Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 21:23   #2221
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

and finally something all of you have seen on your daily commute
It's looks like it's just another day, doesn't it? The way those two-wheelers just coast by, while the rest of the traffic waits patiently makes you'll think if you'll are the idiots for following the rules of the road.

If you'll notice closely towards the end of the video, there is a two-wheeler with a rider and a pillion and BOTH are wearing helmets! That's quite a rare sight on Bangalore roads. Did they prepare themselves before breaking the rules?

Oh, and by the way, slightly off-topic. Was this shot this morning? I remembering listening to it on the radio today. Gotta love the Gorillaz.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:34   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's quite a rare sight on Bangalore roads.
when my wife and i venture out on the bike wearing helmets we get stares from people like we're some kinda fools. till date i have seen just a handful of people wearing helmets (both rider and pillion) in Bangalore. truth be told, them helmets are what saved us from head injuries when we had the accident 2yrs back on our anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Was this shot this morning? I remembering listening to it on the radio today. Gotta love the Gorillaz.
nah.. this was shot on Feb 24th, 10:02hrs. 91.9 keep repeating the songs!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 17th March 2011 at 21:36.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:48   #2223
BHPian

Hi
I had visited bangalore last month after a span of 3 years and man has the city exploded. The development is much farther and on a larger scale than i have expected it to be. Having experienced the roads of bangalore for 5 days in my car i think the roads of bangalore is much better than the roads of hyderabad or chennai. Really i did not face any issue with any other vehicle or the auto guys in the 5 days i was driving in bangalore. I had a guy from the hotel where i was staying act as a guide and step in as a driver if required, maybe it helped. Yes finding a parking place is hard but i sure as hell would prefer to drive in bangalore rather than hyderabad or in chennai. One black mark is the traffic constable who caught me as i made a wrong turn into a road with no traffic. But he made me stop and started talking to my in tamil (surprised) pointing out that its a no entry from the point where i had taken the turn. I said sorry and tried to brush it off but he made me park in one corner and started telling me how i would have to pay 1000 rupees in fine if i had to talk to his senior.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2011 at 19:34. Reason: We don't permit posts on bribery, and any other illegal activities. Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 11:27   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
when my wife and i venture out on the bike wearing helmets we get stares from people like we're some kinda fools. till date i have seen just a handful of people wearing helmets (both rider and pillion) in Bangalore.
I had to keep telling my wife to ignore the stares when wearing a helmet before she got used to it. Most of the people I have talked to believe that a helmet is not necessary for the pillion rider. I don't get the logic behind this.

Another funny thing is that we went to Forum Mall on our bike one fine day and some guy noticed that we had 2 helmets and nicked off my wife's helmet ( probably coz it was newer and better looking ) . Luckily, we mostly use the car these days when we are travelling together, so I haven't bought another helmet yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
I had visited bangalore last month after a span of 3 years and man has the city exploded. The development is much farther and on a larger scale than i have expected it to be. Having experienced the roads of bangalore for 5 days in my car i think the roads of bangalore is much better than the roads of hyderabad or chennai.
Really i did not face any issue with any other vehicle or the auto guys in the 5 days i was driving in bangalore. Yes finding a parking place is hard but i sure as hell would prefer to drive in bangalore rather than hyderabad or in chennai.
I agree. Having spent some time in Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bangalore and now Gurgaon, I think Bangalore traffic is, on the whole, a bit more disciplined than the other cities I have been to. That is not saying too much, but I would prefer to drive in Bangalore than anywhere else in India. I guess this counts as an appreciation of Bangalore traffic then .

Last edited by Newpunter : 18th March 2011 at 11:30.
Old 18th March 2011, 14:16   #2225
BHPian

The situation on ORR at Bellandur has gone from bad to worse in recent days. What can you expect when 5 lanes of traffic have to merge into one? What makes it worse is that the single lane road in the construction area are in a bad state, atleast if that is repaired, the vehicles will move faster.
Old 18th March 2011, 14:44   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I think Bangalore traffic is, on the whole, a bit more disciplined than the other cities I have been to. That is not saying too much, but I would prefer to drive in Bangalore than anywhere else in India. I guess this counts as an appreciation of Bangalore traffic then .
Exactly, Bangalore drivers break rules but most of them are predictable. I prefer driving in Bangalore than Pune or Chennai. During my last visit to Chennai I was in the left most lane and put indicator to enter my apartment, to my surprise there comes an auto on left, he went over footpath and overtook our car from left and drove straight. We were speechless!
Old 18th March 2011, 15:25   #2227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Having spent some time in Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bangalore and now Gurgaon, I think Bangalore traffic is, on the whole, a bit more disciplined than the other cities I have been to. That is not saying too much, but I would prefer to drive in Bangalore than anywhere else in India. I guess this counts as an appreciation of Bangalore traffic then .
I was in Delhi - Gurgaon yesterday and day before. I did not see anyone jumping a red light. I also did not see anyone driving in the wrong direction. Of course i did witness some aggressive lane changes on the Delhi Gurgaon expressway, but i still think the first two far outweigh the third in terms of discipline.

On the other hand, today on my way to work, my cab driver got honked at continuously by a BMTC bus for stopping at the Bilekahalli traffic light when it was red. The cab driver inched forward just enough for the bus to move to the other lane and jump the light.
Old 18th March 2011, 15:37   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I was in Delhi - Gurgaon yesterday and day before. I did not see anyone jumping a red light. I also did not see anyone driving in the wrong direction. Of course i did witness some aggressive lane changes on the Delhi Gurgaon expressway, but i still think the first two far outweigh the third in terms of discipline.
Red Light jumping is very common in Gurgaon too (although at most of the junctions, the traffic lights don't work ). I have seen so many auto drivers not care about the red lights and just keep driving.
Last week, I was in one auto and the guy was smoking a cigarette, driving recklessly, not stopping at red lights, was tailgating vehicles at high speeds, honking relentlessly at everything on the road and stopping bang in the middle of the road to pick up passengers. But funnily, when one 2 wheeler guy tried to squeeze between a car and his auto, he started shouting at him and asking him to check how he was driving . I told him he was driving worse than the 2 wheeler guy.
Also, the other day, I saw a banged up Santro in the middle of the road. The guy was driving on the opposite side of the road and was hit by another car coming at a high speed. But yeah, in Gurgaon, you will find lesser people (mostly the auto guys ) driving on the wrong side than in Bangalore ( mostly because almost all the roads in Gurgaon have dividers and footpaths while in Bangalore, they are mostly absent ).
Old 18th March 2011, 15:43   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Red Light jumping is very common in Gurgaon too (although at most of the junctions, the traffic lights don't work ). I have seen so many auto drivers not care about the red lights and just keep driving.
I think you have a point there. My experience of Gurgaon was limited to the expressway and some mall just off the expressway. I shouldn't be surprised by what you have mentioned. The traffic police in Gurgaon is not the same as Delhi traffic police.
Whereas in Bangalore, there is no such thing as traffic police. They are more like traffic facilitators.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:35   #2230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

On the other hand, today on my way to work, my cab driver got honked at continuously by a BMTC bus for stopping at the Bilekahalli traffic light when it was red. The cab driver inched forward just enough for the bus to move to the other lane and jump the light.
From someone who has driven extensively in both Gurgaon and B'lore, trust me B'lore is heaven when compared to Gurgaon. Here's why -\

1) Although there are footpaths and dividers, you'll find cars on them. Beauties like ANHC, Corolla, Camry, Accord are all driven on the footpath by drivers and even owners at times.

2) There are traffic cops but they have no business in regulating traffic.

3) There is no right/wrong side. It is just a matter of convenience. The roads themselves are so bad, sometimes you have no choice.

4) You even stare at someone with the look "you did something wrong", be sure to be at the receiving end of terrible road rage.

5) Traffic lights bring colour to life - not discipline.

Although B'lore traffic is getting way too indisciplined, drive in Gurgaon (now I'm talking about core Gurgaon, not the expressway) and you'd want to spend your life driving in B'lore.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:29   #2231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Although B'lore traffic is getting way too indisciplined, drive in Gurgaon (now I'm talking about core Gurgaon, not the expressway) and you'd want to spend your life driving in B'lore.

Well, although I see quite a lot of Road Rage and plenty of stupid drivers on the roads of Bangalore, off-late, I've noticed that more are more people are following rules. To my surprise, I see many cabbies following the rules of the road. I see almost every 2nd person's seat-belt fastened and 8/10 people following some form of lane-discipline.

It's very heartening.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:07   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Well, although I see quite a lot of Road Rage and plenty of stupid drivers on the roads of Bangalore, off-late, I've noticed that more are more people are following rules. To my surprise, I see many cabbies following the rules of the road. I see almost every 2nd person's seat-belt fastened and 8/10 people following some form of lane-discipline.

It's very heartening.
I there is a huge difference from 2007 to now. Even though you will find a whole lot of stupid people squeezing their way through causing inconvenience to everyone including themselves, there is some kind of improvement.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:50   #2233
BHPian

The Naugthy Bolero guy trick # 3

So I was waiting behind a line of cars in a narrow road leading to Bannerghatta road and as usual few jokers squeeze their way past me even though there's oncoming traffic from the other side. I let 1... 2... of these to get into the line in front of me but then suddenly it begins to look like the Mallu Chettan in the white bolero is a greenhorn in no hurry to go anywhere -- EGO ALARM ON !! I spot the 3rd joker in his hot hatch two cars behind me, getting ready to squeeze past me even though there's a goods lorry coming from the opposite side.

I turn the bolero out of my lane and angle it such that there's no space for any overtaking from behind. The hatch guy blares his horn and blinks his lights (and he's two cars behind, imagine that), I motion with my hand 'no way, get back into the line'. The lorry driver coming from the opposite side is amused and charges head on into the hatch guy and the latter quietly retreats. Aah... I'm going to miss the Bolero for these naughty little things I could do with it.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:41   #2234
BANNED

Saturday Evening - 2000 hours. Sarajapur Road, around the Bellandur flyover construction area.

Was driving home towards Marathahalli with family and was on that narrow section of road where only one car can pass through with barricades on the left. Gingerly making my way keeping up with the traffic speed. I see a light on my left hand side trying to overtake. I accelerate a bit open a gap and move left so that the bike can overtake from the right. But Mr Moron wants to only go through the left side. I slow down more. Now there is hardly any place for him to go down the left but enough space on the right for 2 bikes to pass abreast. A few bikes pass me from the right but not Mr Moron.

I now stop and wave shout out to overtake from the right. He just stands there with his tire along my rear left bumper.

So i quickly speed up as the traffic was getting held up. All the while I am driving closer to the left to avoid him overtaking me from there. As soon as we get to the wider end I move into the middle most lane of the three-laned road. And wave him on to overtake.

He comes next my window and stares. I reply.

Me: Next time overtake from the right don't overtake from the left.
Mr Moron: So that is why you stopped (Educated good english).
Me: Yes. Dont overtake from the left, you can create an accident.
Mr Moron: So you are Mr Perfect?
Me: Compared to you. Yes, I am.
Mr Moron: (Pissed) Take that (shows me the middle finger).
Me: Exactly what I knew you are worth. That's what you are. A pathetic person.
Mr Moron: As if he has spit on his own face. Does not know what to say and continues riding.

Imagine a low life like this who has no proper upbringing by his parents that he can make vulgar gestures when there are ladies and children around.

Mr H 9385 - Bullet Std 350. If you are reading this you are a waste of humanity.

Last edited by Spitfire : 28th March 2011 at 10:43.
Old 28th March 2011, 12:11   #2235
Senior - BHPian

^^ looks like you had an eventful evening don't you just feel like running over these vermins and squish them under your wheels!

just wishful thinking

Last edited by IronH4WK : 28th March 2011 at 12:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks