Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2017, 15:57   #14626
ZMG
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

My office is located right at Silk board and I can see the traffic moving (or not moving) from Electronic city towards Madivala.

And there is a BAD traffic jam from what I see.

Might be due to water logging near Madivala flyover.
ZMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 15:59   #14627
Distinguished - BHPian

Scenes exactly near NICE exit- Hosur road Jn few minutes back.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20171005wa0035.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20171005wa0026.jpg

Due to this, traffic coming from Hosur side is piled up all the way till Jigani/Sai Vishram. Internal routes in EC Phase 1 and 2 also are blocked and I have been so lucky to escape this because I usually drive back home around this time and today I am working from home!!

EDIT: And quite interestingly when I set EC Phase 1 Signal as Origin and Silkboard as destination, Googlemaps said 22 minutes for 7.6 Kms without an idea that traffic is simply not entering Hosur road beyond this signal towards the city and as of now if anyone look at the maps, it shows all green!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg

Hence, do not blindly trust maps today. Please exercise caution before deciding to take unusually free routes.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th October 2017 at 16:21. Reason: hone-->home
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 16:23   #14628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Lots of fun in store. As a Bannerghata road user, perennial rain flooding and huge potholes have become the norm. Those who observe the area just next to the narrow mosque road behind Bosch factory on BG road is in really pathetic shape and can be amongst the worst stretches in Bangalore.

Just hope the Metro construction and the White topping makes life a little easier in the future. Short term pain for long term gain.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 16:36   #14629
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Lots of fun in store. As a Bannerghata road user, perennial rain flooding and huge potholes have become the norm. Those who observe the area just next to the narrow mosque road behind Bosch factory on BG road is in really pathetic shape and can be amongst the worst stretches in Bangalore.

Just hope the Metro construction and the White topping makes life a little easier in the future. Short term pain for long term gain.
I stopped using my car for last one week, usually take this road to reach JP Nagar. This stretch is horrible and no one bothered to take any action. Poor police man puts granite pieces and sand to cover the potholes. Now I am using metro from Baiyappanahalli to JP Nagar.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th October 2017 at 20:57. Reason: Typos, grammar.
balechaparka is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th October 2017, 16:39   #14630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
EDIT: And quite interestingly when I set EC Phase 1 Signal as Origin and Silkboard as destination, Googlemaps said 22 minutes for 7.6 Kms without an idea that traffic is simply not entering Hosur road beyond this signal towards the city and as of now if anyone look at the maps, it shows all green!
Hence, do not blindly trust maps today. Please exercise caution before deciding to take unusually free routes.
That seems to be a "bug" in the way Google Maps determines the traffic levels on the road. It is basically relying on data retrieved from cell phone towers to determine the number of phones available in an area. On a road, so if there are very many phones for a long time; then it assumes that the vehicles on the road are not moving (and thus there is a traffic jam). If it finds out that there are location changes in the cell phones, but at a very slow pace (between two different polls), it determines that the traffic movement is slow.

Water logging is very common at the Railway under bridge at Heelalige. When I had the "local intelligence" input that there was heavy water logging in the bridge, Google Maps showed the area as green in Google Maps. But 600mts away from both sides there was a huge thick red line. The reason was obvious. The vehicles were piling up on both sides of the water logged area (they could not move). The water logged area itself had minimum traffic (as no one was moving ahead).

This may have happened in the example you mentioned. The two end points have thick red lines, the actual water logged area have green lines (no vehicle is moving there any ways).
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 16:50   #14631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
That seems to be a "bug" in the way Google Maps determines the traffic levels on the road. It is basically relying on data retrieved from cell phone towers to determine the number of phones available in an area.
Yes, absolutely aware of this and have discussed this on other threads about maps as well on how even cops stopping 4 cars shows as a mini jam. After all we are the contributors.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th October 2017 at 16:52.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 17:24   #14632
Senior - BHPian

Water logging under hebbal flyover has become a bottle neck if someone has not already reported. I have seen water level rising since 30 days without any solution in place. Today I was returning from the airport and found a motor pumping out water but the situation is so bad, traffic gets piled up right from the flyover start point. It takes over 15 minutes to enter outer ring road just for a 20 meter water logged area. Nothing compared to the silk board pics posted above but low ground clearance vehicles, please be prepared for this mess.

Last edited by shajufx : 5th October 2017 at 17:26.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 17:53   #14633
BHPian

How bad is ORR ( ISRO junction to Sarjapur )? What can i expect if i start now?
Old 5th October 2017, 18:18   #14634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
How bad is ORR ( ISRO junction to Sarjapur )? What can i expect if i start now?
Pretty bad and its right there on maps. Heavy pile up, right from Marathalli Underpass all the way till Sarjapur.

And knowing that a lot of people would also start now for their homes, plus those who have been on road since last 3 hours, expect chaos till you reach your destination.

Evaluate alternate route via Varthur may be, but even internal routes are clogged today.

If you have been a regular commuter between these 2 points, I would say wait for a while (at least 2-3 more hours) and then leave but have less hopes that things will ease up after this too.

In Electronics city, most of the evening shift buses haven't arrived and they have closed entry to the Elevated road as well. Rains have pounded all the areas today, and hit hard because of the timings.
Old 5th October 2017, 18:53   #14635
BHPian

Very first time, I am seeing a jam inside our office basement car parking area. I have seen bad traffic in Manyata since last 10 years or so, but today's traffic is pretty bad. I think this is all because of latest traffic rules brought by BTP to stop the exit from Gate 2. I hope common sense prevails and this will be revoked.
Old 5th October 2017, 19:01   #14636
Senior - BHPian

Koramangala Maharaja Junction closed by cops

Road closed from Wipro Park to Sony World

Road opposite Raheja apartments in Koramangala (Near Wipro Park) is now one way towards the BDA complex
Old 5th October 2017, 19:16   #14637
BHPian

It took me only 2 hours to commute from JP Nagar to HSR Layout via Diary circle.

I could see the the traffic was stand still on Jaydeva flyover. So I took the underpass towards Diary circle. It was almost b2b all the way from my office exit to home (7KMs)
Old 5th October 2017, 19:47   #14638
BHPian

I work at Manyata Tech Park. I got out of my office from H Block exactly @6 pm. I couldn't get out of Manyata till 7.20 pm. Heck, I couldn't even reach the gate (thats near the Indian Oil Petrol Pump). Thats when I lost my patience and came back to office. Considering my time taken when I was on a bike, I can only imagine what pain car owners would have gone through today.

God bless Bangalore. God bless the traffic. or Traff*ck I should say.
LordSharan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 20:43   #14639
BHPian

Contrary to the above posts I had a good time on the road this evening. Left Malleswaram office at 5.15 pm and reached home near Manipal hospital by 5.50pm. One reason was the rains, so not many 2 wheelers and other being a holiday. Had concerns that after the rains the seshadripuram railway underpass might be clogged, but it was ok.
Bad news is work has been initiated at Shivananda Circle by blocking Right most lanes going towards Seshadripuram. I hope its not the steel fly over as this is the only sane route to exit Malleswaram and reach MG Road.

Last edited by sansvk : 5th October 2017 at 20:44.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 20:49   #14640
Distinguished - BHPian

Catastrophic jam on ORR (KRPuram to Hebbal)
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1507216768833.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th October 2017 at 20:50. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed