Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 11:02   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yesterday we were travelling from Chennai to Mysore via Bangalore, ofcourse we didn't enter into the city, but took the NICE road. Journey from Chennai up to Hosur was real breeze & we could really enjoy the nice drive. When we drove from Hosur, we could see in real about the traffic sense that were discussed in this forum.

While heading towards Mysore, sorry to say my friends, I could see most of the KA vehicles driving so bad..........
Exactly my observations too. I was working in Chennai for a year between 07-08 and I used very very frequently commute to Bangalore to meet my girlfriend. And my ride till Hosur used to be a breeze. The moment went past the Welcome to KA board, I had to reduce my speeds quite a bit and almost activate like few additional sensors in my head to keep track of all the things happening on the road.

I don't belong to either states so don't have any attachment with them, but over the period of one year when I used to regularly 'commute' between Chennai and Bangalore I noticed that driving in KA generally means I have to be more careful on the road!
Old 16th April 2010, 11:06   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
And my ride till Hosur used to be a breeze. The moment went past the Welcome to KA board, I had to reduce my speeds quite a bit and almost activate like few additional sensors in my head to keep track of all the things happening on the road.
Pardon me, but, of course anyone has to be extra careful when entering into a city and more so a densly populated Bengaluru, from a GQ highway.
Be it Bengaluru or Pune. Once nearing a city, speed will reduce and people will have to be careful like in the city. Once cannot compare traffic on the the highways with the one in the city.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:11   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Pardon me, but, of course anyone has to be extra careful when entering into a city and more so a densly populated Bengaluru, from a GQ highway.
Be it Bengaluru or Pune. Once nearing a city, speed will reduce and people will have to be careful like in the city. Once cannot compare traffic on the the highways with the one in the city.
I think should have worded my post a bit differently.

What I meant to say, when compared to Highway/City riding between TN & KA I did riding in KA to be a lot more taxing to the senses.

I did not intend to compare the GQ stretch traffic to Bangalore city traffic. Hope this clears it up.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:15   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Hope this clears it up.
Yup, crystal at that. Gives you a feel of which ones a more popular destination
Old 16th April 2010, 11:27   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Have a look at the poor guy in the swift.

This what we call "Infrastructure" in Bangalore.

YouTube - Junction Traffic in Bangalore (India)
. This happens daily at Begur road in Bommanahalli. This is one of the worst traffic management area in Bangalore or anywhere in India. Most cops take bribe to allow ugly three wheelers (Auto) to park right in the middle of the road and disturb normal traffic flow. Experience once in your life time! You will never travel to Begur road any more.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:46   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to that one lone auto guy who kept trying to sort the traffic out, unfortunately the other ppl just dont understand the concept of their own lane and instructions.
Old 16th April 2010, 16:12   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Have a look at the poor guy in the swift.

This what we call "Infrastructure" in Bangalore.

YouTube - Junction Traffic in Bangalore (India)
This has nothing to do with infrastructure. This is a matter of pure commensense and traffic discipline which is non-existant here as we can see. We can have the best of roads, but without traffic sense nothing will change.

We can safely rule out educating people on traffic sense, what we need is stringent implementation of policing and imposing hefty fines.
Old 16th April 2010, 16:36   #1448
BHPian

On the topic of KA vehicles driving without road/traffic sense. Here's what I notice everytime I travel on the NH4 esp the road between Bangalore-Belgaum

1. NO KSRTC bus will go drive in the slow lane they will all drive in the fast lane, even if you honk/flash headlights - they will not budge - the conductor will put out the hand on the left side asking you to overtake from the left

2. Almost every transport vehicle with a KA plate will drive slow in the fast lane and will NOT let anyone overtake from the right. A simple flash of the headlights to 90% of the transport vehicles with non-KA plates and he will simple move over to the left and give way.

3. there are all sorts of vehicles coming the wrong way on the NH4 - every vehicle except a few ones have a KA number on them. On arguing with them - they all shout at you asking you if you are blind ! These morons just seem to think they are right

4. You have to be very careful when a KA registered vehicle is in front of you - as there is no way of telling which direction he will swerve next ! A simple thing as an overtake can be very scary!

And another alarming thing - among the few vehicles that have a KA plate and drive sensibly - almost NONE of them will have a Bangalore series number !

All this makes me believe there is something fundamentally wrong with KA and traffic sense and enforcement of traffic laws !
Old 17th April 2010, 00:27   #1449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
This has nothing to do with infrastructure. This is a matter of pure commensense and traffic discipline which is non-existant here as we can see. We can have the best of roads, but without traffic sense nothing will change.

We can safely rule out educating people on traffic sense, what we need is stringent implementation of policing and imposing hefty fines.
Dude, does infrastructure include traffic lights? road dividers, most of all WIDER Roads?
Which one do you find in the video?
What would you do with the common sense?
Do you see the Swift guy using his common sense?
Where did he land up with his SO CALLED COMMON SENSE?

Isn't it a disgrace to see an auto driver managing traffic? Where are the cops? Hiding at some spot to catch poor motorists and earn something to buy balloons for their kids in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist
On the topic of KA vehicles driving without road/traffic sense. Here's what I notice everytime I travel on the NH4 esp the road between Bangalore-Belgaum ....
...........enforcement of traffic laws !
NH4, NH7.. name it. Last week I was coming back from Hoganekkal with my GF, she was scared to Hell seeing the driving style of others on road. I was chilled out because I exactly know how these goons will act.

Moment you want to overtake them, they will try to brush your vehicle from side (giving very less space to overtake). Driving for around 70K KMS in Karnataka has taught me how to predict each and every vehicle. I will not act as a saint here and openly say, I give them their own medicine. If they don't let me overtake, I overtake and do the same with them. If they go slow on the right lane, I overtake and go even slower. Have used enough of driving ethics and this is where I have landed.

ok, ready for the bashings now, bring it on..!

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 17th April 2010 at 00:42.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:16   #1450
Senior - BHPian

I learned a great lesson from my recent trip. Try to remain as polite as possible, this will help in two ways
1. When you're polite & respect other guys, the other guy will respect you when you try to overtake
2. Even if the other guy is a moron & doesn't respect your drive, when you yield, you leave room for the moron to move away rather than ramming your vehicle.

When we were returning back from Coorg-Hosur, I did notice several good drivers who responded back good.
1. We were cruising around 90ish & this Innova happened to do atleast 100 & I yielded him way even before he honked (I do this always) & we'd several Kms driving together that he slows down during a missed overtake (misjudgement of speed) & he yields me way. This happened not only with this Innova in the afternoon, but a Rhino & Fiesta in the evening & night.
2. IMO, the worst are govt busses. I was sad to see Volvo's driving like mad though the vehicle has got ample power. They're the people having power with no responsibility.
3. Spotted a black Santro & Innova racing from outskirts of Mysore. Nothing big deal, but the Santro carried a "L" board that had white border on the red L.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:44   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
notice she has earphones plugged into her ears. How dumb can people get?!
Chennai people should know, there has been a few deaths at the Chromepet railway crossing due to the same reason... plugging ear phones, talking on cell phones and crossing the railway tracks oblivious to the train coming... there is only one way this ends... :-( they dont even hear the train's horn...
Old 19th April 2010, 19:47   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Another one: Public transport city buses will stop dead in the centre of the road and private vehicle owners (heavy vehicles) will stop as soon as someone shows a hand. No showing of signal or anything like that. I saw a bus stopping right in the middle of the road w/o any traffic sense or regard towards other users.

Another weird thing: If a bus has stopped at a bus stop and there is already a bus in front, the the one at the back after collecting passengers will make a full right to get in front instead of waiting for the one in front to move first. I don't know whats the hurry. They aren't private operator anyway to compete for passengers.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:05   #1453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another weird thing: If a bus has stopped at a bus stop and there is already a bus in front, the the one at the back after collecting passengers will make a full right to get in front instead of waiting for the one in front to move first. I don't know whats the hurry. They aren't private operator anyway to compete for passengers.
+1. BMTC buses do involve themselves in competition, especially on same/similar routes. It is very a very common scene for any road user in Bangalore.

Once, I was following a BMTC bus on a road with a median (Breaks in between at cross roads) and For the usual habit of looking at my ORVM comes a surprise. Another speeding BMTC bus coming out of the Median break, taking on the oposite lane (there were Autos, 2 wheelers going the other way) and trying to again join back in front of me (after sensing that overtaking me and the Bus together was not possible). I constantly honk, flash my lights and start moving closer to the bus which I was following.
This dude tries to move front bumper as close to me as as to push me aside but I would not. Finally, gives up and joins back behind me at the next Break in the median.

Definitely not a heroic act from me but how long try to behave like a gentleman driver and confront these morons? It has been years now and they will never change despite writing to the Divisional Manager of BMTC twice, there have been no response whatsoever.

This isnt my usual practice but if everyone gives way to their horrendous behaviour on the road, when will they ever realise that they are wrong!
Old 19th April 2010, 20:51   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore is not alone, this happens even here in Singapore and seen many drivers doing it.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:21   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Bangalore is not alone, this happens even here in Singapore and seen many drivers doing it.
Singapore? really?? Can't believe! (didn't mean that I don't believe you). Up until now, I was under the impression (from what my friends told) that Singapore has one of the most disciplined traffic flows in the world. Hmm... A pity!

Most Viewed