Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 16:53   #1261
BHPian

Benny: You are right those few calls did make a huge difference, one more good thing which came out I made some good friends at the Cops station
Old 18th February 2010, 21:20   #1262
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if it would be possible to have a few numbers available to members, once that can be used in times such as these.Always a good thing to have some contacts with higher ups, though not all of us may have access to such individuals.
If certain officials were to approve of it, their emergency contact info could be shared here.Of course, this would mean inconveniencing such people as every person would end up asking for help at all odd hours.
Better still, those who know such officials ought to be the ones contacted in such situations.After assessing the incident,they could decide if the higher up should be contacted or now.
Just a thought!
Old 19th February 2010, 11:48   #1263
Senior - BHPian

madness at ORR at 11 pm!

Yesterday went to a friends place at yelahanka. started from Big B OMR at 6.30 and reached there at 7.30 a distance of 17 km. There was a traffic jam just prior to the hebbal flyover. vehicles were using the service rd and avoiding the jam. coming back at 11 pm there waas this huge jam at the ORR hennur rd junction. again traffic from the service lane was coming onto the main ORR at the junction thus causing the jam. took half an hour to clear.

Some observations on this road.

1. Traffic has increased but it is BAD traffic MANAGEMENT that is the cause of jams. not the roads which are wide and good.
eg. on ORR green is common to Lt Rt and Center. and stays green irrespective if there is traffic going right. (and very little traffic actually goes rt) as a result opposit traffic gets stopped for long, traffic piles up and the road is unused. The aim of planners should be to have a road used as much as possible. i feel this is so obvious that I wonder how it could be missed. I keep comparing road useage here with that in mumbai where on arterial roads rt is green for a limited time. thereafter rt turn not allowed and traffic for rt, lines up neatly one behind the other. If not in line, the cop makes you go straight.

2. What is the use of service roads? I notice that ppl use this road as a regular road which doesn't have signals. while the poor sods on the main road have to stop at the signals.

3. Of course the idea of signal synchronisation is probably alien, which if implemented would allow traffic to move smoothly.

Is there a person in authority who is amenable to suggestions. and his email id if possible

sorry for the long rant. but thats the idea anyway
Old 19th February 2010, 12:55   #1264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
2. What is the use of service roads? I notice that ppl use this road as a regular road which doesn't have signals. while the poor sods on the main road have to stop at the signals.
To add to this. There is a Traffic Cop controlling the traffic on the Service Roads. The Traffic Police in Bangalore are the worst. No self respect.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:24   #1265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
To add to this. There is a Traffic Cop controlling the traffic on the Service Roads.
Also add to it, the fact that vehicles which are on the service road are given greater priority than those which are on the main road.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:26   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Also add to it, the fact that vehicles which are on the service road are given greater priority than those which are on the main road.
Also adding to this, the road side vendors adding the choas to already crippled traffic system
Old 19th February 2010, 15:51   #1267
BANNED

Quote:

3. Of course the idea of signal synchronisation is probably alien, which if implemented would allow traffic to move smoothly.
If specific to ORR (Hebbal-Hennur-KR Puram)

There are signals on every crossing, on Service roads also. So I dont think people use the service road to save signals and there is no logic at all. It is just to save yourself from the long queue of vehicles behind the signal (The queue gets distributed).
However, you mentioned that roads to be utilised at the most. Aren't service Roads.. roads?

Quote:
To add to this. There is a Traffic Cop controlling the traffic on the Service Roads. The Traffic Police in Bangalore are the worst. No self respect.
What's wrong in that? We should feel good about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Also adding to this, the road side vendors adding the choas to already crippled traffic system
I Disagree. They only come when the vehicles are waiting, once you start, they run to the other signal which has stopped.
Old 19th February 2010, 16:09   #1268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yesterday went to a friends place at yelahanka. started from Big B OMR at 6.30 and reached there at 7.30 a distance of 17 km. There was a traffic jam just prior to the hebbal flyover. vehicles were using the service rd and avoiding the jam. coming back at 11 pm there waas this huge jam at the ORR hennur rd junction. again traffic from the service lane was coming onto the main ORR at the junction thus causing the jam. took half an hour to clear.

Some observations on this road.

1. Traffic has increased but it is BAD traffic MANAGEMENT that is the cause of jams. not the roads which are wide and good.
eg. on ORR green is common to Lt Rt and Center. and stays green irrespective if there is traffic going right. (and very little traffic actually goes rt) as a result opposit traffic gets stopped for long, traffic piles up and the road is unused. The aim of planners should be to have a road used as much as possible. i feel this is so obvious that I wonder how it could be missed. I keep comparing road useage here with that in mumbai where on arterial roads rt is green for a limited time. thereafter rt turn not allowed and traffic for rt, lines up neatly one behind the other. If not in line, the cop makes you go straight.

Is there a person in authority who is amenable to suggestions. and his email id if possible

sorry for the long rant. but thats the idea anyway
I have realized this. The junction you mentioned is the one at Manyata Tech Park with BEL corporate HQ. Its one of the most horrible junctions. I travel to Yelahanka side quite often. I avoid ORR all the time. I guess in your case you had no choice, since you were on OMR.

But looks like, even if you are on OMR it might a good idea to go via city. Also when going through the city, going via Golf course makes sense rather than the Mekri circle/RT Nagar area, as its really traffic free compared to this stretch.

So now the question how best one can reach the golf course section.

MG Road, Cubbon Road etc all are choked at these hours. Maybe one can try through the Bangalore cant side through the Mount Carmel College/Palace grounds and getting on to Bellary road.
Old 19th February 2010, 16:20   #1269
BANNED

@Ranjan Sharma:

First try and understand why we have Service Roads and their importance.

And then why we have the main roads and their importance.

Now coming to your statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
There are signals on every crossing, on Service roads also. So I dont think people use the service road to save signals and there is no logic at all.
You are promoting chaos. Consider your analogy to riding/driving on footpaths.

Serivce roads work as an access to houses and other places off the main road.

Quote:
It is just to save yourself from the long queue of vehicles behind the signal (The queue gets distributed).
And the ones waiting rightfully in the queue are morons?

Have you heard of jumping queues?

Please avoid using the service roads to bypass traffic and creating more chaos.

A rule in UK Visas asks Indians to understand QUEUES? You know why now?

Quote:
However, you mentioned that roads to be utilised at the most. Aren't service Roads.. roads?

What's wrong in that? We should feel good about it.
Seriously man??

Last edited by Spitfire : 19th February 2010 at 16:22.
Old 19th February 2010, 16:50   #1270
Senior - BHPian

I had been to the ORR (Hennur - Hebbal) last week.

Just before the Nagawara Jn., I was shocked to see 7 lanes of traffic, all going towards Hebbal!
You will ask me how 7 lanes? Here it is:
3 lanes on the ORR main road, 2 lanes on the left side Service road & another 2 lanes on the right side Service road!
And the Best part despite have 7 lanes, there was jam at that junction!
Old 19th February 2010, 17:10   #1271
BANNED

Quote:
And the ones waiting rightfully in the queue are morons?

Have you heard of jumping queues?

Please avoid using the service roads to bypass traffic and creating more chaos.

A rule in UK Visas asks Indians to understand QUEUES? You know why now?
There is no question of jumping queue here. The service road gets a "Green" Signal when the mail road is "Red", so noone is jumping any QUEUE. I used this road for 2 years (Ramaiah - Whitefield) Daily. Initially I used to take the service road to save myself from the traffic, but I noticed later, I am still behind the car which was with me in the 'Main road' even after me Jumping queues (as per you). So I don't prefer it now.

I DO understand the needs and use of a service road, but it is not at all Logical to leave the service road free when the mail road is packed with traffic. Lets not compare ourselves to UK and US, since we don't have the infrastructure provided.

Th traffic police thing may be funny, because I seriously don't find anything wrong in a TPolice moderating traffic. Probably someone could share the joke and let me enjoy it too

If you have been to Hosur road, there are service lanes there too, never saw people talking about traffic moving on service road there?
Old 19th February 2010, 17:28   #1272
BANNED

Quote:
There is no question of jumping queue here. The service road gets a "Green" Signal when the mail road is "Red", so noone is jumping any QUEUE.
Which Service road has signals?

Are you mistaking the signals meant for main roads are there for Service roads too?

Please understand roads intersecting on an intersection are not service roads.

Quote:
So I don't prefer it now.
So what made you do it earlier? The thought that you could jump the folks infront of you waiting rightfully for the signal?

Quote:
I DO understand the needs and use of a service road, but it is not at all Logical to leave the service road free when the mail road is packed with traffic.
You know why Ambulances and other Services get hampered now.

Quote:
Lets not compare ourselves to UK and US, since we don't have the infrastructure provided.
We dont have the mentality? Have you driven in London or France?

Quote:
Th traffic police thing may be funny, because I seriously don't find anything wrong in a TPolice moderating traffic. Probably someone could share the joke and let me enjoy it too
Forget you read it.

Quote:
If you have been to Hosur road, there are service lanes there too, never saw people talking about traffic moving on service road there?
Just because it is happening doesnt mean its right.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:59   #1273
BANNED

Quote:
Which Service road has signals?

Are you mistaking the signals meant for main roads are there for Service roads too?
There cant be 2 seperate signals for Main road and service road. A traffic light is at intersections, and that's what I meant. To come to the main road from the service one.. you need to cross a signal, and there is no way anyone is jumping it, or proving the one's waiting on the main road 'morons'.

Quote:
So what made you do it earlier? The thought that you could jump the folks infront of you waiting rightfully for the signal?
Not at all, the thought was using a road which is not being used. Like people take different routes to the same destination.

Quote:
You know why Ambulances and other Services get hampered now.
Probably these services may get hampered, I agree.

Quote:
We dont have the mentality? Have you driven in London or France?
Mentality? like riding a TVS 50 and imagining it as a Haya Busa?

Quote:
Just because it is happening doesnt mean its right.
I could not find any source where it's mentioned that private vehicles are not allowed on service roads, irrespective of their destination.

This is probably looking like an argument, but I am just trying to justify the prospectives.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 19th February 2010 at 18:00.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:07   #1274
BHPian

Folks,

At the Nagawara junction, the traffic from service road (on the Manyata Tech Park side) does have a signal to join the ORR. The service road that comes from HBR side is a one-way, meaning vehicles can only take the service road towards HBR and not the other way.

The service road on the opposite side of Manyata side, was never used since there were blockages preventing the traffic to the join the ORR.

1) Service Road at the Nagawara junction has a signal
2) And only because it leads to Manyata Tech Park
Old 19th February 2010, 18:20   #1275
BANNED

Ok Rocky has probably put it the right way.

Another example where a wrong instead of being corrected has been accepted and made a norm - I meant the signal at the Nagawara Junction Service Road.

Quote:
There cant be 2 seperate signals for Main road and service road. A traffic light is at intersections, and that's what I meant. To come to the main road from the service one.. you need to cross a signal, and there is no way anyone is jumping it, or proving the one's waiting on the main road 'morons'.
No the main signals meant for the main roads are not for Service Roads. However you might look at it.

I will tell you why?

Where do folks coming from Main Road Turn to If they want to go left at the intersection?

And how will the people coming from service roads join the main road when the signal goes green for the main road? Should the signal first stop the people who want to turn left and allow the service road vehicles to join the main road?

You know why there are chaos?

Quote:
Not at all, the thought was using a road which is not being used. Like people take different routes to the same destination.
I dont get this. Its a service road to the main road not a different road.

Quote:
Probably these services may get hampered, I agree.
So you agree that your using the Service Road could have taken vital time away from some victims?

Quote:
Mentality? like riding a TVS 50 and imagining it as a Haya Busa?
No. There are Service Roads there too and kilometer long queues more longer then you can imagine. No one drives on the Service Road there even if the whole road is blocked for minutes together.

Quote:
I could not find any source where it's mentioned that private vehicles are not allowed on service roads, irrespective of their destination.
Everything needs to be mentioned somewhere to be understood? Commonsense bhi koi cheez hai?

I am alarmed at this argument because I cannot fathom the understanding here.

We have a long way to go before we can be called developed or educated.

Now I will wait to be called a saint or hypocrite.

Last edited by Spitfire : 19th February 2010 at 18:27.

Most Viewed