Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2017, 11:59   #13456
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Noticed couple days ago that the traffic island/median is being redesigned at the Residency Road-Commissariat road junction.
So when coming from brigade road junction, after the fire station on right there is a fork that leads to commissariat road. Essentially this was for BMTC buses earlier but other vehicles also used it. There ws also a right turn to commissariat road just a bit ahead and the merge point was a downward slope and downright dangerous with speeding vehicles. I noticed that this right turn is being cut off by extending the traffic island so one wil have to now go via that bus stop.
This was done last week itself and the right turn is not possible only through the bus stop. Quite a bad idea to do that since it will lead to buses stopped all over the place and people trying to make way in between this. I pass this stretch in the early morning where I dont see much of an issue, but I bet later in the day it will cause problems.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 12:13   #13457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A practical problem is that, the line towards the airport is also heavily used by the Railways to run long distance trains (to Pune or Hyderabad side??). It is still single line, so crossing etc. would be there. With these limitations the railways may not be able to run very many number of local trains to the airport side. Compare this with say London Paddington to Heathrow etc. - there are around 4-6 tracks and lot more trains can be run at very short intervals.
That would be only till Yelahanka after which the Devanhalli line cuts off to Chikkabalapur which sees just 3 trains per day.
Traffic is not an issue as yet on the rail lines. They have introduced multiple EMU's on the Whitefield to Bangalore city route which sees more rail traffic.

They can easily introduce trains specific for airport travellers. Just like how Volvo low floor buses were introduced to the airport, they can customise a DMU to fully air conditioned with luggage racks to make it user friendly. Does not matter if they charge it a bit higher just for this run too.
Next they have to introduce a shuttle between the nearest station to the terminal.
Of course, the Government will only look at the more expensive option and not the existing option available. The railway track was always there, the airport came later.
Old 24th January 2017, 13:10   #13458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Few options in the area.
  • Petrol Bunk opposite Kaikondrahalli Lake on Sarjapur Road. (Typically always open during regular hours)
  • Petrol bunk after Agara Flyover on ORR.
  • Petrol Bunk next to Salarpuria Softzone on the Belandur-Iblur Stretch (Not very sure if this one is still open. Have not gone there in some time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The HP pump in Marathahalli next to the burnt-out Brand Factory building has a PUC kiosk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
The HP pump near Brookfield mall (Old Cosmos mall) in AECS layout has the emission test facility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There is also an emission centre right next to the Indian Oil Bunk on Outer Ring Road near Mantri Sarovar near Agara Lake. But I hate them because they put a brick on the accelerator pedal and accelerate the engine to an unnecessarily high level according to me. I don't like taking my Yeti there because of this.
Im wondering if I should at all take my Gypsy there now...
Thanks all. I got my EC from Divya Emission center @ HP bunk, ex-Brand factory Marathalli. Time taken : 5 minutes. Charge : ₹90/-.
Old 24th January 2017, 13:17   #13459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
BIAL to setup a train halt to facilitate Airport travel. A good move if trains start from KSR or Yeshwantpur as metro connectivity to these stations already exist.
Quote:
The line that goes near the airport (the airport interchange includes an overpass to this line) is the Yelahanka-Chikballapur-Kolar-Bangarapet line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That would be only till Yelahanka after which the Devanhalli line cuts off to Chikkabalapur which sees just 3 trains per day.
Traffic is not an issue as yet on the rail lines. They have introduced multiple EMU's on the Whitefield to Bangalore city route which sees more rail traffic.

They can easily introduce trains specific for airport travellers.
Next they have to introduce a shuttle between the nearest station to the terminal.
I went and looked up Google Maps (screen shot attached). The railway line runs right next to the edge of BIAL property. Which will make a dedicated railway station quite close - but not quite close enough - to the terminal building. Dedicated shuttle service from the terminal building to the station will be needed.

Overall, an excellent idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-blr_railway.jpg  

Old 24th January 2017, 14:33   #13460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think running trains between Yelahanka-Devanahalli at least should be a problem for the railways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The railway line runs right next to the edge of BIAL property. Which will make a dedicated railway station quite close - but not quite close enough - to the terminal building.
What worried me a bit is the availability of platforms at the major stations (SBC, YPR, KJM & YNK). These are the bigger railway stations to which there are lots other modes to reach (buses, and metro to the first two Railway Junctions), so passengers may prefer boarding the Airport shuttle train from here. I don't know how many "slots" are available in these stations to start new train services, and at what timings. The airport has 24/7 operations, but don't know if the railways have a provision to run shuttle services 24/7. In other countries what I have observed is that, they have dedicated platforms for starting/terminating airport shuttles, or else their main line train traffic is very limited.
Old 24th January 2017, 14:40   #13461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What worried me a bit is the availability of platforms at the major stations (SBC, YPR, KJM & YNK). These are the bigger railway stations to which there are lots other modes to reach (buses, and metro to the first two Railway Junctions),
There shouldnt be an issue with platform availablity IMO. The railways have to improve their process to make better use of platforms. Right now, the rake will be shunted sometime prior to departure, maybe an hour or half. Then the loco will be shunted to the platform, and after sometime attached to the rake after which it leaves. If they cut this down to around 15 minutes boarding time and platform occupancy, it can free the platform for more time. At least short distance or passenger trains should have lesser boarding times compared to express or long distance trains.

Many a times the passenger train rakes are left on the platform for a long time, hours together. If they can shunt this out or do better rake sharing, they can use such platforms for local trains. Sadly, the lifestyle and process in the railway station is pretty laid back and relaxed.
Old 24th January 2017, 16:25   #13462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If they cut this down to around 15 minutes boarding time and platform occupancy, it can free the platform for more time.
[...]
Many a times the passenger train rakes are left on the platform for a long time, hours together.
They use the platforms because there aren't enough stabling lines. There aren't enough stabling lines because there isn't any space for expansion at Bangalore City or Yeshwantpur coaching terminals.

Also, 15 minutes boarding time for a full train (about 1500 passengers) is a bit of a tough call, in my opinion. The rakes have to be available for at least an hour for a sufficiently staggered boarding process that would not result in overcrowding on the platform.
Old 24th January 2017, 20:44   #13463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What worried me a bit is the availability of platforms at the major stations (SBC, YPR, KJM & YNK). These are the bigger railway stations to which there are lots other modes to reach (buses, and metro to the first two Railway Junctions), so passengers may prefer boarding the Airport shuttle train from here. I don't know how many "slots" are available in these stations to start new train services, and at what timings. The airport has 24/7 operations, but don't know if the railways have a provision to run shuttle services 24/7. In other countries what I have observed is that, they have dedicated platforms for starting/terminating airport shuttles, or else their main line train traffic is very limited.
SBC needs to have dedicated platforms for suburban trains similar to Chennai. Considering the traffic SBC handles, it will be tough to manage long distance trains and suburban trains originating from the same platform.
Is there any possibility of utilizing the land near binny mills.
Old 24th January 2017, 21:05   #13464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think running trains between Yelahanka-Devanahalli at least should be a problem for the railways.
Spot on. It is a highly under-utilized line. There are very few trains (I think around 8/day) on that particular line.

It is nothing but the combination of GoK apathy and the radio taxi/road toll brigade. Indian Railways will not pay one paise bribe so how will things get done?

BIAL management is more than happy to build the KIAL halt; GoK has to facilitate it. SWR (IR) are more than happy to run trains on this particular line to KIAL. However, all their proposals have gathered dust because of the money-making abilities of "Steel Flyover", "Metro" & "High Speed Rail".

God help Karnataka.

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th January 2017 at 21:19. Reason: Clarify
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 07:30   #13465
BHPian

A Multi-axle Truck has fallen over on its side near the ISRO U Turn on the ring road towards KR Puram.

May cause some traffic jam

Regards
Old 25th January 2017, 08:41   #13466
Distinguished - BHPian

Suddenly a lot of traction for developing the long-planned alternative approaches to KIAL. This time it seems serious, hope they do finally execute it.

It will go a long way in de-congesting Hebbal as flyers bound from KRPuram will opt for the alternative Nagawara route. Lack of toll will be an additional draw :-)

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/56766432.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th January 2017 at 08:42. Reason: URL
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 08:51   #13467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Noticed couple days ago that the traffic island/median is being redesigned at the Residency Road-Commissariat road junction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This was done last week itself and the right turn is not possible only through the bus stop.
I guess they have closed it because the vehicles taking a right sometimes created a block for vehicles taking the left curve to MG road. Also they were sometimes creating a block for vehicles coming out of the bus bay and taking the right. But even then, when both options were available, traffic moved faster IMO.

If the redesigned layout has made that bus bay wider to facilitate a right for additional traffic, then it should be ok. But if it is just about closing the right after the bus stop, I agree with audioholic, it's not a very good idea.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 25th January 2017 at 08:53.
Old 25th January 2017, 11:01   #13468
Senior - BHPian

A rant. I was observing for some really common issues/causes which was leading to traffic jams. BMTC buses seems to trigger most of these jams (may be I am stating the obvious). At Chandapura circle, Muthanallur Cross & Dommansandra Jn - when ever there is a traffic jam, it is because of wrong parking by BMTC (often multiple buses).
1. At Chandapura circle, the local police had managed to close down many exit & entry points to the circle (and made it one huge circle). With a couple of policemen they are able to control the flow of the vehicles. But BMTC plays spoil sport by stopping their buses right at the points where the huge roads from Dommasandra & Anekal join Hosur road.
2. At Muthanallur cross, the buses just stop right after the point where road from Chandapura joins Sarjapur Road (when going towards Wipro office). Buses going towards Sarjapura stops bang opposite. Result - other vehicles coming from all the three directions would get jammed.
3. At Dommasandra, buses regularly stop at the T Junction (left Sarjapura, right Wipro office/Carmelaram). Vehicles behind the bus would try to over take it, but by then vehicles going towards Sarjapura would be there on the opposite lane.

Last edited by sachinpk : 25th January 2017 at 11:05.
Old 25th January 2017, 11:09   #13469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A rant. I was observing for some really common issues/causes which was leading to traffic jams. BMTC buses seems to trigger most of these jams (may be I am stating the obvious). At Chandapura circle, Muthanallur Cross & Dommansandra Jn - when ever there is a traffic jam, it is because of wrong parking by BMTC (often multiple buses).
1. At Chandapura circle, the local police had managed to close down many exit & entry points to the circle (and made it one huge circle). With a couple of policemen they are able to control the flow of the vehicles. But BMTC plays spoil sport by stopping their buses right at the points where the huge roads from Dommasandra & Anekal join Hosur road.
2. At Muthanallur cross, the buses just stop right after the point where road from Chandapura joins Sarjapur Road (when going towards Wipro office). Buses going towards Sarjapura stops bang opposite. Result - other vehicles coming from all the three directions would get jammed.
3. At Dommasandra, buses regularly stop at the T Junction (left Sarjapura, right Wipro office/Carmelaram). Vehicles behind the bus would try to over take it, but by then vehicles going towards Sarjapura would be there on the opposite lane.
This is the same story with the Silk board junction as well. In the mornings (6 AM) there are no cops to regulate the traffic. The mornings belong to the BMTC bus drivers for the way they park the buses posing hindrance to other vehicles. Even while stopping at bus stops for people to get down and board the bus, they tend to park at an angle. This is more than enough to trigger a jam.
Old 25th January 2017, 23:03   #13470
Team-BHP Support

ONE hour to cover Doddanekundi to HAL Road via. ISRO junction, and traffic is now bumper-to-bumper as far as I can see.

Everytime I miss owning a car, one look at traffic justifies my decision. I wouldn't drive in this madhouse if someone handed me a car for free. No thank you!:
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks