Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 10:27   #991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
I was taking one of my american friend towards ITPL from Vaidehi hospital .. Just infront of the big bazaar there was a huge pothole and i felt ashamed taking him through that (Tried telling him the road is under repair )
When your friend comes back next time, that pothole will surely be there, still

I cross that valley everyday and I know the pain.
Old 10th October 2009, 10:29   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Thats something really interesting can you give me details of this program. Or share more. I would really really like to know more.

Have pmed you my email id.

Thanks in advance.
Yet to receive your email ID - only received a similar request from HappyWheels.
Old 10th October 2009, 11:14   #993
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Yet to receive your email ID - only received a similar request from HappyWheels.
DUH?? Send again. No idea why it didn't go through.

Thanks again.
Old 10th October 2009, 11:15   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
RP, in this thread no one is bashing bangalore but ranting the bangalore traffic. So we have the right to mention the negative side ...No hard feelings please !!!
You will see these same people (I mean our countrymen) driving carefully and obeying each and every traffic rules in Dubai or Abudhabi or in fact in any other country where the traffic rules are very strict. Its mostly the Locals who drives rashly there.
Old 10th October 2009, 11:33   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
You will see these same people (I mean our countrymen) driving carefully and obeying each and every traffic rules in Dubai or Abudhabi or in fact in any other country where the traffic rules are very strict.
Oh, may be that's why I find driving in the US so difficult for me
Old 10th October 2009, 11:42   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you bet. following rules becomes the worst nightmare. but after you get used to those rules, then getting back here, one tendsto geta little fidgetty. i tried to follow all the rules and did my share of courtesy driving for a while, but the impatience of the traffic got my nerves and finalyl heeded to the pressure.
i still do a bit of my courtesy though.

mods: you may as well rename this thread and remove the appreciation bit of bit coz there is no hint of appreciation i can find on this thread. just a suggestion.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 10th October 2009 at 11:44.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:08   #997
BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely right. I felt the same way there. I was riding shotgun all the time and and mentally ticked of points I have to do if I am driving the car.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:23   #998
Senior - BHPian

Woooohoooo!

Looks like Auto drivers are going on a strike in Monday in Bangalore!
Woohooo, enjoy your heart out guys. Please contribute your experiences of bliss day after.
Old 10th October 2009, 18:13   #999
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore traffic is no different than traffic anywhere else in India. The difference is in the infrastructure and to an extent attitude of people.

People drive in a chaotic manner, yes. But that's generally because one gets FRUSTRATED by the EXTREMELY long time it takes to get anywhere and back.

There are several reasons that contribute, as mentioned by many in their posts, but here are a few I've noticed (including duplicates):

- Illiterate police: Not that they can't read/write, just that they shouldn't be traffic police because they have no idea how to mind traffic. 90% if you are stuck in a jam, there will be cops (sometimes up to 7) at the same junction "minding" it after switching off the signal. They really do ask traffic to move over to the wrong (right) side of the road just to clear traffic. Yup, you read that right. And if you jump a signal, they pretend to note something down. I've actually looked at the notepad of a couple of em - nothing, blank.

- Pathetic infrastructure: Yes, the city has grown. Yes, there are a lot of people coming in from other parts of the state and country. Yes, most of us don't follow all the rules. But, the roads are horribly narrow. There is ZERO offset from the road for either commercial establishments or residential in most areas. There are no road signs. Every road is a One-Way. There are no dedicated parking areas for most of the commercial areas with the odd exception. Private colonies do not permit visitor's vehicles in and do not have a dedicated parking for visitors either. Flyovers and underpasses are only just coming up, and if you see any of them, you can't help being either incredulous at how something of such poor quality was ever passed for construction, or laughing at the ridiculous design. Bangalore has the distinction of having a flyover with a traffic signal on top. Ever seen an underpass where a C+ segment car needs a three-point-turn to enter? Come over and see. There is some light at the end of this tunnel, though. There is some dividing work being done to ensure that vehicles stay on the left of the road.

- Pedestrians: They walk on the road. They cross the road right through the middle of the junction, in between cars and other vehicles. When the odd one gets injured or killed, the other pedestrians burn the vehicle and beat up the driver and cause disruption of traffic for hours until lathi-charged. But this is not really their fault. I've walked around a bit in Bangalore. There are either no footpaths, or if there are, they're taken up by vendors/trees/cars/police vehicles/etc, or are just so badly constructed or degraded, that it is safer to walk on the road. This also leads to crossing the road through the junction, because traffic elsewhere is just too chaotic to dare cross, or there is no way to cross the road anywhere else due to the lack of a footpath. Not to mention that the cars waiting for the signal are usually halfway across the junction anyway, hence there is no way to cross on the zebra path.

- Parking: Is on the roads, mostly. You either get your driver to wait in the car, or generally hope cops have earned enough money for the day. Or there could be dedicated parking spaces arranged for by the police - on the road.

- One ways: You never know where you'll reach until you try the one way. The lack of signs ensures that you may know how to get to the place you're going, or even get there by asking, but this does not guarantee that you'll know how to get back. The concept of a parallel road doesn't exist, hence if you miss a one way to your destination, most likely you'll have to go take a couple of U turns to get back to the same road. The next turn off might lead you anywhere. Really. There is no science to the one ways. They are generally enforced by the traffic police who's intelligence tells them that one ways are good. Half the traffic! What could be better?

So, the main problems Bangalore faces are of police and infrastructure. Other cities fare better mainly due to better roads, and possibly better police (maybe). People are just people.

There are days I wish I was back in Delhi so I could stay in 5th for a little while. Then I remember the weather, but that's a different story.

Last edited by VeluM : 10th October 2009 at 18:19. Reason: proof read = errors.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:10   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
I am not a saint and certainly am a Sinner , but I really cant understand why there is a thread only on the Bangalore traffic scenario

Is it that ALL other states in India have better traffic than Bangalore?
I was born and brought up here and have spent quite a few years on the road. Bangalore traffic was NOT all that bad maybe 5 years back. Now it has gotten real bad.

What is it because of?

I see lots of BHP'ians here saying that it is 'someone' else's mistake , would you ever take time to put down mistakes you have made?. I am sure all of us think we are great drivers, but are we really ?

Not to be sounding like a patriotic Bangalorean , if there is something like that , but every state has it's own set of people making mistakes. I think the number of vehicles from out of state drivers/riders is the most in Bangalore.

Take some time out when each of you are going to work and check the number plates of vehicles from out of state. They all contribute to the MESS , so I dont feel 'Bangalore' is at fault at all like the thread is made out to be.

I dont think it is right to have everyone having a GO at the Bangalore traffic scene , every place is as bad or some are even worse.

Yes , Bangalore traffic is bad , but if you cant do anything about it , might as well shut it.
The tone suggests that "Bangaloreans" are Good and "Out of state" people are Bad. You are not sounding like a "patriotic Bangalorean", you are one. People are people, no matter where in the country they are from. We are discussing the situation as is, and also the reasons for it - which mostly amounts to incompetent administration and police. The discipline you mentioned of five years ago can be noted for any city where the traffic was less a few years ago.

Since you were born and brought up in Bangalore, I suggest you take a few long vacations and get an idea of other cities. I was born in Kerala, brought up in Bhopal (MP), Kota (Rajasthan), Pune (Maharahstra), Jammu (J&K), Agra (UP), and Delhi. I think I have a fair idea of traffic in other cities.

I don't think people are bashing Bangalore anyway, and there are numerous posts also discussing what can be done to help the traffic become better in some way. And since this is a forum for Team-BHP members and their opinions, I will politely decline to (as you so politely put it) "shut it".

Last edited by VeluM : 10th October 2009 at 19:13.
Old 10th October 2009, 22:31   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
- Pathetic infrastructure: Bangalore has the distinction of having a flyover with a traffic signal on top.
This is a gem that I forgot to add to my list ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1428469 ) of unique stuff Bangalore has:

This must be the only city in the world where on top of a flyover there's a crossing - WITHOUT ANY SIGNAL - and with a "policeman" regulating traffic.

Why no signal? Because, the authorities do not know when this craziness will be reversed

I once read in the 'The Hindu' column '50 Years Ago' that, at that time (about 50 years ago or more) The Madras Tram Company gave a proposal to the Bangalore Municipality to start tram operations in Bangalore - the total projected cost at that time was about 5 lakhs.

But, the tongawalas of Bangalore, fearing erosion of their income, made a stiff opposition to this tram plan - and so Bangalore never had such facility.

While in Madras the tram operations morphed into the local railway system, Bangalore was left behind.

What is surprising to me is that even after so many decades, the "authorities" still do not have a Vision.

Should you be a Einstein:
  • to shift bus stops from corners?
  • to add more roads to and from EPIP?
  • to enforce No Parking?
  • to prevent private buses from running inside the city?
  • to prevent taxis from ferrying non-Company people thereby losing revenue for KSRTC?
  • to enforce lane discipline?
  • to pave roads in such a way that rainwater is drained?
This evening in Hoodi I saw a Maruti with a broken registration plate with just KA in it !!

And you still want me to believe that we have "Police" and "Authority" in Bangalore !!

Last edited by Tempelhof : 10th October 2009 at 22:33.
Old 11th October 2009, 08:40   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to shift bus stops from corners?
  • to prevent taxis from ferrying non-Company people thereby losing revenue for KSRTC?
Unfortunately most of this is backed up by political unions. I know of cases where companies had to forcefully renew their contracts of Indicab services. The only bright side is that these services provide some, some, employment.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:17   #1003
BHPian

Foot paths & Parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I could post the picture of a very wide road (100 ft) with foot path of about 10-12 feet. fine. but on both sides, Builders has encroached these foot paths and converted them to parking lots clearly marked by yellow lines for their residents. The vehicles parked here projects out into the road. pedestrians are forced to walk on the road.

Also the whole road beautifully asphalted recently is in a horrible state due to digging and laying sewage pipe about 5 feet from one edge of the road.
No planning and co-ordination between civic departments.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:56   #1004
Senior - BHPian

I dropped my mom to BAIL early morning today. She had a flight at 6AM. While returning, I saw a red light at the signal after the golf course. I also saw many people jumping it. Being a T-bhpian (ahem) , I knew I had to stop and stop I did just before the line and stretched my hand to a Logan behind that I was stopping and would not jump the signal no matter what. The dude complied and so did many others. I was proud, proud of what I had done.
Just as I was looking around, I saw that no one was moving. After some observation I saw all the signals in the chowk were red. HAIN!!!??
I still waited patiently and looked in the RVM. I saw 2 guys on a luna frantically waving at me. I knew something was wrong. Those guys squeezed in the pile up and came up to my window and said something in Kannada which I instantly picked up as "The signal is not working"
Kenya imagine what went throught me ? I mean I was supposed to be the hero of the show. At this moment the traffic on all the side were stationary.
I slot the lever in first and took off after I knew it was safe. The gang followed me.
Then near Shivajinagar again a red. It showed the count '1' and it was red. I knew this was frozen too but still I waited. People were waiting for theirs to turn green, but it simply wouldn't.
I took off again and signalled to the rest of the guys that the signal is jammed.
Talk about following the rules and konked signal servers to back that!
I just hope and pray I do not get a ticket for jumping the signal. That would be the iceing on the pudding/cake.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th October 2009 at 14:58.
Old 11th October 2009, 15:01   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
I could post the picture of a very wide road (100 ft) with foot path of about 10-12 feet. fine. but on both sides, Builders has encroached these foot paths and converted them to parking lots clearly marked by yellow lines for their residents. The vehicles parked here projects out into the road. pedestrians are forced to walk on the road.

Also the whole road beautifully asphalted recently is in a horrible state due to digging and laying sewage pipe about 5 feet from one edge of the road.
No planning and co-ordination between civic departments.
If you are irritated by residents encroaching into footpaths to keep their vehicles, come to my locality - here people painted the whole public road with whatever paints they had to mark pieces of the road as their own. Some people went ahead to the extent of writing "RESERVED" on some stretches of this road that was built using taxpayers' money. These people are not illiterates - they are very much educated and established in their life - the utter disrespect to the laws of our land is in our DNA, there is no escape from it. When I confronted a person who marked RESERVED in a section of this public road, his response was - "I also pay tax. Don't teach me what rights I have. If you like, you can also take some part of the road, but don't mess with me". The same people may be breaking 100 civic/traffic norms everyday and the same people may be cursing others (bikers, autos and everybody else) for creating all sorts of trouble.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks