Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2017, 06:21   #14821
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

President in BLR on 24 & 25 October! CBD & Bellary Road to be impacted.

Please note BTP information below:
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20171024061850.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th October 2017 at 06:23. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 08:37   #14822
BHPian

Feeling
Today Morning, my car front bumper was scuffed by an auto who simply dashed between cross traffic at Silkboard. I asked him to stop, he stared and ran away. Idiot moron. No idea how to avoid such drivers who simply dart in even in cross traffic.

Silkboard signal is mismanaged to a worst extent. Even if Signal from Hosur Rd to ORR (ECity to HSR side) is green, you will have tons of vehicles blocking your way who keep on going on Red. This auto suddenly appeared from behind a SUV and bang on my path. This happened when I was behind 4-5 cars and slow. If my attention was not there, it would have been a hit resulting in broken bumper. I hate them

Last edited by vidyanand : 24th October 2017 at 08:40. Reason: added more info
Old 24th October 2017, 12:04   #14823
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

And here's the newest traffic jam hotspot that was "engineered" to perfection
A new signal has come up soon as you descend the Itermediate/Inner Ring road/Domlur flyover from Koramangala side onto the Indiranagar 100 feet road.
This place used to have slow moving traffic/jams only during peak hours but now it's almost always a jam here, thanks to the signal!
Old 24th October 2017, 14:21   #14824
BHPian

sigh, when can we have something like this in India ??
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...-streets-nepal
Old 24th October 2017, 15:30   #14825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sigh, when can we have something like this in India ??
I really wish this happens sooner than later, but its just about as doable as sorting out the complete mess done to Bangalore in the name of IT revolution

Hell, I have even observed dumb motorists honking at the signal, ambulances, and so on just to get that "Precious" few more inches ahead of the pack.

One thing that really ticks me off the wrong way is when these fools invade my personal space, and park their vehicle so close to mine and honk, expecting the vehicles/people around to disappear magically!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 24th October 2017 at 15:32.
Old 24th October 2017, 18:20   #14826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
....observed dumb motorists honking at the signal, ambulances, and so on just to get that "Precious" few more inches ahead of the pack......honk, expecting the vehicles/people around to disappear magically...
This is not a Bangalore exclusive practice, I see it all over India. My last month visit to Mumbai, I was shocked to hear this non-stop honking exercise right outside the terminal. We dont hear it in Bangalore airport, atleast I have not heard till date. But we are not spared at the tolls where there is no reason to honk. Cabbies think the toll booth guys become superfast when they hear honking ! Worst I saw was a cab guy honking at a 'broke-down' truck on a flyover last week when he has 2 other tracks empty. Other psychotic gang is who start honking when the count down timer is lower than 10 seconds to green. They think everyone else is sleeping on their steering wheel
Old 24th October 2017, 18:31   #14827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Other psychotic gang is who start honking when the count down timer is lower than 10 seconds to green. They think everyone else is sleeping on their steering wheel
Funnily today morning when I was on my way to office I noticed an auto fellow right at the front of the signal had dozed off. It took around 5-6 honks from vehicles behind him to wake him up and then he started his auto and went. Though I don't honk what I have noticed is that people come to the front of the signal by any means and then switch off their vehicles and start browsing their mobiles. When the signal turns green they take their own sweet time keeping their mobiles back in pocket, starting their vehicle and zooming off
Old 24th October 2017, 20:08   #14828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A new signal has come up soon as you descend the Itermediate/Inner Ring road/Domlur flyover from Koramangala side onto the Indiranagar 100 feet road.
This place used to have slow moving traffic/jams only during peak hours but now it's almost always a jam here, thanks to the signal!
Noticed this after Diwali.
Not sure why the space below the existing flyover cannot be converted to make a U turn so that traffic from the Indiranagar side and the cross road can go take a U and enter Domlur/ Doopanahalli?
Old 24th October 2017, 20:29   #14829
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Not sure why the space below the existing flyover cannot be converted to make a U turn so that traffic from the Indiranagar side and the cross road can go take a U and enter Domlur/ Doopanahalli?
I did not understand what you're trying to say. There is no space below the flyover on the Indiranagar side (unlike the Inner Ring road side where there is space under the flyover).
Old 24th October 2017, 21:22   #14830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Christ, just when you think the holy trinity of BBMP/BTP/political class have hit rock bottom, the digging starts again! Who installs traffic lights right where you descend from a flyover?! Not only will it clog traffic but also pose a safety hazard.
Old 24th October 2017, 21:35   #14831
BHPian

The govt. wants to make as much money as possible by handing out such contracts. I cannot see any other explanation for it.

In other news, completed 1 day of commuting by a car. Phew, quite a step up in the amount of time required.
Old 24th October 2017, 21:51   #14832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Who installs traffic lights right where you descend from a flyover?!.
I have seen new shops construct a new speed breaker to ensure people notice and stop at the shop. If someone doesn't want to spend money on tar and concrete to build it just find the cheapest option.They dig a cutting across the road to bring the same effect. Such is the sad state of affairs in Bangalore.Seriously this city is suffering at the ineptitude of BBMP and politicians.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 08:00   #14833
Distinguished - BHPian

Work begins on 2nd loop of Hebbal flyover to ease city-bound traffic

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-618xnx639281_thump.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0ktaxpksjd.jpg

Some snippets:
  • The Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) has begun the work on adding an additional loop to the Hebbal flyover to ease traffic congestion towards the city

• The work on the loop will be completed in 15 months (January 2019) and is estimated to cost Rs 50 crore

• “Piling machinery has reached the building site and the work started on Tuesday,”

• The BDA is also building an underpass at the junction (from KR Puram side towards Tumkur Road)

Talk about a hurried solution :

Quote:
The BDA official, however, conceded that widening the flyover was a temporary solution. The passenger car unit (PCU), which stood at 30,000 in 2016, has gone up to 50,000. It will increase further in the coming days
And brace yourselves to face it all in coming days

Quote:
The construction is likely to cause traffic snarls in front of Esteem Mall and towards Hebbal. “We have told the traffic police to close the roads as and when required,” Nayak said.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 08:27   #14834
BHPian

Quote:
Christ, just when you think the holy trinity of BBMP/BTP/political class have hit rock bottom, the digging starts again! Who installs traffic lights right where you descend from a flyover?! Not only will it clog traffic but also pose a safety hazard.
We have in Chennai. A classic case is the ranganathan street junction on Usman road where the flyover ends just before the pedestrian crossing which has a highly sense and continuous flow of pedestrians. If they had ended the flyover 50 meters ahead, pedestrians could have crossed under the bridge!
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 08:48   #14835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When we could have a signal right in the middle of a Flyover (erstwhile Richmond circle flyover) this is nothing. The next such place where I expect such a signal lamp will be in the Kadirenahalli. That underpass is one among the many constructions by BDA which is made keeping common sense aside. From Chennamma circle side, Soon after the Underpass while going towards JPNagar, there is a crossing for people coming from Banashankari side and going towards Kumaraswamy layout Chennamma circle. There is always a traffice bottleneck due to this. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if a signal lamp comes up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Work begins on 2nd loop of Hebbal flyover to ease city-bound traffic

Attachment 1689183

Some snippets:
  • The Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) has begun the work on adding an additional loop to the Hebbal flyover to ease traffic congestion towards the city

• The work on the loop will be completed in 15 months (January 2019) and is estimated to cost Rs 50 crore

• “Piling machinery has reached the building site and the work started on Tuesday,”

• The BDA is also building an underpass at the junction (from KR Puram side towards Tumkur Road)

Talk about a hurried solution :

And brace yourselves to face it all in coming days
Earlier the traffic coming from Airport and from KRPuram side towards the city would merge, creating a jam in the process. This additional traffic from this new lane would also merge to this chaos and create mayhem.

Till we have discipline in our driving, no solution will help
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed