Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 14:53   #2296
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Yes they were doing a wheelie in a residential neighborhood. However hard the biker guy tried he could not brake. After that those dudes tried abusing my friend for not stopping in time. He however managed to get away from there. His car had to be towed as the front tire burst and the entire front right panel needs a change. Estimates for repair cross 50k.
My friend had to pay 5k to get away from those guys. The bikers used force to extract money from him. They used the North-South divide and took away money.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:20   #2297
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic

When the Bellary road between Mekhri circle and Hebbal Flyover was upgraded, Service roads were built on either sides. 2 Bus bays were built between Sanjaynagar junction and the Hebbal Flyover. These were never completed and the Busses stop in the middle of the road (service road infront of Agricultural university).The Service road is completely blocked by the busses and the passangers waiting to board the busses. The vehicles on the service road has to wait behind the busses till they move off or the passangers are clear on the left side of the busses or the main highway is clear of vehicles. Also some drivers try to enter the highway at this point at 90* to the road. see the attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hebbal-bus-bay.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bangalore-traffic.jpg  

Old 4th May 2011, 13:56   #2298
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
IMHO, Bangy traffic is far more disciplined than chennai....

Here everyone in chennai drives on the wrong side of the road, cyclists are all over the goddamn place.... mopeds racing with pulsars ..... and 2 wheelers and cycle rickshaws on the extreme right side almost scraping the center median and urging other motorists to over take from the left... not to mention stupid pedestrians walking on the center of the road... not ON the median to say in the least.... and suddenly decide to cross the road....

roadrage can spark faster than the reaction time of any F1 driver....

I manage to drive faster in blore and am able to retain my cool better....

I agree that in Blore, traffic density is an issue and roads are narrower than chennai roads... but ppl are more disciplined...

Good thing about chennai roads is that the roads have no potholes... at least the roads that I have driven upon in here... and yeah they are really wide... but 2 wheelers and cyclists are a pain in the @$$ !!! no one stops at a stop light... and i have regularly witnessed ppl missing accidents by centimeters... what a miracle in todays traffic conditions coupled with high speeds....

Hi Fellow team members,
I totally agree with your view-points about the driving conditions in all major cities in India. I would categorize the traffic conditions into two. 1) Foolish/Stupid driving, and the other as 2) Arrogant/Care a damn/Me first attitude.
Though both are dangerous, the second style is more dangerous. And frequently, i have noticed that most of the drivers have total disregard for new, women drivers who always drive in a sedate manner. Yes, it could be irritating when we come across such people, especially when we are late for office or an appointment and are in a terrible hurry to reach the destination faster. But, remember, getting slowed down for a minute or so by such newbies doesn't actually matter. It's just our nerves. My request to all the team members is, to show due respect to new drivers. I am not implying that we should put up with reckless driving. NO. We, definitely should voice our opinions. After all, we never, should allow arrogant people to take us for granted.

Well, my friend, if you are annoyed and angry at Chennai traffic, you should definitely experience Delhi, Gurgaon and Noida traffic. You will surely feel like hugging and kissing Chennai drivers!

Whenever you feel like slamming your car into that of an idiot or an arrogant fool's vehicle, please, please, pause for a second, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that this is not the end. Stay calm.

I guess, i am mellowing down. May be this is the result of my sitting in the passenger side when my wife drives our new i10 A/T in Delhi traffic!!! She is used to driving only in Bay area, USA!!! Can you imagine my tension when she drives into merging traffic and into narrow lanes! Well, deep meditation is the only answer.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:10   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post

Beware of junctions in road Bangalore.

As I was out of station during the said period I logged in to traffic Dept website and checked the "Picture of Violation". And there it was my car waiting on the zebra crossing for the signal to change, in the 1st Picture and also there were about 6 Bikers on the Zebra crossing.. The 2nd picture is a Zoom-in of the number plate.
Hi - My friend and my brother, both have one fines pending against their car numbers for "Jumping traffic Signal" in Feb 2011. However, i am unable to see any further information as to where I can check the pic or any proof traffic police have uploaded.
Can you please tell me how you checked the pictures and which site? I have looked into BTIS.i and Bangalore One. Unable to see any pics.
Can you help please? Or is it that no pics were taken and it is just some police guy noting the number?
Old 4th May 2011, 22:11   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
Hi - My friend and my brother, both have one fines pending against their car numbers .........
The Web site to check the Traffic Violation Fine detail is:- "http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/"

Near the bottom left you can see the section- Pay your fine-
You have to enter your vehicle Registration Number ( old type or new) and or the Fine notice Number in the fields provided. After getting the fine details, you can click and see the violation pictures.
PS:-
This is applicable only if the violation notice is issued by the Traffic Control Centre which is monitoring the junctions.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-clip_image002.jpg  

sudharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 12:07   #2301
BHPian

Hi All,
I want to share an annoying habit of these Delhi drivers, educated/uneducated, rich/poor, male/female. It's that all of them, at least most of them drive with both the side-view mirrors folded. They have no idea about who or what is on their left and right side. They literally drive me crazy. Yes, parking is a very big issue in Delhi and NCR. So, in order to avoid damage and or breakage to the side-view mirrors, it's alright to fold them up when the car is parked. But nobody bothers to set them straight when they are back on the roads! Well, mera bharath mahaan.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:44   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi All,
I want to share an annoying habit of these Delhi drivers, educated/uneducated, rich/poor, male/female. It's that all of them, at least most of them drive with both the side-view mirrors folded. They have no idea about who or what is on their left and right side.
@capitalson : We delhi drivers are forward thinkers. We only see and think about what is in front of us, not bothered about what is behind us or on the sides .

Just kidding. And before you all jump on me, i drive with both ORVMs open and adjusted properly for min blindspots (even my bike's both RVMs are used for its designed purpose)
Old 6th May 2011, 18:59   #2303
Senior - BHPian

not all DL vehicles are driven rashly. just a few bad apples out there ruining it for the rest of the crowd.
Old 6th May 2011, 19:31   #2304
BHPian

Hey Fellow Delhi Team BHPians, I am sorry if i had offended you guys. True that a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. It's just that i come across quiet a lot of such drivers everyday. Anyways, i don't claim that i am the best driver. But it definitely is sensible to avoid doing such mistakes and to spread awareness. And i am glad that D-nav mentioned about "Blind spot". Till 2004 (spell that as 15 years of driving experience in India), i never knew about BLINDSPOTS. Nobody taught me about that either. I came to know about it only when i was preparing for my driving test in USA. I was surprised to know about it and equally scared that i had been driving all along without being aware of that.

Well, cheers, guys. Thanks for your postings. Tell me if we can do something to spread awareness about safe driving.
Old 6th May 2011, 19:37   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi All,
I want to share an annoying habit of these Delhi drivers, educated/uneducated, rich/poor, male/female. It's that all of them, at least most of them drive with both the side-view mirrors folded. They have no idea about who or what is on their left and right side. They literally drive me crazy. Yes, parking is a very big issue in Delhi and NCR. So, in order to avoid damage and or breakage to the side-view mirrors, it's alright to fold them up when the car is parked. But nobody bothers to set them straight when they are back on the roads! Well, mera bharath mahaan.
Dude I can tell you a million wrong habits of people from bangalore and label them all annoying. Do not generalize this. Come to Delhi and then see for yourself. Do you have any research data to back up your claims?

I drive with both my side view mirrors open all the time. And drove the same way in bangalore for almost 6 years i stayed there. And who knows if some local was driving that car you saw with delhi registration!

A bad driver is a bad driver. And there are plenty of them in every part of the country.

Last edited by drmohitg : 6th May 2011 at 19:45.
Old 6th May 2011, 20:54   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Dude I can tell you a million wrong habits of people from bangalore and label them all annoying. Do not generalize this. Come to Delhi and then see for yourself. Do you have any research data to back up your claims?

I drive with both my side view mirrors open all the time. And drove the same way in bangalore for almost 6 years i stayed there. And who knows if some local was driving that car you saw with delhi registration!

A bad driver is a bad driver. And there are plenty of them in every part of the country.
i once happened to stop a young couple on a bike (again DL registered) going the wrong way on a 24hr one way and asked them why they were doing so. the instant reply from the rider was to kya hua, kaun pakadega hamey. this was followed up by who the hell are you to ask this by the pillion rider (the female). believe me you, this isn't an isolated incident.

hence, Capitolson's comment is not entirely false. there might be good drivers like yourself, but most of them just drive like they own the road without caring a hoot about other road users. this is not based on any statistics; its based on my personal experience!

however, this does not absolve the Bangaloreans who drive like nuts on the roads; many of whom i've personally documented on this thread and the Bad Drivers and how do you spot them thread.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:15   #2307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

hence, Capitolson's comment is not entirely false. there might be good drivers like yourself, but most of them just drive like they own the road without caring a hoot about other road users. this is not based on any statistics; its based on my personal experience!

however, this does not absolve the Bangaloreans who drive like nuts on the roads; many of whom i've personally documented on this thread and the Bad Drivers and how do you spot them thread.
Thats what I am saying too. Please read my above post. There are 2 types of drivers(borrowed from a bollywood movie ):
1. Bad drivers
2. Good drivers

Thats all. There are no Delhi drivers and Bangalore drivers. So what Capitolson said above is just not done and is discriminating. Don't typecast Delhi drivers. Its just not fair. You find moronic drivers in every city.

I hope you get my point. Last but not the least please don't make this into a 'Delhi vs Bangalore' debate.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:55   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Can someone just tell me why cyclists in Bangalore cycle on the right hand fast side of the Road? Its dangerous but they seem to be oblivious.
Old 7th May 2011, 09:37   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Can someone just tell me why cyclists in Bangalore cycle on the right hand fast side of the Road? Its dangerous but they seem to be oblivious.
Right-hand side is less dangerous in Indian conditions. In left-hand side, one needs negotiate through parked vehicles, mobile street vendors, Indians, and most importantly traffic from opposite direction. Right-hand side is relatively free from all these hazards.
When in car, think of all the reasons why you tend to avoid left-hand side. A cyclist's reasons are no different.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:22   #2310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
You saw them sticking to one side??? I often just see them going from one side of the road to another as if it gives them added energy!

Anyway, look at this 2 wheeler rider. This is in front of the Big Bazaar on Hosur road. Divider? What divider? Why divider?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo-3.jpg

Mission accomplished! 5 rupees of petrol saved!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo-4.jpg

Most Viewed