Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2017, 13:11   #14386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Looks like a repeat of what happened last year is on the cards when BTP arbitrarily decided to close the underpass for users from Bhasyam circle to Windsor Manor. Once again the news article only talks about how it impacts folks from other directions except the ones who travel from Bhasyam circle to Windsor Manor. Looks like Sadashivnagar police station signal and Mekhri circle are going to get the bulk of this traffic heading towards Windsor manor from Yeshwantpur side.
Old 9th August 2017, 09:13   #14387
BHPian

Slow moving traffic alert! Extremely slow moving traffic from PESIT college entrance till Devegowda Circle. The pile-up is way more than usual. This was the case yesterday as well.
Old 9th August 2017, 09:53   #14388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Looks like a repeat of what happened last year is on the cards when BTP arbitrarily decided to close the underpass for users from Bhasyam circle to Windsor Manor. Once again the news article only talks about how it impacts folks from other directions except the ones who travel from Bhasyam circle to Windsor Manor. Looks like Sadashivnagar police station signal and Mekhri circle are going to get the bulk of this traffic heading towards Windsor manor from Yeshwantpur side.
Didn't this kinda of solve the congestion issue last time around? The volume of vehicles coming from Sankey Tank side into Cauvery Junction was minuscule compared to the Airport traffic. The alternate route bypassed the main road traffic leading them upto Vyalikaval/Windsor Manor Junction right?
Old 9th August 2017, 09:58   #14389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
Didn't this kinda of solve the congestion issue last time around?
Not really as this ensured to choke up the service lane on top of the Mekhri Circle flyover as well as internal roads in Sahashivanagar as people opted to take this rather then congested Vyyalikaval or Seshadripuram roads then.

I am also sure this may have faced a lot of opposition from the VVIPs in Sadashivanagar area because they too faced hardship to venture towards Windsor Manor side.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 16:34   #14390
Senior - BHPian

I am going to go in this post. Apologies in advance!

Just came across this nice read about the change to Bengaluru from a laid back garden city to "Ayyo! Garbage city".

Quoting few paragraphs from the original article.

Quote:
Motorised vehicles were first introduced to Bangalore in 1901.
“The first car showroom (and workshop) was set up in the Kannan building on South Parade Road (MG Road) in 1911, by an Englishman called HE Ormerod,” according to The Times of India newspaper.
Krishnan himself bought one, a Sunbeam, in 1955 as commuting was a task (some things never change!).

Buses were few and far between. Auto-rickshaws were introduced in 1950—Bangalore was the first Indian city to do so, said Krishnan (I couldn’t verify this)—but there were few of them. Taxis were scarce, too. So residents mostly depended on horse-carts. “My father-in-law arrived at our residence at around 10 o’ clock in the night on a tonga in 1963,” Krishnan says. A little more than a million people lived here then.

For their employees’ convenience, the PSUs introduced bus fleets. They also built massive, well-maintained townships that are much sought-after enclaves even today. The blue HAL and ITI buses were ubiquitous in Bangalore till a few years ago.

But despite the limited public transport options, it was still an easy city.
“My wife and I used to go together on foot quite a long distance,” said Sampige Anantha Murthy, a retired district and sessions judge, who first came to the city in 1954. “Those were the safer days.”

Indeed, as an eight-or nine-year-old, I’d travel long distances to school both by bus and by foot—alone or with friends. Straying far from home along the highway was a pleasurable Sunday routine. Brave would be the Bangalore parents who’d let their children do that now.

Because by February 2016, there were over 6 million motorised vehicles in the city, up over 6,000% from the 100,000 in 1971. While the length of the city’s road network has increased from 960 kilometres in 1964 to 10,200 km in 2014, it is still inadequate, leaving her with the worst road density among India’s metros. The result: Over $6 billion worth of man-hours spent stuck in traffic—and this for the IT sector alone.
I still remember during the early 90's when visiting my grandmother (who stayed in police quarters near koramangala), we used to get down from the bus at St. Johns and it used to feel like I have come to some village. Both sides lined with trees and hardly any people around. Now it is totally unrecognizable. Areas like Domlur, Indiranagar, Cantonment were all either being resided by people working in any of the govt PSU's or military people or Anglo Indians(local foreigners as we used to call them as kids). IIMB, HAL, IISC, Palace grounds were all outskirts and going to them meant a trip for the family.

I still remember one of my dad's friend had constructed a house in HSR around 96-97. We had been there and had wondered why has he constructed his house in a god forsaken place! I am all for moving along with the times but I couldn't help being nostalgic.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 9th August 2017 at 16:44.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 17:15   #14391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
This is not really a rant; more an anti-rant!
Made my day to be acknowledged!
Nice one there! Salute! May your tribe increase indeed.
Even I tried doing this as much as possible, but I get irritated by the honking and looks that I get (as if I have just committed the worst crime in the whole Universe) that I have to move ahead. Will try to leave the gap again.

I keep cribbing about this but my daily commute is from HSR to Electronics city and everytime its the Jail/Hosa road junction that kills me. Now that they have barricaded service roads, buses and trucks stop at the extreme left to go/turn towards Jail road and thereby stopping every vehicle that needs to go straight. I wish we would just learn how to stay of right lane if we are going to turn right.
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 17:32   #14392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I still remember during the early 90's
This post of yours is very moving. So many people, particularly those who have moved into the city for 'greener' pastures have no idea what our beloved Bengaluru was. Sitting behind dad's scooter and zipping on Double Road/KG Road, waiting for the familiar 'auto man' pom pom horn as we wait outside school, people patiently waiting behind stop lines at red signs, being oblivious to pot holes, not knowing what a 'hot day' meant, foot boarding on overcrowded 'BTS' [i.e., Bitre Tiruga Sigolla, once missed you wouldn't catch one again] buses, watching Pushpak luxury city commute buses in awe, familiar sight of flowers/fruits from good old Gulmohar trees fallen on roads, running to 'near by' park/play ground, posters of Dr Rajkumar/ Dr Vishnuvardhan movies, were the days which I and most of us generally have forgotten.

If at all I knew my city would get to becoming what it is today - I would have prayed day in and out to stop it.

It is not that the city is getting bigger, crowded, less green, loosing discipline, and so on and so forth. It is more to do with character. City seems to be losing its character. Hopefully, we will not let its character of putting a smile on all its residents, go into oblivion. Bengalureans - we have to fight back.

Apologies to this post, if it does not make sense! Couldn't stop my self from writing this.
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 18:51   #14393
BHPian

Quote:
My understanding is that the toll you pay at Nagasandra end is for the stretch between Nagasandra - Tumkur road toll and not for the elevated expressway.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I too had this question but then they are charging just 20 for cars from the start of the elevated section all the way till Nelamangala. I guess this is the cheapest toll for a wonderfully faster expresssway :-). So it is not just for the bridge but the end to end section you pay for and the rest of the expressway till Nelamangala has been re-asphalted over the past few months anyway.
Totally agree. Rs.20 for this stretch is really worth it, especially after the relaying.
OT - The toll on the Nelamangala - Bellur cross stretch should be scrapped temporarily though, as at least half of the distance has been milled to relay the road and it is really annoying to drive over these stretches. Can't understand why they can't do it in stretches and finish off the work on one entire stretch before proceeding to mill the next stretch.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 07:58   #14394
Distinguished - BHPian

Graphite India signal is a mess thanks to broken down water tanker right at the turning. Avoid if possible!
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 08:05   #14395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeshwantpur - Nagasandra stretch of flyover has been blocked as they are topping up the tarmac. If you are headed towards Nelamangala from city, please avoid as it's a royal mess below the flyover.

Update:
From yesterday, traffic is usual as the NBTL Flyover work has ended and vehicles were allowed to ply. Things are back to normal here now, especially for those using the road below with umpteen signals
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 08:44   #14396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Graphite India signal is a mess thanks to broken down water tanker right at the turning. Avoid if possible!
And right after Hoodi signal and before Zuri hotel, there are two JCBs digging up the road and occupying one lane. Best idea to avoid this entire area. For those coming to PSN, there is no alternative. But if you are going towards ITPL, EPIP area and so please consider alternate routes. Best idea for people coming from KR Puram side is to take Devasandra main road, and then join back ITPL Main road at Hoodi, or continue further and join at Kadugodi.

If you are coming via Marathahalli, its better to go all the way to Borewell road and then enter EPIP area.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 09:56   #14397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Stuck at kundanahalli for the last 45 min. Not moving at all.. looks like a ripple effect of the above.

The driver of the bus in front of me has gone to have a tea. The taxi guy in front is using the time to clean his car
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 10:42   #14398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Stuck at kundanahalli for the last 45 min. Not moving at all.. looks like a ripple effect of the above.

The driver of the bus in front of me has gone to have a tea. The taxi guy in front is using the time to clean his car
You will be stuck mate. I reached office after a 40 min detour and the stupid cops pushing out traffic. There was jam near Klay Prep near Shell bunk so the cop was packing everyone towards Hoodi. This was even more choked as KPTCL is digging the road all the way till Sheraton. Today was ridiculous.
The jam has had a ripple effect and all the roads getting into Whitefield are choked. No idea about Borewell though. It might have slow but "moving" traffic

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 10th August 2017 at 10:43.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:01   #14399
Senior - BHPian

Huge traffic jam from Agara all the way till Sarjapura signal. High density of traffic for people going towards ecospace . It took me 40 mins to reach sarjapur-ORR junction from agara and this being on a bike.

I heard from a friend of mine that traffic on the ORR is backed up till HSR flyover. People travelling this stretch please take note.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:08   #14400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
The jam has had a ripple effect and all the roads getting into Whitefield are choked. No idea about Borewell though. It might have slow but "moving" traffic
At around 1050Hrs the mess is slowly clearing off. But Hope Farm to ITPL was having heavy traffic jam. There was also a VIP movement to the airport which happened at around 1015-1040Hrs, which may also have added to the jam. Vehicles from Marathahalli side would have got blocked near Airport Road-Suranjandas Rd. Jn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks