Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 12:18   #1996
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Everyday I see this nonsense going on.
Is this happening even now?

Quote:
So we about 5-6 of us started stopping riders riding on the footpath and asked them to get off.

Thats a nice thing you have done. But the problem is, you can do the same thing couple of time, not more than that, isn't it?

Who will take the responsibilty of taking this up everyday? I hope not the public, since all have their own things to mind, day in and day out.

Ask the traffic cops about the disorder on the roads, they will blame the government for not giving sufficient people to manage.

Quote:
I realized it was a mistake to try something like this.My wife fears going out with me, because as per her nothings going to change.
You have realized, its good for you and your family. Dont take these things personally, as it may do no good to you. I am happy that the kid didn't get hurt in the process.

In the first place, having kids help you was the wrong move. Hypothetically, if something had gone wrong with the kids, you would have been pulled up by their families.

A ground sweeping revolution needs to happen here in INDIA, till then nothing, i mean not a thing will change. Take my words for it, your spouse is RIGHT.

You can only take the horse ( in these cases, it is often the donkeys) to the pond, cannot make it drink.

Great effort with great risk, i appreciate.

Exercise "Restraint"
Old 11th January 2011, 12:55   #1997
BANNED

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Is this happening even now?
It is. And I expected it..

Quote:
Thats a nice thing you have done. But the problem is, you can do the same thing couple of time, not more than that, isn't it?
Yes. I am aware of that too. It was to give a message. I am now going to approach the school administration and the local corporator/BBMP in charge to raise the height of the pavement. Problem is people using wheelchairs will get inconvenienced. Need to think of something else. Work in progress.

Quote:
Who will take the responsibilty of taking this up everyday? I hope not the public, since all have their own things to mind, day in and day out.
I am public, I am taking it up. And yeah I have issues too.

Quote:
Ask the traffic cops about the disorder on the roads, they will blame the government for not giving sufficient people to manage.
I have shielded my thought process to this rational. It just impedes any action from me.

Quote:
In the first place, having kids help you was the wrong move. Hypothetically, if something had gone wrong with the kids, you would have been pulled up by their families.
Yes, I was quite rudely awakened to the realities of this city. I would have never imagined that we are at such a low that the superman could raise his hand on a child of 10 years.

Quote:
your spouse is RIGHT.
LOL, when is she not.

Quote:
Exercise "Restraint"
Difficult man. Really difficult.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:37   #1998
BHPian

Lived in Bangalore during my student days (when traffic was not so bad as I hear it is now) and I follow this thread now and then. Spitfire, it takes guts to stand up for what you believe in as consistently as you seem to be doing. Good for you.

On a positive note, if bikes on the wrong side there are still not so common that people don't even comment on them, that is a good thing. I like my city but hate its traffic - here I have seen a traffic cop riding a bike (1) with two pillions, (2) on the wrong side, (3) without a helmet, (4) without mirrors, (5) with front number plate illegible and (6) talking on his mobile.

(Actually he wasn't doing (6), not when I saw him at least - just put that in for effect )
Old 11th January 2011, 14:14   #1999
BHPian

I totally concur with spitfire. Somebody has to do what others refuse to do. I have tried my hand at it and failed time and again. But that does not mean it does not work. Today spitfire has moved a few people with his actions. There is a slight chance tomorrow somebody else will follow suit. The kids would have volunteered to help since probably nobody else wished to help him. Yes there was some risk in involving kids into this exercise, but would anybody else at that place have stopped their bikes/cars, got out of the comfort of their air-conditioned car and helped him ?

I believe that the point he is trying to make is that we cannot sit back and relax and hope that someday everything will fall into place on its own and everything will be set right by the so called "authorities".
Old 11th January 2011, 14:22   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Difficult man. Really difficult.
I am concerned about your safety man.
All it will take is a confrontation with a politically well connected rough and that will be end of your story. Forgot that Delhi episode where a lady was shot dead cause she tried to interfere in a traffic quarrel?? Nothing happened. I wonder if anyone remembers that incident also.

Sorry for the harsh choice of words. But thats the reality.
Stay safe. Your family needs you.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:33   #2001
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I am concerned about your safety man.
And people tell me Bangalore is not that bad

Yeah i get what you are saying and appreciate it. But once the adrenaline starts pumping its difficult to hold back. I need to meditate or just get back to my hometown. Maybe I am not made for a big city....
Old 12th January 2011, 10:08   #2002
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
And people tell me Bangalore is not that bad

Yeah i get what you are saying and appreciate it. But once the adrenaline starts pumping its difficult to hold back. I need to meditate or just get back to my hometown. Maybe I am not made for a big city....
Spitfire,
You should carry a handycam/video camera with you when you approach people breaking the law. In the mid 90s when I first acquired a camera, me and my cousin pretended to be television crew filming people who broke the law (near vijaynagar bus stand). Even seemingly huge goonda type guys were willing to accept fault & apologize(after riding on the divider/footpath). Some even combed their hair. People probably care little for TV cameras now, but may think twice before getting violent.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:19   #2003
BHPian

This is not a rant.

I was waiting at the Electronics City signal, this noon and see a red Figo stop behind me. I usually watch RVM and was glad that the Figo-dude was also doing the same, but for a different reason. He then leaned-over and started smooching the female passenger. Both seemed very happy flirting like that, and I had a smile on my face too.

They completely seemed ignorant of the fact that I was watching them, and so were the other users on the road. A kiss on the lips, followed by some on the cheeks and some more on the lips, are all fine; but not sliding the hands inside to feel some flesh in broad daylight at the signal. I tried to honk but moved since the signal turned green. If not, maybe I would have told them to keep it under wraps or maybe not. But it was gross man!

If You know the person driving a KA regd Figo with *336 plates, tell him that its gross to do that in broad daylight, in a car with no tints upfront.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 12th January 2011 at 13:21.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:39   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
This is not a rant.

I was waiting at the Electronics City signal, this noon and see a red Figo stop behind me. I usually watch RVM and was glad that the Figo-dude was also doing the same, but for a different reason. He then leaned-over and started smooching the female passenger. Both seemed very happy flirting like that, and I had a smile on my face too.

They completely seemed ignorant of the fact that I was watching them, and so were the other users on the road. A kiss on the lips, followed by some on the cheeks and some more on the lips, are all fine; but not sliding the hands inside to feel some flesh in broad daylight at the signal. I tried to honk but moved since the signal turned green. If not, maybe I would have told them to keep it under wraps or maybe not. But it was gross man!

If You know the person driving a KA regd Figo with *336 plates, tell him that its gross to do that in broad daylight, in a car with no tints upfront.
hehe.. that's a rant

i should have been there and we'd have 'em pictures all over this thread as an example of what not to do at a traffic signal j/k

PS: i liked your old avatar.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:06   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not a rant.

More love, less rage! After all the road rage news - this is change!

Well, atleast they proved the fire spitter's signature wrong! :P *Hides for cover*

Last edited by anekho : 12th January 2011 at 16:21.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:17   #2006
Team-BHP Support

I remember an incident in Pune 3 years ago. I was standing at a signal on the Bund Garden road (the one just before Wadia college, while coming from Bund Garden). A bike rider climbed on the footpath to get ahead.

A mid-aged woman literally shouted at him to get on the road. I was proud that there was some shame in that guy to heed.

But frankly, I am getting sceptical at how things will turn now.

I have seen numerous Vajra drivers argue with very bad looks on their faces (I don't get their conversation since it's in Kannada) with other vehicle drivers who ask them not to be rash.

To stop and ask someone to obey traffic manners now depends on "who all" you know and how muscular you are.

I have personally been chased while on a bike by a scorpio just beause I gave him a look when he parked his car in the middle of the road to wait for someone. I'd be in a different shape that day had I owned up giving him the look.

And with incidents of road rage (the latest being the pilot driver running over a restaurant manager) from across the country, one just wants to mind his own business on the road.

I am not particularly proud of this attitude but the price of standing up to what is right is becoming too high.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:18   #2007
BHPian

Maybe the guy was dropping his wife/GF to office after his night shift..

Quote:
This is not a rant.

Old 12th January 2011, 16:45   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Maybe the guy was dropping his wife/GF to office after his night shift.
that's the best you could come up with?

maybe he thought the sun film protected him both from the sun and prying eyes. he forgot that the windshield didn't have any!
Old 12th January 2011, 17:45   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Rocky - Thats some relief from reading typical/boring rants on this thread May be that guy/couple is homeless!
Old 13th January 2011, 00:07   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
May be that guy/couple is homeless!
Or may be Figo's seats are too good and feel like sofa.

Most Viewed