Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 18:43   #1831
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with Latheesh that majority of the drivers don't have discipline and road sense. Even i have seen many don't give way for Ambulances and even cops are not clearing the way for ambulances when there is traffic jam.

Also, there is another thing that i noticed in bangalore is, many roads are not in good size to have either two lane or four lane. I have seen roads (especially steep roads which has up and downs), which are 3 lanes in size in which each side gets only ~1.5 lane. Ofcourse, bangalore is a city which was not planned/thought to grow to a level, what it is today. On such roads, its difficult for vehicles to get sufficent space to follow lane discpline(if at all someone wants to follow). Its worse when a BMTC bus and an auto-rickshaw goes side-by-side.

-Ravi
Old 27th September 2010, 23:05   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I totally agree with Latheesh that majority of the drivers don't have discipline and road sense. Even i have seen many don't give way for Ambulances and even cops are not clearing the way for ambulances when there is traffic jam.

Also, there is another thing that i noticed in bangalore is, many roads are not in good size to have either two lane or four lane. I have seen roads (especially steep roads which has up and downs), which are 3 lanes in size in which each side gets only ~1.5 lane. Ofcourse, bangalore is a city which was not planned/thought to grow to a level, what it is today. On such roads, its difficult for vehicles to get sufficent space to follow lane discpline(if at all someone wants to follow). Its worse when a BMTC bus and an auto-rickshaw goes side-by-side.

-Ravi
Lane discipline is a developed-nation concept that is impractical in Indian context. On Indian roads, lanes are marked to serve only two purposes - it gives a look and feel that India is catching up with developed countries and it leads to higher tender money (=> more money for everyone connected with the transaction). It serves no other purpose. If anyone tries to find out any other utility of lane marking and doesn't find any, it is not the fault of our govt.

As in any product design, the end product must match the specifications for its intended use. Now try to answer the following questions and come up with a specification for perfect lane marking in Indian context. Take it as a challenge !

1. The users on the road can move in any angle to the overall traffic flow direction - from perfect alignment to absolutely opposit and any angle in between
2. High std dev of vehicle sizes and speed. Determine the right width of the lane so that it can accomodate anything from a stray dog running for its life, to a confused buffalo, to a gymnast biker to a huge bus or truck, at the same time ensuring not much loss of real estate. If a wide lane is occupied only by a buffalo, it's a poor design as disciplined drivers will have to match the speed of that buffalo in order to stick to the lane, if there is no overtaking lane available

The bottomline is that "lane discipline" has two parts - "lane" and "discipline". The developed countries first ensured that discipline is in place and then went ahead with the design of lanes. In those countries, people don't get disciplined when they see a lane, they are disciplined in every walk of life and they demonstrate the same in the lanes too.
In case of India, we quickly copied the lanes but simply forgot that we as a nation don't have the other half of the phrase.
Old 28th September 2010, 10:41   #1833
JVH
Senior - BHPian

There was a big mess this morning near Brigade metropolis on Outer Ring road. Metro digging has started and am sure will be another bottleneck on that route until whenever it is finished. So, don't expect a breezy drive after you successfully emerge from the KR Puram battle while going towards Whitefield.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:51   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
The developed countries first ensured that discipline is in place and then went ahead with the design of lanes. In those countries, people don't get disciplined when they see a lane, they are disciplined in every walk of life and they demonstrate the same in the lanes too.
In case of India, we quickly copied the lanes but simply forgot that we as a nation don't have the other half of the phrase.
Quoted for Truth. Very well Said Sabynag. Unfortunately how true and also applies to so many things other than driving. :-(
Old 28th September 2010, 12:06   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
The bottomline is that "lane discipline" has two parts - "lane" and "discipline". The developed countries first ensured that discipline is in place and then went ahead with the design of lanes. In those countries, people don't get disciplined when they see a lane, they are disciplined in every walk of life and they demonstrate the same in the lanes too.
More than 'Discipline' I think the real problem is with 'Attitude'

REASON- Forget about cab/auto/bus drivers. How about those highly educated Indians who drive nicely in developed country and do exactly opposite in India. I see these more of these kind of idiots behind than the first one.

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th September 2010 at 12:08.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:29   #1836
BHPian

When I visited Chennai, I noticed that there were separate lanes marked for Two Wheelers, Auto Rickshaws, 4 Wheelers etc. Ofcourse , no one was following those lanes, but I guess they could implement the same in Bangalore and hope that atleast a few people start following those and then hope others pick up from them.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:34   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
There was a big mess this morning near Brigade metropolis on Outer Ring road. Metro digging has started and am sure will be another bottleneck on that route until whenever it is finished. So, don't expect a breezy drive after you successfully emerge from the KR Puram battle while going towards Whitefield.
Outer Ring Road has been a mess for almost 4-5 months now. Not any particular spot - but the entire stretch from Sarjapur junction till Hebbal.
And it's gonna be like this for atleast next 10 months-1 year.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:37   #1838
BHPian

It took a full hour to cross the Bellandur Junction yesterday morning - was stuck at the junction from 11:20 till 12:30. The reason - traffic towards Intel cameup the wrong way and blocked the entire road (and traffic) proceeding towards SunCity signal from Bellandur.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:39   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
More than 'Discipline' I think the real problem is with 'Attitude'

REASON- Forget about cab/auto/bus drivers. How about those highly educated Indians who drive nicely in developed country and do exactly opposite in India. I see these more of these kind of idiots behind than the first one.
The population factor matters most.
Everyone want to have a space and it is practically impossible to have all disciplines with a population like ours. Else we need to have some military rule and all freedoms jailed,like China.

All developed nations were able to develop because they have very few population to handle.

Its almost like our school/college classes.
When we've 20-30 kids in a class, the teacher (Govt) have better control on each student and they know the +ves and -ves and each student's needs. Then they can teach and control them better.

Now compare it to a class of 60-80 people.(its there in many colleges). Some will be sleeping. Some listening to ipods/phones/FMs. Some singing.
And less than 20% listens to the lecturer. Its a mess.

Thats exactly happening in our country.

Frankly speaking, the happiness and that specia feeling you get when you cross attibele (when going to chennai/salem side) ,can never be felt in a developed country.
Old 28th September 2010, 13:02   #1840
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Outer Ring Road has been a mess for almost 4-5 months now. Not any particular spot - but the entire stretch from Sarjapur junction till Hebbal.
And it's gonna be like this for atleast next 10 months-1 year.
Am talking about a mess at around 7.00am

Am also aware of the ORR construction work but they are all pre- KR Puram. Normally, after KR Puram, you could see the traffic moving decently. But after yet another fiasco like this morning, we'll be doomed for sure.
Old 28th September 2010, 13:05   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
It took a full hour to cross the Bellandur Junction yesterday morning - was stuck at the junction from 11:20 till 12:30. The reason - traffic towards Intel cameup the wrong way and blocked the entire road (and traffic) proceeding towards SunCity signal from Bellandur.
I have been avoiding ORR ever since the flyover works started at Sarjapur Road, Bellandur and Kadubeesenahalli. I take the Logica CMG, Yemlur, Bellandur route and this saves me a lot of time. Recently, I have started even avoiding the Bellandur signal by directly taking some innner routes which directly takes me to the road near the Shobha apartments. Quite handy if you need to avoid the mess on the ORR, especially during peak hours.
Old 28th September 2010, 13:45   #1842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I have been avoiding ORR ever since the flyover works started at Sarjapur Road, Bellandur and Kadubeesenahalli. I take the Logica CMG, Yemlur, Bellandur route and this saves me a lot of time. Recently, I have started even avoiding the Bellandur signal by directly taking some innner routes which directly takes me to the road near the Shobha apartments. Quite handy if you need to avoid the mess on the ORR, especially during peak hours.
Newpunter,

Could you please post the detailed route. If possible, a marked map?
As of now, I join Sarjapur road from Jail road and take the ORR all the way till KRPuram.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:08   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
The population factor matters most.
Everyone want to have a space and it is practically impossible to have all disciplines with a population like ours. Else we need to have some military rule and all freedoms jailed,like China.

All developed nations were able to develop because they have very few population to handle.
Well, now I know why Bangalore is this.

Dude, if the population is more, the infrastructure should be built in a way to manage the population - LIKE MANY OTHER STATES IN INDIA.

By your rule, if there is too much of population in the jail, there will be no rule there . Stop thinking this was an appoint few more jailers..!!!!

Got the solution?
Old 28th September 2010, 14:21   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Newpunter,

Could you please post the detailed route. If possible, a marked map?
As of now, I join Sarjapur road from Jail road and take the ORR all the way till KRPuram.
Once you get onto ORR from Sarjapur Road, you can continue on the service road till Bellandur , then take a left turn near Bellandur junction. Take a right turn at the dead end of this road and keep following this road along the lake side ( you have to cross 2 small bridges on the lake ). Then you need to take a right turn when you see a big wall ahead of you ( this is the Old airport boundary). Keep following this road and you will reach Logica CMG and then the Old Airport road. Turn right to get onto the Old Airport Road towards Marathahalli.

Now instead of going straight to Marathahalli, take the first left turn just opposite to the Petrol bunk. Keep going on this road and you will eventually meet the ORR near the place where the vehicles going to Whitefield take a U - turn. This will save you a lot of head ache on the ORR and the traffic is mostly light ( although you might have to wait for a little while near the bridge on the lake , nothing too bad though ).
I will see if i can post a map of the route.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:28   #1845
BANNED

Question is, Is traffic education required to get into higher positions? Is not, then how do you ASSUME, people, when they are promoted SUDDENLY acquire traffic sense?
Quote:
Even a few people working at higher positions in companies like VPs, etc drive in similar manner in their luxury cars of course.
Hey buddy, we are discussion the colossal problem of Bangalore traffic. Does the same problems exist other parts of India? Then we MUST replace 'Bangalore Traffic' in the name of this thread to 'Indian Traffic'.
Quote:
According to me 99 percent of Indian drivers do not have proper driving skills/knwledge/discipline.
Please, could you elaborate on the happiness part of NH7?
Quote:
Frankly speaking, the happiness and that specia feeling you get when you cross attibele (when going to chennai/salem side) ,can never be felt in a developed country.
Hey buddy, is it possible to disclose the names of those STATES?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Dude, if the population is more, the infrastructure should be built in a way to manage the population - LIKE MANY OTHER STATES IN INDIA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks