Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:33   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Little confused from your posts - have they started building a flyover at Nayandahalli ORR-Mysore Rd junction connecting ORR to the Nagarbhavi side ? If so, this is exactly what we need ! (I thought the work was only for Metro)
There is Metro plus the two flyovers all being done at the same time
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:18   #2537
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Little confused from your posts - have they started building a flyover at Nayandahalli ORR-Mysore Rd junction connecting ORR to the Nagarbhavi side ? If so, this is exactly what we need ! (I thought the work was only for Metro)
NPV, Yes, There is a 2-level flyover planned between the ring road and mysore road junction. You can see more details in the below link.

The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : Nayandahalli grade separator to be ready by March next

Quote:
There's also:
1. the road/bridge over the drain connecting chord road near binny layout to Mysore Road near Gali Anjaneya temple - Work seems to be almost complete but why is it not being used ?
2. the NICE road/connection to NICE road has come up close to the road that goes into Girinagar from Mysore Road (road beside the Byatarayanapura Police Station). But this seems to be stuck at one place due to litigation. Once this is cleared I think it will connect NICE road back to Mysore Road near Byatarayanpura.
When #1 and #2 are complete, together it will form a loop/clover leaf connecting Chord road, Mysore road and NICE road but I don't know when it will see the light of day finally.
You are right. This project once complete will clear up the Mysore road traffic to a good extent. But we never seem to see the end of the tunnel with no visibility or update from BDA side.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:34   #2538
BHPian

Update on overpass at Mahadevpura on ORR:
Traffic was allowed towards EMC from KRPura, on the flyover today morning.

However the pain has always been on crossing Mahadevpura junction towards KRPura.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:02   #2539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
However the pain has always been on crossing Mahadevpura junction towards KRPura.
I really do not understand their logic! The known and documented bottlenecks were always the Bellandur and Intel junctions on the ORR, but these are being done at a snail's pace in comparison.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:38   #2540
BANNED

Quote:
YEAH!!

Who are these morons seriously? even if it is the other way round the could have let the ERC to KRpuram traffic use the flyover for the time being.

What morons seriously..
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:22   #2541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I really do not understand their logic! The known and documented bottlenecks were always the Bellandur and Intel junctions on the ORR, but these are being done at a snail's pace in comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
YEAH!!
Who are these morons seriously? even if it is the other way round the could have let the ERC to KRpuram traffic use the flyover for the time being.
What morons seriously..
These guys have absolutely no idea of the traffic flow at the important junctions. It was the traffic density at first, then came the crater's followed-by rains and now we have bus-stops bang on these 1-lane routes.

The traffic police are equally clueless and contributed to making the Mahadevpura junction (towards KRPura) a big mess, last week, by closing entry from the main-road for no reason.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:56   #2542
Team-BHP Support

Mysore Road is a total mess at the Nayandahalli/ORR junction. I've started using the NICE road to return from work (Mysore Road toll point - ORR Exit near PESIT). Costs extra fuel + toll, but my car loves me for it. I doubt I was saving any fuel in that awful traffic anyway, and burning though the clutch to make it worse.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:49   #2543
BANNED

So why do people in Bangalore drive on the wrong side.

Because that it what they are taught. Check:
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-25082011383.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-25082011384.jpg  

Old 25th August 2011, 14:12   #2544
Distinguished - BHPian

@Spitfire, that particular trip was in all probability was by the trainer / vehicle owner. There is onlw one person in the car, so it is not a case of a trainee / student driving the car there.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:25   #2545
BANNED

Hey condor.

I knew that was going to be the first point to be noted. Does it then make it legal?

The instructor is in the car. He is leaning back on the passenger seat. I was cycling stopped and had a good view. Before I could click the image where both could be seen it came perpendicular to me. Both could be instructors but then thats not the point.. Right??
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 15:42   #2546
Team-BHP Support

After a week of using the Domlur - HAL airport route to get to my office in Marathahalli (from Jayanagar), instead of the Silk board - Bellandur route via ORR (call me jobless to do these observations ), look at the difference these ORR flyover constructions are causing, in travel time and fuel consumed. This in spite of alternate route being ~5km more due to the detour. Vehicle used was RE Thunderbird twinspark.

* Departure time from home was 7.45am and departure time from office was 5pm

Via Silk board ORR route - 13.3km (Jayanagar > BTM > HSR > Agara > Bellandur > Marathahalli) :
- average travel time to office in the morning - 70 mins
- average travel time from office to home in the evening - 80 mins
- fuel efficiency - 33kmpl

Via domlur HAL route - 18.5km (Jayanagar > dairy circle > St. Johns > IRR > HAL > Marathahalli) :
- average travel time to office - 50 mins
- average travel time from office to home - 60 mins
- fuel efficiency - 40kmpl

plus more advantages in the domlur route :
* no potholes
* no flyover constructions
* very few bottlenecks, lot of signals but the traffic is more organized and so, engine can be switched off in most junctions

I'm not glorifying the second route. It is in fact adding 10km to the daily total commute so it is not practical. The point was to check how bad the ORR commute has become. I'll repeat this test for the next 2 weeks with my other bike, the p220. Need to see what is the difference in fuel efficiency in the p220 between these routes. I was a bit surprised to find the TBTS returning ~7kmpl lesser in the ORR route, didn't expect the mileage difference to be so big

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th August 2011 at 15:50.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:10   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
These guys have absolutely no idea of the traffic flow at the important junctions. It was the traffic density at first, then came the crater's followed-by rains and now we have bus-stops bang on these 1-lane routes.

The traffic police are equally clueless and contributed to making the Mahadevpura junction (towards KRPura) a big mess, last week, by closing entry from the main-road for no reason.
Atlast the Mahadevpura junction is no more a worry.

Now that the flyover is open for traffic towards EMC, the lane below which served the same purpose is being used for traffic towards KRPura. This section of the road is a blessing when compared to the lunar formation, earlier used by the traffic.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:24   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
After a week of using the Domlur - HAL airport route
Will give this a shot today.... Totally frustrated with the state of ORR at present!
Old 25th August 2011, 16:37   #2549
Senior - BHPian

I tried walking and bus yesterday - Life is better :-)

Walk - BTM 2nd Stage - Silkboard bus stop :- 10 min
Bus Volvo - Silkboard-Ecity - 20 min (Rs.30 bus Charge)
Old 25th August 2011, 16:58   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is it recommended to use ORR to commute from Marathalli to Hebal? and how is the traffic scene on this route around 7ish in the morning?

thanks!

Most Viewed