Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 11:01   #1756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Madivala market signal (@ Kripanithi College - coming from Sarjapur road) is becoming a pain in the A** day-by-day.
No vehicle stops at the red signal, they keep on coming. Even BMTC buses - I wonder what's their urgency!!
This place has seriously become a nightmare. The private buses with their blaring air horn freaks out anyone crossing the signal even if its your turn to move. They just come in not bothering about the signal.
And I thought those blaring air horns were banned here.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:08   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Madivala market signal (@ Kripanithi College - coming from Sarjapur road) is becoming a pain in the A** day-by-day.
No vehicle stops at the red signal, they keep on coming. Even BMTC buses - I wonder what's their urgency!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
This place has seriously become a nightmare. The private buses with their blaring air horn freaks out anyone crossing the signal even if its your turn to move. They just come in not bothering about the signal.
And to make things worse, there is a bus-stop immediately after the signal. So the buses drive to the extreme left diagonally across the road, blocking all other vehicles.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:17   #1758
Senior - BHPian

A strange behaviour which I have noticed in Bangalore is that people prefer to overtake you from the wrong side even is there is sufficient space on the right side.

Also, they prefer to overtake very close (within inches) to your vehicle even if there is sufficient space on the other side.

Last, but not the least - after overtaking, people will cut you off and force you to brake. If someone overtakes you from the left, he will cut off to the right. If someone overtakes from your right, he will cut off to the left.

Another strange behaviour which I have noticed in Bangalore is that people drive as if only they are moving and everyone else is stationary. While overtaking, they fail to take into account the speed of the vehicle being overtaken and the speed of the vehicles coming from the front.

Yesterday one moron on a CBZ overtook another moron who was driving in the middle of the road. I was coming from the opposite direction in my car. The CBZ guy totally misplanned the overtaking. I realised it and indicated this to him by honking and flashing, but instead of aborting the overtaking, he continued to overtake the other biker in an extremely rash and irresponsible manner. Had I not slammed the brakes in time, the CBZ guy would have landed on my windscreen.

Quote:
I feel bad for the students of this college, I wonder if they get to hear the lecturer in all that traffic noise.

Rohan
Old 13th August 2010, 12:17   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And to make things worse, there is a bus-stop immediately after the signal. So the buses drive to the extreme left diagonally across the road, blocking all other vehicles.
I fail to understand the root cause behind this. Even though it is easier for the buses to stop a little further from the signals, they bring themselves to a stop right at the signals. Is it due to old habits that are difficult to change, for both the driver and the passengers waiting on the road ? Beats me, for sure.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:27   #1760
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
This Thread is just the place i was looking to express my sentiments on the Road Sense here.
I stay in Kodigehalli and there is a railway crossing i need to pass.
What drives me up the wall is when the gate is closed and there is a line formed, someone always think they are smarter than the rest and jumps the queue.
I experience the same thing near the Coco Cola factory where the connection to Bellary road is comparitively narrow. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to take the wrong side and block the incoming traffic towards Kodigehalli/Sahakarnagar. Am sure you must have experienced this too.

But my experiences of driving in North Bangalore are comparitively better than the South. Am not sure why. Even my wife agrees with this. No offence to South B'loreans ofcourse :-)
Old 13th August 2010, 13:00   #1761
BHPian

Around 7:30 pm last evening. Travelling from Elec City on Hosur Road towards Silk board. The traffic is immense at Hosa Road Jn signal. After waiting/crawling at the signal for about 3 times, I hit the green. Accelerate and at Singasandra, at aound 60 kmph I see a dancing single light behind me (I am the right most lane, some distance behind a relatively empty truck). It is a biker, weaving in and out of the middle lane. I have noticed that some bikers enjoy zig-zag driving even when there is an empty lane. The middle lane is not packed.

This biker comes close to me and then cuts into the middle lane, overtakes me pretty fast, and as usual cuts me in front to get closer to the truck and again dances back into the middle lane, thoroughly enjoying (I think he had his helmet on. He had a backpack for sure).

He overtakes the truck using the middle lane and then moves back to the right lane, another step in the dance.

I shift to the middle lane (indicator ON) which doesn't have much traffic.

See that the entire right lane was slowing down rapidly and a huge trail of red lights of cars in the right lane brighten. I see the biker struggling with brakes, skidding and doing the real 'dance on the ice' now. He hits the rear of a swift, (it was too fast, I didn't slow down since middle lane was fast) and falls.

Hope he didn't sustain major injuries.

When will people learn? You definitely will never become a hero on two wheels, no matter whatever you do on the road.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:03   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
There's absolutely no reason for anyone to take the wrong side and block the incoming traffic
experience this to the hilt on the level crossing on outer ring road between goraguntepalya and BEL circle. absolute mayhem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
But my experiences of driving in North Bangalore are comparitively better than the South. Am not sure why.
+1, i reside in north Bangalore and always hold my breath while driving south of lalbagh. guess more cars and high vehicle population compared to north Bangalore. disclaimer - just camparing and an open guess, not an opinion - things go terribly wrong everywhere.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:06   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Going by the last several pages of this thread, I think the thread title needs to be changed back to its original one, as there are hardly any appreciations coming !
Appreciation: I have notice that some of the higher speedbreakers have either been removed or reduced.
Rant: This has made matters worse by creating a trough where the speedbreaker used to be.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:15   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Appreciation: I have notice that some of the higher speedbreakers have either been removed or reduced.
Rant: This has made matters worse by creating a trough where the speedbreaker used to be.
No wonder life in Bangalore is full of ups and downs, as they say !
Old 13th August 2010, 13:17   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
A strange behaviour which I have noticed in Bangalore is that people prefer to overtake you from the wrong side even is there is sufficient space on the right side.
Last, but not the least - after overtaking, people will cut you off and force you to brake. If someone overtakes you from the left, he will cut off to the right. If someone overtakes from your right, he will cut off to the left.
This is not at all strange. Everyday I come across such people in Bangalore.

My problem here is that I get provoked if someone cuts across slowing me down, and I tend to do the same back to them. I have been trying to control my temptation but I am not very successful in that.

Even this morning a Scorpio cut me across at Madivala market, I overtook him immediately and I made him follow me at 2nd gear at 20kmph till BETL flyover starting point.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 13th August 2010 at 13:19.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:59   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
This is not at all strange. Everyday I come across such people in Bangalore.

My problem here is that I get provoked if someone cuts across slowing me down, and I tend to do the same back to them. I have been trying to control my temptation but I am not very successful in that.

Even this morning a Scorpio cut me across at Madivala market, I overtook him immediately and I made him follow me at 2nd gear at 20kmph till BETL flyover starting point.

The SUV/MUV drivers are particularly bad at this - they honk like its a medical emergency ...overtake and then trundle along at <40kph without bothering about anybody else.
Old 13th August 2010, 14:46   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I fail to understand the root cause behind this. Even though it is easier for the buses to stop a little further from the signals, they bring themselves to a stop right at the signals. Is it due to old habits that are difficult to change, for both the driver and the passengers waiting on the road ? Beats me, for sure.
I am not sure why do they have a bus stop right after the signal. This is a scene that repeats itself everyday : While coming from Sony World towards Inner Ring Road, you hit the first signal (Ejipura signal?) and invariably there is always a jam because of the bus stop right after the signal. For my part, I always try to be on the RHS as soon as I approach this signal.
Old 13th August 2010, 14:56   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
I am not sure why do they have a bus stop right after the signal. This is a scene that repeats itself everyday : While coming from Sony World towards Inner Ring Road, you hit the first signal (Ejipura signal?) and invariably there is always a jam because of the bus stop right after the signal. For my part, I always try to be on the RHS as soon as I approach this signal.
I also drive here very often.
But if you are on right lane, you will be struck behind the vehicles who are turning right there. What do we do? Ultimately get sandwiched!!
Old 13th August 2010, 15:19   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure why do they have a bus stop right after the signal.
Have you noticed the Domlur flyover? While coming from HAL side towards MG Road, there is a left towards Koramangala and then a left ramp up towards Indiranagar side. The place where the left ramp starts is an informal bus stop and people tend to crowd there, blocking the road. Some folks get down from the bus and dart across right through vehicle traffic.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:39   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
That is a million dollar question. Not just sonyworld, every signal, right after the signal there will be a bus stop. The same in Ejapura signal. St Johns Water Tank signal, Near the mosque in Koramalgala 80feet road,Koramangala BDA signal... I think the planners at that time thought, these buses will anyway stop at the signal, why not have a proper stop but never thought through the implications.

More than that what irritates me the most is buses trying to overtake each other at the stop, The bus guy behind knows very well the bus ahead is going to start in another 30-40 seconds, but will still turn 90 degrees to over take the bus, blocking the entire road.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks