Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 20:06   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Bangalore lacks the 'consideration for others', 'respect for others', road sense, citizen responsibility, that were seen upto few years back. Now what you see on the road is just a reflection of all that. So, before it gets totally out of hand, its better to do something. Individual efforts are the 'trend setting' things that can succeed, nothing else ! If everyone can contribute something to it, it becomes a successful attempt.
One suggestion - Why not start spreading awareness and responsibility among our colleagues? Most of the cars and two-wheelers on the Hosur Road towards electronic city are driven/ridden by the techies right?(and break the rules sometimes!) We can speak to the HRs, conduct awareness camps, etc. This could be the best thing done by a bunch of people like us adding a feather to the cap of T-BHP.

Just thinking out loud!

OT:
In front of my office, there is a clear and large board which says, no right turn. But still people make the right turn and drive on the wrong side! I am going to mail about this to my HR too with some pictures as proof!
Old 26th March 2009, 20:09   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
One suggestion - Why not start spreading awareness and responsibility among our colleagues? Most of the cars and two-wheelers on the Hosur Road towards electronic city are driven/ridden by the techies right?(and break the rules sometimes!) We can speak to the HRs, conduct awareness camps, etc. This could be the best thing done by a bunch of people like us adding a feather to the cap of T-BHP.

Just thinking out loud!

OT:
In front of my office, there is a clear and large board which says, no right turn. But still people make the right turn and drive on the wrong side! I am going to mail about this to my HR too with some pictures as proof!
Now we are talking
Old 26th March 2009, 20:28   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hence, to respect the sentiments of native residents of the city, I suggest the place to be dropped from thread title and replaced by 'Indian traffic'.
I never felt this thread is about bashing on Bangalore traffic. People who come out with ideas to solve traffic issues could very well contribute (thats exactly what I have posted about the traffic wardon and home guard etc.) and make a difference here. Its not just reporting an issue, but also finding a solution, that we make a difference as team-bhp. Can we do that ? Offcourse we can, we have enough people to group up and think about some serious solutions to the issues around, be it traffic, be it social work, be it motivating the public, anything !

None of the discussions are supposed to hurt any sentiments regardless of anyone is a native or a foreigner. Infact, I have come across many so-called 'outsiders' taking more interest in social works and public awareness that are pure selfless service without any reward. So, lets not categorize people on colour, creed or state, it doesnt make any sense.

You think the change of name from 'Bangalore' to 'bengaluru' is liked by all natives ? If you believe its a YES, you have no clue what is the soul of the public here. My interactions are mostly with senior citizens whose 5 or more generations are born and brought up here. Some of them have designed this city itself, trust me, I am not joking. Some of them have seen the present 'outer ring road' as a 3 feet mud road full of trees and thieves ! Travelling through certain roads within the city itself was fearful as many areas were isolated. Right now we hardly find a place without traffic. Think about this: you are in the middle of traffic crowd, you get a cardiac arrest or robbed by someone. You scream out loud, do you expect someone will come to your help ? Frightfully NO ! So, tell me what difference it makes from 50 years back to the present day ? Those days it was lack of people around and plenty of thieves, now its too many people around but none have time for others, and we have highly skilled thieves too

Extend your helping hand to others. Talk less and lets do something practical. We have no other choice to continue having a quality life around.

Quote:
One suggestion - Why not start spreading awareness and responsibility among our colleagues?
There is already a huge awareness session taking place regularly both from the Govt and social organizations. We as a club visited 500 schools giving awareness classes and organized road satety programmes in MNCs, Banks, Public sector organisations. But its just a drop in the sea. Offcourse, team-bhp can do a lot of things. If we dont do it, someone else will do that for sure. If this forum needs a back up of one of the prestigeous 39 year old club, I am all open to do anything in that line. I have posted the same idea many many pages back on this thread itself.

Let the ideas flow, let Bangalore shine in its full glory, being a model city to others as well !
Old 26th March 2009, 20:44   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajsh View Post
Oh so now you have a problem with the name huh ? go on go on
There is nothing to go on and go on. I am writing something here thinking someone will join us in our efforts. If you cant do that, be happy with picking up something from everyone's post. Looks like you have plenty of time to spare. Want to join me for a 6 hour seminar next week ? Should be ready to stand in the hot sun for 2 hours ! I talk about what I do, not what I see.
Old 26th March 2009, 20:52   #560
BHPian

I dont blame the city or the infrastructure; I feel if people are a bit disciplined it will make a world of difference.

With our enconomy boom I guess we all will face this situation in every city we live in India hence lets not blame Bangalore.

Few things which I feel effects our City a lot:
People don't really have a liking and oneness for this place, hence dont care much.

People here are just to make money as most weekends they travel to their hometowns.

Have seen Cops sticking to the rule book but they are far too less from this bandwagon.

Most people just dont want to follow rules and are not disciplined; they dont want too.

Locals villagers who have sold land, see huge amount of finance overnight they buy cars / bikes and don't adhere to any rules as they feel they have money power.
Old 26th March 2009, 21:02   #561
Senior - BHPian

How many of you are aware of this notification from the city police ?
Quote:
It is noticed that two wheelers riders are riding on foot path recklessly. A drive against the such riders will be conducted. The offenders' vehicles would be seized and their licences would be produced before the RTO for suspension.
The members of public are requested to inform the control room or the following E-mail address and Fax No. whenever notice such nuisense.
E- mail : dcptre@gmail.com
Fax No.22860787
Source ::www.bcp.gov.in -Traffic Alerts ::
More personal numbers (mobile numbers) are requested for publication, since common landline numbers are always at 'no response' mode. So, there are many things happening around us.

Last edited by shajufx : 26th March 2009 at 21:04.
Old 26th March 2009, 21:07   #562
Senior - BHPian

Shaju, Spitfire : Guys, hats off to you for actually doing/trying to do something that would really make a difference to the city. I would also like to join you in any endeavor which would make Bangalore (or any other place in India for that matter) a better place.
If there is anything I can do, count me in.
Lets make a difference.
Old 26th March 2009, 21:21   #563
BANNED

Thats interesting. Maybe you should start a thread on that. Many would be interested and jump-in. I guess this info in this thread doesn't do justice to your group's efforts.
Quote:
Can we do that ? Offcourse we can, we have enough people to group up and think about some serious solutions to the issues around, be it traffic, be it social work, be it motivating the public, anything !
My humble suggestion was to drop 'Bangalore' from thread title and replace with 'India' - and still all the posts would be relevant.

The city of Saint Petersburg became Petrograd and then Leningrad and now its again Saint Petersburg. And it doesn't bother me. So what's in a name?
Quote:
You think the change of name from 'Bangalore' to 'bengaluru' is liked by all natives ? If you believe its a YES, you have no clue what is the soul of the public here.
I guess YES ! People would still help. But I am interested how your group will tackle this case of 'enabling people to help others'.
Quote:
Think about this: you are in the middle of traffic crowd, you get a cardiac arrest or robbed by someone. You scream out loud, do you expect someone will come to your help ? Frightfully NO ! So, tell me what difference it makes from 50 years back to the present day ? Those days it was lack of people around and plenty of thieves, now its too many people around but none have time for others, and we have highly skilled thieves too
. But somebody must listen & implement those ideas...That will happen corruption is reined in. Thats a tall order.
Quote:
Let the ideas flow, let Bangalore shine in its full glory, being a model city to others as well !
Thats great and commendable effort. But out of place in 'Traffic Ranting' thread.
Quote:
Looks like you have plenty of time to spare. Want to join me for a 6 hour seminar next week ? Should be ready to stand in the hot sun for 2 hours ! I talk about what I do, not what I see.
Old 26th March 2009, 22:24   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Shaju, Spitfire : Guys, hats off to you for actually doing/trying to do something that would really make a difference to the city.
I dont do anything buddy. My club is 39 years old and we have majority of people above 55 years. I cant sit idle when I see people of that age come out with so much of charisma and motivation. I am on the learning stage from the aged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Thats interesting. Maybe you should start a thread on that. Many would be interested and jump-in. I guess this info in this thread doesn't do justice to your group's efforts.
Yes I realise I am on the wrong thread ! Thanks.

Quote:
The city of Saint Petersburg became Petrograd and then Leningrad and now its again Saint Petersburg. And it doesn't bother me. So what's in a name?
Thats a topic of debate. We had fun when the name changing had happend with a very powerful but healthy debate among the members (we have 2 vice chancellors, 4 doctors, many aged designers, senior govt officials, many advocates and many business heads in our group -90% natives- !), so you can imagine the fun we had. I had a stomach pain laughing for an hour or long. The interesting dialogue was like this (changing for easier understanding); "I am Shaju for 37 years, my neighbours forcefully change my name to 'shengarajulu' when I am 40, would I love them, hate them, kill them....?" The city is not a human being, so many are saved.

Quote:
But I am interested how your group will tackle this case of 'enabling people to help others'.
Its not really enabling people to help others, but setting up emergency services just with a call that will execute its duty within 5 mts flat anywhere in the city. Dial 1062 is just an example Ambulance service Bangalore - CTC SANJEEVINI - 1062 There are more such services launched and about to launch. Govt has signed up an agreement with EMRI (Emergency Management and Research Institute) thats targetting 517 ambulances since November 2008. Its Dial 108. But these are all health related back ups. What about robbery ? Yes there is a solution to that too. Rotating 'LIVE' cameras at many points in the city, which will serve as traffic control and robbery control. There is a huge limitation to that solution, because it will still leave many areas unattended. We are breaking our brains collectively to reach a solution. If we depend too much on 'machines' and 'cameras' around, it will be like a city controlled by 'robots', no human touch. We considered using 'Hijdas', employing them to assist law & order, but they are outnumbered unlike Mumbai or Delhi.

I will update this part after the next week seminar.
Happy UGADI to everyone here !
Old 17th April 2009, 09:16   #565
BHPian

Apt article,
Reset mindsets | nammabengaluru.com
Old 17th April 2009, 11:39   #566
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajsh View Post
Thats a stupid article. Its like turn a blind eye to the lack of traffic sense in the city because it has the highest percipitaion (leading to potholes so we have to leave with it) and that there are good places to visit in the city.

The percipitaion figures he has got from are wrong. LOL.

The article gives no suggetion to better the traffic instead asks us to grin and bear the problem.

I will reset my mindset but the next time a auto/bus/cab/private car drives across my path i would want to reset the drivers face.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:50   #567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thats a stupid article.
I will reset my mindset but the next time a auto/bus/cab/private car drives across my path i would want to reset the drivers face.
I dont feel there's any need to behave so violently.

Thats the way our city is and violence wont help us do any better.

I beg all on this thread to stop ranting. When there are large scale of infrastructural development happening around the city, our traffic seems to go in a tizzy. We need to be patient. We have better days coming ahead.

But Namma Bengaluru traffic is still breeze off late.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:51   #568
BHPian

Exactly my sentiments Spitfire, the article makes no sense and seems to quote figures incorrectly.

Edit: PK, I have started seeing the breeze on ORR too.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 17th April 2009 at 11:53.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:56   #569
Team-BHP Support

Commercial Street / Kamaraj Road is havoc.

My wife had not read the paper and drove to commerical street. Due to the military blocking the car park. She "wrongly" parked the car on the road as also many others. All the cars got "done" by the police.
Old 17th April 2009, 12:00   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
She "wrongly" parked the car on the road as also many others. All the cars got "done" by the police.
"Done" as in, a fine.. or were they towed away?
Scary, if the towing was on similar lines as a thread on the forum suggests.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks