Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 11:48   #2101
BANNED

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
The probability of people driving the wrong way killing me is much more than the probability that someone at 150km/h in the correct direction will.
What are you smoking? Probability on Indian roads?? You must be kidding me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
BTW, in the pic that i had posted, i was doing 150 kmph and pic was taken by my wife.
That's too fast for a Swift and more importantly for Indian roads. You might save an hour max by hitting those speeds. I travel on the road almost once in a quarter and believe me that road is dangerous for anything above 90 kmph. In any car.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:05   #2102
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I am a great fan of your posts, and like the fact that like me, you too like paying back the law-breakers (I'm not talking about speeding) like I try to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What are you smoking? Probability on Indian roads?? You must be kidding me..
So, Could you please elaborate?

OT: Of the dozens of accidents I've seen on NH 44, none (ok, maybe 1 or 2) were caused due to speeding.

EDIT: Shouldn't we be taking on these guys: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...peeds-132.html

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 15th February 2011 at 12:11.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:51   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
That's too fast for a Swift and more importantly for Indian roads. You might save an hour max by hitting those speeds. I travel on the road almost once in a quarter and believe me that road is dangerous for anything above 90 kmph. In any car.
I think he was just yapping about 150KMPH because it is highly possible to click a picture at that speed unless you have a real good DSLR, so I guess everyone should stop jacking him.

Even if he did that speed, you can't really say he did something wrong, since he is back here replying to the thread without killing anyone. Doesn't mean you kill someone and learn a lesson, but hey, come on, all enthusiast like to drive that fast. If you haven't done that, you are too scared to do it in my words(or many would like to say "matured" enough not to do so).
Old 15th February 2011, 13:56   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Shouldn't we be taking on these guys: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...peeds-132.html
Ah, there it is. Was searching for that poll, but couldn't manage to find it. For a place where mentioning about speeding on public roads is considered bad, that poll is out of place.

---

Something I saw this morning. A cop on his bike is waiting in front of Staples - the place where the Hosur road forks into Hosur road and Marigowda road, facing the wrong side. Signal for traffic from Forum side is red, and this guy when he finds a gap, cuts across the divider onto the proper side for his direction. Now he takes out his mobile and is seen talking for a while. Now he limps ahead and cuts the divider again to join the file of traffic from Hosur road towards Shoppers stop side. What an audacity!

Last edited by silversteed : 15th February 2011 at 14:07.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:57   #2105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Doesn't mean you kill someone and learn a lesson, but hey, come on, all enthusiast like to drive that fast. If you haven't done that, you are too scared to do it in my words(or many would like to say "matured" enough not to do so).
Once you kill someone, its just a little late to be going back and learning a lesson.

And Speeding to prove you are not scared.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Ah, there it is. Was searching for that poll, but couldn't manage to find it. Wanted to quote that.
And that thread has been closed for a very long time.

Last edited by bblost : 15th February 2011 at 13:58.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:32   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Please no baiting here, I have a troll alert on my browser. Its been beeping insanely while I type this reply to your post. Thanks.
Mind giving me link to download such an add-on?

Anyway, back to the topic, this happens all the time,opp. the Lalbagh gate, in Banashankari. The BMTC drivers are the 1st to jump into the bandwagon. And you haven't aswered my question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Something I saw this morning. A cop on his bike is waiting in front of Staples - the place where the Hosur road forks into Hosur road and Marigowda road, facing the wrong side. Signal for traffic from Forum side is red, and this guy when he finds a gap, cuts across the divider onto the proper side for his direction. Now he takes out his mobile and is seen talking for a while. Now he limps ahead and cuts the divider again to join the file of traffic from Hosur road towards Shoppers stop side. What an audacity!
One word is enough to describe such traffic policemen - "Shameless". Bangalore seems to be full of these guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-281020102388.jpg  

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 15th February 2011 at 14:35.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:41   #2107
BANNED

Quote:
So, Could you please elaborate?
Thing is everything is so uncertain on our roads.

Driving on the wrong side and getting killed has the same probability as getting killed while walking on a footpath.

Defensive driving is the only way of going about it. Still its not good enough here..

Last edited by Spitfire : 15th February 2011 at 15:03.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:16   #2108
BHPian

Quote:
Thing is everything is so uncertain on our roads.

Driving on the wrong side and getting killed has the same probability as getting killed while walking on a footpath.
I see. Your signature really holds true I guess.

Anyway, the road beside that parade ground, that has many army institutions and an Army school, I think its called cubbon road, travelling there is such a pain in the late morning, afternoons and evenings. because at the junctions (gaps in the road dividers) that have those blinking orange signals people have to take U-turns from two directions, one side has to turn right, the other left (after cutting through the other side of the road) and then we have normal two way traffic. Because there's no signal, nor any policeman/volunteers guiding traffic, so, its always choc a block!
It took us more than half an hour to get of of the multiple jams at those junctions on the last day of Aero India. To add to that, there will people like the Auto driver who stopped in the middle of the road for his passenger to alight opposite Kanteerava.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:18   #2109
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I know 150 kmph is over the limit, especially here in India. But, I dont think this is more dangerous than people heading wrong side driving atleast 60 kmph. And am sure not even a single soul will stick to the speed limit here.

I think i stayed within limits since i wasnt involved in rash driving/speeding in city limits. This was one deserted HW. If not, no issues. I dont have any problem guys.!

Cheers.!
Naveen
Old 16th February 2011, 11:55   #2110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I think i stayed within limits since i wasnt involved in rash driving/speeding in city limits. This was one deserted HW. If not, no issues. I dont have any problem guys.!
You are the best judge dude. What we say here is our outlook. But having driven on Indian Highways a fair bit, standing on the side of one would prove to be fatal.

With 150 kmph we just tilt it in the favor of the unknown.

Also we do not have strict vigilance or adherence to speed limits here in India. Only due to the fact that there is no one to pull you up.

If there was a cop standing there with a gun you couldn't have crossed the speed limit. But here your concern could have been different.

Its self discipline and miles on the road that makes one realize the importance of sticking to rules.

Hindsight is a...
Old 16th February 2011, 12:09   #2111
Senior - BHPian

i've crossed 140kmph+ on the Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri stretch, but on a straight line with at least 2km visibility. the speed would have lasted about 1-2mins after which i returned to 90kmph. just wanted to check how far i could push my car.

Quote:
Hindsight is a...
hehe.. i know what comes after that
Old 16th February 2011, 12:53   #2112
BHPian

Quote:

Also we do not have strict vigilance or adherence to speed limits here in India. Only due to the fact that there is no one to pull you up.

If there was a cop standing there with a gun you couldn't have crossed the speed limit. But here your concern could have been different.

Its self discipline and miles on the road that makes one realize the importance of sticking to rules.
Yes, this is absolutely correct, but IMO, it doesn't alway necessarily apply all the time in India. I read somewhere on the forum that some member (must have been shankar.balan shishir_bn or someone else) was doing 80-90 km/h on a 4-lane somewhere in Karnataka, but he was asked to pull over by a cop with a speed gun. Why? The cop said the speed limit on that 4 lane highway was 40 km/h!!! Now what can we say about that!?
Anyway, I am in no way justifying overspeeding as I said before.
Old 16th February 2011, 14:11   #2113
Team-BHP Support

Guys, can we move on the rants, please?
Old 16th February 2011, 18:39   #2114
Senior - BHPian

cop blatantly violating traffic rules at Mekhri circle:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_7202.jpg
Old 16th February 2011, 18:55   #2115
Team-BHP Support

Already have a thread dedicated to Bangalore cops.
Pictorial

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks