Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 09:15   #2506
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Entire ORR is such a mess nowadays. On Tuesday, it took me 1.5 hours from Sarjapur junction to KRPuram. Making things worse, we cannot switch-off the engine and wait - we have to keep moving inch by inch all the way. My engine temp crossed half-way mark which rarely happens.

Wonder when they are going to complete those fly-overs!!!
Old 18th August 2011, 09:21   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

ORR between Kadubisnahalli and Sarjapur Road is now a lunar surface...I pity all those commuting on it daily!

Saw a Swift half drowned in mud and with with one wheel in the air outside Cessna Business park!

Why did they have to all this in peak of monsoon couldn't they have started the work earlier?

Why did they decide to build all the flyovers in one shot, why not concentrate all energy on one flyover at a time and build it faster rather than screwing up the entire stretch of the road?

Now that they have started working on it, why are they moving so slowly?

Answers not needed, just ranting!!! Its a rant thread after all.

Been taking the Volvo to work coz commuting by bike is becoming a big pain with shoes getting a light shade of brown every time I ride and driving on this road to work will surely send me into anger management sessions!!
Old 18th August 2011, 09:39   #2508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

Been taking the Volvo to work coz commuting by bike is becoming a big pain with shoes getting a light shade of brown every time I ride and driving on this road to work will surely send me into anger management sessions!!
Volvo sounds like a good idea but I didn't have much success with seating. Where do you stay btw? I stay near Jayadeva flyover and most M'Halli Volvos (500s) which come to Jayadeva are already full of techies. So I take the bike rather than go standing for 2 hrs.

I agree with the car part, I've almost given up going by car. Everyone trying to cramp into 1 lane with no regard for other vehicles really tests my patience! Worst ones are the cabs who don't mind a hit or two with other vehicles. Another thing I see nowadays - the U-turns outside intel - why don't people who are taking the U-turn have the common sense to stay on the right lane? Everyone wants to be at the front and end up hogging all the left lanes, blocking straight direction traffic as well

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th August 2011 at 09:41.
Old 18th August 2011, 09:56   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Volvo sounds like a good idea but I didn't have much success with seating. Where do you stay btw? I stay near Jayadeva flyover and most M'Halli Volvos (500s) which come to Jayadeva are already full of techies. So I take the bike rather than go standing for 2 hrs.

I agree with the car part, I've almost given up going by car. Everyone trying to cramp into 1 lane with no regard for other vehicles really tests my patience! Worst ones are the cabs who don't mind a hit or two with other vehicles. Another thing I see nowadays - the U-turns outside intel - why don't people who are taking the U-turn have the common sense to stay on the right lane? Everyone wants to be at the front and end up hogging all the left lanes, blocking straight direction traffic as well
My commute is from HSR to Whitefield, yea had to go standing today! Contemplating leaving about half an hour early for a few weeks so I beat the rush!

I love riding in the rain and I love riding in such "offroad" conditions..But NOT when I have to commute to work! :(
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 10:33   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Traffic is a mess today. Its been raining continuously since last night and still is. I started from Banaswadi an hour back and till now have made it only till the IRR!

Eminem is keeping me company.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:06   #2511
BHPian

Leaving from Bannerghatta Road at 7.30AM also nowadays is making me reach Whitefield only by 9.30. This week has just been so horrible on ORR especially near Bellandur.
As Karthikk pointed out, some people on road have no sense while taking U-turn especially near the Nilgiris (before bellandur jn).
Oh God, when will people learn to drive neatly without giving tensions to others.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:24   #2512
Senior - BHPian

The flyovers being constructed on ORR are moving such a slow pace. There are a few people beating something with a steel rod or something and that is the work they are doing. They are building these ramps which will take months (or year).
But looking at the traffic situation everywhere, I guess we deserve it.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:25   #2513
BHPian

ORR has become horrible because of these flyover constructions. I avoid the main road and take the Yamalur Bellandur road, but to reach it too these days it has become a big pain. I stay on ORR road the other side so I have to take a big U turn to reach the service road which takes 35 to 45 mins. And because of rain its a mess. The other day I had an important meeting so I took ORR, Agara, kormangala, inner ring road, old airport road, marathalli to reach office in 40 mins. But my usual route is ORR, bellandur, yamalur, marathalli which is worser these days.

I have seen early timings too its the same situation. I hate those buses & sumos and indicabs, man no respect for any vehicle on the road, they dont even bother to look and slow down. I guess we are the ones who worry about our cars as we own them and know the pain of dent or a ugly scratch, but not them because somebody else owns it.

New definition of FE in Bangalore traffic: Its not the distance traveled per litre. Its the time spent in the car enjoying your AC and music and of course cursing the traffic
Old 18th August 2011, 12:48   #2514
BHPian

Today I was stuck in Belandur traffic jam at 7:55 AM. How sooner can one come! The road below the flyover near intel is in terrible shape. I think moon surface might be more friendlier.

I wonder if one can make a video of state of affairs caused by "Simplex constructions" and may be PIL can be lodged. I cannt imagine why a construction company cannt keep the road below their constructions in usable fashion.

Frustrated travelling to and fro daily!
Old 18th August 2011, 12:55   #2515
BANNED

Guys I really dont see the concern with the guys traveling along ORR to work and back.

The Volvos do a fantastic job. Get a monthly pass and let rip.

Of all the routes in bangalore the ORR is well covered by the Volvo's. Each one comes within 5 minutes. If not 2-3 together.

My wife travels by them everyday from Marathahalli to Manyata. Once the flyovers are done you guys can get the cars out.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:05   #2516
Senior - BHPian

thank God for inventing the a/c and radio - else we all would have gone nuts in this traffic and eventually ended up in NIMHANS

PS: i know God didn't invent the a/c and the radio - just in case someone was planning a comeback
Old 18th August 2011, 13:26   #2517
BHPian

People, I reached home 10 minutes ago, and Old Airport Road is/was COMPLETELY jammed, right from the Domlur flyover to the WT road signal (where I took a U-turn).
Bumper to bumper traffic inching probably at speeds south of 10 (heck! even 5!) km/h.
Took me ~ 45 minutes compared to the regular >15 minutes it takes me. This was in the direction towards HAL. On coming traffic too is really dense, but not as much.
EDIT: Took me > 1.5 hr to reach DIARY circle in the morning from MANIPAL hospital this morning.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 18th August 2011 at 13:27.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:39   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Was in Bangalore on Tuesday, even though my brother asked me to take his car, I had opted to use the BMTC Volvo to commute from Marathahalli to CBD and vice versa.

Never waited more than 5 minutes to take a Volvo. Meant I did not miss my personal vehicle at all all through the day even though I had meetings at Chamrajpet, KR Market, Majestic, Brigade Rd etc. Used the rick for the meetings at Chamrajpet & KR Market. Was peaceful with no stress. Return back home in the evening saw us take close to 45 minutes to cover the distance between Manipal Jn to HAL Police Station. The jam hardly mattered to me as I was sitting and happily enjoying to some old Kannada songs playing on the radio.

If one stays at a place well connected by the Volvos I think it is the best option to commute rather than going through the stress of driving in the chaotic traffic around ORR.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:31   #2519
Team-BHP Support

I guess everyone is now following the alternate route from south Blore to Marathahalli via Domlur IRR/ old airport road. No wonder the jam today in that area.

Volvos are good, no doubt about that. Excellent coverage and frequency, no questions asked. The monthly pass thing also works out to be economical. Problem is even before rush hour, routes like mine are crowded. Standing and going from Jayanagar to Marathahalli for 2 hours is no joke. With all the pushing and clinging (to the overhead handles) in the bus, i would rather prefer riding the bike. Car is anyway ruled out

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There are a few people beating something with a steel rod or something and that is the work they are doing.
That made me

By the way, another thing I see with these idiots. The workers keep welding directly above the roads and sparks fall on innocent bikers moving below them. Not to mention, I was a victim too. One of my T-shirts got a huge hole on the left shoulder-sleeve and my mother was wondering what on earth I did to get such a huge burn! Ideally they should do such activities at late nights or early mornings when there is no traffic movement. Guys, please be careful and stay away from the extreme left side of the road below these flyover constructions.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th August 2011 at 14:33.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:40   #2520
BHPian

Today I was on my way to the office on the Yamalur-Bellandur route and there was a jam near Bellandur coz part of the road was closed for the Ganesh pooja celebrations. I was on my bike and waiting behind a queue of cars.
There was a little gap between 2 cars through which I could have squeezed in, but I didn't , coz I didn't want to risk a scratch on those cars. So while I was waiting patiently for the cars to move, an auto rickshaw guy came up behind me and started honking at me to go between those cars. I didn't get what his problem was coz he wouldn't gain anything if I squeezed through, he would still have to wait behind the car. When I pointed the same to him, he said he will squeeze through if I go.
I knew there is no way an auto rickshaw would fit in there ( even with the skill of the Bangalore Auto drivers ), but I had got tired of his constant honking, so I carefully squeezed through and then turned back and asked him to come through the gap. Ofcourse he didn't . I continued on my way without further confrontation as i didn't want to spoil my morning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks