehicles in the city on Monday.

Most Viewed