Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 14:11   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

almost got hit by a Ape this morning. was crossing the T-junction after Siemens (coming from BETL) when the Ape going straight suddenly decided to to turn right (Lemon Tree road). jammed to brakes to avoid the idiot; the bike skidded a few feet and missed the Ape by inces.

with my heart in my throat i headed to my office coz the Ape guy had already fled the scene. didn't bother chasing him and getting my BP high
Old 21st February 2011, 16:00   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

@Suhaas, I understand your frustration buddy, but there are select few like us bhpian's who don't cut in traffic and follow most of the rules. Since I ride and drive, I know the pain of bikes cutting off the 4 wheelers. So i always am with the traffic flow and never hinder traffic be it 2/4 wheeler

Height of inconsiderate behavior towards human life by road users:
This incident happened today at the same junction which Praz was talking about a few post ago. There was a death/injury in one of the buildings in the road adjacent to the temple junction. There was a crowd as usual of bystanders and cops. The road near this junction was crowded. I approached the same right turn and noticed that a lady in a Figo was trying to take a u-turn bang in the middle of this narrow road blocking traffic from both sides. She was stuck as the traffic from both sides were not allowing her to pass as she was in the wrong. To top this the ambulance which had come to attend the death/injury in the side road was stuck in this mess with sirens blaring. The cops were standing helplessly watching the show.
I parked my bike to the side and took the help of some local shop keepers to let the lady get out of the mess by reversing into 4th main and stopping the traffic to allow her to pass as she was the bottleneck. Then we allowed the ambulance to go past by stopping the traffic trying to barge thru. Once the ambulance had passed, we let the other traffic go by.
Result: Just on time to reach office rather than the usual 15-20 min early. But was feeling good inside to have helped the ambulance get out of the traffic. Have the road users become so inconsiderate to not let an ambulance thru as they want to first reverse their vehicle. Lady in the green figo, if you are reading this, what you did was totally inappropriate and hope you never repeat this again. Ambulance or no ambulance!!
Old 21st February 2011, 16:35   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
I have decided to go the other way and avoid this stretch. That would save me some time and mental peace.
Yes best way is to avoid this junction especially during peak hours instead you can go via BEML hospital-Hall and Join Mallesh Palaya isn't it?

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st February 2011 at 16:39.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:02   #2149
Senior - BHPian

NGEF bypass this morning

the auto went into the opposite lane and blocked the path of the bus. even after seeing this, the two wheelers went on the wrong side to get ahead of traffic!!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc01191.jpg
i had enough time to take the camera out of my backpack, put my bike on stand, walk over to the other side, take this picture, come back and then wait for another 10mins before the traffic jam was cleared! pity i wasn't carrying my iPod.

Bangalore traffic ki jai!!
Old 22nd February 2011, 01:59   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
NGEF bypass this morning

the auto went into the opposite lane and blocked the path of the bus. even after seeing this, the two wheelers went on the wrong side to get ahead of traffic!!
Attachment 505782
i had enough time to take the camera out of my backpack, put my bike on stand, walk over to the other side, take this picture, come back and then wait for another 10mins before the traffic jam was cleared! pity i wasn't carrying my iPod.

This happens in almost every junction in bangalore with/without a divider. For example:- HSR Signal on the ORR. People with Prado and outlander also don't mind blocking the incoming traffic.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:30   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NGEF bypass this morning

Attachment 505782

The bus is nearly pushed onto the footpath!!
Amazing.
I would also marvel at the foresight , or the lack of it, of city planners to build undivided bridges. Even small towns dont build those any more.
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:32   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Yes best way is to avoid this junction especially during peak hours instead you can go via BEML hospital-Hall and Join Mallesh Palaya isn't it?
Yes, I guess this is the best way right now. The road is in bad condition, but I don't get stuck anywhere. I hope they improve this road so that more people will be able to use this one instead of the crowded GM Palya road. I think the GM Palya road should be turned into a one way or something like that, given that Bangalore is famous for its one-way roads .
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:03   #2153
BANNED

Today 0900 hours on ORR - Near ISRO.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-22022011087.jpg

This is a highly abused road.The autorickshaws, the cabs, two wheelers, trucks, school buses, cars, everyone makes their way as if its their right.

Please check the headlights on magic trick.

Magic trick - Turn on your headlights in Bangalore and you can drive down the wrong side and all vehicles will make way for you. Any road!!

The above magician tried the trick with his Swift today with me. Problem is the Bolero does not fall for this trick and does not automatically move away. So mr. magician let me take a picture of his while I held him up just enough to get the shot. Please observe the queue behind this car, quite a common sight actually.

Once I passed him he honked and let his displeasure know. The lady next to him had more dignity and said a sorry. This ruffled the magician a bit more. Since I didn't have time to deal with such a moron. I drove off.

@IronHawk: I once took that road. And I almost plastered a Ikon driver on the bridge. He did exactly what the Auto did but at a better location. He was on the other side of the divider which hugs the left turn. IMAGINE!!!

Last edited by Spitfire : 22nd February 2011 at 12:06.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:15   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
NGEF bypass this morning

Attachment 505782

This happens everywhere in Bangalore, The distance from my home to Office is 3 Kms and It hardly takes 5-7 minutes in my car to get to office. But thanks to the unruly two wheelers and mostly autos, it takes me 15 - 20 minutes to get there. I have even confronted these kind of people couple of times but you guys know what would have been the result very well. Now whenever i feel frustrated sitting in the car, I turn up the music a bit and crawl!
Cheers!
-Z
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:30   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Not a rant, but just something interesting that happened.
Today on my way to work, my car's clutch wire came loose in the thick of traffic near Nagwara signal, on ORR. As a result i couldn't put the car in any gear. Obviously, ORR was no place to stop and investigate and i was still some distance from the intersection. So I put the hazard lights on and start pushing the car towards the intersection, after pushing it to extreme left.
So there i was, pushing my car, with traffic zooming by on my right. Suddenly my car starts moving faster than i am pushing it!! I look back and there is an auto guy pushing my car with his left foot! I smiled at him and asked him to not do that, since there is a bit of slope coming up and no one is inside the car!!
Anyway, so managed to pull the car into a service lane with the help of a traffic cop and got the issue sorted out.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:46   #2156
BHPian

Quote:

Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The above magician tried the trick with his Swift today with me. Problem is the Bolero does not fall for this trick and does not automatically move away. So mr. magician let me take a picture of his while I held him up just enough to get the shot. Please observe the queue behind this car, quite a common sight actually.
Had I been in your passenger seat, I'd have got down and given him a piece of my mind using the kind of language I seldom use. Such audacity boils my blood.

Now some rants from my side.
1) I decided to go on a late night drive, and cruised onto IRR from my old airport road residence. Took a U-turn at Saphire toys/tacho bell and proceeded to the flyover. I wanted to go in the MG Road direction so dad took the underpass, thanks to the signboard. But to our consternation, the road was all dug up! We had to take a U-turn, cruise 5km on IRR, take a U-Turn take the flyover to OA road, take a U-turn at Manipal, and finally, after a good 20 minutes, I was on my way to MG road.
2) At the signal on OA road, where the road diverges into 2 roads, one towards trinity and the other towards Lifestyle, there was red for right and green for straight. And two morons in a zen had parked right at the signal with their hazard lamps on!!! Vehicles going straight had a hard time negotiating. I tried getting down, and forcing the zen guy to park somewhere else, but my dad didn't let me. When it turned green for us, I put down my window and shouted "Abbey Dimaag nahi hey kya, kaha park kiya hey"
The guy just stared at me.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-210220113587.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-210220113588.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2011, 15:39   #2157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
This happens in almost every junction in bangalore with/without a divider.
We can also add every single railway crossing to this phenomenon, when the gate is closed, and waiting for the train to pass.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:18   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Suddenly my car starts moving faster than i am pushing it!! I look back and there is an auto guy pushing my car with his left foot!
I cant believe this. Auto guy pushing your car with his foot like they do for another auto? (a rather common site in Bangy, blocking the entire road, another 'disease') How did he even have guts to put his foot on your car? May be he thought he's helping, but he certainly DID NOT.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:07   #2159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
How did he even have guts to put his foot on your car? May be he thought he's helping, but he certainly DID NOT.
C'mon! The fella was trying to help, in the only way he knows! Agree it is not the right way but someone on the road is at least trying to help.

We otherwise complain of indifference on the road.

I'm pleasantly surprised the traffic cop helped. Cops in B'lore are mostly seen collecting fines!
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:16   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
How did he even have guts to put his foot on your car? May be he thought he's helping, but he certainly DID NOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
C'mon! The fella was trying to help, in the only way he knows! Agree it is not the right way but someone on the road is at least trying to help.
Not all rick drivers are bad. In fact, very few of them, IMO, are bad. What makes us frown at them are the facts that they are ignorant of traffic rules and try overcharging. The former can be blamed, to some extent, on the scant traffic education in our country, as well as the testing environs in which they work, and the former is because of the pittance they earn. (I am NOT justifying them, though )

Ask any auto driver in Bangalore, how do I go to "so and so" place, and they will go as far as stop their ricks, or walk all the way upto your car, and tell you in detail, how to get about it. Even when you are winding up your winding up your window or are driving away, they try to yell out directions to you.

Inspite of all this, I am pained by by the fact that rick drivers can get violent, but we must laud the rick driver who tried to help amitoj without him even asking for help. Such drivers can set an example for others.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 22nd February 2011 at 17:21.

Most Viewed