Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:14   #14971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
In recent times, I am seeing many Bangalore locals ( no offense to anyone), picking up a fight over anything in road and want to threaten the non locals. Not sure if this is a tactic of getting money from the non locals. One advice from my side, avoid any kind of fight or verbal altercations even if we are not at fault , in Bangalore. Its simply not worth our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
As a matter of fact, most of the non-locals, who migrate to Bangalore, are in IT/white collar jobs.
I slightly disagree. I am a localite and been here since my birth. But even I am not spared. I have been accosted many times by couple of two wheelers and in another incident an auto because I didnt give them space to cut across or something like that. A TVS 50 guy stopped my car and came across agressively and told me that since I drive I need to behave properly and give way to 2 wheelers always. And it is not just me few of my friends too have met similar fate. When they fight they do not see from where they are . All they care about is how they react.

Quote:
In India, no one is afraid of law and people are free to take out their frustration for smallest of the reasons.

This is not the Bangalore I came to live in last century, unfortunately, this is the way of life now!
Unfortunately I agree to both of these statement of yours. People know that they can escape the law as there are many loopholes or sometimes they give a damn to them. I don't know about other cities and people behavior there but in Bangalore definitely it has gone down significantly.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:15   #14972
BHPian

Quote:
This is an outcome of widening gap between have & have nots, which gets further aggravated when non-locals appear to have more material resources.
As a matter of fact, most of the non-locals, who migrate to Bangalore, are in IT/white collar jobs. On the surface it gives an impression that one has good earnings and lifestyle, this can easily cause frustration among locals who do not have decent source of earnings/jobs.

In India, no one is afraid of law and people are free to take out their frustration for smallest of the reasons.

This is not the Bangalore I came to live in last century, unfortunately, this is the way of life now!
This is true but sad reality. Bangalore has changed a lot and its changing everyday. Once a beautiful and welcoming city is now having all sorts of problems which I never wished to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
To avoid this do not react in any way at all to verbal provocation especially if you have not done anything. If you are forced to come out of the car , make sure the key is secured and the things like cellphones and office laptops are safely kept and then come outside the car. Do not show any signs of anger and most of the times when the claim is for money offer to replace the part by taking the person to the service station.
In my case I spoke very calmly and logically and since my car also has a few dents I said that the perpetrator would have to come with me to the service station and get it repaired.
Mostly calm and logic can defeat this faux aggression for extortion.
Agreed with your views. To add to that, I always keep my windows closed. Even if one is not at fault, there are chances that the person may come to beat you or snatch the keys of your vehicle. Keeping the windows raised, provides safety and also most of the times, the windows dont get damaged if someone bangs. If 2 wheelers, if you are stopped by police or anyone, please take the key and keep it with you. No one has the authority to snatch the keys.

I also got remembered of one more unfortunate incident. While overtaking a car near Dommasandra, a 2 wheeler from opposite side also wanted to overtake and come fast. He was driving a bit rash and he came close to my car. Seems like his ego was hurt. For that he spit his gutka filled saliva on my right side view mirror!!

Washed my car with dettol later. I have been in Bangalore since 2015 and later now to hosur. When I first came, i used to be very angry and my BP shot high. After realizing that shouting at people doesnt help or makes sense, nowadays I dont bother and mind my own business.

Hope better sense prevails.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:37   #14973
BHPian

This grand and most celebrated thread is about to hit 1000 pages. We need to plan something to celebrate this occasion. Meetup at Thursday evening in front of Ecospace on ORR at 7 pm where we will take a procession to KR puram and return back and end at Silkboard
neeravnaik is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:50   #14974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
Meetup at Thursday evening in front of Ecospace on ORR at 7 pm where we will take a procession to KR puram and return back and end at Silkboard
We need to get a headcount for the number of participants because we will have to arrange accommodation for an overnight stay somewhere near Doddanekundi Junction too .

1000 Pages of ranting and one of the major reasons for this apart from the proud traffic density and exponential population growth would be the sheer number of BHPians from Bangalore compared to other cities. So quite easily this is a good reason for this thread to live really long (and Strong).
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:59   #14975
BHPian

Quote:
This grand and most celebrated thread is about to hit 1000 pages. We need to plan something to celebrate this occasion. Meetup at Thursday evening in front of Ecospace on ORR at 7 pm where we will take a procession to KR puram and return back and end at Silkboard
Immediately after this 'trip', we will hit 2000 pages.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:00   #14976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Any potential issues with RTO. We can expect them to play spoil sport. I have downloaded the app and I see a few profiles that stay on my route (I can offer rides), and match timings atleast in the evening. How does this monthly fuel bill thing work? Are we tied down to their petrocard?
You have two options, one to redeem it into your paytm wallet once it crosses 300 rupees or request a fuel card. I do the former and just spend it on some mobile recharge/toll etc. I havent requested the petro card since my earnings in QuickRide is hardly anywhere close to what I spend on fuel.

The app is supported by the Traffic Police and in one of the motives its clearly stated that you are sharing the fuel costs with friends and not making a profit/commercial venture out of it. Hence, the RTO should better not interfere into this. Neither can they, since we are not running yellow board vehicles which they can flag down and inspect. Technically, you are transporting your 'friends' along with you.

Quote:
Slightly OT but seen it happen 1/2 hr ago. Near Bren Avalon on the way to Whitefield. I was stuck in traffic and an argument ensued between an Activa rider and a KTM rider in full gear. KTMs are usually driven very badly by their drivers owing to their lightweight and they are quite blatant and arrogant about it.
Scary possibilities emerge and the biker was stranded. Maybe he deserved the punishment and a mouthful was probably said by the Activa rider but taking his keys away was just shocking.
That entire stretch between KR Puram to Bellandur beyond the ring road is filled with some illiterate chaps who have no traffic sense and neither do they respect the rules. They do what they feel is right and dont heed to any sort of enforcement. Even the traffic police have a tough time here. The cabbies take advantage of this and add up to the mess, since they will find support from other rule breakers and can make their way out of scenes where they were at fault. I generally drive defensively within this region but however, dont believe in giving them any right of way. Maybe because my car is KA registered, I havent been confronted much, and when a cabbie tries to confront, a stiff "Yenu?"(Whats the matter) has worked It even worked when I accidentally creeped into a bike from behind and stopped only after touching his rear tyre. They usually nod off and continue on their own way. Apart from this, I just keep my windows rolled up and continue on my way. And this image of KTM riders was one of the main reasons I did not look further at the brand. So according to the morons in these areas, if you are on a Duke you are always at fault.

Quote:
Can we please postpone this to when the 1000 pages are reached? I would love to join but currently not in Bangalore. We can form a convoy of cars and teach people on the ORR how to drive in a straight line within a lane.

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd November 2017 at 15:01.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:01   #14977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I slightly disagree. I am a localite and been here since my birth. But even I am not spared. .
I think as someone already so rightly pointed out its more or less a fight between the have and have-nots. The cherry on the cake is not knowing the local language while arguing or countering the aggressor. There is a tendency of ganging up when the language is not known. Incidentally my wife is very fluent in Kannada and once when an auto driver confronted us that we had halted at a traffic signal and he wanted to push himself through. He got down and came aggressively towards our car but the moment he realised that the language ruse aint working with my wife giving it back to him in Kannada he went back quietly.
Even though I learn the local language , the have and have-not divide just cannot be bridged and learning a language should be out of respect for that language and not for use it as a medium to abuse and fight
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:06   #14978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Get ready
I am happy that an ill-designed structure is coming down. Usually, these structures have a life of many decades. This one I think was completed in 2006. Glad that it is coming down so early.
These structures prove BDA is incompetent to design roads.

Last edited by msdivy : 22nd November 2017 at 15:08.
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:08   #14979
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about the have and have not theory. Lot of people on the ORR stretch might have more than what you think haves have

I have got into lot of issues with people on road and being a local has not helped me in avoiding it. Its all about dont care and care about oneself and nothing to lose and have everything to lose kind of mindset.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:25   #14980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98
The biker was not interested and said something mostly in English or Hindi which makes me think he was a non-local.
I could very well visualise this entire event. Not even knowing very basics of the local language, I feel would always leave that person at a disadvantage. One thing it clearly gives an indication that this person is not a localite, may not have any clout can be cowed down easily. Next is the fact, that when some one is aggreived all he may be wanting is to be listened out. But the other party is just ignoring him, and even using a different language to respond. It may irritate him even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko
In recent times, I am seeing many Bangalore locals ( no offense to anyone), picking up a fight over anything in road and want to threaten the non locals. Not sure if this is a tactic of getting money from the non locals.
This may not be a very recent phenomenon. The main reason is that such fights helps the locals get an ego boost. They can bash up some other man, and gloat about it. Next would be the crime angle, which is to pick up fights and rob people. Such a scheme was put to use very effectively around 8-9 years back when the Sarjapur-Haralur road was very much deserted. The IT folks (from EC side) had started using the road extensively and such scams started as well. HSR L&O Police then had to put extra bike patrols in this area. In 2-3 months the menace stopped, which also gave me a feeling that it was a local job, and the police had identified who the culprits were.

It may not be a Bangalore specific aspect, as I have also heard about the "highway robberies" which happened in Ramanagara, and more frequently on the Yelwala-Gonikoppal-Kutta stretches as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya
As a matter of fact, most of the non-locals, who migrate to Bangalore, are in IT/white collar jobs. On the surface it gives an impression that one has good earnings and lifestyle, this can easily cause frustration among locals who do not have decent source of earnings/jobs.
The city itself is now consisting of islands (large apartment blocks, mainly taken up by IT types), and the bigger ocean (where the Mannine magas live their life). I specifically grouped the IT types to Islands, because of the "isolated" life style which is maintained by them. When this is how people live, the gaps between the two groups are only going to widen further. I don't know where Bangalore lost this; but many of the people who come here also generally prefer to stay in their own groups, make money (with perhaps hoping to get back to their home towns). Due to this behaviour, the new-comers also cannot be any vote bank or pressure group, which can work with the politicos to make the city a better place. They may have their "Halloween", "New Year bash","Thanksgiving" in their own little islands, but that is all.

Bangalore always had people migrating from other parts of India, and finally settling down here. HAL,BEL,ISRO,BEML,ITI; all of these big PSUs had a presence here. But may be in those days, when some one joined a PSU in Bangalore it was known that he would retire from there only. And with that knowledge in mind, even the new comers would have find time and inclination to mix with the rest of the society.

Last edited by sachinpk : 22nd November 2017 at 15:27.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:31   #14981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think as someone already so rightly pointed out its more or less a fight between the have and have-nots. The cherry on the cake is not knowing the local language while arguing or countering the aggressor.
What I missed to point out is exactly the opposite. Few years back the fight used to be mostly with have and have not's plus on the language. These days its mostly to satisfy their own ego/pride and not accepting mistakes or showing consideration. Language, money doesn't count for anything except probably help in escaping from law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am not sure about the have and have not theory. Lot of people on the ORR stretch might have more than what you think haves have

I have got into lot of issues with people on road and being a local has not helped me in avoiding it. Its all about dont care and care about oneself and nothing to lose and have everything to lose kind of mindset.
+1 to this. As the population has increased in bangalore, people fighting for an inch of space on the road has increased manifold. Last weekend I was driving my car in a crowded area (food street in VV Puram).
For people who are not aware it looks like this :
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-food-street.jpg

One gentleman was going slowly and then suddenly double parked expecting the traffic behind him to somehow manage to pass his car. While passing his car with great difficulty I suggested him to proceed ahead and park at some other place. To my surprise he shouted at me with arrogance saying that its his wish to park wherever he wants as its a public road. That he was past 50 and close to 60 years of age is what made me more surprised!

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 22nd November 2017 at 15:32.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:46   #14982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Last weekend I was driving my car in a crowded area (food street in VV Puram).
You drove through food street and lived to tell the tale???
Man you must have the patience of a monk and the reflexes of a cat! May you live long and teach us mere mortals your secrets.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 22nd November 2017 at 15:48.
rajathv8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:09   #14983
BHPian

Quote:
Lot of people on the ORR stretch might have more than what you think haves have
The "IT sort" of guys are having less than some of the "have nots" are having now a days.

Quote:
Agree with this. Being a Kannadiga and who can perfectly talk in the lingo they can understand , I have gotten into issues on road as well which were rather unpleasant. It is not the question of language, gender or status when it comes to such behaviour on the road. It is more like a rat race where all the rats are drunk.

I have stopped arguing nowadays with such guys because one never knows what sort of people we are dealing with.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:16   #14984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
You drove through food street and lived to tell the tale???
Man you must have the patience of a monk and the reflexes of a cat! May you live long and teach us mere mortals your secrets.
Haha I stay 2 mins from that place and will be driving/riding on that street at-least twice a week (though I mostly avoid it during weekends). But yeah driving there is very tricky. One has to not only manage not hitting people but also not hitting whatever they are carrying else we invoke all the bad juju from the food gods !
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:05   #14985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I am happy that an ill-designed structure is coming down. Usually, these structures have a life of many decades. This one I think was completed in 2006. Glad that it is coming down so early.
These structures prove BDA is incompetent to design roads.
Why would you say that you are happy about it and flyover at Jayadeva junction was ill designed? At least this was making the junction almost signal free, which otherwise would be chaotic. Only relief is that the underpass will be still there. It's going to be a hell there for next few months/years.

I don't think the reason for demolition is the bad design, but the protest (or rather bribery) from nearby property owners like Jayadeva hospital. Otherwise, they could've constructed metro station without touching the flyover.

Last edited by Midas : 22nd November 2017 at 17:07.

Most Viewed