Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 14:41   #14071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker
Given this growth, must say Hyderabad has done reasonably well when it comes to civic infra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Note that this is not the whole story, because Bangalore became Bruhat Bangalore in between those two censuses, subsuming many municipalities and villages around the original Bangalore.
I think @binand has a point here. The geographical area between the two sensus also needs to be considered. When I landed up at Bangalore, Diary circle was kind of the farthest end of the city (long distance buses did not have further stops outside this). HSR non-existent, Iblur was not even a village, only an Army detachment camp was there. Sarjapura was some unknown place, where people still used to go by buses sitting on the roof. Areas like Whitefield, Varthur, Kaduogodi etc. were part of Bangalore Rural district (from a revenue and policing perspective).

But yes, Hyderabad seems to have either a visionary political class in place, or at least those who could foresee the problems which Bangalore would face, and pre-empted it. One thing, they just kept the IT-wallahs out of the city proper and asked them to stay put in Cyberabad. Plus they also managed to get wide roads and actually build a true Outer "Ring" road. And I am also not sure, whether Hyderabad during its initial days saw a rush of people from other parts of India. At least in the 2004-2005 time period, what I could sense was that only people from AP (and today's TS) and Hyderabad city actually wanted to go there. Bangalore on the other hand also attracted people from every corner of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie
What the city needed was a planned IT belt and proper transport services (read metro + BMTC) implemented before projecting itself for the investors. But alas! Now I believe its too late and nothing much can be done.
My gut feeling is that the political class of Bangalore (and Karnataka) did not realise this "computer business" would be such a major game changer. So they could not have thought about an IT belt and arrange for proper transport services. Electronics City was planned to be an "Electronics belt"; far away from the city but close to a highway. And when IT came in, the city-fathers actually just asked them to move to EC; for them IT, Electronics were all one and the same. And when every one knew that IT was a "cash cow", then rather than any forward planning the focus was more on milching the cow to the maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
However, the residential layouts are created by societies within the organization which is basically to enable employees to create a home for themselves once they retire. Such is the case with ISRO Layout in South Bangalore. Same with RR Nagar BEML Layout also. Of course, some active employees also stay in these layouts, but thats by choice
Agree. During those days, looks like once a person land's up in a PSU it was pretty much destined that he would retire from there. Know many people from Kerala, who left their homes to land up in BEL and HAL and then finally accept that Bangalore would be their home for the rest of the life. And such people usually formed co-operative socities and start making layouts where they would build their homes. Now, they being outsiders they required local help to get things going. And it is here people like "Lay out Krishnappa" etc. came in and made it big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey
I see a disabled gentleman with a Activa kind of vehicle trying to flag down two wheeler riders near the Bellandur underpass (the service road that leads to Ecospace from the Bellandur Central junction)
Should be the same chap, after noticing the M.O. His earlier operating zone was I guess near Salem bridge after Marthahalli. Now to be operating in Kadubeesanhalli, Bellandur side. I think some one should take a snap of this chap, and upload it on BTP's Facebook page requesting the police "to actually help him move from the area, and also help him again the next time he gets in the same situation".
Old 25th May 2017, 14:53   #14072
Distinguished - BHPian

***********Rant***************

I think the problem also lies in Bangalore never having good mass transport systems in place. Even in the 90s, I remember most lower/upper middle class folks using 2 wheeler to commute to work and back. BTS buses were few and were typically used by those who could not afford a 2 wheeler - talking about times when Luna, Chetak, Kinetic honda & hero puch were the most popular 2 wheelers

I would also blame the PSUs as they did not push the govt to setup transport for them and instead setup their own private network for the convenience of their employees. Same with the new gen PSUs (Infy, Wipro etc.) who also decided to improve employee productivity by investing in their own transport network. This and the above point ensured that govt never did have to think about mass transit until the city was choked with vehicles!

IMHO, again want to stress that this is my opinion based on folks I interact with, most native bangaloreans dont have the patience to wait for 5 min for public transport. A lot of people who have lived a large portion of their life in bangalore prefer to drive 1 - 1.5 hours through traffic instead of spending 10 min more to get to their destination using public transport. This is what I call the "Bangalore mentality" as people here have never relied on public transport and are unable to come to terms with the fact that waiting 5-10 min and taking public transport is so much better for everyone in the city as compared to crawling along in your 2/4 wheeler.

***************end of rant************

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That is exactly my current situation. I cant get to work by metro due to a screwed up last mile connectivity from the metro station to my office
Not true. Lots of BMTC metro feeders operating from Byappanahalli to ITPL and even at 9 am peak traffic, I have managed to reach Vydehi hospital from BYPL in 45-50 min - this is average time over many trips in the last month or so.

But I do agree that last mile connectivity to a lot of other places in the city is crappy but with BMTC plying smaller more compact feeder buses(lets not get started on the seating arrangement & space management inside these buses ), this should hopefully improve.

Having said that, once metro construction kicks off on the KR Puram - Whitefield stretch, road conditions & travel time is going to go to the dogs and the only thing that will help is rail connectivity between Byappanahalli & Whitefield. The govt needs to move its a$$ and work with railways to get this going as it takes just 10 min from BYPL - Hoodi halt by rail.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:01   #14073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
But yes, Hyderabad seems to have either a visionary political class in place, or at least those who could foresee the problems which Bangalore would face, and pre-empted it. One thing, they just kept the IT-wallahs out of the city proper and asked them to stay put in Cyberabad. Plus they also managed to get wide roads and actually build a true Outer "Ring" road. And I am also not sure, whether Hyderabad during its initial days saw a rush of people from other parts of India. At least in the 2004-2005 time period, what I could sense was that only people from AP (and today's TS) and Hyderabad city actually wanted to go there. Bangalore on the other hand also attracted people from every corner of the city.
I lived in Hyderabad between 2001-09. Even then it was quite cosmopolitan; and many people actually preferred it to Bangalore (there was a general perception that the average Hyderabadi understood and accommodated Hindi speakers a lot better than the average Bangalorean; it was a cheaper city to live in; and of course it was closer to north Indian cities than Bangalore and perhaps better connected). At the (IT) company I worked, we had staff from all over the place - Gujarat to Assam and Kashmir to Kerala. It also had its share of PSUs and government departments and suchlike, and I believe the military presence there is much larger than in Bangalore?

But I agree Hyderabad's planners were far more prescient than Bangalore's. Their new airport came up quicker and so did the PVNR Expressway; their ORR is truly a ring road; they had MRTS whereas Bangalore is still only talking of suburban railways and in fact their Husain Sagar was a lot cleaner and scenic than our Ulsoor.

Yet, the south and south-east parts of Hyderabad still has a Mylapore look and feel, if you ask me.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:24   #14074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Not true. Lots of BMTC metro feeders operating from Byappanahalli to ITPL and even at 9 am peak traffic, I have managed to reach Vydehi hospital from BYPL in 45-50 min - this is average time over many trips in the last month or so.
That is the time I take to reach office from my house in Banashankari Thats why I say that metro isnt an attractive option for me. 10 minutes from my house to the station, 25 minutes in the train and then 40mins(early morning bus ride from BYPL to whitefield) makes it totally 1hr 15 minutes to reach office. Thats how much time I take to reach home in the evening

However, like you say once the metro construction starts in full swing, I have to make changes to my commute. Probably thinking of a mixture of two wheeler on some days, train on other and car maybe just 1 or 2 days.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 18:44   #14075
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru City Police, in its endeavor to make policing people friendly, has come up with a WhatsApp account. The phone number for the same is 9480801000. I have observed that the account is always online and hence am assuming that it could be of use to people in need.

PS: This is not a Traffic Police account but an inclusive one catering to L&O, Crime, Traffic etc.
Old 26th May 2017, 23:01   #14076
Senior - BHPian

On my way back from office there was traffic pile up at jakkasandra and from koramangala all the way till shantinagar/double road. Reason being slush and mini pools created from rains, and also few trees had fallen down.

One good thing though was the traffic cops were braving the rain and guiding the traffic. Hats off to them!!
Old 27th May 2017, 01:12   #14077
Team-BHP Support

A short-bed container truck has climbed the railing on the Mahadevapura flyover up-ramp (first lane towards Marathahalli).

Hanging precariously amidst​ poor lighting and worse visibility due to rains, no blinkers or reflectors either. Hope it's removed soon.
Old 27th May 2017, 11:44   #14078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A short-bed container truck has climbed the railing on the Mahadevapura flyover up-ramp (first lane towards Marathahalli).

Hanging precariously amidst​ poor lighting and worse visibility due to rains, no blinkers or reflectors either. Hope it's removed soon.
It was there at 4:30 AM when I was on my way back home from the airport (flight got diverted to Hyderabad due to the rains; so a 11:30 PM landing became a 3:00 AM landing the next day). My own cab driver managed to steer clear of it (I told him to watch out) but I could see others on the road were doing last-minute swerves.

30 minutes wait time at Devanahalli toll booth at 3 AM. Ouch. I think 20 minutes is the minimum wait at this toll booth at all times of the day.
Old 27th May 2017, 12:23   #14079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
One good thing though was the traffic cops were braving the rain and guiding the traffic. Hats off to them!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It was there at 4:30 AM when I was on my way back home from the airport (flight got diverted to Hyderabad due to the rains; so a 11:30 PM landing became a 3:00 AM landing the next day).
Yesterday evening drive back home was a "most memorable" experience to me as well. There was a dinner party and it was around 2230Hrs we left Indira Nagar side. It was raining for nearly 1 hour by then. I knew that I would have to face some "challenges", and when climbing up the Indira Nagar fly over itself came to know that Maharajah's Hotel junction, Krupanidhi College Jn and Silk Board Jn. were having good water logging. So decided to try the Ayappah temple road Jn (and left towards Madivala PS). The traffic pile up started some where near St. John's auditorium itself.

When inching my way towards Ayyappa Temple Jn. came to know that there is a bus break down at the "magic box fly over" at that Jn. There were at least two big tree falls on Bannerghatta Main Road (near Accenture office). The traffic jam because of this was even there till Double Road and Siddappura Jn (near Nimhans). The traffic police seems to be the only civic agency trying to bring some normalcy to the chaos. From what I understood even ACP level officers were on the field.

It was around 2345Hrs that we finally crossed Silk Board fly over, and by then Bannerghatta Rd was partially opened for traffic. Got onto the elevated highway only to face another jam (for around 10 mins) at the Toll booth. Another vehicle also squeezed in on the FasTag lane, and I yelled the choicest abuses at the driver of that vehicle. It was only at around 0015Hrs (the next day, i.e today), that finally I landed at home. It was raining even then.
Old 27th May 2017, 15:52   #14080
BHPian

The entry /exit from on ORR and Ramamurthy Nagar bridge is becoming a headache of epic proportions. It is clogged at all points in the day. This is really frustrating to see that in this day and age you have such a narrow bridge to pass insane amount of traffic from 3 sides. I think this situation will continue till the time horamavu railway underpass is not completed. Any updates on the progress and a possible completion date?
Old 27th May 2017, 16:33   #14081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
The entry /exit from on ORR and Ramamurthy Nagar bridge is becoming a headache of epic proportions. It is clogged at all points in the day. This is really frustrating to see that in this day and age you have such a narrow bridge to pass insane amount of traffic from 3 sides. I think this situation will continue till the time horamavu railway underpass is not completed. Any updates on the progress and a possible completion date?
There is also a double flyover planned at this junction. One from TC palya and another from RM nagar. This will be started once horamavu underpass is complete.
Old 27th May 2017, 16:39   #14082
BHPian

Hello everyone agree on traffic issues in Bangalore.

Other day saw a tweet to traffic department requesting to reduce single occupancy vehicle or SOV at least during peak office time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing...upancy_vehicle

Last edited by ritz3645 : 27th May 2017 at 16:58. Reason: Typo
Old 27th May 2017, 16:56   #14083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I lived in Hyderabad between 2001-09. Even then it was quite cosmopolitan; and many people actually preferred it to Bangalore (there was a general perception that the average Hyderabadi understood and accommodated Hindi speakers a lot better than the average Bangalorean; it was a cheaper city to live in; and of course it was closer to north Indian cities than Bangalore and perhaps better connected). At the (IT) company I worked, we had staff from all over the place - Gujarat to Assam and Kashmir to Kerala. It also had its share of PSUs and government departments and suchlike, and I believe the military presence there is much larger than in Bangalore?

But I agree Hyderabad's planners were far more prescient than Bangalore's. Their new airport came up quicker and so did the PVNR Expressway; their ORR is truly a ring road; they had MRTS whereas Bangalore is still only talking of suburban railways and in fact their Husain Sagar was a lot cleaner and scenic than our Ulsoor.

Yet, the south and south-east parts of Hyderabad still has a Mylapore look and feel, if you ask me.

Brother am quite surprised of you comparing eight year old Bhagyanagar traffic experience with traffic in Bangalore.

I think Bhagyanagar during that time didn't have metro construction going on and was a capital of different state.Till two months back I was there and do not want to promote or be biased towards any city. Metro construction in any city compounds traffic problem, hope you are aware there is Metro work going on in Bhagyanagar.

About Hindi speaker and issues zero comments.

Last edited by ritz3645 : 27th May 2017 at 17:06. Reason: Typo
Old 28th May 2017, 11:50   #14084
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This almost made it to the accidents thread, but glad it ended as a near-miss!
I was on my scooter and there was an XUV in front of me at one of the cross roads on Old Madras Road, waiting for the signal to turn green before making a right turn.

After an almost 1.5 minute wait, the light turned green and we made the right turn and I kept to the left most lane on Old Madras road. There was a cyclist about 50 meters ahead on the left most lane. The XUV was on the right most lane and was picking up speed quickly, all clear for about 200 meters in front of him so it seemed fine.

Looking ahead about 250 meters or so I could see that the next signal was Red and traffic had stopped, so I just kept to low speeds on extreme left. Suddenly, the cyclist in front of me does a 45 degree lane change through the center lane to go towards the median beside right most lane (probably wanted to turn right at the signal ahead).

At the same time the XUV picked up speed, he also honked but the cyclist ignored and continued. The XUV was caught by surprise and had to do some emergency braking and barely managed to stop a foot in front of the cyclist who fell off the cycle onto the road. The cyclist was extremely lucky not to be run over.

Last edited by NPV : 28th May 2017 at 12:05.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 12:52   #14085
BHPian

Saw this on Sanjaynagar main road, vehicles crossing an intersection took a few second more for a lady on an black Activa. She just waded into the oncoming traffic, nudged a courier guy on a bike. The guy shouts asking her to get her eye sight checked "Kannillaveri? Nodkondu Hoogi" . The Activa lady shouts back in a very agitated manner "Traffic hei, these thinks happen, why are you shouting?" . That leaves the guy gasping for a proper comeback, simply moves on.. The lady moves on grumbling.

With roads infested with people like this, orderly traffic is a dream.

Most Viewed