Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 15:20   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There is nothing wrong in the way you feel. But you could also just talk sensibly and ask him what's wrong. You could have tried to change someones attitude. (Maybe he was pointing to your car door which was not shut properly or something..... just kidding)
A good excercise but haven't worked with me at least even when I have asked them (BMTC, Tempo Travellers, Indicabs) in pure Bengaluru Kannada for which most of the times I remember, I have got a response like "mind your business".

I once asked a BMTC driver near BEL Road if he can take pain to look at this ORVMs and drive for which he sarcastically replied "nanige mirror nodo abhyaasa illa" (I dont have the habit of looking at the mirrors).

During all these occasions, I never advised them for a mere charity but only when my situation got a bit dangerous due to their style of driving.

Even complaining BMTC over emails hasnt worked for me so far!

There is absolutely no point in giving these chaps a benefit of doubt saying its a thankless job they do driving in everyday mess called Bangalore traffic but thats the job they've chosen. Period.

BIAS Volvo drivers are more shameless that they stop abruptly anywhere when they see a waving hand not realizing the dangerous situation they have created when they cruise at 70kmph and stop.(esp. those which are going towards the Airport).

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th July 2010 at 15:22.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:45   #1697
BHPian

We are all cribbing/discussing about how bad the situation, the real question here is what's the solution? or what we can do as team-BHP members and responsible citizens to improve the traffic situation in namma bengaluru city??!
Old 16th July 2010, 18:09   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
We are all cribbing/discussing about how bad the situation, the real question here is what's the solution? or what we can do as team-BHP members and responsible citizens to improve the traffic situation in namma bengaluru city??!
This is the capital of Adjust maadi. We should protest whenever we see something wrong. But should be done in the right way. Roughing up someone is also against the rules or laws.

Its not about language. The goons behave the same whether one speaks kannada or not.

A little OT, A boy died falling into a pit. How many of us protest against a waterlogged pit? We don't care since we think we will not be impacted. Once something happens, there is a big hue and cry and blame the 'authorities'. Cant we do our part? (We have started this in our locality, complain to the corporator about anything we think is not right, we dont lose the right to blame the 'authorities' later)

Last edited by srishiva : 16th July 2010 at 18:10.
Old 16th July 2010, 18:10   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
I guess you have not gone through the pages from the beginning. The solution has been discussed upteen times.
The most popular ones are.

1) Diverting population from the weath creating cities and distributing opportunities state wide. To create lesser influx for jobs alone.

2) Everyone, I mean right from the 18 year old fresh driver to the uneducated fellow Indian to the business class and the so call IT professional should follow rules.

3) Next time when government plans new public facilities, it should keep in mind, parking space, better facilities. Problem is every road is a down town road. We have to keep the old heritage sites as down town and keep the rest off the roads.

Others please add to the list.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:30   #1700
BHPian

I am sorry if I sound like a pessimist but I disagree with the philosophy that if we have better infratructure (say, US/Europe like infrastructure), then we will have better behaving Indians.
Wider roads, more parking, state-wide job creation will all help in decongesting but will not help in reducing chaos. Indian roads will remain Indian irrespective of how modern you make them.
If you want proof, go and visit any Indian place where infrastructure is made world-class like up-market malls or modern airports. Observe how Indians behave whenever there is a situation where personal sacrifice and mutual cooperation are required for most optimum overall results. For example, the baggage collection area and boarding gates in any airport, line in a multiplex ticket counter or any such place where an Indian needs to cooperate with others for the best overall results.

These places are frequented by elite Indians - so there is no passing the buck to cab drivers, bus drivers etc. You will how see elite Indians behave under best infrastructure conditions.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:57   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Where is Bangalore heading to? Saturday it took me about 2.5hours from Yeshwanth pura to MArathalli, i can count how many times i used 3rger most of the time i was in 1 & 2....

One good thing which i noticed, when a ambulance had to pass a clogged road people tried to make way, goods auto drivers played a vital role he, thankfully some humanity left....

now the bad one, the plac where i stay is connected by a narrow road, since its very close to couple of IT hubs this area has many of the IT folks residing...
on saturday i saw many of the educated/IT looking fols driving fast/rashly in the narrow roads and for the once who where walking have a tough time and this is usual scene.

i agree with "sabynag" we might have 10lane roads but the morons will make a mess of it too! and as all know here education does not matter! i think we have become insensitive and its getting worse!

I think leaving in Bangalore will become close to impossible in about 5years, very unfortunate!
Old 19th July 2010, 11:18   #1702
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
I am sorry if I sound like a pessimist but I disagree with the philosophy that if we have better infratructure (say, US/Europe like infrastructure), then we will have better behaving Indians.
Wider roads, more parking, state-wide job creation will all help in decongesting but will not help in reducing chaos. Indian roads will remain Indian irrespective of how modern you make them.
If you want proof, go and visit any Indian place where infrastructure is made world-class like up-market malls or modern airports. Observe how Indians behave whenever there is a situation where personal sacrifice and mutual cooperation are required for most optimum overall results. For example, the baggage collection area and boarding gates in any airport, line in a multiplex ticket counter or any such place where an Indian needs to cooperate with others for the best overall results.

These places are frequented by elite Indians - so there is no passing the buck to cab drivers, bus drivers etc. You will how see elite Indians behave under best infrastructure conditions.
Its about culture and basic etiquette. Without doubt we are one of the most uncultured lot. SO many times you can see a window roll down of a nice sedan and garbage land on the road. Bangalore may have one of the most educated crowd, but the way people behave, puts all that education to shame. Its about strict enforcement of rules and basic education being passed on. In smaller places people do not realize, in
Just today- a "Saftware" engineer on his swanky bike, with a laptop on his back, happily hit my rear view and did not even bother to apologize and went away. Talk about basic stuff, clearly a long long way for us to go and even claim to be at par with any developed nation when it comes to decency and basic culture that is expected of citizens.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:20   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

I once asked a BMTC driver near BEL Road if he can take pain to look at this ORVMs and drive for which he sarcastically replied "nanige mirror nodo abhyaasa illa" (I dont have the habit of looking at the mirrors).

D....
Oh yeah I've heard this before, apparently "mirrors are for ladies" . It is "unmanly" to look at mirrors while driving or even while reversing.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:40   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Its about culture and basic etiquette. Without doubt we are one of the most uncultured lot.
Talk about basic stuff, clearly a long long way for us to go and even claim to be at par with any developed nation when it comes to decency and basic culture that is expected of citizens.
What is even more sad is that we were not always like this.
The long way that we have to go has already been traversed earlier. We just lost the plot and regressed culturally.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:17   #1705
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What is even more sad is that we were not always like this.
The long way that we have to go has already been traversed earlier. We just lost the plot and regressed culturally.
This is surely a HUGE hope- but wish there could be a rule- all existing folks need to go through a TEST and have something like a TBHP sticker on them post them passing the test. Those with NONE- should be barred from the roads. If folks with a sticker violate and if 3 witnesses can validate the claim- heavy fines to be imposed and with 3 fines, license cancelled and take test again. For a test- impose higher fee if taking again before 5 years or so.
Is this SO complicated? All it takes is a will to implement and people at the top to be focused.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:29   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
This is surely a HUGE hope- but wish there could be a rule- all existing folks need to go through a TEST and have something like a TBHP sticker on them post them passing the test. Those with NONE- should be barred from the roads. If folks with a sticker violate and if 3 witnesses can validate the claim- heavy fines to be imposed and with 3 fines, license cancelled and take test again. For a test- impose higher fee if taking again before 5 years or so.
Is this SO complicated? All it takes is a will to implement and people at the top to be focused.
We are again falling in the same trap - just like infrastructure can't cure India's driving chaos, stringent rules can't ensure better law enforcement.

Making rules and following/enforcing them are two completely different things. If you want to formulate a good solution, try in the lines of how to get people to obey the exisiting rules, how to make best use of the existing infrastrucutre and so on.

.... or, you can start with this : How to get 10 Indians to work as a team without any team leader / manager monitoring their activities.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:58   #1707
BHPian

How about organising a TBHP campaign to improve road sense/awareness.. ?
Old 20th July 2010, 16:28   #1708
BHPian

Volvo bus driver's antics

We were in Bangalore last weekend, we took the V365 bus from Majestic to Banneghatta Zoo. Enroute, the bus driver stopped at a fire station to get his drinking water, later the at a road side stall to buy biscuits for himself. By the time he was near BTM Layout a second V365 was racing with him and both stopped at a stop. There was one other volvo bus in front of us and the other V365 ahead of that. Our smart driver over took the one in front of us and swerved to the left even as passengers were alighting from the bus ahead.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:36   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
.... or, you can start with this : How to get 10 Indians to work as a team without any team leader / manager monitoring their activities.
Or we can start with "What does a queue mean?"

Old 20th July 2010, 21:15   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Or we can start with "What does a queue mean?"

Here is a quiz :

There are two queues A and B of equal length. Queue A formed by only Indians while queue B has no Indian. Which queue has more people ?

Most Viewed