Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 12:47   #886
BHPian

i was just about to type the exact same thing as prince_pervez. The a-star guy did wrong, but nowadays being inhumane is becoming the easy way out, as the fear (of being beaten up by a crowd of morons who know nothing about really happened) has taken over humanity.
its a tricky situation and it is changing us and our behaviour, decency and manners - not good!!

Another example is helping someone with directions - sure i would love to do it, but the past incidents where you stop to give someone directions and they loot you or steal your car, has instilled some fear in people stopping to help the lost.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:56   #887
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
its a tricky situation and it is changing us and our behaviour, decency and manners - not good!!
And who do you think bought us to such times? The scum feeding on others misery.

Or us who watch from a distance and drive off without helping the one's in the right?

There are 10 people who will try and take advantage of such an incident but there are a 1000 more who can help the one who is being victimized but would rather drive off.

All one needs is support from even one person, the scum will fear that much.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:57   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
(atleast first owners, it doesn't get updated after car is sold)
Hi,
I check with a few numbers and also with those who own pre-owned cars. It seems to me that the database is updated for new as well as transferred cars.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:00   #889
Team-BHP Support

@Prince : I do not expect that one should get out, help him up, etc. A mistake happened, and being apologetic about it, surely helps.

@Others, i had saved the number so i dont forget it. I am dead sure about the number Part of it. Its possible there may be a mistake with the M series.

Also, is the A-Star registered as A Star or an Alto?
Old 9th September 2009, 13:35   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
And who do you think bought us to such times? The scum feeding on others misery.

Or us who watch from a distance and drive off without helping the one's in the right?

There are 10 people who will try and take advantage of such an incident but there are a 1000 more who can help the one who is being victimized but would rather drive off.

All one needs is support from even one person, the scum will fear that much.
Spitfire - i agree with you, was just hinting that 'most' people may not think this way and that people are starting to come across as inhuman because of this fear on the back of their mind
Old 9th September 2009, 13:42   #891
Senior - BHPian

See, helping others is not that plain as it used to be earlier. Earlier people used to leave their vehicles to try and help a wounded on the road. Now you get honked to either move ahead or give way.
Many things are to be blamed, crime, fraud, genuinity etc..
Old 9th September 2009, 13:48   #892
BANNED

Quote:
this fear on the back of their mind
One just needs to think what if i was in that position.

It works for me all the time.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:11   #893
BHPian

guys - the very fact that we are discussing whether one needs to help others or not and whether it is simple or complicated, shows that things have changed so much.
In the olden days - this was never the case, people would help others without thinking twice - i think somewhere along the line incidents have happened which have made people lose trust.

spitfire - i still agree with your points though and i hope i can put them to use the next time i see the need to help someone on the road.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:21   #894
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I guess the ability to judge a genuine case and fraud would do wonders.

I'm sorry to say many genuine people would have and will continue to suffer due to fraudsters.
I had a maid who asked us for a favour of some amount and promised to return it back. Forget returning she didn't come to work after a few days.
The next lady asked for a similar favour, and I did not pay heed. She too did not come to work after a few days. I don't know whether she was pissed that we did not help or she was eventually going to leave anyway, that still remains a mystery.

Point is who to trust and not. That is a tough one to crack. I would surely help a road side victim, but only after I'm damn sure of not getting set up. I'm not sure what I would do on a highway.
Genuinity is a thing of the past and can be found only in books nowadays.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:54   #895
BHPian

is this an india only thing, and would our trust levels (atleast on roads) be different in another country.
I hear in uae people get out and shake hands after a collision, in US people just exchange numbers or wait for the cops calmly. Would we behave the same there or lose our fears and become human again?
Old 9th September 2009, 15:06   #896
BANNED

Quote:
Would we behave the same there or lose our fears and become human again?
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Couple of incidents where i have gone in to help, other people joined in only because one of us put the foot forward first.

But a long way to go.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:38   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Couple of incidents where i have gone in to help, other people joined in only because one of us put the foot forward first.

But a long way to go.
good to know buddy - definitely inspiring!
Old 9th September 2009, 16:32   #898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
is this an india only thing, and would our trust levels (atleast on roads) be different in another country.

I hear in uae people get out and shake hands after a collision, in US people just exchange numbers or wait for the cops calmly. Would we behave the same there or lose our fears and become human again?
Jassi, the primary difference is that in these places the cops act as the mediator in the situation, and either try to bring about a compromise, or if there is no compromise acheived, the issue goes to court. Speedy justice is the order of the day here, and usually justice prevails.

The scenario in our country is vastly different. Cops land and try to make a quick buck, passerbys try the same, the victim may not get help, and in most probability a simple accident can even lead to loss of life thanks to mob effect.

So, question is where do we start?
Old 9th September 2009, 20:41   #899
BHPian

I would like to share one incident which happened to me some 3-4 months back ...

It was a monday and I had an off day .. I was coming home after dropping my wife in her office. On my way back home, in my layout there is a sharp turn and I was under 15 Kmph speed. In the turn suddenly out of no where a kid( later I came to know he is in 6th standard) appeared on the wrong side from no where and lost control in front of my car. My car did not hit him but he fell down and his cycle hit my car. It appeared as if my car has hit him as I braked suddenly. Crowd gathered and his father came into the scene and went to slap the kid. I got down from the car and first thing stopped his dad from hitting him. I saw the kid got injuries in his legs and also had a cut on his forehead. Immediately I made the father son duo to sit in my car and took them to a near by doc. The father sells raw coconuts in the street. Now the doc charged 150 bucks for treating the kid and I bought medicines for something around 150-200 rs. Now I dropped them in the same place after 1 hr.

Then started the fun. I dont speak Kannada and there was problem in communicating with them. Then the father demanded 1000 Rs from me telling he has to repair the cycle. Just imagine I did not hit him .. rather his cycle has scratched my car. The kid was on the wrong side and was going in high speed and he lost control and fell. I saw some one influential in my layout that time and asked for help. He said as i drive a bigger vehicle so no one is going to listen to me and he told others that i have taken them to the hospital and made others silent ... Still I ended up paying 500 Rs ...

Its not the money but the blame from the crowd made me feel bad .. I know there was no fault of mine but people around never understand ..
Old 9th September 2009, 20:56   #900
BHPian

This happens a lot in Bangalore and its really sad. Whats even more disgusting is people deliberately getting in your way and then picking up a bit of a scuffle just to make some quick buck.

The strangest thing that happened to me was when I was waiting in my car at a traffic signal near family mart. All of sudden somewhen bangs into my car from the back. I wasn't surprised to see it was auto, but when i approached the back of my car the auto driver with two of his mates started yelling at me and were telling me that I hadn't put the brakes on and hence my car rolled back and banged into them. First I was confused and shocked but then I realised its just another con act. We were 3 guys in the car and argued hard with them before moving on. Im sure if I were alone they would have definitely put the blame on me and demanded some money.

Most Viewed