Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 15:04   #14026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
I asked on of the cops yesterday on the way back from the airport. It seems they are blocking off the flyovers i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Surprisingly, even the flyovers at Hyderabad were closed at midnight last night.
there is some festival which involves them staying awake all night. Like with all such cases, some smart jacks take to the roads and flyovers to showoff their riding skills and hence they are blocked off to avoid accidents, which is ridiculous. They should just catch hold of few of them and fine them and the remaining 'may' fall in line. But hey, who will bell the cat?

I think the situation should be back to normal in Bangalore by tonight. not sure about HYD though...
Old 12th May 2017, 15:23   #14027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
there is some festival which involves them staying awake all night. Like with all such cases, some smart jacks take to the roads and flyovers to showoff their riding skills and hence they are blocked off to avoid accidents, which is ridiculous.
Bangalore Police had an ambitious plan to stop the "wheelie menace". It worked for two days, but then petered out completely. It is very obvious in which areas these drag races happen, the people involved etc. Even the L&O police was on full alert yesterday. Law enforcement has to be uniform and across the board.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 15:54   #14028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Has anyone come across such a thing ?
I hope you noted his registration number. BLR city especially the ORR is totally lawless even in broad daylight, and one can never tell whether there is a road-rage or some other scam going on. Innovas are especially culprits given the easy realty money and/or politician/carpetbagging louts using them.

Keep an eye on the BTP traffic fine site for a few days just in case - you can never say what case can be slapped on you.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 12:40   #14029
Senior - BHPian

Airport Metro has been a longstanding demand of Bengalureans. In addition to drastically reducing the time taken to reach the KIA, it would liberate the Bellary road, thus making life easier for non airport goers living in the vicinity of the entire stretch starting from the High grounds police station and extending all the way upto Yelahanka.

Government of Karnataka has finally come out with a proper plan. Deccan Herald reports that the Metro line will run parallel to the existing road and will be an extension of the 21.25 km Gottigere-Nagavara stretch and will be taken up as part of Phase 2 of Metro works in the city.

The finalised route is Nagavara-Hegde Nagar-Jakkur-UAS-Yelahanka-KIA.

If there was somehow a magic wand that could bring the metro line into existence with a wave, I would have been happy. But looking at the snail paced work being carried out by BMRCL, I feel that we may have to pass through a whole lot of hell before ensconcing ourself in the air conditioned coaches of Namma Metro on our way to KIA.
Old 14th May 2017, 09:27   #14030
Senior - BHPian

[OT; a search for "beacon" didn't bring up the relevant thread. Mod, please move if not appropriate here]

I'm having a lot of schadenfreude reading this article:

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...alute-4654832/

Kuljit Singh Nagra: "we need to work out a system so that we do not get delayed" (at toll booths)

Gurpartap Singh Wadala: "the only problem with the removal of beacons was all this waiting at toll plazas. They should devise a way"

Dear MLAs, the "system" or "way" that needs to be worked out or devised is this: formulate policies and pass laws that make road transport congestion free and efficient. But that requires actually working on things that you were elected for, isn't it?
Old 16th May 2017, 22:57   #14031
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding on the footpath seems to have become a norm rather than an exception. Today was waiting at the Kundanahalli gate signal (Marathahalli) and counted 20 Two-Wheelers go past me on to the footpath. Only one other rider within that 2 minute window kept to the main road.

Lot of diversity too, saw the regular commuter bikes, mopeds, couple of Enfields, A Duke, 2-3 scooters all zip on the footpath. No dearth of variety in the folks riding also.

One would think that several of them don't even know what they are doing is against all rules.

I looked stupid waiting on the road behind a bus.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 10:07   #14032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Riding on the footpath seems to have become a norm rather than an exception. Today was waiting at the Kundanahalli gate signal (Marathahalli) and counted 20 Two-Wheelers go past me on to the footpath. Only one other rider within that 2 minute window kept to the main road.
If I come across such a thing, I will take snaps of these two wheelers on the footpath and upload them onto the Public Eye portal of BTP. They will levy a fine on them. This is the only way to reduce this menace or the BBMP needs to erect granite pillars in the middle of the footpath (similar to tendersure roads) to prevent two wheelers from riding the footpath.
Old 17th May 2017, 10:54   #14033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Lot of diversity too, saw the regular commuter bikes, mopeds, couple of Enfields, A Duke, 2-3 scooters all zip on the footpath. No dearth of variety in the folks riding also.

One would think that several of them don't even know what they are doing is against all rules.

Talking about footpath riding, I'm a big fan of that JNNURM roads and footpaths. Our country was never wheelchair friendly. These roads and footpaths were a good step in making that happen. But this footpath riding has spoilt that

These footpaths have less gradient changes and of the right height for the low floor buses and had got everything right going. But, it was also good for footpath riding buggers. To avoid this, the engineers have put poles. But then the wheelchairs again can't pass through.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-18489909_1353636394712130_8739607786256695455_o.jpg

"But then, why should wheelchair users come out anyway? they should lock themselves up in closed rooms and be dependent for life. They should never be independent" Until this mindset changes, nothing's going to improve in our country
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 11:16   #14034
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday we had been out from office for lunch, just a few hundred meters away opposite Vydehi Hospital. There is this complex which has place to park cars and they used to charge for it. The flip side to this parking area is that the land belonging to the complex and the footpath is not demarcated, and the space between the building and the boundary of the land is a little more than the space occupied by an average sedan. The footpath too is wide enough to accomodate another car. To my bad luck yesterday, when I was parking, I found that there was a line of two wheelers parked in front of the building, and the cars were parked behind the line of bikes. Having a severe OCD when it comes to lining up with stuff, I parked my car exactly in line with the other cars, around four of them.

After a heavy lunch, I came out to see that the windshield wipers were lifted up to wash position for all the cars. I wondered if this was some courtesy wiping service the security was offering for the money we paid. But I hadnt paid him either, and he was nowhere to be seen. As I walked closer to the car to investigate, I realised that there were cops around and they had clamped all the cars . Little did I realise during my assumed perfect parking that I had parked exactly between the private land and the footpath so were the other cars too(six including mine). I quickly understood this, and also realised that was the reason the security guard cum parking fee collector was nowhere in the vicinity, else he would not have been spared.

I realised my mistake and learnt that the fine was 100 for parking, and another 500 for footpath obstruction. Paid up without arguing and got the clamp removed. However, others did not seem to realise what had gone wrong. They were arguing with all baseless stuff like 'this is what we have been doing' and stuff like that. Though this was not fair, technically we have to admit that the car was on the footpath. The cop just made a good round of fine collection like catching stuck fish in a small puddle.

So much for the a$$@$@% who own the building. At least, they did not charge me for parking yesterday, else hell would have broke loose. If anyone is going there for lunch, then please be careful when parking. This is a stealth trap which no one realises, until the cops come and fine you.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 14:41   #14035
BHPian

Quote:

I use my two wheeler for my daily commute and use car only going out with family. I am strictly against people riding on the footpath. Having said that there is no dearth of people driving cars who do not like me following the rules.

1. This happens on regular basis to me - I keep to the extreme left. Then this guy in car behind me honks. I look back at him and he gestures me to squeeze between the footpath and car in front of me and allow him to move forward. This usually happens when the traffic is moving slowly. I have never obliged these "requests".

2. Many drivers/riders do not expect me to stop behind the Stop line at traffic signals - this despite the fact that the traffic signal is working with count down timer. I have been rear ended three times by cars when I stopped behind Stop line including once after giving the hand signal that I am stopping and not jumping the signal or stopping after the Stop line.

I sometimes wonder what will happen if all the two wheelers suddenly decide to follow the rules to the hilt and move correctly behind each other.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 14:52   #14036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

I sometimes wonder what will happen if all the two wheelers suddenly decide to follow the rules to the hilt and move correctly behind each other.
Well, if that were to happen, all hell will break loose and there will be more accidents and the BTP will issue a public advisory to all 2 wheeler riders to go back to their old methods to avoid such accidents

On a serious note, there was a lot of traffic on the old airport road in the afternoon at around 12:30pm. I believe the culprit was a broken down BMTC bus on the right most lane and there was a tow vehicle already in place. However, not sure if they have managed to clear it and there was a volvo bus near the old arrival area that seemed to have broken down in the middle lane, so watch out for traffic in that area. Both these are on the side coming towards Indiranagar.
Old 17th May 2017, 14:54   #14037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If anyone is going there for lunch, then please be careful when parking. This is a stealth trap which no one realises, until the cops come and fine you.
Are you talking about the complex that has Airtel office,Justbake and kritungna restaurant ?
Old 17th May 2017, 16:10   #14038
Senior - BHPian

1,35,527 in 2015, 1,09,769 in 2106 and 38,131 till April 30, 2017.

These are the numbers of overspeeding cases booked by BTP in the corresponding years. Overspeeding in Bengaluru? That's indeed a revelation! TOI reports:

Quote:
Bengaluru's overspeeding problem is puzzling, given the perennial traffic congestion and deplorable condition of roads. Typically, people tend to overspeed to overtake the vehicle in front or when there's less traffic more road space. The braking distance is very less by the time the driver sees any obstruction on the road or another vehicle or pedestrian coming in his/her way, resulting in injuries that get graver as the distance reduces.

The tendency to overtake vehicles is the highest among two wheeler riders. Pedestrians are most vulnerable. Cabbies too tend to overspeed when traffic is thin or while driving on high ways. The higher the vehicle speed, the greater the impact...
Old 17th May 2017, 16:20   #14039
Senior - BHPian

40 more roads in Bengaluru to come under Tendersure!

Quote:
Chief minister Siddaramaiah asked officials on Tuesday to expedite ongoing work on sprucing up city roads under the TenderSURE (Specification of Urban Road Execution) project.

He said 40 more roads would be included in the TenderSURE project in Package-4, taking the number of roads covered under the scheme for upgradation to 90.

"TenderSURE is the most significant project that envisages giving a facelift to Bengaluru city roads, scaling them up to global standards.The only worry is that work is going on at a little slow pace. I want BBMP officials and those involved in the execution of the project to speed it up," Siddaramaiah said.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 16:37   #14040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
1,35,527 in 2015, 1,09,769 in 2106 and 38,131 till April 30, 2017.

These are the numbers of overspeeding cases booked by BTP in the corresponding years. Overspeeding in Bengaluru? That's indeed a revelation! TOI reports:
Most of the overspeeding cases are on the ring roads and on the BIAL road where they are ready with their interceptors and in the night in some of the CBD areas. Otherwise as rightly said, overspeeding?
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks