Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 21:19   #1366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Was driving down from Mysore yesterday night at around 11:00 pm..............
..........It gets really dangerous around that time esp on a sunday night when there is a mad rush to reach the city by midnight......
I started driving back from Mysore at 6 PM yesterday. A most unpleasant drive. If you have to get back to Blr on Sunday, start driving after an early lunch or stay in Mysore and drive back early on Monday morning.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:25   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I started driving back from Mysore at 6 PM yesterday. A most unpleasant drive. If you have to get back to Blr on Sunday, start driving after an early lunch or stay in Mysore and drive back early on Monday morning.
i drove back yesterday from chennai in the evening (reached 1045pm) and it is one uncomfy experience! somehow I didn't feel safe going anywhere above 80-100kmph even though in the morning while going to chennai I managed 130-150kmph. I am guessing the lack of any roadlights and the fact that villagers/cars/bikes just jump in between from anywhere makes me less confident. Besides 90% of the trucks/buses have no tail lights and are sometimes indulging in 5kmph drag racing blocking all lanes!
Old 8th March 2010, 21:34   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
hmmm.. Left lane is for slow, I had to overtake, so I could not take left because vehicles on the left lane are even slower (Good sign: Cars are really using this rule on this road). If he had to ride slow, he had to go to the slower lane no matter what.

Any ways, I din't honk to shove him to the left, it was to let him know he was riding slow on the wrong lane and should pace up. It was a danger to his life itself. You should see the new Airport road these days, noone wants to drive below 70-80. Out of 20 cars at 80KMPH, 1 bike at 60KMPH is definitely not safe.

I think I used the wrong word 'Honk' it's misleading.
I used my horn for around 2-3 seconds continuously.
I asked because I've been that biker once!
This was after the Iblur junction towards Bellandur junction on the ORR.
I was on the middle lane on my Activa behind a slow BMTC bus. Decided to overtake from right-most lane ensuring there is no vehicle approaching in the right-most lane. As I had almost finished overtaking, an Innova appears a very high speed, possibly from another lane and started honking his guts out at me. There was nothing much I could do, but to patiently and carefully finish overtaking the BMTC bus and move over to the middle lane ensuring that I leave sufficient distance between myself and the BMTC behind.

Just ensuring this was not the case here. In some situations bikers are misunderstood!
Old 8th March 2010, 21:38   #1369
BHPian

@Jassi, you might have been apprehsive because it was your first time at night on the route. Good that you took the precaution. But, the roads are less dangerous at night simply because most villagers stay at home and no one comes on wrong side
Old 8th March 2010, 21:59   #1370
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
I asked because I've been that biker once!
This was after the Iblur junction towards Bellandur junction on the ORR.
I was on the middle lane on my Activa behind a slow BMTC bus. Decided to overtake from right-most lane ensuring there is no vehicle approaching in the right-most lane. As I had almost finished overtaking, an Innova appears a very high speed, possibly from another lane and started honking his guts out at me. There was nothing much I could do, but to patiently and carefully finish overtaking the BMTC bus and move over to the middle lane ensuring that I leave sufficient distance between myself and the BMTC behind.

Just ensuring this was not the case here. In some situations bikers are misunderstood!
Although the right most lane is an overtaking lane, doesn't mean I overtake a vehicle at 60KMPH blocking other vehicles on the lane.

I am a biker too I ensure I NEVER go to the right most lane even if I have to overtake. That is for vehicles moving at real high speed and scary on a 2 wheeler. Moreover, imagine you going at 80KMPH, and you have to break hard for a guy on bike doing 60KMPH, it's so irritating..!
The guy was just a nut case, without helmets and having a jolly ride. It's not that he could not move to lanes, he Didn't want to.

I was following this guy from Hebbal, he was pissing off all the cars out there. And looking at his answers to my questions how did you feel like comparing your situation to his.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 8th March 2010 at 22:06.
Old 9th March 2010, 00:43   #1371
BHPian

ORR - Bike Riding

I am regular biker on ORR from Sarjapur junction to Nagavara junction near Hebbal flyover. I use just two principles on the road to be safe:

1. Irrespective of your speed, just move on to left most lane when you find it empty. Because there are always those who are faster (err. madder) than you. Left most lane - if it's bike and middle lane - if it's car.
2. Of course I'll honor the speed limits on the road. However, there is nothing called driving fast or driving slow but driving right - what I call as situationally correct speed! You can't just be going at 30kmph if everyone around you is going at 80+. Vice-versa is true too. Also, when you overtake another vehicle going just +5 Kmph to your speed, you'll have to be at least +10 not +5.5! Once you are done overtaking and moved back to your left (or middle, whichever) lane and you can get back to your normal speed. Just pace your speed based on the traffic you follow and others who are following you.

I'll try to stick to these two rules as much as possible. So far I never had any problems with these.

Cheers,
KK

Drive Safe
Old 9th March 2010, 08:57   #1372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
I am regular biker on ORR from Sarjapur junction to Nagavara junction near Hebbal flyover. I use just two principles on the road to be safe:
Kishore,

My only humble request is that if you can move to an Alto at minimum that would be really better! For any distances more than ~6 KM, bikes are not safe. On top of it you are driving at the worst stretch of the city!
Old 9th March 2010, 10:15   #1373
Senior - BHPian

+10 to what kishore says and +100 to ampere says. Kishore is right in his terms and ampere is right as per the safety of the person is concerned. But due to unavoidable circumstances we have to travel in bike. From past 8 years I have been traveling more than 40kms(both way) and have covered almost 1L kms. This is purely due to what kishore said in those 2 points. I always obey these rules. But Kishore as ampere said now the traffic condition has become horrible. So please try an upgrade.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:50   #1374
BHPian

@kishoreyk,

I wish all road users were like you.
On a 3 lane road, i too hog the middle lane and use the right lane only for overtaking or if i'm faster than the rest of the traffic.

I used to have an RX100 before. I miss riding and don't feel good burning too much fuel for short distances.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 9th March 2010 at 10:52.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:52   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
However, there is nothing called driving fast or driving slow but driving right - what I call as situationally correct speed! You can't just be going at 30kmph if everyone around you is going at 80+. Vice-versa is true too.
Perfect. I got thrashed for saying the same thing in another thread. Driving at 30, even if you are following the speed limit, when everyone around you is doing 80 is as dangerous as zipping at 80 within the city. Safest practice is to go with the flow - neither too fast nor too slow.

Everyday I see poor cyclists and moped wallahs pushed off the road dangerously because some moron is hogging the right lane at 40 and only way to overtake him is by the left lane which rightfully belongs to the slow moving moped in the first place.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:43   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post

I was following this guy from Hebbal, he was pissing off all the cars out there. And looking at his answers to my questions how did you feel like comparing your situation to his.
I definitely wasn't like that guy!
Looks like he firmly belives 'that rule was scrapped'
Old 9th March 2010, 12:00   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Perfect. I got thrashed for saying the same thing in another thread.
hehe. Maybe, in that thread, you were doing 80 while everyone else was doing 30 (metaphorically speaking )
Old 10th March 2010, 20:49   #1378
BHPian

ORR - Bike Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On top of it you are driving at the worst stretch of the city!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
But due to unavoidable circumstances we have to travel in bike.
@ampere, I agree with you and @shishir_bn you are right. Although I'd like to use car, I feel less stressed using bike - really! Also, I like bike riding. I forget lot of tensions at work/home while enjoying my ride.
Of course, it's just a matter of 10-15 minutes saving, while using bike, which is not a factor.

Using car means - some convincing is required with my wife for using bus for her commute, which is difficult thing to do. :-)

Cheers,
KK
Old 11th March 2010, 16:02   #1379
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Driver on wrong side of road argues with cop, get just desserts!

Time: 1915 hours rush hour, March 10, 2010
Place: BEL Circle Junction on the ring road
Suspect: Driver of a white Esteem
Violation: Driving down the wrong side of the road to escape traffic lights
Result: Chaos for over 30 minutes

This is what resulted last evening on my drive back home, an imbecile (i have no other words to describe him) tried to jump the traffic light by driving on the wrong side of the road only to get stuck at the junction when the lights turned red. This was at the junction leading to BEL Circle from Vidyaranyapura.

I was on the opposite side (Gokula over bridge) and was stuck at the lights for close to 10 minutes, a few drivers in front of me got out of their cars and were looking on at the chaos unfolding ahead. The guy was actually standing his ground and arguing furiously with a fairly senior cop refusing to reverse his car, the confrontation was bordering on getting physical and then suddenly it did with the guy pushing the cop away.

Infuriated, the cop retaliated and caught him by his neck and yanked him away from his car also clobbering him at the nape of his neck while he pushes him aside. All this drama unfolding as drivers honk and jostle to clear this mess and drive away.

After about 15 minutes another cop arrives and moves the car aside with some help from a few bystanders. What do you call a person who displays total lack of road etiquette?

Regards,
gpa
Old 11th March 2010, 16:15   #1380
Senior - BHPian

GPA, am glad that imbecile messed-up with the cops!
He would have got the full package from them - blows, slaps, police case against him under various sections, a stint at the lock-up, visits to court too.

Last edited by finneyp : 11th March 2010 at 16:23.

Most Viewed