Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 20:46   #1891
BHPian

@Benbsb29, now a days I have stopped taking the Karmelram/Varthur road to whitefield. That road is becoming too city like! Biggest problem there is the railway crossing where people just create a havoc and then at Varthur town problems caused by parked vehicles! If I am early in the evening, I still take this road though. I come from Agara/HSR & take on ORR road for the past 3 wks, this takes about 50 minutes for 17 kms! How do you find the Karmelram road?
Old 18th October 2010, 16:45   #1892
BHPian

Please guys carry a Pepper Spray- I would not advice any other weapon if you do not know how to to use it?? Spray is an area weapon-meaning you can get two or three persons with one go. Just be careful not to spray yourself-keep it in the compartment near the steering so that its easily accessible. Nearly had a similar incident, about three years back, at Koramangla when a little boy purposely tried to come in front of my car-gave the little rascal hell with my booming voice. This an old trick- thank God for my 6' 3" height.

Colonel Jude
Old 18th October 2010, 20:04   #1893
BHPian

Have been hunting for a pepper spray. Found this site on tbhp Link
Is it available in medical shops?
Old 18th October 2010, 20:10   #1894
Senior - BHPian

We have Cobra Spray available pretty much in every major chain and it retails for INR 499. My wife has it in her purse everytime. Thankfully she hasn't used it. I guess this is also discussed in some other thread on the forum. For your sake I could advise MKA, SPAR hypermarket or BB to get it. Or google for Cobra Spray in India and order online. Hope this helps.
Old 18th October 2010, 20:10   #1895
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Its available in Health & Glow outlets for 499/-

I had one in my driver side storage, bought another one for the passenger area as well.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:07   #1896
Distinguished - BHPian

Not exactly a rant but an event on the road today.

Time: 11:30am
Place: Ejipura Main Road

I have been taking this road to hit the IRR and then Jakkasandra to EC instead of the usual NGV, Sony World to avoid a few signals. Just about half a kilometer before the Signal, with my eyes on the road/traffic ahead, I see a biker suddenly hit an oncoming Autorickshaw and the pillion rider, a lady along with her son about an year old falling onto the road.

As I was just a few meters behind this incident, I parked my car and rush towards the site as my major concern was if anything happened to the little kid.

Before I reach, a passerby lady picks up the kid who's crying and I check for any visible scars or injuries all over its body and head. Luckily there were none, thank God!!

Then I ask the mother, who was in state of shock to sit down while I rush again to get my bottle of water from the car.

Only now I see that the Rider is holding on to the collars of the Autodriver while the latter is pleading (now I know it was the Auto driver's mistake who tried to overtake a 2 wheeler and sneak in suddenly while its body hit the pillion's back on the 2 wheeler coming in its opposite direction and they fell down).

In about 5 minutes, 8-9 autodrivers stopped and as usual all came near the scene. To my surprise, since the driver was pleading/apologising big time for his fault and for the fact that there was an Infant involved who barely missed getting hurt due to the fall, not even one of the drivers came forward to intervene and fled the scene.

I then told the rider to calm down and first take wife and kid to the clinic opposite to the spot since no one was fully sure about any possible injury to the mother or the child. The Auto driver was asked by the public to accompany the trio who decently followed the command.

This was the first time I actually stopped immediately, got down and rushed for someone's help as I witnessed them fall so badly. I was feeling so relieved after this incident realising nothing major happened and I said, this is absolutely the least that I could do and still be a good human at the end of it all. I felt good actually.

Also learnt the fact that the Autodrivers can never form gangs and attack the weaker victim if it is almost proven that the fault was the driver's and if there is a potential injury involving a lady or a kid. The rider was holding the collar of the driver for more than 5 minutes in anger and none of the autodrivers bothered this time.
Old 25th October 2010, 18:05   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Try this one. This company is based in Bangalore. I recently ordered a couple of Pepper sprays from this site and the response was prompt. Have one in my car now and the other is in my wife's handbag. Feel much safer this way.

Spike Labs .:. The New Language Of Self Defense
Old 26th October 2010, 08:24   #1898
BHPian

Time: 11:30am
Place: Outer Ring Road : Just after Sarjapur Jn Flyover

Cops checking autos for documents.
One smart Alec autowallah decides to give them a pass and tries to jump over the divider to the other side.(He was already on the right lane).
Hits his rear right tire on a rock near the divider, gets airborne, loses control, comes and rams my car in the center lane!
I slow down and block his way so that he doesnt get away. Call the cops who were already checking some other autos.

At least the cops were helpful.
My point was that I cant expect compensation from a errant autowallah, but at least the cops can take him to task for something.

The cops requested me to file a FIR at Madiwala PS. I took a pic of the no. plate. and then discovered that the auto didnt have the driver regn plate inside!

Took the car straight to Concorde motors.
Damages : Right rear door : multiple dents,scratches
Body frame : near the tire well
right front door
Estimate : 14k

Called up Royal Sundaram to lodge a Claim.
The person had pronounce MTI. I wished I spoke to him in Kannada instead of English (in spite of choosing English thru IVR and I cannot speak Kannada).

The person was not at all interested in the details.(A stark contrast against TATA AIG, with whom I had another claim, and it was very professionally handled).

I was informed that my claim would be logged in tomorrow (26/10) at Chennai. I fail to understand that a online claim system does not allow to register a claim in-situ and that I need to wait for a full day for a simple thing as a Claims Reference!

When I enquired about the surveyor, the Support agent had the audacity of giving me the contact details of the Surveyor and asked me to contact the surveyor directly on his mobile!
I am really shocked at the unprofessional manner in which this process runs.
I was even more surprised when I was asked to submit the Driving License original copy. If I expect to drive around in a courtesy car/alternate vehicle, how am I expected to do that without a DL?

So, overall, another rocking day in bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image_026.jpg  

Old 29th October 2010, 13:00   #1899
BHPian

^^ Even I have faced this issue recently. This week when I had to claim insurance for my Figo's scratches, I was told that we need to submit the original DL. RC is understood but makes no sense to submit the original DL.
Sorry for the off topic but can anyone explain in brief the reason behind this.
Old 31st October 2010, 20:27   #1900
BHPian

Submitting original documents is ridiculous. I did not have to submit anything original when I claimed from ICICI Lombard.

This year I switched to Bajaj. Not sure about their way of handling claims. But definitely I would stay away from Royal Sundaram or any other insurance company asking for original documents. Thanks for the information.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:23   #1901
BHPian

Update on the above

I love the Concorde bodyshop!
They have done an excellent job! hats off to them...

Seems that all the coaxing and cajoling paid off as I got my car back right on time

Total repair bill : 10.5k
My contribution : 1.4k

I went for Royal Sundaram coz they gave the best IDV.

Now I need a 3M Surface protection treatement and a decent ICE upgrade.
Am planning to check with the highers up in RS on the originals policy.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:09   #1902
BHPian

Got a ticket today near Sarjapur Flyover. I had to take a U-turn under the newly constructed flyover and i didn't see the No Entry board near Sarjapur road. The cops were waiting for me under the bridge and stopped me immediately. The junior cop tried to scare me by saying that the fine would be 200/- and was probably expecting me to pay some chai money to get out. I said I will pay the full fine , whatever the amount ( I do carry a list of all traffic violations and the respective fines with me ).
The cop issued me the ticket for 100/- from his blackberry. I paid the fine and said sorry for breaking the rule and left. The cop also told me that there had been 37 accidents in that spot due to people not following the rules.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:49   #1903
BHPian

What can one do ?

Just about an hour back.

On the flyover near Agara lake, coming from HSR towards Sarjapur, saw a Volvo coming from the opposite direction. Was horrified to see the huge bus coming on at that speed on a damn one-way flyover.

For a second, thought about blocking his path cost him the time he tried to save. But, too risky.

So much for all the hoopola in the papers recently about how only the A-list drivers are chosen for Volvo duty.

Its really such a helpless situation here on our roads.

Grin & bear it ?
Old 15th November 2010, 18:17   #1904
BHPian

I got fined for parking violation in from of the Tata Indicom showroom/office opposite Forum in Koramangala.
I had asked the security if parking there is ok. He said 'no problem.' When I came back, I saw the front tyres clamped and traffic cops waiting few feet ahead :(

Also saw a family in an i10 whose car was also clamped, but somehow the clamp broke. Maybe they moved the car without realising that the clamp was there.

Just cautioning others - parking is not allowed in that spot. Its easy to get carried over by vacant space there if you dont get parking inside Forum mall.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:20   #1905
Senior - BHPian

^^
I parked the car infront of showroom on saturday. I did not see any 'NO PARKING' sign infront of the building.

Most Viewed