Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2017, 21:31   #14956
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

On Thursday last week, traffic cops were supervising some work on the median of Inner ring road near Madurai idly/the new pedestrian walkway that is coming up there. They have installed large concrete block sections on the median (blocks resemble the ones used to build medians elsewhere in the city, but larger). This now serves two purposes:1. Prevents Two wheelers from making illegal U turns and 2. Prevents pedestrians from crossing the road.
Hopefully, the new walkway will be thrown open to public soon.
On Monday I also noticed that similar concrete sections have been placed near the pedestrian walkway at the end of 100 feet road near the flyover, on the road coming from Domlur/ESI hospital. They have placed these blocks in a curved shape so that anyone reaching the 100 feet road junction is forced to turn left Earlier they tried with metal barricades and it did not deter motorists from making illegal right turns at the junction. Hope this is a lasting solution.

Last edited by NPV : 20th November 2017 at 21:32.
Old 21st November 2017, 08:46   #14957
BHPian

Not sure if this was posted in TBhp earlier.
Thoughts about the Odd-Even policy for Bangalore.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61701704.cms
Old 21st November 2017, 10:26   #14958
BHPian

Seems the flyover work from Ejipura signal to st johns is all set to begin. First causality is the Ejipura signal. Half the road width on either sides is now barricaded resulting in major traffic pile up from EGL to Ejipura signal yesterday evening. With more such barricades expected to come up in further stretches of this road ,things are going to get tough for the regular commuters on this stretch.
Old 21st November 2017, 10:35   #14959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I'm using the QuickRide car pooling app from January 2017. Half the expense of my monthly fuel bill is contributed by the point rewards from QuickRide.
Any potential issues with RTO. We can expect them to play spoil sport. I have downloaded the app and I see a few profiles that stay on my route (I can offer rides), and match timings atleast in the evening. How does this monthly fuel bill thing work? Are we tied down to their petrocard?

Cheers,
Ajay
Old 21st November 2017, 11:04   #14960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Thoughts about the Odd-Even policy for Bangalore.
The thoughts shared by the anonymous police official pretty much sums it up. This rule is very much impractical any where in India. Even in Delhi, the grand plan to restart this got abandoned even before it took off (after some quasi-judicial bodies ruled against it).

If there has to be lesser vehicles on the road, there has to be a better alternate system in place. Better public transport system, as well as the major job providers in the city having better working options as well.
Old 21st November 2017, 11:46   #14961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Better public transport system
This is a pipe dream. By the time this is done, the world would have undergone radical changes. The "system" would still be "work in progress".

Quote:
as well as the major job providers in the city having better working options as well.
I would be happy if the job providers move out of the city once and for all to other cities ignoring "Invest here..." slogans. That is the only solution to solve the mess here.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:04   #14962
Senior - BHPian

I would like to protest against odd-even rule in Bengaluru. Both my cars have even numbers :(
Forget just the office going travel, it disrupts everything else without alternatives. Only option left would be to hire a taxi. 80% of time I work from home and walk anytime I have to go within 2 kms.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:18   #14963
Team-BHP Support

Odd-even won't work here. It struggled in Delhi which actually has a fully-functional Metro and a pretty good road network.

All we've got is a token Metro and already overburdened BMTC running on moonscapes masquerading as roads.

Won't fly.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 22:53   #14964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I would be happy if the job providers move out of the city once and for all to other cities ignoring "Invest here..." slogans. That is the only solution to solve the mess here.
Don't expect the KA government (and politicians) to do any such move. Every political chap out there is in this scheme, especially if it involves "real estate". They may know that they they are killing the goose laying the golden eggs, but what the heck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I would like to protest against odd-even rule in Bengaluru. Both my cars have even numbers :(
From what I see around me. If such a scheme comes up; pretty much only half of the large team (including me) which I have would be turning up every day. The other half may turn up, but very late (and may want to leave early as well). IT companies would have to revise their "work from home" policies for sure. This again, would not be a very pleasing task for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Odd-even won't work here. It struggled in Delhi which actually has a fully-functional Metro and a pretty good road network.
Even in Delhi this scheme was thrown out by various quasi-judicial agencies. They did not even wait for another "pilot study". So in Bangalore, this may not even take off. Though I personally feel they should try it; just to make sure every one out there understand & experience the chaos.
Old 21st November 2017, 23:20   #14965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So in Bangalore, this may not even take off.
State assembly election is after few months. I would doubt that the incumbent government will implement odd-even in Bengaluru and invite wrath of the public before election.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:01   #14966
BHPian

Slightly OT but seen it happen 1/2 hr ago. Near Bren Avalon on the way to Whitefield. I was stuck in traffic and an argument ensued between an Activa rider and a KTM rider in full gear. KTMs are usually driven very badly by their drivers owing to their lightweight and they are quite blatant and arrogant about it. Anyway , the present case the Activa was pissed off due to the KTM cutting him off somewhere behind and the gent was probably a local which was clearly visible from his aggressive body language and his fist clenched and upright thumb. The biker was not interested and said something mostly in English or Hindi which makes me think he was a non-local.
I could not catch what he said but the Activa rider was clearly aggravated. Now this is a usual scene happens across the city many times. But what happened next was surprising. The Activa rider took the key of the bike and just slipped away in traffic and the biker was standing there dumbfounded. There was so much of traffic that there was little he could do or the onlooking bikers who wanted to help.
The Activa rider local gent was not seen at all and wonder what he did with the keys of the KTM.
Scary possibilities emerge and the biker was stranded. Maybe he deserved the punishment and a mouthful was probably said by the Activa rider but taking his keys away was just shocking.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:57   #14967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Slightly OT but seen it happen 1/2 hr ago. Near Bren Avalon on the way to Whitefield. I was stuck in traffic and an argument ensued between an Activa rider and a KTM rider in full gear. KTMs are usually driven very badly by their drivers owing to their lightweight and they are quite blatant and arrogant about it. Anyway , the present case the Activa was pissed off due to the KTM cutting him off somewhere behind and the gent was probably a local which was clearly visible from his aggressive body language and his fist clenched and upright thumb. The biker was not interested and said something mostly in English or Hindi which makes me think he was a non-local.
I could not catch what he said but the Activa rider was clearly aggravated. Now this is a usual scene happens across the city many times. But what happened next was surprising. The Activa rider took the key of the bike and just slipped away in traffic and the biker was standing there dumbfounded. There was so much of traffic that there was little he could do or the onlooking bikers who wanted to help.
The Activa rider local gent was not seen at all and wonder what he did with the keys of the KTM.
Scary possibilities emerge and the biker was stranded. Maybe he deserved the punishment and a mouthful was probably said by the Activa rider but taking his keys away was just shocking.
This is scary!! I once had an activa guy chase me because I didnt allow him to go first in carmelaram junction. That guy chased and stopped his activa in front of my car after crossing the carmelaram flyover. I was not having anything of it. I reversed the car and then went forward past his activa, because I was not in a mood to fight over this thing for no fault of mine. Also it was around 11pm and i was really tired. Dont know what made him angry, when I reversed the car, the guy took one of the hot
and big kadai vessel from the roadside eatery and hurled it at my car.
Luckily it didnt hit my car and I escaped this situation. In recent times, I am seeing many Bangalore locals ( no offense to anyone), picking up a fight over anything in road and want to threaten the non locals. Not sure if this is a tactic of getting money from the non locals. One advice from my side, avoid any kind of fight or verbal altercations even if we are not at fault , in Bangalore. Its simply not worth our time.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:34   #14968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
This is scary!! I once had an activa guy chase me because I didnt allow him to go first in carmelaram junction. That guy chased and stopped his activa in front of my car after crossing the carmelaram flyover. I was not having anything of it. I reversed the car and then went forward past his activa, because I was not in a mood to fight over this thing for no fault of mine. Also it was around 11pm and i was really tired. Dont know what made him angry, when I reversed the car, the guy took one of the hot
and big kadai vessel from the roadside eatery and hurled it at my car.
Luckily it didnt hit my car and I escaped this situation. In recent times, I am seeing many Bangalore locals ( no offense to anyone), picking up a fight over anything in road and want to threaten the non locals. Not sure if this is a tactic of getting money from the non locals. One advice from my side, avoid any kind of fight or verbal altercations even if we are not at fault , in Bangalore. Its simply not worth our time.
I have been also stopped a year back and actually I was dragged into a fight. The guy yelled some abuses and naively I responded which started the argument. This was at 5 pm on Old Airport Road , Murgeshpalya junction. When I kept my stand about going with that chap to the bike place and getting his pseudo damaged plastics repaired he backed out. On top of that my car is MH registered which screams outsider. The usual MO of these folk who are smart thieves is to gang up on people mostly not speaking Kannada folk and then exhort a quick buck. They will try to intimidate in all ways possible.
To avoid this do not react in any way at all to verbal provocation especially if you have not done anything. If you are forced to come out of the car , make sure the key is secured and the things like cellphones and office laptops are safely kept and then come outside the car. Do not show any signs of anger and most of the times when the claim is for money offer to replace the part by taking the person to the service station.
In my case I spoke very calmly and logically and since my car also has a few dents I said that the perpetrator would have to come with me to the service station and get it repaired.
Mostly calm and logic can defeat this faux aggression for extortion.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:51   #14969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
In recent times, I am seeing many Bangalore locals ( no offense to anyone), picking up a fight over anything in road and want to threaten the non locals.
This is an outcome of widening gap between have & have nots, which gets further aggravated when non-locals appear to have more material resources.
As a matter of fact, most of the non-locals, who migrate to Bangalore, are in IT/white collar jobs. On the surface it gives an impression that one has good earnings and lifestyle, this can easily cause frustration among locals who do not have decent source of earnings/jobs.

In India, no one is afraid of law and people are free to take out their frustration for smallest of the reasons.

This is not the Bangalore I came to live in last century, unfortunately, this is the way of life now!
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:08   #14970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
This is an outcome of widening gap between have & have nots, which gets further aggravated when non-locals appear to have more material resources.
As a matter of fact, most of the non-locals, who migrate to Bangalore, are in IT/white collar jobs. On the surface it gives an impression that one has good earnings and lifestyle, this can easily cause frustration among locals who do not have decent source of earnings/jobs.

In India, no one is afraid of law and people are free to take out their frustration for smallest of the reasons.

This is not the Bangalore I came to live in last century, unfortunately, this is the way of life now!
Agree 110%. This is so true and this situation is not going to better any soon and seems to worsen.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed