Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 21:14   #2476
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
but not having tail lamps and then behaving in such a shameless manner with an elderly person is totally pathetic.
I totally agree with you on this. It is wrong and very very despicable of them.

Quote:
Just goes to show how educated these guys are.
You have just justified their behavior there. PERIOD

Quote:
Had this happened if I had no dearth of time, even better with my driver driving, the guy might have ended up in an really, really sorry state.
Now, that kind of reaction equates you with them. I totally get why you feel the way you feel and I am 100% with you, but restraint on our part keeps us alive,healthy and safe; sadly only to encounter another bunch of these same morons (if not the same fellow) another day. You will find that you have no time for anything else if you go down that path, because the roads are full of them.

Quote:
Infant's? The drivers and management of these blue minivans ought to be set right.

Our temper gets the best of us.
Trust me, I feel the same way, but after all, we too are just normal law-abiding citizens. I know that it makes no sense in saying this, but there are people with the power to set these guys right. We cannot take it into our own hands. As I said, you will meet him or another nut tomorrow.
Quote:
I just can't bear this kind of behaviour, esp. after seeing these people on the road everyday.PM me the reg. no. of the cab, I'll see what I can do. It's not the matter of money here, nor ego, but the matter of making people know that they can't take the road for granted.
You may be wanting to set things right. Appreciate the feeling because it is mutual, and let me say that there maybe a whole lot of other members here on this forum who feel the same way you do. But as libran mentioned in his earlier post, "The public is not spineless actually; it's just helpless. Trust me, many want to help but the consequences that follow because of an indifferent system is what puts them off", you simply cannot fight the system nor the likes of the auto or cab drivers. The only way you can make a difference is join the system and beat it at its own game from within. (read Civil Service)

What I want you to take back from this is that you should show restraint and be rational (easier said than done) when faced with such situations. Avoid getting into a fight/quarrel with these low lives. It is just not worth it because even if you do beat them at a fight today, they go back to their same old nasty ways tomorrow, if not a minute sooner. The only way is to just close your eyes and move on.

Last edited by Xryder : 1st August 2011 at 21:26.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:24   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't "agree" as such either; but give me a win-win or win-nowin situation in our favour.

Those who indulge in this have nothing to lose; most often they drive leased cabs/autos, it is us who will have to bear the brunt thru' either damage to our rides or facing street-level language/behaviour.

I am in no way saying you meekly accept such things; just saying you gotta chose your battles wisely. Sometimes you need to show who's the daddy, at times, you just need to walk away realizing it is isn't worth it.
i just hope it doesn't reach a stage where people take law into their own hands - vigilanty justice!
Old 2nd August 2011, 08:21   #2478
BHPian

@IronH4WK: I'll definitely try the BTP Facebook page, and see if I get any responses. Thank you for the tip.

I do believe that we should never let anger get the better of us, and is always better to have someone with you, to console you and put you back to your senses. But if this happens on a daily basis, how can one have the patience to put up with these mad cab drivers? They don't seem to care for limb or life, not even their own

One of my colleagues was involved in an accident, involving the company cab. He had misjudged a gap, and had ploughed straight into a parked van!!!
All the cab agency did was say they were going to fire him, but my hunch is that he was just transferred to a different route.

Until the authorities come up with a suitable way to deal with this menace, we'll just be . Once again, thank you all for your valuable advice, I'll definitely remember them, every time I drive, which is basically, always smile.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd August 2011 at 09:06. Reason: Extra smiley removed. Please limit to 2 smileys per post.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:14   #2479
BANNED

Was witness to this yesterday morning. Off ORR, on the lane leading to Alphine ECO. My son missed his school bus so was taking this shortcut.

As you can see we are all in a single line. And then a Santro guy thinks he is the smartest of the lot and does this. Then the morons follow.

Check the Figo guy, looked like an educated, well to do background person. But this act shows what a poor upbringing this person has had. Pity him.

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th August 2011 at 12:16.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:54   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Folks how is the flyover work on ORR between marathalli and KRPuram going on? also the one between KR Puram and Hebbal?

thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th August 2011 at 22:11. Reason: Corrected sms language, please avoid usings sms language, thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 13:16   #2481
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
also the once between KR Puram and Hebbal?
Its a big big mess. Digging, widening, traffic, chaos. And I don't think its going to improve anytime soon.

Why do you ask? Coming here?
Old 9th August 2011, 21:02   #2482
BHPian

Massive Traffic Jam this evening inside Manyata tech park. The Educated Elite was displayed in all its glory today.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:57   #2483
BHPian

Thursday, August 11th, around 5.30 PM. I just drive out of office in ORR to witness the usual pile up on the service road. I am driving towards HSR. This happened right in front of Ecospace. I am in the left lane and standing still as the traffic is not moving, when I hear the heart crunching thud and my car shakes. I see the ORVM and my paranoia has come true. A Sumo cab has rear ended me. I switch on the hazard lights, keep my cell phone in the pocket, switch off the car, take the keys and get out of the car. The Sumo guy is looking at me and asking me to move as if nothing happened! He is blocking traffic from both sides and is being shouted at from a lot of people.

I go to him and say in kannada "Yes Sir, How to we go about this? Are you ready to talk?"
Cabbie: "No, go file a case."
Me: "If that's the case, give me your license, your owner's number and your number."
Cabbie: "I can't. Do whatever you can/want." He starts to move. (By this time because of the incessant honking, I moved my car to the left and parked)

I stand in front of the vehicle blocking his way. He starts bad mouthing me and I return it and ask him to get down. Then I move over to passenger side and speak to some of the folks in the cab in English.

Me: "Guys I am also an IT professional and an educated guy. I am not here to create unwanted nuisance. You guys have witnessed this guy has done a mistake and is being unfair now. I need your support on this. I understand you are advised not to get involved in this stuff, but tomorrow it might happen to you or your family." They keep mum and look at me like I'm from mars. I continue "I can't believe you educated guys are keeping mum on this." Then one guy speaks, he says "Dude he's asking you to file a case right? Do that." I say "Ask him to handover his documents or to sort this out."

By this time, the driver is a little shaken. He understands I am a localite too and he cannot bulldoze me. He starts shouting and bad mouthing again. Then he mellows down, parks to the left and gives me his mobile number and starts giving dhamkis to me. He says "I am from so and so area, I have so and so back up." I ask him to shut up and say "I don't want to get in to all that. I know you have done it by mistake and I don't want to harm you for no reason. All I am asking for is compensation. You have done a mistake. As simple as that." He says "Whatever it is, you can't talk to employees." Me says, "That's the only reason you got down." He then says "Don't report this to my owner, I'll pay up, but I don't have money. I have given you my phone number, call me on that." Me: "What's the guarantee that you're going to answer my call?". He tries to give me his 500 bucks worth cell phone. I move back saying "I don't need all this. I am going to call you. If you don't respond, I'll file a case and hunt down your owner." He says "I will answer and pay." Then we disperse.

Need your comments on this.

My thoughts:
1. I should have pressed him to give an important document. License/vehicle related.
2. My father saya "There's no chance that he'll respond. It's over, forget it, get it fixed and move on. You won't have time to run around to the police station and they won't give a damn about this." Me: "Hmm!"

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I drive home with a small dent and a few scratches on my verna.

PS: Throughout, I am secretly hoping a friend or a TBhpian notices this and stops. Alas, it didn't happen.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 12th August 2011 at 10:59. Reason: Content addition
Old 12th August 2011, 11:03   #2484
BHPian

You shouldn't have let him go without getting his license or vehicle details. I just hope you know which company the cab belonged to. That way you can atleast trace him down again. It is sad to read about the apathy of the people inside the cab. Seems like everyone thinks such things only happen to others :( .
Old 12th August 2011, 11:17   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
1. I should have pressed him to give an important document. License/vehicle related.
You got the edge over the reckless dirver. Most probably he would not provided you the license or any documents but could have forced him to call the owner and get some compensation.

Quote:
2. My father saya "There's no chance that he'll respond. It's over, forget it, get it fixed and move on. You won't have time to run around to the police station and they won't give a damn about this." Me: "Hmm!"
I agree with it as the damage is less, better to move on. If the service centre says its costing huge get it done from your car's insurance.

Last edited by musafir_blr : 12th August 2011 at 11:21. Reason: correction of typo
Old 12th August 2011, 11:48   #2486

Quote:
Need your comments on this.

My thoughts:
The first few minutes after an incident like this are crucial and the brain tends to go blank. What I suggest is to have a checklist or a todo list ready in your glove box of what needs to be done in case such a thing repeats. Then follow the procedure and make sure you haven't left any stone unturned which might then come back and haunt you in your sleep.
Old 12th August 2011, 11:53   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Thank you luck that you were a localite and know kannada. You should have atleast noted down his license number and the company details, though i wonder what sort of money you will get from him now.

Big reason why employees dont interfere in any such thing is company policy. I remember seeing a couple of emails sent by HR in my company which clearly state that in no case employees should get involved in any incident. If they do, it might lead to disciplinary action against them even if it is the cab driver's fault.
Old 12th August 2011, 11:59   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Thursday, August 11th, around 5.30 PM. I just drive out of office in ORR to witness the usual pile up on the service road. I am driving towards HSR. This happened right in front of Ecospace. I am in the left lane and standing still as the traffic is not moving, when I hear the heart crunching thud and my car shakes. I see the ORVM and my paranoia has come true. A Sumo cab has rear ended me.
Did the Sumo have those moronic bull bars too? If that is the case, then the dent might cost more than what it looks like.

I dont think it would have mattered much to the driver if you had taken his license. But you did the right thing by atleast getting him to the point where he admitted his mistake.

Still, if you want, you can file a case, contact the owner, and ask the owner to reimburse you. All the people involved will urge you to forget it and move on, saying that the owner will take the money from the poor driver. I say, dont bother about them and get as much money as you can.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:05   #2489
Senior - BHPian

Apply for damages with insurance company and give detail of the vehicle which hit you. They will help you filing the compliant. Also they will try to get compensation since they would have to pay if not.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:02   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
You shouldn't have let him go without getting his license or vehicle details. I just hope you know which company the cab belonged to. That way you can atleast trace him down again. It is sad to read about the apathy of the people inside the cab. Seems like everyone thinks such things only happen to others :( .
Well there were no stickers on the cab, so I don't know. But I do have the number noted down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
The first few minutes after an incident like this are crucial and the brain tends to go blank. What I suggest is to have a checklist or a todo list ready in your glove box of what needs to be done in case such a thing repeats. Then follow the procedure and make sure you haven't left any stone unturned which might then come back and haunt you in your sleep.
Well I'm not sure if a check list can be effective as every situation is different. But no doubt, reading about others' experiences on this forum will surely help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Thank you luck that you were a localite and know kannada. You should have atleast noted down his license number and the company details, though i wonder what sort of money you will get from him now.

Big reason why employees dont interfere in any such thing is company policy. I remember seeing a couple of emails sent by HR in my company which clearly state that in no case employees should get involved in any incident. If they do, it might lead to disciplinary action against them even if it is the cab driver's fault.
Yes, I am aware of this as it is the same in my company. I also mentioned this during my speech to the occupants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Did the Sumo have those moronic bull bars too? If that is the case, then the dent might cost more than what it looks like.

I dont think it would have mattered much to the driver if you had taken his license. But you did the right thing by atleast getting him to the point where he admitted his mistake.

Still, if you want, you can file a case, contact the owner, and ask the owner to reimburse you. All the people involved will urge you to forget it and move on, saying that the owner will take the money from the poor driver. I say, dont bother about them and get as much money as you can.
Thankfully no, there were no bull bars. It was his front bumper that hit my car. Hopefully damages on the pocket will be less. Yes I will give a call to the driver to see what he says. If he escapes from this, his attitude will never change. Though I'm not sure what effect it will have on him, I just want to be optimistic.

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2011 at 19:28. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks