Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 08:26   #14161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Simple solution to NICE problem is to collect toll at the exit, just like in ORR toll in Hyderabad.

In ORR Hyderabad, they just give the receipt at entry point and collect the amount at the exit. This way we would not be clogged at one entry point like NICE road.

In NICE they collect amount at start, then check the receipt at end, instead issue receipt at start and collect the amount at the exit.
I don't think it will save any time. On NICE road too, on some days when it is unmanageable, they have done that. But it didn't work in my experience of it. It's only that we spend more time in point B than at point A.

Also, at EC and Nelamangala, they have many booths and wide road area to accommodate many vehicles. But the exits in between these two are not big enough for many vehicles. If the line at the exit gets big, then it'll even come up to the main carriageway and the entire road will become slower.
One good step was that they put more attendants with mobile ticket issuing devices which improved waiting time. But then, this time was offset by a fair margin when NICE started accepting Credit cards and Paytm. Although useful, these payment modes are slower.

The only faster solution can be that they accept Fasttag (or at least some RFID of their own)
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:39   #14162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I also used to think the same as to why a part of it cannot be acquired and make that turn a little more bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Does anybody have an idea of what the small establishment marked in red is? It is a small shed/factory which nobody seems to be using.

I am wondering that this piece of property/shed is never affected by any land-acquisition? If you see, many properties' compound walls have been demolished for Metro ph-2 construction except this "privileged" property. Wonder who owns this?
Same here. Even I am suspicious as to why this junction stays as it is without any sort of widening. However, a small part of one corner of the property next to it seems to have been shaved off recently as a part of the metro demolition. This property is left untouched. May sound suspicious, but the alignment of the metro itself does not warrant any part of this property to be demolished. If the road has to be widened, it is now left to the respective organisation in charge of the roads in this area. I am not sure if it is the BBMP or BDA or whoever since this area was once a cluster of village panchayats and other governing bodies and hence there might be some clashes there.

Once the metro is done, this corner property will be a prime one because of a superb frontage. I guess thats why somehow it has been left untouched.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:15   #14163
Senior - BHPian

My rant for today! I am fed up of the stretch in front of Christ college. Absolutely pathetic behavior by all and sundry there. My issues are against :

1. People who come to drop/pick-up students. They stop wherever and whenever they want. If they are on the right most lane then so be it. The guys behind have to wait because their precious kids have to go to the college. At any point of time one lane on either side of the road is blocked by the vehicles. Even cops are helpless. I have seen police trying to move the autos and the private vehicles away but nobody gives a damn to their warning. I pity the police.

2. The entrance to the tech park is right next to the bus stand. If the buses stop there than the vehicles needing to enter the tech park will not wait behind the bus for couple of mins but try to go around it and enter creating bottleneck.

3. Nobody uses the pedestrian over-bridge there. Not the students, not the other common people and definitely not the elders. All want to run, walk or scamper across the main road.

Bikers simply keep one finger on their vehicle horn and criss cross across , Autos do the same without even doing it while cabs(and few private cars as well) think they are 4 wheeler auto/bike and do the same. In the end few of the people who drive sanely either end up going mad or abused upon.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:22   #14164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
My rant for today! I am fed up of the stretch in front of Christ college. Absolutely pathetic behavior by all and sundry there. My issues are against :

1. People who come to drop/pick-up students. They stop wherever and whenever they want. If they are on the right most lane then so be it. The guys behind have to wait because their precious kids have to go to the college. At any point of time one lane on either side of the road is blocked by the vehicles. Even cops are helpless. I have seen police trying to move the autos and the private vehicles away but nobody gives a damn to their warning. I pity the police.

2. The entrance to the tech park is right next to the bus stand. If the buses stop there than the vehicles needing to enter the tech park will not wait behind the bus for couple of mins but try to go around it and enter creating bottleneck.

3. Nobody uses the pedestrian over-bridge there. Not the students, not the other common people and definitely not the elders. All want to run, walk or scamper across the main road.

Bikers simply keep one finger on their vehicle horn and criss cross across , Autos do the same without even doing it while cabs(and few private cars as well) think they are 4 wheeler auto/bike and do the same. In the end few of the people who drive sanely either end up going mad or abused upon.
This is the same problem day in and out at Bommanahalli signal. When the cops are around, the auto drivers park their vehicles away from the bus stop. Once the cops go, they are the masters of the road creating chaos, blocking the traffic.
Sometimes I feel police should adopt stern tactics with these guys. Merely fining them will not at all solve this problem
Old 13th June 2017, 10:37   #14165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
This is the same problem day in and out at Bommanahalli signal. When the cops are around, the auto drivers park their vehicles away from the bus stop. Once the cops go, they are the masters of the road creating chaos, blocking the traffic.
Sometimes I feel police should adopt stern tactics with these guys. Merely fining them will not at all solve this problem
My office is very close to Bommanahalli signal. On a couple of occasions, I have seen traffic police actually lathi charge the auto drivers to get them away from their "favourite" spots, and hence make traffic flow smoothly.

But, the very next day, the auto drivers are back in their usual places again. Until the next lathi charge.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:51   #14166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Metro is somehow projected as the problem to all of our traffic issues...
It will not solve the traffic problem. I don't think any public transport system will. The Delhi Metro has excellent connectivity, but Delhi still has bad traffic. What a good public transport system will do however, is give those who opt to utilize it a saner alternative to commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Since I commute below the metro corridor from BYPL all the way till Trinity circle every day...
Just curious, so why not use the Metro then? I guess you probably need to travel beyond Trinity and so it doesn't make sense?

Last edited by am1m : 13th June 2017 at 10:52.
Old 13th June 2017, 11:37   #14167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Just curious, so why not use the Metro then? i guess you probably need to travel beyond Trinity and so it doesn't make sense?
Yes, exactly. I need to go beyond that towards Banashankari. We are getting the Green line next week so I will be using that option. However, I still need to optimize the travel from Baiyyappanahalli to Whitefield which is still a downer for me since it doesnt offer any advantages over taking my own car. The coming weeks will make things clearer with respect to advantages/disadvantages.
Old 13th June 2017, 19:19   #14168
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, exactly. I need to go beyond that towards Banashankari. We are getting the Green line next week so I will be using that option. However, I still need to optimize the travel from Baiyyappanahalli to Whitefield which is still a downer for me since it doesnt offer any advantages over taking my own car. The coming weeks will make things clearer with respect to advantages/disadvantages.
There are some rental bikes available at bypanhalli metro did you check that option?
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 19:38   #14169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
There are some rental bikes available at bypanhalli metro did you check that option?
Yes, indeed I am looking at them as an option. The current limitation is that the rentals start from 9AM by Wickedride and Metrobikes. I would prefer reaching BYPL station at 730 in the morning so that I can leave early too. Hence planning to contact them and check if they can offer me a weekly rental such that I can pick it up everyday myself and drop it at night.

The other option I have is to board a passenger train from BYPL to Hoodi but then I need to take some auto/bus again from Hoodi to my office. Hence still doing some analysis to find out which is the best option, or just stick to my car.
Old 13th June 2017, 20:10   #14170
BHPian

Quote:

The other option I have is to board a passenger train from BYPL to Hoodi but then I need to take some auto/bus again from Hoodi to my office. Hence still doing some analysis to find out which is the best option, or just stick to my car.
I am not sure where your office is; assuming its in ITPL or thereabouts, aren't there metro feeder services from SV Road/Byappanahalli to ITPL?
sanjaykk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 20:28   #14171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
I am not sure where your office is; assuming its in ITPL or thereabouts, aren't there metro feeder services from SV Road/Byappanahalli to ITPL?
That may take more time - because of the road traffic and the infamous KR Puram Jn. The train has a much more direct approach line. But the problem on relying on a train from Hoody (near ITPL) to BYPL is that the trains are very limited. So unless some one is lucky to have a well defined work hours, catching the MEMU train may be a problem. But I know people who do that, so it is not impossible.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 22:54   #14172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
That may take more time - because of the road traffic and the infamous KR Puram Jn. The train has a much more direct approach line. But the problem on relying on a train from Hoody (near ITPL) to BYPL is that the trains are very limited. So unless some one is lucky to have a well defined work hours, catching the MEMU train may be a problem. But I know people who do that, so it is not impossible.
Quoting Sachinpk's post since its more or less the answer. The metro feeder buses even at 730AM takes around 35 mins to reach my office near Prestige Shantiniketan. This provided the bus driver doesn't stop for too long and there are no traffic issues on the way. The estimated metro journey time for me from National college to BYPL is (10min + 3min transit to purple line + 15min to BYPL) which is around 28-30mins. To come to the metro station, park my two wheeler its another 10min. Totally it will take me closer to 1.5hr to reach office compared to 35-45mins by car.

The passenger train OTOH gives a reduced travel time of 15 minutes to Hoodi from where I can reach office in about five minutes. However the timings are fixed.

For me, I dont have fixed timings at work except for a 9 hour advised work duration. Out of personal preference I choose to start my day early and make use of the empty roads to reach office early and also leave early to beat the peak hour traffic. If I reach office late by taking the metro, I will have to leave office late too which will push travel times further. Bus to BYPL from my office might take close to an hour. Then, another 35 minutes to my destination and then 15 minutes to my house will still take close to 2Hr, compared to an average commute of 1.5hr in my car in the evening. Thats how the equation is not yet balanced for me. A rented two wheeler from BYPL does look more promising. Should explore that further.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 09:42   #14173
BHPian

Quote:
The metro feeder buses even at 730AM takes around 35 mins to reach my office near Prestige Shantiniketan. This provided the bus driver doesn't stop for too long and there are no traffic issues on the way.
Time is definitely a negative factor with the metro feeder buses.

Quote:
A rented two wheeler from BYPL does look more promising. Should explore that further.
A nine hour rental for Activa comes to Rs. 270/-

I am also in a similar predicament. I plan to take the metro once the Green line is fully operational. My travel will be in the other direction - Bayappanahalli to RV Road metro. From there I need to figure out the least cost+least time method to reach office in Delmia circle.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:09   #14174
Senior - BHPian

From Byappanahalli, you can take the metro to JP Nagar station and there are plenty of buses / autos that can take you to Delmia. In the worst of traffic days that commute shouldn't be more than 10 minutes.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 18:56   #14175
BHPian

Is there a big traffic jam on the Electronic City flyover going from Electronic City to Silkboard?

I can see blood red from before Hosa Road till Madivala in G Maps. Scared to venture out.

Last edited by jphukan : 14th June 2017 at 18:57. Reason: Added clarity

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks